Forums > Model Colloquy > Wardobe question

Model

evavonrose

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I am currently doing pinup and vintage modeling. All group and solo TFP shoots.
I buy at lot of my clothes from Pinup Girl Clothing. Their stuff is really nice but dresses can run $100 or more.
So without any income from my modeling I'm wondering, how many times can I wear the same dress or outfit to a shoot?
Once?
Twice?
More?
Only if requested by photographer to be worn again?
No one is providing clothes for me so I have to work with what I have...I just don't want photographers or followers to get tired of the same 10 or so outfits.
Any insight would be helpful.

Mar 10 17 01:12 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Be a little more creative in the outfits.  Instead of buying a pin up girl brand that someone else designed, start shopping at thrift stores and creating contemporary pin up looks and off the wall pin up looks.    Also, go to estate sales and auctions.  When my mother died, her granddaughters picked through her closet for the "vintage" clothing.  Ask older women if they would be interested in giving or selling some of their older clothing to you.  Put ads in Craigs list and stuff.

If you are buying an outfit for a shoot and the photographer requests/demands that you not shoot other sessions in the same outfit, the photographer should be paying for the outfit.  Otherwise, wear them more often.  are you given the photographer the choice of what you are wearing?  Or are you showing up in something and shooting that.

Start shooting nudes.  One skin will be acceptable for every photographer.  Seems like one dress aught to be also.  One of the reasons that I hear from models about their preference to shoot nudes is they don't have to deal with wardrobe so much.

Start asking (insisting/demanding) to be paid for shoots and to be reimbursed for your expenses.  You can't live off of TF.  Sooner or later you have to admit that you have the experience and look and wardrobe to justify being paid for your work.

Peace.

Mar 10 17 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I shoot a fair amount of pin up.  Most of the serious pin up models and vintage models live the life style.  They purchase many items from a number of fantastic online stores in the US and England. 

I personally don't like "modern pin up" to me that's just glamour shooting not pin up.  I like period clothes or new clothes designed with an authentic 40s and 50s look and feel.

If you are interested please pm me and I can put you in touch with one of my pin up models who would love to share info on where you can shop on line.

As far as Vintage there are usually vintage stores the have ouster wear, dresses and intimates some as far back as the early 1900s to 1980.  Of course you will be mostly interested in the garments from the 40s through the 60s.

Mar 12 17 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

In my opinion, you can wear the same clothing as many times as you like. If we were shooting together, I'd have my own ideas about poses, props, etc., and I'd want to hear any ideas you had on my proposals and "what I wish I'd done with that other photographer." I don't care whether three dozen other photographers have photos of you in the same clothes. If I end up believing that I've created the best images of you in that outfit, then I will take pride in having done so. If I see some as better and others as worse, then I'll try to learn from both.

Sometimes, I notice specials on clothing that I'd like to shoot on a model and order them. In those cases, I try to pick them up and offer TFW (Time for wardrobe) shoots. Maybe you could find an amateur photographer willing to do the same.

Mar 12 17 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

evavonrose wrote:
I am currently doing pinup and vintage modeling. All group and solo TFP shoots.
I buy at lot of my clothes from Pinup Girl Clothing. Their stuff is really nice but dresses can run $100 or more.
So without any income from my modeling I'm wondering, how many times can I wear the same dress or outfit to a shoot?
Once?
Twice?
More?
Only if requested by photographer to be worn again?
No one is providing clothes for me so I have to work with what I have...I just don't want photographers or followers to get tired of the same 10 or so outfits.

More.
Photographers generally wouldn't care if an outfit was shot elsewhere. It doesn't affect their images.
Only issue is if the images were for widespread publication. (more exclusivity would be wanted)
The condition of the clothing is what  matters. Laundry is hard on fabrics. 
                (hand wash, and only when needed, ironed, starched as required)

Work on a strong unique look that you can call your own.
Google (image search)     ---->  Steam Girl
                                          ---->  Dita
                                          ---->  Jade Vixen

Mar 13 17 07:44 am Link

Model

RemyAlexis

New York, New York, US

As a model I would say I never wear the same outfit to a shoot twice. I guess it's a little easier for me because I do a lot of portrait, casual wear and underwear/lingerie so not as stylistic as pin-up but THRIFT STORES are your best friend. I do online shopping on sites that have a lot of sales, and even when they don't, they always have good style. Nastygal used to be great but now it's under new ownership so I would not recommend. For pin-up, I LOVE Dolls Kill. Missguided is also great because they have a crazy amount of choices and are very affordable. Right now they have a 50% off everything sale. You can also try Ebay and Amazon. But thrift, thrift, thrift.
Even if you want to use the same clothes multiple times, make sure you change it up a bit, mix and max, etc.

Mar 13 17 04:00 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

You wear it as often as you can, for every possible shoot to get the most out of your garment, BUT: I'd only keep ONE image of the respective outfit in your own port. For diversity.

I have also great success in the "better" part of town and their thrift stores.

Mar 21 17 07:15 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I agree that one image of a given outfit/dress in your portfolio is the most I would generally go with, at least if you can keep it limited to that.

However, I have several pieces that I've reused many times and I've had requested many times by photographers. You will get some photographers who only want to shoot "new" stuff you haven't shot in before, but you'll also find some who love a piece of wardrobe from a photo in your portfolio and want to shoot it. Lately I've been coming across more of the latter.

I suggest practicing styling pieces in different ways. For pin-up maybe try wearing a sweater or cardigan over the dress. That might get you a few more looks in at least. Or maybe buy skirts and tops so you can mix and match more.

Mar 22 17 03:04 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Look out for local buy/sell/trade  (or national if you're open to deal with the shipping) pin up groups on Facebook, and maybe also look into bunz, you don't have to keep buying these name brand things brand-new, or you can at least supplement the cost of the new one by selling the old one

Mar 22 17 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

evavonrose wrote:

RemyAlexis wrote:
As a model I would say I never wear the same outfit to a shoot twice. .

^ This

I've been styling and provide wardrobe, I would never want to see the same thing twice, a Shoe or Hairpiece maybe. .

Mar 22 17 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I have a sweater that I've worn for over twenty years.

A wife I've lived with for almost sixty years.

Costumes that have been worn by almost every one of my models in the past ten years at some point (although they don't necessarily appear in my portfolio all that often.

As far as I'm concerned, if it works, it works.  Why dump a good thing?

All IMHO as always, of course.

Mar 22 17 06:40 pm Link