Forums > Photography Talk > Older DSLR's That You Still Love and Use!

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Ray Murray wrote:
Would most certainly be the D7100. Remarkable piece of equipment!

I LOVE D7100's! Great bang for your buck. The tech may be old by digital standards (2012) but I think they are classics. Great print quality, decent video quality (sorry Canon and Sony kicks ass with video) and a legacy of Nikon glass access. The sensor is sightly larger than Canons DX at 1.5 instead of 1.6 and dual card slots. At today's prices I was able to buy D7100's cheaper than the Canon 80D. They are great all around economy pro level DX cameras. Great in the studio, on location and for events. They play well with D series lenses which is great for me and the 24MP is a welcomed plus to this proud 12MP shooter. Before my upgrades it was the D700, the D610, and the D90s. creating all the camera magic. Yep... I'm keeping them and using them.

Jul 01 17 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

FBY1K wrote:
I own a Panasonic GH4 and an Olympus EPL-7 PEN. Both are great camera but the CCD sensor based Olympus E-300 always has a soft spot. I used it alongside the PEN on my last shooting. It' no low light camera; I keep it between ISO 100-400, but I have the other two when I need to go beyond 400.

Starkey

I refer to Panasonic and Olympus as exotic gear. Much like Leica and Fuji. It's excellent gear with an exclusive following. I love the video that comes out of a Panasonic and the images that come out of an Olympus.

Jul 01 17 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

L O C U T U S wrote:
Nikon  D100 still running strong.
Nikon D2x over 200,000 shutter actuations and still going.

I never could come up with the money that Nikon wanted for the D100 at that time. I had bought the Nikon F100 (shortly before digital came out) with the 28-200mm 3.5 D lens. When the D70's came out, I got a good offer on my mint condition F100 body so I sold the camera and kept the lens. The 28-200 D lens is a permanent fixture on my D610. That's what I love about Nikon, you can use old glass on many of their cameras.

Jul 01 17 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Robb Mann wrote:
I have a D70 that was converted to Infrared. I use it sometimes. I still have an old D300 laying around, it may go infrared too.

I'd convert the D70 to infrared, but I would leave the D300 just as it is. That is still a great all around still DX camera.

Jul 01 17 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

Analog:
Sinar 4x5" and 8x10"
Mamiya RB67 Pro S / Pro SD

Digital:
Still use the 1Ds Mark II and 1Ds Mark III.
This is the Mark III, with 85/1.2L
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150804/01/55c07a1dd0e86_m.jpg

Jul 03 17 07:11 am Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

I've been using a Pentax K-7 for about seven or eight years now. I just recently replaced it with another used K-7. I also have an old K-x that has been converted to infrared.

Jul 03 17 07:19 am Link

Photographer

iamcurt

London, England, United Kingdom

Everything I've ever shot has been with a Canon T2i.

I can't afford anything better but it's also not too bad smile

Jul 03 17 07:32 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Love the Arts wrote:

I LOVE D7100's! Great bang for your buck. The tech may be old by digital standards (2012) but I think they are classics. Great print quality, decent video quality (sorry Canon and Sony kicks ass with video) and a legacy of Nikon glass access. The sensor is sightly larger than Canons DX at 1.5 instead of 1.6 and dual card slots. At today's prices I was able to buy D7100's cheaper than the Canon 80D. They are great all around economy pro level DX cameras. Great in the studio, on location and for events. They play well with D series lenses which is great for me and the 24MP is a welcomed plus to this proud 12MP shooter. Before my upgrades it was the D700, the D610, and the D90s. creating all the camera magic. Yep... I'm keeping them and using them.

How can a 2012 camera be considered a classic?

What does that make a 2009 camera, an an antique?

How about my 1999 F100, maybe that's pre-cambrian?

Legacy, classic, old school etc, yet another example of totally 'dumb' use of the english language!

Jul 03 17 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Jeffry Pittman

Woodland Hills, California, US

Nikon D3s and D700, Sony A900 and (though not a DSLR) my Leica M9.

