Forums > Photography Talk > Disk Repair

Photographer

EOS Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

My computer is having some problem reading images from a Seagate 1TB disk. It's asking me if I want t format the disk. I don't want to format the disk, as I have some MM model images in that disk including some nudes. Anybody have any suggestion where I can get the disk repaired? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Jul 18 17 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Are you using a Mac or PC?

Was the disk working with your computer before?

Is it a Mac formatted disk that you are trying to open on a PC?

Random questions due to insufficient information. big_smile

Jul 18 17 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

EOS Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I use both Mac and PC. This Seagate disk is designed to operate with both. It has been working with both Mac and PC at least for last three years.

Jul 18 17 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

EOS Photography wrote:
I use both Mac and PC. This Seagate disk is designed to operate with both. It has been working with both Mac and PC at least for last three years.

Have you tried to use it on both computers?

Jul 18 17 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

EOS Photography wrote:

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Have you tried to use it on both computers?

currently most external seagate disks come preformatted with fat32 which works on both mac and pc. most likely if the computer does not recognize the file system the partition table or the file allocation table has been trashed. you can try the techs at some stores like staples, office depot or best buy - but their techs are iffy and mostly driven by money. they can charge you and make the problem worse at the same time.

the other solutions at the recovery companies are also expensive (seagate and ontrack) $600 and up to look at the problem and tell you if it's possible - then the cost to recover goes up from there. a partition table repair utility may work - it's likely the least expensive.

just use the back-ups. if you have no back-ups, well, there is a lesson in there somewhere.

Jul 18 17 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

EOS Photography wrote:

currently most external seagate disks come preformatted with fat32 which works on both mac and pc. most likely if the computer does not recognize the file system the partition table or the file allocation table has been trashed. you can try the techs at some stores like staples, office depot or best buy - but their techs are iffy and mostly driven by money. they can charge you and make the problem worse at the same time.

the other solutions at the recovery companies are also expensive (seagate and ontrack) $600 and up to look at the problem and tell you if it's possible - then the cost to recover goes up from there. a partition table repair utility may work - it's likely the least expensive.

just use the back-ups. if you have no back-ups, well, there is a lesson in there somewhere.

Yes, but our OP has not been forthcoming with an abundance of information so I ask.
I've formatted disks on my Mac so I can install an older system and boot from that drive to use legacy software.
I don't have a PC at home so I don't know if Windows can see it or not.

Unless we know everything our OP is doiing, has done, etc., there are still unexplored possibilities.

I agree about Best Buy, I would avoid. There may be somebody on craigslist who could be vetted and knows what they are doing. Still a risk of total loss of data.

For that matter, the drive itself may be failing, sometimes they fail a bit and then die.

Jul 18 17 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

My suggestion is to boot up from a USB drive that has a linux OS installed on it.  After that attach the ext. drive.  If it mounts, you'll be able to grab any files on it.

Linux Mint would be my OS of choice.  I run it at home on my laptop.

I did this for a friend who's husbands laptop puked on them.

BTW, almost all of the linux distro's are free wink

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You can use this program actually install and create a live USB drive that will boot up in Mint.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

Jul 18 17 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

Sadly, the most valuable lessons are the ones that are the most painful. It's why every photo I shoot goes on a Raid 1 set of drives and is backed-up online. Unfortunately, I do this because I once too had to learn this lesson the hard way.

Jul 18 17 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

A scrambled index can sometimes be fixed using the  fdisk command with the "fix" option
It can also overwrite and destroy data
extreme caution !!

--- booting from another drive and using the command prompt ---
C:/fdisk/f

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google -->     seagate 1tb failure rate

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri … y-q3-2015/

Seagate customers swamped by Barracuda drive failures
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/1 … re_plague/

Seagate isolates 'potential' Barracuda flaw
Offers free firmware upgrade, data recovery
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/18 … _recovery/

http://www.seagate.com/

Jul 19 17 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The problem may be with the disc housing rather than the disc.  Try removing the hard drive and putting it in a dock to see if it mounts.

Jul 20 17 06:13 am Link