Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Computer Processing Power

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

I am looking into getting a new computer soon to replace my 10-year-old laptop. My laptop still works, but it's a little slow when it comes to editing large image files. I am probably going to get a desktop computer to cut costs this time around. So the question is:

How many GHz of processing power, and how powerful of a graphics card, would I need to do basic RAW file editing without the irritating delays when the computer is making and saving my edits?

For example, one of the computers I am looking at is the base-line 2017 27" iMac, which has a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 quad-core processor and an AMD Radeon Pro 570 4 GB graphics card. I don't need it to edit 4k video, I just need it to run Photoshop smoothly. (My current computer is Apple, and I don't really want to change to Windows unless there is significant cost benefits -- still looking into that).

Sep 19 17 07:16 am Link

Retoucher

Ad Alex

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

For Photoshop CPU and RAM are the things you don't want to skimp on. It can also use GPU for additional processing power, but that can be turned off. Also to make it run faster install it on SSD and set the scratch disk to be SSD as well.

As for what's needed, any modern high-end (ish) CPU will do, but more powerful the better of course. I have built mine few months ago, Intel i7 7700k watercooled and overclocked, 32 GB of 3000Mhz RAM, ASUS ROG 1080, ASUS Maximus IX motherboard, plus lots of storage. Everything is smooth.

EDIT: Sorry, but you have added the Apple bit after I started my reply. It will have to be somebody else to help you with Apple products.

Sep 19 17 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

PhotoRealism wrote:
How many GHz of processing power, and how powerful of a graphics card, would I need to do basic RAW file editing without the irritating delays when the computer is making and saving my edits?

define your length of delay at the transition point when it would become "irritating".

first there is more to "irritating" delays than Ghz and graphic card. I have a old laptop that is now being used for only bookkeeping and letter writing that loads images so fast, people are amazed. also have a video workstation with two xenon 6 core 2.8 ghz processors and 48G three channel ecc ram and a graphics processor that will handle 4k 3d video.

there are modern "powerful" desktops i've seen that are very slow because the user has itunes, nikon, chrome, adobe, cloud, microsoft office, antivirus, old printer drivers, un-installed old unused software loaders, os update all running in the background. then there are mm users who want to browse tens of thousands of images at once instantly.

most of my photoshop/still image work is done on a dual core 1.8 ghz pentium with 8G ram and the 24 and 50 megapixel  images with 5-10 layers load and edit with no problems. it has more to do with how much junk you have loaded and how well the box has been optimized.

Sep 19 17 09:09 am Link

Retoucher

Ad Alex

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

5 - 10 layers? My last PSD was over 1GB big. I don't know exactly how many layers, but a few more than 10 wink

Sep 19 17 09:28 am Link

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

Ad Alex wrote:
For Photoshop CPU and RAM are the things you don't want to skimp on. It can also use GPU for additional processing power, but that can be turned off. Also to make it run faster install it on SSD and set the scratch disk to be SSD as well.

As for what's needed, any modern high-end (ish) CPU will do, but more powerful the better of course. I have built mine few months ago, Intel i7 7700k watercooled and overclocked, 32 GB of 3000Mhz RAM, ASUS ROG 1080, ASUS Maximus IX motherboard, plus lots of storage. Everything is smooth.

EDIT: Sorry, but you have added the Apple bit after I started my reply. It will have to be somebody else to help you with Apple products.

I really appreciate your input, and the specifics you provided will be of help as I compare the cost savings of going with a Windows setup instead of Apple. I like Apple software, but you pay for it...

Sep 19 17 10:36 am Link

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
define your length of delay at the transition point when it would become "irritating".

first there is more to "irritating" delays than Ghz and graphic card. I have a old laptop that is now being used for only bookkeeping and letter writing that loads images so fast, people are amazed. also have a video workstation with two xenon 6 core 2.8 ghz processors and 48G three channel ecc ram and a graphics processor that will handle 4k 3d video.

there are modern "powerful" desktops i've seen that are very slow because the user has itunes, nikon, chrome, adobe, cloud, microsoft office, antivirus, old printer drivers, un-installed old unused software loaders, os update all running in the background. then there are mm users who want to browse tens of thousands of images at once instantly.

most of my photoshop/still image work is done on a dual core 1.8 ghz pentium with 8G ram and the 24 and 50 megapixel  images with 5-10 layers load and edit with no problems. it has more to do with how much junk you have loaded and how well the box has been optimized.