Jul 03 17 09:45 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

fuji S2
takes nikon mount lenses

great color rendition

I mostly use it for ebay pix..but it is my backup digital camera to my main digital camera which is really just backup to all my film cameras

Jul 03 17 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

fotopfw wrote:
Analog:
Sinar 4x5" and 8x10"
Mamiya RB67 Pro S / Pro SD

Digital:
Still use the 1Ds Mark II and 1Ds Mark III.
This is the Mark III, with 85/1.2L
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150804/01/55c07a1dd0e86_m.jpg

16.7 MP still produces quality big prints. It's amazing how affordable they are on the used market at $600.00 to $900.

Jul 03 17 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

James S wrote:
I've been using a Pentax K-7 for about seven or eight years now. I just recently replaced it with another used K-7. I also have an old K-x that has been converted to infrared.

14.6MP for less than $300.00 used nowadays. They are great cameras with a long history and an uncertain future.
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/12/bye-by … -business/

Jul 03 17 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

iamcurt wrote:
Everything I've ever shot has been with a Canon T2i.

I can't afford anything better but it's also not too bad smile

The T2i is a wonderful Rebel camera. As your dollars increase or as other Canon cameras decrease on sale or in the used market to make space for new models, an upgrade could be within your grasp in the not so distant future. If you want it.

I have a T4i and I get beautiful 18MP images and video that I use for my web clients. I just added upgrades to my Canon system but I use the T4i often. One nice thing about owning multiple camera's (in addition to back up) is that you have the option to minimize shutter actuations on your higher end cameras or minimize wear and tear on camera's that you own of equal value.

Jul 03 17 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:

What does that make a 2009 camera, an an antique?

How about my 1999 F100, maybe that's pre-cambrian?

Legacy, classic, old school etc, yet another example of totally 'dumb' use of the english language!

Classic has multiple definitions here and this is not formal discourse.
Borrowed from Google.
Search Results
clas·sic
ˈklasik/
adjective
adjective: classic

judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
    "a classic novel"
    synonyms:    definitive, authoritative; More
    outstanding, first-rate, first-class, best, finest, excellent, superior, masterly
    "the classic work on the subject"
        (of a garment or design) of a simple elegant style not greatly subject to changes in fashion.
        "this classic navy blazer"
        synonyms:    simple, elegant, understated; More
        traditional, timeless, ageless
        "a classic style"
    remarkably and instructively typical.
    "Hamlet is the classic example of a tragedy"
    synonyms:    typical, archetypal, quintessential, vintage; More
    model, representative, perfect, prime, textbook
    "a classic example of Norman design"
    antonyms:    atypical

noun
noun: classic; plural noun: classics; plural noun: Classics; noun: Classic

a work of art of recognized and established value.
    "his books have become classics"
    synonyms:    definitive example, model, epitome, paradigm, exemplar; More
    great work, masterpiece
    "a classic of the genre"
        a garment of a simple, elegant, and long-lasting style.
        a thing that is memorable and a very good example of its kind.
        "he's hoping that tomorrow's game will be a classic"
    a school subject that involves the study of ancient Greek and Latin literature, philosophy, and history. 

" I think they are classics."

It's been 5 years since it's release and it has been updated with the D7200 and the newest release the D7500
The D7100 is older by digital standards, not ancient or antique but older. The build and image quality is excellent (IMHO).
They are no longer in production and they are a sought after camera because of their performance, quality and lower price point. I think that in time many appreciators of Nikon cameras will view the D7100 DX as fondly as they do the D700 which I think is a digital classic also. My use of classic here is totally subjective. Maybe contemporary classic works for you.... That was fun! smile

Jul 03 17 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Jeffry Pittman wrote:
Nikon D3s and D700, Sony A900 and (though not a DSLR) my Leica M9.

They are all wonderful cameras to love... and use! smile

Jul 03 17 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

goofus  wrote:
fuji S2
takes nikon mount lenses

great color rendition

I mostly use it for ebay pix..but it is my backup digital camera to my main digital camera which is really just backup to all my film cameras

I do like the Fuji's. Once upon a time, I wondered why one person would have bookshelves of cameras, fast forward to now, I totally get it!

Jul 03 17 01:11 pm Link