Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Ten Things To Do If You Really Hate Your Job

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Good advice!
For ANYTHING

https://www.experience.com/alumnus/arti … 0473321734

Personally I'm working on no. 6.

Put on your shield and armor when you enter your workplace. Everyone should learn how to create a psychic shield. Imagine that you are surrounded by an outer shell that is made of a solid material -- so strong that nothing can get through to hurt you. Some people prefer to imagine a protective golden light, but I think the solid shield is stronger. Take two or three minutes to put on your shield, every day, before you enter the workplace.

Jun 26 17 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

After I graduated college, I got a great software engineering job in Silicon Valley.  At first, I was enthusiastic, and had the energy to go out & have fun in the evenings & the weekends.  But the biggest adjustment between grad school & work was the long slog on a single, never ending project.  In grad school, I was working on ~4 projects simultaneously, so I had more variety, and those "projects" ended when the semester ended..  At work -- it was 40+ hours all on the same stuff.

15 years later, in the mid-90s, I was practically an automaton -- get up in the morning, put in my hours, go home, watch TV, go to sleep, and do it again the next day.  But my father developed Alzheimer's, and my sister & I were semi-forced to buy & run Dad's business.  That was very difficult, because Dad couldn't explain the business to us.  So, I put in 40+ hours at my "real" job and another 25-30 hours on the family business.  This was simply not sustainable.

So, I decided that I would "retire" from the real job before the year 2000, and I gave my bosses 5 years notice.  They laughed at me, but then they saw that I was serious.  The family business brought in money, and I started buying rentals here in Portland.  For a few years there, I bought a rental a year.  It was kinda easy -- when I took on the family business, I didn't change my lifestyle, so the extra income was channeled into the rentals.

Here's the important part:  I had a five year objective and a five year plan for myself.  And I was executing that plan, seeing progress towards my personal goals.

Here's the interesting part:  I relaxed a lot at the "real" job.  When things blew up & scheduled started slipping, I was the guy who was calm, confident, and constructive.  I was able to solve problems and lead the team forward out of the muck.  As I relaxed, I got better at my job.  I got promoted.  I was given better assignments.  Everything got better.

So, my advice -- define your goals outside of your job, develop a plan to reach those goals, and surprising things might happen.

Jun 26 17 06:56 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
After I graduated college, I got a great software engineering job in Silicon Valley.  At first, I was enthusiastic, and had the energy to go out & have fun in the evenings & the weekends.  But the biggest adjustment between grad school & work was the long slog on a single, never ending project.  In grad school, I was working on ~4 projects simultaneously, so I had more variety, and those "projects" ended when the semester ended..  At work -- it was 40+ hours all on the same stuff.

15 years later, in the mid-90s, I was practically an automaton -- get up in the morning, put in my hours, go home, watch TV, go to sleep, and do it again the next day.  But my father developed Alzheimer's, and my sister & I were semi-forced to buy & run Dad's business.  That was very difficult, because Dad couldn't explain the business to us.  So, I put in 40+ hours at my "real" job and another 25-30 hours on the family business.  This was simply not sustainable.

So, I decided that I would "retire" from the real job before the year 2000, and I gave my bosses 5 years notice.  They laughed at me, but then they saw that I was serious.  The family business brought in money, and I started buying rentals here in Portland.  For a few years there, I bought a rental a year.  It was kinda easy -- when I took on the family business, I didn't change my lifestyle, so the extra income was channeled into the rentals.

Here's the important part:  I had a five year objective and a five year plan for myself.  And I was executing that plan, seeing progress towards my personal goals.

Here's the interesting part:  I relaxed a lot at the "real" job.  When things blew up & scheduled started slipping, I was the guy who was calm, confident, and constructive.  I was able to solve problems and lead the team forward out of the muck.  As I relaxed, I got better at my job.  I got promoted.  I was given better assignments.  Everything got better.

So, my advice -- define your goals outside of your job, develop a plan to reach those goals, and surprising things might happen.

Thank you for the stellar advice.  Oddly, I'm up for a MUCH better job at the same place of business, just more up my alley and working for the president (not as an Executive Admin or anything like that).

I'm going to come up with a plan without a doubt.  I've been very aggressive with my job search.  The positions I apply for are a far cry from flipping burgers if you know what I mean.

On the brink of going a little crazy here not utilizing my skills. It's like having a Dodge Demon and driving it 20 miles an hour everywhere.

