Forums > General Industry > Disabled Model

Model

ChrisRuden

Boca Raton, Florida, US

My name is Chris Ruden and I recently started getting into modeling and have a few questions.

I was born with 2 fingers on my left hand and a shorter left arm and made a career out of it. I run a business from my Instagram and travel the country as a speaker to kids and adults ( I'm also diabetic and the strongest disabled powerlifter in the world etc )

I have a good physique and a decent face (at least my mom tells me that) but I am a little concerned about not being "symmetrical". I'm new to all this and want to be more than a social media model as I really think kids (especially those with chronic conditions) would benefit from seeing someone who isn't "perfect".

Any advice/thoughts on disabled modeling not just in the disabled community?

Jul 18 17 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Tears Of Joy

Orlando, Florida, US

Are you wanting to model to show your difference or hide it? 

All of the photos in your portfolio hide/minimize the difference in your arms.

Jul 18 17 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ChrisRuden wrote:

The ultimate question is, "Model what?"

That's a question only you can answer. If you have some physical challenges, the answer is basically no different than a beautiful model who's only 5'2". There are simply going to be some limitations on what you can model based on what the industry, as a whole, determines is a liability in you or not. It's really that simple. So the question is, what do you want to model?

Jul 18 17 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I would not see you as disabled, but as a bit more asymmetrical than most of us.  Your shorter arm is not all that noticeable. Your reduced hand is hidden in your photos, so I can only guess at its configuration.  Set against that is that you have a magnificent physique and are ruggedly handsome.

I was discussing those sorts of things with a model this afternoon who was concerned about some physical asttributes where she felt that she fell short, but she ended up agreeing with me that there is no perfect body, but there is a good number of bodies that are pretty good, and that pretty good is good enough to be a successful model.

Jul 20 17 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

You ask advice. I advise completing your profile info, so prospective shooters don't see the following:

Neck: 0"
Sleeve: 0"
Chest: 0"
Waist: 0"
Inseam: 0"
Shoe: 1.0

Jul 20 17 02:23 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

ChrisRuden wrote:
My name is Chris Ruden and I recently started getting into modeling and have a few questions.

I was born with 2 fingers on my left hand and a shorter left arm and made a career out of it. I run a business from my Instagram and travel the country as a speaker to kids and adults ( I'm also diabetic and the strongest disabled powerlifter in the world etc )

*snip*

Your answer is right there. You're really hot, seem talented from what I saw so far, and should get out there as much as possible.  But yea, fix up your stats and stuff first.
I'd also offer a blunt selfie, showing the arm and hand (full frontal disability, friend), plenty of folk interested in photographing the unusual and special.

Run with it. Why wouldn't you!?

https://www.modelsdirect.com/help-advic … led-models

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/16/1220 … -yes-i-can

https://www.facebook.com/AlexMinskyFanPage/  Alex Minsky is a Marine vet turned model. Great work...

Jul 20 17 09:34 pm Link

Model

ChrisRuden

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Tears Of Joy wrote:
Are you wanting to model to show your difference or hide it? 

All of the photos in your portfolio hide/minimize the difference in your arms.

I want to do both, I guess the concern is with not getting gigs/shoots due to asymmetries

Jul 23 17 08:51 am Link

Model

ChrisRuden

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Your answer is right there. You're really hot, seem talented from what I saw so far, and should get out there as much as possible.  But yea, fix up your stats and stuff first.
I'd also offer a blunt selfie, showing the arm and hand (full frontal disability, friend), plenty of folk interested in photographing the unusual and special.

Run with it. Why wouldn't you!?

https://www.modelsdirect.com/help-advic … led-models

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/16/1220 … -yes-i-can

https://www.facebook.com/AlexMinskyFanPage/  Alex Minsky is a Marine vet turned model. Great work...

Thank you!

Jul 23 17 08:52 am Link

Model

ChrisRuden

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
You ask advice. I advise completing your profile info, so prospective shooters don't see the following:

Neck: 0"
Sleeve: 0"
Chest: 0"
Waist: 0"
Inseam: 0"
Shoe: 1.0

I'll have my measurements done today! Thank you

Jul 23 17 08:52 am Link

Model

ChrisRuden

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
I would not see you as disabled, but as a bit more asymmetrical than most of us.  Your shorter arm is not all that noticeable. Your reduced hand is hidden in your photos, so I can only guess at its configuration.  Set against that is that you have a magnificent physique and are ruggedly handsome.

I was discussing those sorts of things with a model this afternoon who was concerned about some physical asttributes where she felt that she fell short, but she ended up agreeing with me that there is no perfect body, but there is a good number of bodies that are pretty good, and that pretty good is good enough to be a successful model.

Awesome thank you!

Jul 23 17 08:53 am Link

Model

ChrisRuden

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

The ultimate question is, "Model what?"

That's a question only you can answer. If you have some physical challenges, the answer is basically no different than a beautiful model who's only 5'2". There are simply going to be some limitations on what you can model based on what the industry, as a whole, determines is a liability in you or not. It's really that simple. So the question is, what do you want to model?

I'd love do fitness covers, cologne/watch type modeling, and lifestyle/fashion type shoots and I know sometimes the asymmetry can take away from the product so that is where my concern lies I guess

Jul 23 17 08:55 am Link