Forums > Photography Talk > A George Carlin Observation

Photographer

j francis photography

Los Angeles, California, US

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

- George Carlin

It's the same with technical knowledge in the arts. Anyone who cares less about it than you is an idiot who doesn't know their craft, and anyone who cares more about it than you needs to stop fixating on technical mumbo jumbo and go out and shoot.

YOU, however, are right in that Goldilocks sweet spot. Just the right mix.

Sep 05 17 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

j francis photography

https://ben-erdt.de/media/images//sketches/anatomy_training/exercise_8.jpg

All I know is there used to be a lot of people rolling their eyes and telling artists, "You don't need to study anatomy like that to be able to paint. That's stupid!"

Fortunately you don't hear so much from those people any more. At least in painting and drawing and sculpture.

Sep 05 17 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

j francis photography wrote:
"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

- George Carlin

If this is still your point of view after two years of driving practice you maybe better should stop driving...

At least this is a maniac point of view.

Sep 05 17 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

j francis photography

Totally.

Sep 06 17 10:01 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

George Carlin also said that with so many dicks and assholes on the road it's amazing we get anywhere.

Sep 07 17 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

That is why I prefer not drive so it does not matter to me who is faster or slow nor their reasons. I just enjoy the music, talk and landscape.

Sep 08 17 10:15 am Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

I miss that cynical old man.  He was a national treasure.

Sep 08 17 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

j francis photography wrote:

- George Carlin

my dad had a stroke in 1980s, he was in his 90s and i was living over 1,100 miles away. the national speed limit was 55 mph. luckily, i owned a  Alfetta GTV and was driving back and forth to visit. my view then was - anyone on the road was in my way.

Sep 08 17 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I'm an idiotic mania...  Or maybe a maniacal idiot...  I'm never sure...

Sep 11 17 08:18 am Link