Forums > General Industry > Camera Setups for indoor shoots.

Photographer

WGordxn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

What's a great camera setup for indoor shoots?
currently have a 50mm, 18-55mm kit and 55-200mm.

50mm restricts me because it is a fixed lens.
18-55mm isn't as crisp as the 50mm.

What lens do you typically run for tight spaces?

along with that what extra lighting do you use?

May 05 17 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Macx Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

what about it?

May 05 17 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I generally set my aperture between 1.4 and 22, my shutter speed somewhere between 1/4 and 1/250.  I almost never shoot less than 14mm or more than 300mm.  Usually use between 0 and 5 strobes set between 2.5 to 640Ws.
Most of the time, I use a single point auto focus.

Did you want to be most specific?

May 07 17 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

WGordxn

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I generally set my aperture between 1.4 and 22, my shutter speed somewhere between 1/4 and 1/250.  I almost never shoot less than 14mm or more than 300mm.  Usually use between 0 and 5 strobes set between 2.5 to 640Ws.
Most of the time, I use a single point auto focus.

Did you want to be most specific?

no need for the sarcastic and ignorant response.

for some reason the rest of the orignal post didn't go through.

thank you.

May 12 17 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

WGordxn

May 12 17 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WGordxn wrote:

thank you.

Your OP was unbelievably vague so you got a sarcastic response.

Personally, I have four main lenses I work with.

14-24mm f/2.8
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.4

Lighting is based on need. I use Paul C Buff lights sometimes, other times speedlights. It just depends on the situation. There is no single answer to your question.

May 12 17 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Indoors tight spaces, I use mostly 35mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4.  Lighting, usually just ambient and window.  Though, just started using a speedlight bouncing up the ceiling.

May 12 17 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I use an 18-55mm kit lens

Lighting setup depends on which studio I am renting, but usually 2 strobe lights or 2 continuous lights, but if natural light is available then I'd rather shoot with natural light.

If I'm not working in a studio but in someone's home or a hotel room then I'll just use a speedlight.

I would prefer a lens that goes between 55 and 70 to fill the gap between my 2 lenses as I sometimes find 50 isn't close enough and 75 is too close

May 12 17 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I shoot as my main lens an 18-35mm sigma on metabones on a gh4 panasonic.  I fire godox ad 200 flashes that I can carry in my regular bag rather than having a larger flash that needs another bag.  Seems to be enough.  I am usually at about an f/5.6 unless its a group shot then I want to be closer to f/8 or f/11.

May 12 17 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

WGordxn wrote:

thank you.

I actually answered your question.  I have shot indoors, at all different distances with ALL of those apertures, shutter speeds and focal lengths.  Sometimes I use strobes, sometimes I use window light.  The point is there is NO best answer.  But here's a specific scenario.

#1  When shooting catalog against a white paper backdrop for full length shots, I use two strobes set at about 200Ws with barndoors on the background, and a large 4' octobox on a third strobe set at about 400Ws.  I generally sit about 6 feet from the model and I use a 24-70mm lens at about 50mm.  I use an aperture of 5.6-8 and a shutter speed of 1/200.

#2 When shooting my doorway series, I use two strobes in the hallway at about 320Ws each.  I'll sit about 20 feet from the model and shoot with a 105mm lens at about f/8 and 1/200.

You can see that unless you ask about a SPECIFIC situation with SPECIFIC equipment looking for a SPECIFIC result, answering your question is difficult at best.  Here's my suggestion.  Don't bother with the 55-200mm lens.  It qualifies as a lens since there's pieces of glass in it, but that's about it.  There's a reason they throw them in the box with the purchase of a camera.

And for the record, you can't really fault me for a snarky answer based on what I saw you post which you admit was a single line and without the other information.  There was a time when these forums were fun.

May 14 17 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

WGordxn wrote:
What's a great camera setup for indoor shoots?
What lens do you typically run for tight spaces?

Depends on body (FX or DX) genre and client expectations...

Beauty and/or headshot in tight? AF 100mm Tokina f/2.8D macro (FX) or AF 60mm f/2.8D micro Nikkor (DX)
illumination? 22" BD with grid and sock

Full length? AF 35-70mm F/2.8D Nikkor (FX) or AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX HMS OS Sigma  (DX)
illumination? 40" x 60" softbox

WGordxn when I was starting to build a kit I had only a D300 w/ AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 DX VR lens
It worked fine provided I stopped it down to f/8 (it's sweet spot)
Keep in mind every lens is different, you have to test your glass to determine where it's potential/limitations are. Asking on an Internet forum is not a substitute for optimizing what you already have...

I assume you're shooting a crop body, if so look to the AF-S 35mm f/1.8G Nikkor in as it's likely your wisest option here. It should have been the first lens you purchased (in my humble estimation) but out of the gate novice shooters typically go for zoom optics and vibration reduction only to discover that the trade offs in acuity and resolution are far more limiting than they ever could have initially perceived.  Experience is a brutal teacher here... 

All the best on your journey...

May 14 17 07:09 pm Link