Jun 26 17 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

While I didn't click the link (I almost never click external links), I think there is only one thing to do when one hates their job ... get another one.

My father used to say there were only two perfect jobs ..... the one you just left and the one you're going to next. For a long time I thought he was out of his mind. As time went on, I came to realize that no job is ever ideal but those where I am the boss are the most satisfying so I'm the boss now.

There are still jobs where I could make more money but none where I can have more time off, free time even if I'm still working or ones where I can take on the projects I like and skip the ones where I don't.  I think the world would be a much better place if more people were self employed.

Jun 26 17 02:25 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
While I didn't click the link (I almost never click external links), I think there is only one thing to do when one hates their job ... get another one.

My father used to say there were only two perfect jobs ..... the one you just left and the one you're going to next. For a long time I thought he was out of his mind. As time went on, I came to realize that no job is ever ideal but those where I am the boss are the most satisfying so I'm the boss now.

There are still jobs where I could make more money but none where I can have more time off, free time even if I'm still working or ones where I can take on the projects I like and skip the ones where I don't.  I think the world would be a much better place if more people were self employed.

True, true. When I master my job, I get bored. I think I'm ready for a better job with greater responsibility & better money! I'm amazed how I have to instruct people how to do the most basic things. I wonder how they keep their jobs!

Jun 26 17 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I dont hate my job so much as I hate working in general.
I must have won the lottery in a past life cause not being able to be free every morning to just go and do what I want seems terribly...terribly wrong.

the only advice I can give thats realistic to anyone suffering in a bad workplace, is to ingratiate yourself to people with power at work. every jump in paygrade I've gotten thru my almost 30 years working at the corporation I work at was by doing that. not necessarily by deserving it lol.
sure I've suffered a few losses of dignity here and there, but I'm pretty much in a very good place because of it.

Jun 26 17 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Y'know -- a lot of these problems go away if you are self-employed.  Then again, a lot of new problems pop up if you are self-employed.

(I've been mostly self-employed for nearly 20 years & could conceive of getting hired to work for someone else).

Jun 26 17 08:01 pm Link

Model

Cwen

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Subscribing for the motivational aspects... smile I just quit my job and I'm on the road modeling full-time again. No regrets yet. I should formulate myself a five-year plan, though.

Jun 26 17 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I dont hate my job so much as I hate working in general.
I must have won the lottery in a past life cause not being able to be free every morning to just go and do what I want seems terribly...terribly wrong.

the only advice I can give thats realistic to anyone suffering in a bad workplace, is to ingratiate yourself to people with power at work. every jump in paygrade I've gotten thru my almost 30 years working at the corporation I work at was by doing that. not necessarily by deserving it lol.
sure I've suffered a few losses of dignity here and there, but I'm pretty much in a very good place because of it.

Some students complained about inconsistent profs and how they wanted different things such as using different style manuals for papers.
My atitude was that this was practice for work where what they wanted isn't laid out in a syllabus! 😊
College is a training opportunity among other things.

Positive thoughts--I can point to resources. PM me if interested.

Jun 27 17 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Y'know -- I kinda think that most people enter the work force unprepared.  In school, typically each student is on his/her own, and if she or he messes up, the student is the only one who fails.  At work, if a worker messes up, the whole organization is impacted.  Thus, at work, there are aspects & skills that are required that are just not (typically) taught in school.  These include teamwork, leadership, coaching, communication, organization, and so on.

I always thought that there are five aspects that make up job satisfaction:
...  The people you work with,
...  The people you work for,
...  The people who work for you,
...  The work itself, and
...  The work environment.
If any one of these aspects are skewed, you will hate your job.

But the key is that each individual has potentially great impact on all these aspects, and the best employees are often the ones who can make improvements in all five categories.  Often, those actions are subtle, and the methodologies are often not taught in school, but these are essential skills, if you ask me.

You hate your jobs?  It happens.  You can leave, but what are the odds that the next job will be any better?  And what exactly happens at the job to make you hate it.  Alternatively, if you hate your job, you can see if you can fix it.  If you can, you likely just became a more valuable employee.

Jun 27 17 09:03 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

When looking for a new job, don't reveal what you made elsewhere! 