Delay... If an image takes more than a few seconds to open or save after I initiate the command, it gets irritating over the course of many hundreds of photos. Also, I am currently dealing with a computer that requires sometimes 5 or 6 seconds to apply an edit to the photo. I'm not super tech savvy, so I consulted several friends who gave me fairly vague recommendations to look into faster processors and better graphics cards, as well as SSD hard drives. From what you're saying, it sounds to me like a sub-3 GHz processor on a clean, unjunked computer would probably be sufficient for photo editing. I appreciate all your advice, I'm definitely taking notes.

Sep 19 17 10:43 am Link

Retoucher

Clide RT

Newburgh, New York, US

Well, anything is better than a ten year old laptop. You pretty much have two smart options, build a PC or buy one of the recent Mac desktop computers (2015-present year is the range you should be looking at). Building a PC will usually give you more room for customizing it to your specific needs, but if you have no idea what how to get around to building one or you don't know how to use windows, just ditch this idea. Macs on the other hand are pretty fool proof, the main problem with a Mac is that if you need to repair it, it becomes slightly expensive. Anyways to your original question, you can get away with a processor that is 2.4 ghz and use photoshop. I would be looking into getting a computer that has at least 8-16gb of ram because most of photoshop relies on ram and there is only a couple of tasks in photoshop that require cpu like liquify.

Sep 19 17 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

clide wrote:
Well, anything is better than a ten year old laptop. You pretty much have two smart options, build a PC or buy one of the recent Mac desktop computers (2015-present year is the range you should be looking at). Building a PC will usually give you more room for customizing it to your specific needs, but if you have no idea what how to get around to building one or you don't know how to use windows, just ditch this idea. Macs on the other hand are pretty fool proof, the main problem with a Mac is that if you need to repair it, it becomes slightly expensive. Anyways to your original question, you can get away with a processor that is 2.4 ghz and use photoshop. I would be looking into getting a computer that has at least 8-16gb of ram because most of photoshop relies on ram and there is only a couple of tasks in photoshop that require cpu like liquify.

I appreciate your straight-forward advice! The company for which I work at my day job runs Windows 10, so I am familiar with both that and Apple systems -- I just prefer the Apple OS and I've had extremely good reliability and longevity from my old Apple laptop. Thanks for the info on the RAM and processor!

Sep 20 17 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

PhotoRealism wrote:

I appreciate your straight-forward advice! The company for which I work at my day job runs Windows 10, so I am familiar with both that and Apple systems -- I just prefer the Apple OS and I've had extremely good reliability and longevity from my old Apple laptop. Thanks for the info on the RAM and processor!

I have an 11 year old Windows laptop that I am using for this reply.  It still works good but is slower than my Windows 10 laptop.    smile

Sep 26 17 09:59 am Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

London, England, United Kingdom

clide wrote:
...or buy one of the recent Mac desktop computers (2015-present year is the range you should be looking at).(...) Macs on the other hand are pretty fool proof, the main problem with a Mac is that if you need to repair it, it becomes slightly expensive.

I beg to differ. I'm doing a fair amount of compositing work, with file sizes between 1-2gb. And I'm very happy with my 2012 Macmini. Relatively easy/cheap to repair: wifi card,  ram & hard-drive can be replaced. Fan is easy to clean/replace. Of course, if the motherboard was damaged, it'd need to be replaced. But that's the case with any computer.

System specs:
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16gb RAM
internal 512gb SSD (system)
internal 1tb HD (storage)
external 128gb SSD on USB3-port (scratch disk)

At the time of purchase, I made a conscientious decision NOT to go for the 2.6Ghz i7 model:
The 2.6 i7 models have a dedicated graphics card. And graphic cards tend to break/overheat on high loads (Apple has a bad history of GPU problems with lots of Macbooks and iMacs). I learnt it the hard way when the GPU in my late 2011 MBP died. That's when I decided that the on-board GPU is good enough for my needs (single screen setup, no gaming, no 3d rendering, etc...).

As for connectivity: The 2012 Macmini has everything I need. 4 usb3 ports, firewire, thunderbolt/screen, HDMI
I would not buy a current MacMini from after 2012: ram is soldered on, so can't be replaced. And: Apple ditched the high-end i7 models. Which is the reason why the 2012 MacMini hasn't lost much value since 2012.

Because I like to choose my own screen, I also would not buy an iMac. And the MacPro's added value/price only lies in video-editing and 3d work. Or if you want more RAM.
For Photoshop, the 2012 MacMini's quad-core i7 is fast enough. The rest depends on RAM, SSD and a scratch SSD.

Sep 27 17 08:14 am Link

Retoucher

Clide RT

Newburgh, New York, US

Ikiri wrote:
I beg to differ.

Uh, besides my mac choices the specs you have are very similar to what I recommended. I only recommended Mac's recent models because they are easy to use and if you don't know how to upgrade a computer part by part, I don't think a soldered in ram would really deter someone from not buying one at that point.

