Forums > General Industry > What does experienced mean?

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Waves hello to the Ancient Ones and looks around blowing dust off her portfolio.
I am looking around as I have moved and am renewing my interaction with this site...which i once was much more familiar with. *noticed that an old co mod Brian is still around and looks totally innocent.

So, I am looking around and seeing a lot of versions of experienced. OF COURSE one cannot force anyone to conform to any one idea of what they consider themselves...however I see many models and a few but less photographers claiming to know all about modeling with experience when all one sees is a few shoots with some awkward poses.

Very experienced to me means one has been in hundreds of shoots. Very experienced means one has worked with over 100 different artists and experienced enough to have their  own *style* . What does experienced mean to others here?

Sep 06 17 03:23 pm Link

Model

Nachtzehren

Durham, England, United Kingdom

A lot of shoots but only in combination with the ability to pose oneself, and to emote/fit the theme of the shoot. You can have done a gazillion shoots and be rubbish at posing, and have done hundreds and need directing every single time. To me, experience is a combination of the above factors that I mentioned, plus time.

Sep 06 17 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I put no weight at all on a person's estimation of their own experience because so many people are capable of indefinitely repeating the same mistakes.

I choose models on how well they hold themselves rather than how many times they have been in front of a camera.  The vast bulk of them have relatively little experience but they outperform many models who are self-described as "highly experienced".

Sep 06 17 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Dp

Sep 06 17 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
I put no weight at all on a person's estimation of their own experience....

I agree.  I've seen models with less than 20 hours of experience and god awful portfolios claim to be very experienced.  Also, experience is far from what matters most to me.  I care about whether a model's look and ability suits my shoot objective.  I'd rather shoot a newbie model with a look That fits my needs than  a model who's been modeling for 30 years but who's look doesn't fit my needs.

Sep 06 17 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

doing it fairly regularly for a a year/18 months

yer a newbie for 3 months if you shoot often

then 'some experience' for the following year or so

after that you are experienced and then very experienced

Sep 07 17 08:12 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Webspinner wrote:
What does experienced mean?

Nothing, experience does not necessarily relate to talent.

Sep 07 17 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Define what modeling means first and then we'll get to experience.

Sep 07 17 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I like "Experienced" even though I have been in hundreds of shoots. To me, "Very Experienced" sounds a bit insecure.

Sep 07 17 09:45 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

If they say “very experienced” and their work sucks, you learn two things: you know their work sucks, and that they're clueless.

If they say "some experience" and their work is ok, then you learn that their work is ok and that they have a degree of self-awareness.

All potentially useful things to know.

Sep 07 17 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
I put no weight at all on a person's estimation of their own experience because so many people are capable of indefinitely repeating the same mistakes.

+1

I look at their portfolios to see if they have produced images that show the look that I want.

Sep 07 17 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Sep 07 17 06:52 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Experienced should mean that you know what you are doing, and more important it must mean that you also know what NOT to do.

Sep 07 17 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

I think it means virtually zero on Model Mayhem but, even in real life, it’s all about context.

If you simply shoot the same thing over and over again, does that make you experienced? 

Not really IMHO.

Sep 08 17 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

MatureModelMM wrote:
Experienced should mean that you know what you are doing, and more important it must mean that you also know what NOT to do.

Last year I changed the hard drive in my iMac.  I simply followed the instructions and, since I made one schoolboy error reassembling it, I now know what NOT to do.

I am experienced.

Sep 08 17 02:56 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

That somebody thinks himself to be experienced. Besides this it's just relative - some people are quick learners, other people never learn...

In almost 40 years in photojournalism I learned one thing, and I learned it thoroughly: never take anything for granted. Each time you think "Okay, now there's really nothing left over to suprise me" life comes around the corner lightheartedly whistling with some weird experience which overtops even your most absurd phantasies...

Sep 08 17 04:28 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Webspinner wrote:
Very experienced to me means one has been in hundreds of shoots.

At least it does not mean one has been in just two shoots...

Very experienced means one has worked with over 100 different artists and experienced enough to have their  own *style* .

I know some really very experienced catalogue models who does not have an "own style" at all... By the way - I mostly hire models to shoot my style(s) respectively the style the customer expects.

"She/He is a blank canvas who fits for many tasks" is the biggest compliment a model can be told.

Sep 08 17 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I'm experienced at filling out an MM profile. Not only have I read the instructions, but I've actually done it.  If I edit my profile, then I'll call myself very experienced.

Sep 08 17 06:27 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I'm experienced at filling out an MM profile. Not only have I read the instructions, but I've actually done it.  If I edit my profile, then I'll call myself very experienced.

Exactly.

I have heard people say that at work you need to be really careful because if you do something two or three times, it may all of a sudden become part of your job.

Sep 08 17 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

*waves back*

By now I've been modeling in one form or another for over a decade.

I've been replicated in dozens of styles of media.

I try not to waste time in pondering what that means, I just go out & create more.

Though I have hit a dry spell, too many recent job offers are so disorganized that I have to spend more time sorting out what they want then actually modeling.

Maybe someday I'll do a few blog posts on how to do a proper casting call & such.

Sep 08 17 09:47 am Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

◄---- No Experience 📷

Sep 08 17 12:14 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

MatureModelMM wrote:

Agree.  However, it is not to be confused with being an expert, which means the same thing, except an expert knows more about what to do and what not to do.  "Experienced" is a term that still leaves room to grow and learn and the realistic expectation of making many more mistakes.

Sep 08 17 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

For me from the:
- photographer side means the ability to cope in the face of unforeseen events, producing consisted result and, but don't last, professional attitude
- model side means the ability to pose, interpret a concept when is required (as happen with actress), give proper data and, as usual,  professional attitude.

As professional attitude (from both side) should be something self explanatory, just be punctual, respectful, while maintain an open mind and communication.

Sep 09 17 05:50 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I tend to look at models hands, speaks volumes on how to pose them.

Sep 09 17 06:38 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Make tons of mistakes, learn from them and do not repeat them......
But with photography...Some technical mistakes could make great images, so try to
remember what you "did wrong" so you can repeat the mistake when you need it!!
In my experience.....
Simple no?

Sep 09 17 07:56 am Link