Employers in CT are sneaky.  They give you all these pre-qual questions and salary is one of them.  Technically they can verify that if they so desire and you agree.  Sometimes you HAVE to agree.

http://www.payscale.com/data/salary-his … 3-97704885

“By prohibiting employers from asking about salary history during the hiring process, we will ensure that being underpaid once does not condemn anyone to a lifetime of inequity,” said Public Advocate Letitia James, lead sponsor of legislation banning employers in New York City from asking applicants for their salary history. The law takes effect on Oct. 31, 2017, and follows similar measures passed in the city of Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. And last year, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (Dem.-DC) introduced a bill to prohibit employers from asking job candidates for their salary history during the job interview or salary negotiation process on the national level.

Jun 29 17 07:59 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Y'know -- I kinda think that most people enter the work force unprepared.  In school, typically each student is on his/her own, and if she or he messes up, the student is the only one who fails.  At work, if a worker messes up, the whole organization is impacted.  Thus, at work, there are aspects & skills that are required that are just not (typically) taught in school.  These include teamwork, leadership, coaching, communication, organization, and so on.

I always thought that there are five aspects that make up job satisfaction:
...  The people you work with,
...  The people you work for,
...  The people who work for you,
...  The work itself, and
...  The work environment.
If any one of these aspects are skewed, you will hate your job.

But the key is that each individual has potentially great impact on all these aspects, and the best employees are often the ones who can make improvements in all five categories.  Often, those actions are subtle, and the methodologies are often not taught in school, but these are essential skills, if you ask me.

You hate your jobs?  It happens.  You can leave, but what are the odds that the next job will be any better?  And what exactly happens at the job to make you hate it.  Alternatively, if you hate your job, you can see if you can fix it.  If you can, you likely just became a more valuable employee.

I think the full-timers at my job make too many glib comments about contract employees, their length of time at the company, etc.  It's counter-productive and annoying.

Since I do mostly project management and data analysis (not everyone can do this kind of work), it seems bullshit that I'm not full-time.

Oh well.  I've raised my metrics way up and decided to do my craptastic job the best I can.  Getting accolades at work means nothing to me. 

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CkkpI0m1alk/TTVFTkmBYlI/AAAAAAAAAEk/bEYp6HdXQBU/s1600/show+me+the+money.jpg

Jun 29 17 08:56 am Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I hate my supervisor and manager.

The supervisor has been a bitch since she started a year ago, thankfully he's been moved to a new position starting August 1st, and we are getting a supervisor that should never have been replaced by this bitch.

The manager is a total prick.  Talks like Trump "you know I'm always honest with you right?"  A couple of weeks ago we had a conference call.  I checked in on the call but he never acknowledged me.  After a few other checked in and he acknowledged them I checked in again.  His repsonse was I heard you several times so now I'm just going to talk over you.

There are also a few people who have more years in the company than me but still cant do the job, that irritates the hell out of me!

Jul 10 17 08:25 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

MarkGerrardPhotography wrote:
I hate my supervisor and manager.

The supervisor has been a bitch since she started a year ago, thankfully he's been moved to a new position starting August 1st, and we are getting a supervisor that should never have been replaced by this bitch.

The manager is a total prick.  Talks like Trump "you know I'm always honest with you right?"  A couple of weeks ago we had a conference call.  I checked in on the call but he never acknowledged me.  After a few other checked in and he acknowledged them I checked in again.  His repsonse was I heard you several times so now I'm just going to talk over you.

There are also a few people who have more years in the company than me but still cant do the job, that irritates the hell out of me!

I'm sorry to hear that.  I can't stand people who belittle others.  It leaves you despondent and angry.

Our hours have changed at my company.  We were forced to take every other Friday off.  Cool right?  No, it's not cool.  I don't get my full 40 hours a week now.  I finally agreed to work one week 40 straight hours and the second week 36 hours, 9 hours a day.  I lose a day a month as I'm a contractor.  This all could have been avoided if they would have paid me time and a half for a lousy extra 4 hours (44 hours the first week) but hey, they're cheap bastards.

500 million in revenue this company makes.  WTF

I feel despondent and depressed every day I am here.  Oddly, they really love my work here and want me to stay... as a 'temp', but it sounds nicer saying "contractor".

I do a kickass job wherever I am at whether I absolutely hate the job or not, that's just how I roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWkDiGxir4

Jul 11 17 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It is usually poor management that causes employees to switch departments or leave jobs.

Jul 11 17 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Sobe

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Its not the Job for me,its the Toxic humanoids we have to put up with.

Jul 11 17 07:31 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I hardly speak to anyone here.  I come in, do my work, say a Good Morning maybe to one person, then say Good Night and go home.