Sep 27 17 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

As far as CPU power goes, the new Ryzen CPUs from AMD might be worth looking into.  The higher end models are performing very well, from what I hear, rivaling more expensive Intel chips.

The Ryzen Threadripper 16 core/32 thread CPU is about $1000 now though, but the 8-core, 16 thread Ryzen 7 1800X is about $400, which is a lot more reasonable.

Sep 27 17 04:02 pm Link

Retoucher

Maximum Arts

Los Angeles, California, US

Any recent mac i5 or i7 can handle photoshop pretty well IF YOU ADD: 8GB RAM (MINIMUM), 16GB RAM (GREAT), MAX RAM (SWEET!) The key is get a big SSD hard drive as raw photos take a lot of space and photoshop will use any free space to work faster. IF you can get a retina display you'll be able to edit at amazing detail without zooming in and out constantly and you'll get colors closer to the actual photo. i used to have a non retina to work and once I got one I saw all the huge mistakes I had done on photos since the older screens aren't so well tuned for photography.

Don't built a windows machine ever. that's for gamers. Also, if you mainly are using it for photoshop I fully suggest you get apple, windows are a hassle with keeping everything in order and mac are 99% of the time without any trouble.. Windows are getting closer but mac still is way less complicated to use and the new osx releases are getting better and better.

Sep 28 17 03:25 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Little Box Graphics wrote:
Don't built a windows machine ever. that's for gamers.

1. An Intel CPU in an Apple box does not run faster than the same Intel CPU in a PC box
2. There is a reason why gamers prefer PC to Mac and that is: you can build a custom system which is more powerful for less money and you are not restricted to something ready-packed for you. So considering the similar high demands of graphic designers... you know what this means.
3. You don't "build a windows machine", you build a custom desktop PC on which you can install any software, preferably free software.

Also, if you mainly are using it for photoshop I fully suggest you get apple, windows are a hassle with keeping everything in order and mac are 99% of the time without any trouble.. Windows are getting closer but mac still is way less complicated to use and the new osx releases are getting better and better.

You seem to evaluate software only from the viewpoint of convenience and that is quite limited because there is much more to it. Today software freedom is becoming more and more important and neither Apple, nor M$ are your friends. If you understand what Snowden and Stallman did/do, you will look at it from a completely different perspective.

@OP recently I found https://puri.sm/ - I haven't bought anything from them but I like their approach. I am unaware of any others who sell computers with Coreboot.

Sep 28 17 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

anchev wrote:

1. An Intel CPU in an Apple box does not run faster than the same Intel CPU in a PC box
2. There is a reason why gamers prefer PC to Mac and that is: you can build a custom system which is more powerful for less money and you are not restricted to something ready-packed for you. So considering the similar high demands of graphic designers... you know what this means.
3. You don't "build a windows machine", you build a custom desktop PC on which you can install any software, preferably free software.

You seem to evaluate software only from the viewpoint of convenience and that is quite limited because there is much more to it. Today software freedom is becoming more and more important and neither Apple, nor M$ are your friends. If you understand what Snowden and Stallman did/do, you will look at it from a completely different perspective.

@OP recently I found https://puri.sm/ - I haven't bought anything from them but I like their approach. I am unaware of any others who sell computers with Coreboot.

Thanks for your post!   smile

Sep 28 17 08:10 am Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

clide wrote:

Uh, besides my mac choices the specs you have are very similar to what I recommended. I only recommended Mac's recent models because they are easy to use and if you don't know how to upgrade a computer part by part, I don't think a soldered in ram would really deter someone from not buying one at that point.

Uh, no. Specs might look similar, but the current line-up only offers i5 processors, no i7. Also: the OP mentioned "cutting costs", and a decent used 2012 model will work out cheaper than the new ones.
Old Macminis are as easy to use as current models. And unsoldered ram is as easy to replace as tying shoelaces. Literally takes 10 seconds. If you've ever had ram fail on you, you'll appreciate that quick-swap option.
If you don't want to upgrade "part by part", the system SSD can also be put into a USB3-enclosure and attached externally – i.e. done in 5 minutes, no need to open the Macmini. And works nearly as fast as an internal SSD.

Sep 28 17 08:32 am Link

Retoucher

Clide RT

Newburgh, New York, US

Ok look if we are really trying to cut costs and maximize performance, you would build a PC or Hackintosh with the specs you want. I don't think OP is even going that route hence why I suggested a recent mac. Swapping ram/ HDD is easy to someone who knows a little bit about technology, but the average person just wants to buy something and have it work. If everyone knew how to troubleshoot their PC/Mac half of the computer repair industry would be in shambles. I don't use mac so the safest option I would give besides building a computer is to buy a recent mac. I can't advise someone who isn't that tech savvy to buy a used 2012 mac mini and once the hard drive or ram fails to just expect them to handle that. Also if the price to performance is a deciding factor buying a Mac would never be on the table lol. Also, I'm not sure if all the recent mac towers have only i5s, but the newest laptops that Mac has have i7s in them. I don't even think Mac has even come out with a new tower that's upgradable since I guess 2012. But yeah if you want the price to performance, PC. If you want ease of use and convenience, 2015-up Macs.

