Forums > Critique > Portfolio critiques please!

Model

Louise Rosealma

Richmond, Virginia, US

Hey all, thanks for checking this out and I appreciate any and all respecting, constructive criticism! Recently I've been reviewing my MM, and my whole portfolio in general, as I've been applying for more gigs, and have been trying to shoot for ones that are paid. Unfortunately, most paid gigs are not my main forte of nude modeling, but are more commercial and require a more generic look. I defintely need to diversify my portfolio with more non-nude, maybe formal themed shoots, but I'm not sure what direction I should try heading in where I will be able to make the most of my look. Please note: I will not be changing my looks (my hair, tatts, piercings etc), but am trying to figure out how to utilize them. What genre can you see me modeling in most? Fantasy, commercial, etc?

Apr 23 18 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

You have a good look but need to work with better photographers

Personally ( as well ) I am one of those folks that believe that it is cultural appropriation for white people to wear dreads

Apr 23 18 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Aggrofish

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Garry k wrote:

Personally ( as well ) I am one of those folks that believe that it is cultural appropriation for white people to wear dreads

Bleeding heart  alert.

Apr 23 18 08:29 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Louise Rosales wrote:
Hey all, thanks for checking this out and I appreciate any and all respecting, constructive criticism! Recently I've been reviewing my MM, and my whole portfolio in general, as I've been applying for more gigs, and have been trying to shoot for ones that are paid. Unfortunately, most paid gigs are not my main forte of nude modeling, but are more commercial and require a more generic look. I defintely need to diversify my portfolio with more non-nude, maybe formal themed shoots, but I'm not sure what direction I should try heading in where I will be able to make the most of my look. Please note: I will not be changing my looks (my hair, tatts, piercings etc), but am trying to figure out how to utilize them. What genre can you see me modeling in most? Fantasy, commercial, etc?

What you are doing is creating a very unique niche based upon your appearance, which you then have to figure out how to market to your best advantage. There are very few other models with the same combination of hair, tattoos, and natural look. Is there enough interest to get steady paid work? You are the only one who can find that out, typically you will need to spend many hours each week sending out dozens of private messages at a time, hoping that one or two will respond. Include artists in your searching, while they typically don't pay as much as photographers they will fill in openings in your schedule and are great for networking opportunities.

The vast majority of paid work for most models who are unique is doing nudes, perhaps expanding the genres that you are willing to be naked for would be the most productive. You could certainly do well in erotic and fetish type work as those often use models with a different appearance from the mainstream.

I know all about being in a specialized niche, being 65, still modelling naked exclusively, and choosing to remain 100% natural. It took quite some time for me to make my unique look work well enough to be interesting to photographers and artists.

Apr 23 18 09:37 pm Link

Model

Louise Rosealma

Richmond, Virginia, US

Thanks so much for that feedback!

May 01 18 12:55 pm Link

Model

Louise Rosealma

Richmond, Virginia, US

Garry k wrote:

You might have skipped over the part where I am not going to be changing my hair. The fact of the matter is that dreads are simply a hair style, they have been a universal hairstyle all over the world throughout history, and black people are not a conglomerate, hemogenous culture who own this hairstyle. Cultural appropriation is when someone uses an item or practice from another culture and uses it with complete disrespect or ignorance, or profit from it without giving back to those communities. I do neither of those things in any way. I would suggest looking up Jata.

May 01 18 01:03 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Louise Rosales wrote:

You might have skipped over the part where I am not going to be changing my hair....
Cultural (mis) appropriation is when someone uses an item or practice from another culture and uses it with complete disrespect or ignorance, or profit from it without giving back to those communities. I do neither of those things in any way. I would suggest looking up Jata.

Well said above.

The only suggestion I have is to trim your portfolio, only showing one photo per series. Sometimes ill cycle through photos of a series j like but prefer smaller ports.
Jen

May 02 18 07:59 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I personally enjoy using models with specific looks, attitudes and such in commercial settings whenever possible, I think their energy and creativity does nothing but add to an image  .  .  .  of course, that being said, I don't always get to dictate the models chosen for particular usages, and convincing some clients (not all, since some of the genres I shoot for call for a look that's a little more over the top  .  .  .  ), that a model with ink, dreads, piercings and such will capture the feel they want isn't always possible  .  .  .  in most cases the more "chameleon" you have in your array of looks, the better for a commercial setting  .  .  .  the newest image you have up in your port is certainly a step in that direction, maybe build on that and add a few more varied looks that don't hide your overall look, but show how it may be used in a variety of situations  .  .  .  hope it works out for you, and keep me in mind if you're ever down this way  .  .  .  I'm thinkin' some classic surf looks would be a wonderful addition to your collection of looks  .  .  .  wink

SOS

May 02 18 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Duende Boudoir

Black River Falls, Wisconsin, US

I think that you are well on your way but you might be falling into the trap of posting a photo from every shoot you do just to put something new up. I would suggest culling your port a bit, focusing on your best work, the type of work that you want to continue to shoot, and maybe portfolio build a bit to get a few more images to replace the not so strong ones.
If I were to look at booking you I would offer trade because I LOVE your look and vibe but don't really see a range of facial expression. I think we could make great stuff together and I could draw that out of you but it's not a guarantee because I don't see it in your portfolio so I would be taking a (small) risk.

May 06 18 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Snapdragon

Culver City, California, US

As sospix said above you got a good chameleon type looking going on. You have a natural, smooth face and a nice body, I think you can do a lot more then just nudes. Fitness or lifestyle modeling is my first thought. I'd look for a photographer who specializes in that. Just need the right photog to find the right look.

May 13 18 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

The model has magazine looks,   a classic face. certainly good enough for commercial advertising, whats disconcerting is the proclamation that the piercing will not come off. The people paying for the ad shoot will move on to the next model. Maybe its time to rethink that strategy...

Jun 24 18 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

svenler

San Diego, California, US

You have the same exact expression in every picture, regardless of the mood of the shot. As a photographer, I like to work with models who can convey different expressions and thus emotions depending on the look I'm going for. It's a matter of practice, so I'm sure you can work that out easily.

My Best,

Sven

Jun 24 18 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Oh I must say I am pleasantly surprised by quality of your work. Perhaps some of the weaker images could be removed but that is up to you. I will say that I would love to work with you the next time I am out in Malibu. How about a shoot at Matador beach? One of my favorite locations.

Jun 29 18 08:18 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

In regards to the Portfolio currently:

This may be easier said than done but I would eliminate any images displayed from the same set,  pick the one You think is the best to show.  This may help create a more diversified feel overall. 

Less is often more.

Jul 01 18 04:02 am Link