It truly sucks; I can not relate to anyone here so I am SUPER introverted and just go through the motions.

I used to work at places where I was very lively.  In the wrong environment, I shut down completely.

This is interesting.
http://www.more.com/money/career-advice … 6-20170711

Yep.

3. Create Boundaries
Dr. Gilda Carle, author of Don't Lie On Your Back for A Guy Who Doesn't Have Yours, has experienced countless come-ons and flirtatious advantages in her career, and discovered it was up to her to set boundaries and keep her intentions from being misconstrued.

"Every time I let my guard down and was friendly it was misinterpreted," she says. "We're walking a tight line—Don't be too chummy, but you can't be too reserved because then the man who's talking to you will feel you're cold."

This screams double standard—friendly men are the life of the office, while reserved guys are viewed as intelligent and focused—not cold or prudish.

I'll go with cold than anything else.  I REALLY hate it when I'm having a conversation with a man and he ALWAYS like clockwork tries to make something into a sexual innuendo.

Losers.

Jul 11 17 07:44 am Link

Model

Ellie-D

Lawrence, Kansas, US

If you're allowed to, put on music or listen to podcasts. It really does help pass the time like whoa. I work in the housekeeping business at hotels, so I can listen to anything I want on my headphones, and it helps so much.

Otherwise, when I used to work the really shitty jobs in restaurants and fast food, I would just zone out in my head and keep myself busy. If you make tips, turn it into a game of What Can I Do To Increase My Tips Today? and then focus on tinkering around with your mannerisms to experiment with what works and what doesn't when it comes to guests and customers.

I've had yet to have a front desk job that lasted more than a month. If they don't allow me some free time to surf the internet or SOMETHING to occupy my downtime during those types of jobs, I will literally start falling asleep standing up. My last front desk boss didn't like that so much, so I didn't last there, unfortunately. Heh. In that instance, I'm not sure what advice to give you. Just keep your mind busy somehow! Anything you can do to pass the time helps.

As for annoying co-workers and supervisors--I'd just do my best to ignore them, and if it got too bad I'd just search for a different job. I can't stand working with rude/annoying co-workers for too long, especially because I actively try to be so nice to people. If you're being mean/rude to me, there is definitely a problem because I always do my best to treat people as nice as humanly possible when I'm out in public, it doesn't matter who you are. I make sure I stay polite and diligent when it comes to my work, and I expect the same respect in return.

I once had a boss who was on the worst power trip I'd ever seen someone on, and thankfully she fired me pretty quickly because otherwise that is one person who would've made me snap and do something stupid in retaliation eventually. She would literally treat me like a dog she was training, and just a lowerclass citizen to the other employees in general. I would be getting trained by an employee who would tell me what it was okay to do and what not to do, and then later have the boss lady on my ass for doing something that was COMPLETELY OKAY WITH HER OTHERWISE if so-and-so was doing it, but not me. She literally preferred certain employees over others and didn't hide it whatsoever. I'd never been treated with so much disrespect and discrimination in my entire life. I can't believe I even put up with it for the month that I did. Desperate for money at the time, I guess. It was a retail job at a privately owned clothing store, so I should've known better. I've always experienced a lot of bias and discrimination working at small privately owned businesses like that, where the senior employees are all close friends so the newer employees get the short end of the stick.

I always stick to bigger companies now that give me more protection against that sort of thing.

Jul 22 17 03:18 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Ellie-D wrote:
If you're allowed to, put on music or listen to podcasts. It really does help pass the time like whoa.

I once had a boss who was on the worst power trip I'd ever seen someone on...

I always stick to bigger companies now that give me more protection against that sort of thing.

All three for me.

I'm left to my own devices.  I manage myself and get stuff done.  I'm pure white collar corporate.  I do a lot of data analysis and project management.  The more I talk to exempt employees making big $ the more I laugh at the fact they're 'cool' with longer days.  Why?  They get paid so damn much, they're quite comfortable!

I like bigger companies for a myriad of reasons.
Thankfully the royal douchebag who I might add has NOTHING to do with my job in any way is leaving me alone.  Yay!

Everyone else is cool to me.  My boss is a selfish dick.  I don't care anymore. 
I keep being told what I good job I'm doing.  I'd rather make more money than receive the accolades.

lol

https://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/50/21/50/50215040d71a90a3c318759948a08fe9.jpg

Jul 27 17 10:07 am Link