Sep 28 17 10:02 am Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

clide wrote:
I don't use mac so the safest option I would give besides building a computer is to buy a recent mac.

If you don't use Macintoshes: Why do you give advise on which Mac to buy? (Genuine question – I don't mean this in a bad way! I just don't understand it... I mean, I don't use PC and therefore I wouldn't give advise on which PC to buy).

clide wrote:
I can't advise someone who isn't that tech savvy to buy a used 2012 mac mini and once the hard drive or ram fails to just expect them to handle that.

If you don't know the 2012 Macmini: How do you know if someone needs to be tech savvy to replace/upgrade the ram?
Anyone can handle this:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+L … ment/11726

clide wrote:
Also, I'm not sure if all the recent mac towers have only i5s, but the newest laptops that Mac has have i7s in them.

Sorry... my fault. I was talking about MacMinis. The MacPros are XEON E5. But that really is overkill unless you do heavy video or 3d.

clide wrote:
If you want ease of use and convenience, 2015-up Macs.

2012-up
I still don't understand why you've decided for 2015?

Sep 28 17 10:28 am Link

Retoucher

Clide RT

Newburgh, New York, US

I advise 2015 and up because that's when I was really paying attention to what mac was doing to their products. That's why I would only recommend to 2015 and up. Also, if someone doesn't like windows, I can't just tell them "hey you can run mint or ubuntu for free instead of windows" and expect literally anyone to understand what I just told them, so my only other option to say would be to buy a mac. Since I have used/need to know how to use both machines (at least software wise), I feel like I can give at least a base level opinion on how macs work/if you should get one. I'll also take back my ram point because I didn't realize that the mini had a ram door. Just looked at the price and yeah 2012 mac mini is actually really nice for that price point, so I'll concede.

Sep 28 17 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Chester Nguyen

Hà Nội, Đồng bằng sông Hồng, Vietnam

i just want to add a question.
Would 1 512GB SSD be better than 2 256GB SSD?
I'm currently using 2 128GB SSDs (1 for system only, 1 for Lr Catalog and Scratch Disk) and looking for an upgrade.
I use Lr and PS intensively equal.

Nov 19 17 08:57 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Chester Nguyen wrote:
i just want to add a question.
Would 1 512GB SSD be better than 2 256GB SSD?

The company from which I buy hardware explained to me that SSDs which have gigabyte capacity multiple of two (128, 256, 512 etc) are lower grade. They recommend using SSDs which have capacity 120, 240 etc. because of the additional over-provisioning they have.

I'm currently using 2 128GB SSDs (1 for system only, 1 for Lr Catalog and Scratch Disk) and looking for an upgrade.
I use Lr and PS intensively equal.

If you don't want to shorten the life of your SSD it is recommended not use it for intensive scratching/swapping (and to always over provision it). Unlike HDD SSD as a technology has limited write cycles, so write to it as little as possible. Storage hosting providers replace their SSDs every few months.

For best performance - get a lot of RAM and put all scratching on a ramdisk. RAM is much faster than SSD. For OS and programs - SSD. For durable storage - HDD. For durable backup - LTO.

Nov 20 17 12:55 am Link

Photographer

TaylorScott Photography

Surprise, Arizona, US

I like my old laptop only because of certain features it came with at the time. Most computers can have an upgrade to the RAM system and you could change out your old hard drive with a newer and larger capacity drive, but then you must reload all the programs.

For me as the cost of some thing out weighted the buying of another. I looked into external hard drives for storage. I then moved all items to them, then ran a disk clean and defragmented the drive. With every new piece of work went to the external drive to be saved. Freeing the extra space on the main drive will speed up the computer as well.

By means this is not to detour you from buying a new system. You could do the same for a new computer. Get a second drive that is mirrored to the main drive for backup purposes, then have a third and forth for storage that mirror each other. The less you put on your main drive the faster it will remain.

Nov 20 17 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I am running a Mac Pro 5,1 (the last model before the Trash Cans) with 32Gb of RAM (the max is 64Gb). It does everything I need.  Being a proper tower computer as opposed to an all-in-one, I can upgrade the RAM, graphics card, hard drives, and CPU whenever I feel the need.

Nov 20 17 05:09 pm Link