Forums > Photography Talk > Hasselblad H6D-50c drops $11,000 off price.

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

https://www.dpreview.com/news/752854448 … inal-price

So from $26K to $15K in one day.  Wonder if it is because DJI (The Chinese drone maker.) is maybe building them now since they are a major owner of the Hassy brand?  Given their lackluster quality control and service, it isn't even tempting.

Fwiw, I was doing a Sekonic meter calibration today with two DJI drones and they have the oddest curve.  Not a nice smooth S-curve, but looks like someone chewed on it.  The Nikon D800E and Olympus Pen-F had a much smoother curve probably due to their internal processing.  DJI needs to learn how to make a camera.

A D850 is probably a better buy, and maybe better built too.

Sep 11 17 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

DJI provides the financial backing, and presumably venerable H is a good investment in return.

But it's not like the staff of DJI now comes in swarms overtaking the quality and customer service of Hasselblad.

Sep 12 17 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

GRMACK wrote:

Based on analysis from various teardowns the D850 is better-built than the D800/810. It's almost built to D5 standards.

Sep 13 17 05:34 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I guess I saw the price drop as good news.  I haven't seen one of those cameras here in Philippines because it is not competitive in price.  I have a second shooter that shoots leica S and although it is nice I think it also can't compete well in this country because of price. 

I also think dji might be a good match for hassy because all the best engineers in china live and work in that one city that makes all the electronics including iPhones.  If you factor that 70% of american post graduate students are Chinese many of whom move back to China than it makes sense to expect the Chinese to be interested in Hassy.  I wish them well even though I probably could never afford one even with the price drop.

Sep 13 17 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

GRMACK wrote:

Most definitely... and at about 1/4 of the price, for almost the same megapixel count... AND... dozens of reasonably prices lenses as well... wink

Sep 13 17 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://3.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~TS590x0~articles/2224329976/front-on.jpeg

There's always the affordable Hasselblad True Zoom for just $249.
Yep, DJI is out to destroy this legendary brand.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hasselbla … od/review/

Sep 14 17 12:57 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
https://3.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~TS590x0~articles/2224329976/front-on.jpeg

There's always the affordable Hasselblad True Zoom for just $249.
Yep, DJI is out to destroy this legendary brand.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hasselbla … od/review/

I can't imagine dji doing worse.  I remember some of the earlier versions of the H camera not having the same cool high end feel of the older film cameras.  Hassy has not always had a good high end feel just because it is expensive.

Sep 14 17 01:54 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

It's a smart move because of the success of the Hasselblad X1D, which has an adapter for H series lenses. They have many new customers and it's a much easier upgrade to their flagship product line at this price point.

If they drop the price of their 100MP back accordingly it's an even more compelling upgrade and they'd also be much cheaper than Phase One.

Sep 15 17 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Have you thought, that maybe, it's because they are coming out with a new model and want to dump out the existing inventory ?

Sep 16 17 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

GRMACK wrote:
Fwiw, I was doing a Sekonic meter calibration today with two DJI drones and they have the oddest curve.  Not a nice smooth S-curve, but looks like someone chewed on it.  The Nikon D800E and Olympus Pen-F had a much smoother curve probably due to their internal processing.  DJI needs to learn how to make a camera.

DJI did learn to make a camera... there's a HUGE differenc between DJI's professional and consumer camera and drone lines, both in terms of price and in terms of quality. I was really shocked when I saw what one of DJI's professional cameras could do... and at least one ASC cinematographer compared DJI's latest drone camera favorably with an Arri Alexa in terms of image quality.

The impression that I get is that while DJI is providing Hasselblad financial backing, one big thing that DJI seems to get getting out of the deal is image processing.

Sep 24 17 07:38 am Link