Forums > Photography Talk > Question for the pros: liability insurance

Photographer

MikeSchwarzPhotography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I’ve been shopping around for liability insurance policies for photography businesses that cover $1 million in damages (seems to be what most location require), but have found a wide range of policies and providers from questionably cheap to super expensive.  I’m not talking about equipment insurance, but liability insurance that covers you (and the location if listed) in the event someone gets injured by you, your assistants, or your gear.

Photographers that have liability insurance:
1.    Who do you use?
2.    How much are your premiums/coverage amount/deductible?
3.    What do you look for when selecting insurance?

Apr 29 17 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

First you have to ask them if the insurance company is "admitted" in Florida.  That means are they registered to sell insurance by the state insurance commissioner.  You don't care about them selling insurance but you do care if they screw you, you have some government agency to complain to.  Non-admitted carriers and secondary market carriers can deny your claim, screw you around, screw you and the only option you have is to file a law suit in the state they are located in. It's hard to threaten someone if they know you have to fly to the other side of the country to carry out the threat.  If they are admitted in Florida you get to complain to the State and to file locally.  At last check PPA insurance was non-admitted in Florida.

I use APA insurance service in Georgia. http://www.apainsuranceservices.com/  Two million in coverage with a one thousand dollar deductable costs me under $500.00 ( I've had them for about ten years).   There is also Hull & Usher or R.V. Nuccio on the web to check out.

AND FOR ALL TO REMEMBER, JUST BECAUSE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY SAYS THERE IS NO COVERAGE OR THEY WILL NOT COVER A LOSS IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON'T OWE IT. IT JUST MEANS THEY AREN'T GOING TO WRITE THE CHECK, .....YOU ARE.

Apr 29 17 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

KevinBollerPhotography

Fort Myers, Florida, US

I have a policy with Hiscox.  When I talked to them they seemed really up on photography, and my lawyer approved the policy.  Mine is under $400 a year for a million.  Cheap vs. the alternative of not having it!  I have been with them for about 4 years.  Had my studio insured with them also.

Apr 29 17 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I get my insurance from Taylor and Taylor 212-490-8511.  I carry 3 million since I work with a lot of kids and it seems lately that is the amount of coverage some locations require.

I have my studio insurance, equipment insurance, liability, and production insurance through them and it runs me around a grand a year for this total package.

One thing I like about Taylor and Taylor is that when I email them requesting a certificate of insurance for somebody, that certificate is back in my hands via email within 30 minutes or so.

I have had my insurance with them for 5-6 years.  I had one claim last summer when I dropped and smashed a camera.  I had a check within a few days.

Apr 30 17 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Consider talking to your current insurance agent (assuming that you have home and/or auto insurance).

I used my State Farm agent to set up my business policy for liability and equipment rider. I already had home and auto with them and get a discount for having multiple policies. I don't remember how much the liability portion of my policy is but my total is a little more than $700/yr

$1 million liability should cover your for most eventualities. I have occasionally heard of locations asking for $2 million. I have never heard of any requirement for $3 million.

Apr 30 17 06:53 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

I get my insurance through Hill & Usher (The Hartford).  Their Package Choice program is set up for photographers and videographers and they are very knowledgeable.  Premiums are based in large part on how much gear you have covered, so the only way to get an apples to apples price comparison is to get a quote for your needs and your gear.

Apr 30 17 06:55 am Link

Apr 30 17 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just like with auto insurance, you should shop around and shop around annually. Insurance companies basically think of local customers as suckers because the longer you stay with Company A, odds are you can get a better deal with companies B, C, and D and they know it.

I was with Hiscox for 2 years at $400/year for $1million/2 million just for liability and started fishing around. At WPPI I met the reps at Allstate...a company you wouldn't normally think of for photographer insurance but they were there. I'm now paying $300/year for better liability ($2 million/4 million) plus up to $20,000 in equipment insurance.

Apr 30 17 11:23 am Link

Photographer

DBS

Belton, Missouri, US

I've heard good things about PPA and am considering using them.

Apr 30 17 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

I am a member of APA and have my insurance through them.  The actual insurance policy is from Hartford.

Liability $2M.
Inland Marine $15K
Total:  about $450/year  (plus the cost of APA membership)

Thanks, Vector, for the head's up about PPA's not being strictly regulated in Florida.  That's good info.

May 01 17 08:08 am Link

Photographer

MikeSchwarzPhotography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Thank you! That's exactly the information and experiences I was looking for.  I'm chasing down quotes from some of the providers mentioned to see who has the best rates with comprehensive coverage.

May 02 17 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

KevinBollerPhotography wrote:
I have a policy with Hiscox.  When I talked to them they seemed really up on photography, and my lawyer approved the policy.  Mine is under $400 a year for a million.  Cheap vs. the alternative of not having it!  I have been with them for about 4 years.  Had my studio insured with them also.

I've used them for liability for things that are not photography related - $300/year for $1 million in coverage.

May 03 17 12:17 am Link

Photographer

TestShoot

Beverly Hills, California, US

I used Hill & Usher, let my policy lapse after a year of inactivity, they would not write a new one. Hiscox got my business. Worth it. Expect around $400

Jun 19 17 11:16 pm Link