Forums > Photography Talk > Good schedule for Magazine Submissions?

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

I've been submitting some pictures to publishers.  Got my share of rejection letters and a couple acceptance letters.  One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to contact everyone without it taking 50 years.  Many publishers ask for exclusives.  I don't want to create a situation by submitting the same pictures to multiple publishers at the same time.

A few have listed how long it will take them to contact you.   I've seen as few  as 2 days (it took them 8 days) to a month in their guidelines.  Many don't list how long you should wait.  I've heard back a day later, weeks later or never from some.

What's a good time to wait for a response before submitting to a new publisher?

Jun 30 17 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

5 minutes

Jun 30 17 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Voy wrote:
5 minutes

Pretty much. And as far as how long before you submit the SAME photos ... Whatever they ask.

Forget right or wrong, and all that jazz. The only thing that matters is that if you're not willing to let them sit on an exclusive, there are lots of equally talented people that are. Unless you have a ton of clout, you don't get to dictate your terms - the same goes for athletes, financial advisors, and anybody else that's looking for work.

Jun 30 17 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've been working as a magazine photographer for many years, shooting models and submitting layouts to editors, art-directors, and publishers.

The average length of time it takes for me to get a response varies from a couple of weeks to in some cases as long as a year or more.

The factors involved in deciding if a layout should be published might depend on when the last time a similar layout was published, or if there was a need for a brunette, redhead or blonde model, or if the images had a theme that might relate to the time of year or holiday.

Basically, there is little that makes sense as to why sometimes you get a layout sold right away, or end up waiting a long time.

Most of the photographers that are in my business will set up a hidden webpage with a layout of photos on it, and send the link to several editors at the same time.  First come, first served, in most cases.  If another magazine wants a layout that was already sold, you just inform them that the photos are no longer available. That tends to get faster responses in the future.

KM

Jul 03 17 05:48 pm Link