Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

.  .  .  over the last few months of 2016, and first few of 2017, I was able to help a good friend of mine (Al Carroll) complete his last design project  .  .  .  Al was succumbing to cancer, but wanted to get in "one more quality project" before it took him  .  .  .  his daughter found some old sketches he'd done decades ago for the "Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival" poster, but, had never submitted  .  .  .  we found out what the submission process was, and submitted the cleaned up sketches along with a letter telling of Al's long career in design, and present health situation  .  .  .  mere days before he passed, the committee informed me that his design had been accepted, and he would indeed be the artist responsible for this year's poster  .  .  .  in the months following his passing, we were able to bring his design to full flower, incorporating colour touches and design updates in a style in keeping with his design philosophies, and make the final piece print ready  .  .  .  the design was widely used leading up to the show (it's a very well known art festival nationally), and the supply of posters sold out very quickly, everyone involved was pleased, as I think Al would have been  .  .  .  today I was informed that the poster had won the PAF "best of" award in the 2017 Florida Print Awards  .  .  .  sometimes even an old grouch like me can do something nice  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jul 27 17 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

Congratulations, be it mixed with some sorrow. What a story, thanks for sharing.

Aug 10 17 07:48 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

fotopfw wrote:
Congratulations, be it mixed with some sorrow. What a story, thanks for sharing.

Al was a very good friend, I was glad I could help him finish his last project  .  .  .  thanks for the kind words  .  .  .

SOS

Aug 11 17 06:43 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Nice story.  I appreciate people that help others.

Do you have a link to the poster?  It would be nice to see it!

Aug 11 17 11:49 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Nice story.  I appreciate people that help others.

Do you have a link to the poster?  It would be nice to see it!

I'm not sure what the link is (there most likely is one, but, I'm fairly electronically inept  .  .  .  ).  Here's an electronic copy though  .  .  .

https://www.wpsaf.org/about/images/Poster_Art.jpg

.  .  .  it was a nice experience, I kept his wife and daughter very much involved in the process, I think it helped them deal with his loss  .  .  .

SOS

Aug 11 17 12:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

That is a nice piece.  Simple and elegant.

Aug 11 17 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

A person's legacy is their entire body of work. This is the cherry on top.

Aug 11 17 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
That is a nice piece.  Simple and elegant.

TY, that was Al's style, he was certainly a life long student of design, so balance, fluidity, typography and colour selection were all very important to him  .  .  .  I think we were able to capture the overall sense of what he was after pretty well  .  .  .  he got to see a final comp version that we put together before we lost him, and ever the perfectionist, made a list of updates he wanted incorporated  .  .  .  I would have expected no less  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Aug 11 17 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
A person's legacy is their entire body of work. This is the cherry on top.

He had a very long career as both a commercial designer and fine artist, he did wonderful oil pastels of natural Florida settings  .  .  .  we were able to get a few of the originals into some high end collections, and museums not only locally, but also statewide, and nationally  .  .  .  the dichotomy was that he was also a very sought after commercial designer, sometimes turning off one genre for the sake of the other proved difficult  .  .  .  that's usually when I got the call to finish up whatever commercial job he was doing, so he could go out and start on another drawing or painting  .  .  .  as his eyes and physical ability faded, taking on more and more commercial jobs seemed to fill his creative thirst, the poster design fully occupied his mind during the last weeks, he'd be at it from the time he awoke, until sleep would overcome him  .  .  . 

SOS

Aug 11 17 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

the poster is elegant.

Aug 14 17 12:29 pm Link