Forums > Model Colloquy > How detailed do we need to be with models

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

So, I sent a model a request for a shoot. I was very specific that the shoot would be at a friends place because of the beautiful swimming pool setting. I even added photos like these to give her a better idea as the shoot would be in two parts !. Fashion style, 2. Swimsuit:

Fashion style looks (here we are looking at the outfits only, ignore backgrounds and settings please)

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44039195

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44209024

Swimsuit looks around the actual pool. These are only sample pics taken there.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44397220

Upper part of pool pic

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44397192

Behind the model you can see the pool

She replies that she is interested and likes the concept so I ask to move to texting. After we introduce ourselves by text she sends me this message: "Is this going to be a studio shoot. I didn't know that you wanted to shoot me in swimsuits"  WTF, the location is all about the pool setting. Mentioned it twice in my original message.

Now I have lived in Southern California over 12 years. I have done a lot of research on all of the "Studios" in Southern California. In all my research not once have I found a studio that has a pool, let alone a pool like indicated inside. And yes, there are private homes, mansions that you can rent (that is what I was going to do, again). But, no studios that I know of with pools. FD Studios has a Rain Room. That is not a pool.

Aug 02 18 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:

Upper part of pool pic

I don't see no swimsuits or pool in your links.  I get the "404" error.  The images could be hidden or somethin'.

I think maybe something probably got crossed in the communication when you switched to text, especially since she sounded surprised about the swimsuits.

Aug 02 18 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yup 404 errors on your pool pics
She probably never saw them
Think about a Tumblr or pinterest for hosting samples

Aug 02 18 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I also had the 404 errors for the pool links.

Aug 02 18 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Deep breath, OP.  We can feel your angst in your words.  The truth is, there is no magic answer to this question.  We're dealing with people.  Some are attentive, some no so.  Some like all the details up front, while some just want the bare necessities.  It's a crap shoot.  Remember, we're not dealing with true professionals in the sense that they need these jobs to put food on the table, in most cases.  Also take into account the age of the model.  Most younger models will not be as attentive as those who are more mature and have a bit of life experience behind them. 

Best of luck in all you do.

Aug 03 18 03:16 am Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I also get 404 errors. Page not found, so chances are she didn't see them. I didn't look at any others after getting two 404s (which might be what the model did too). You added photos, but did you actually describe what you wanted, or did you rely on the photos to do that?

Two things:

One, consider having a folder of images on your computer that you save to (and name the files with the photographer and/or model's name... save yourself some headaches). Then you can drop images into a PDF, on a secure webpage, as attachments on an email, or even via text and not worry about 404 errors because images were deleted at some point. In the 6 years I modeled, I saved hundreds of photos on my computer for ideas (I didn't label a single one, which I regret immensely). I had ideas for everything from poses to styling to lighting and even locations.

And two, use your words. Back when I modeled, I had a full bedroom that was my closet, plus the closet in a second bedroom that housed formalwear and costume stuff. The more detailed a photographer got about what they wanted to see, the better. Pics and text were best... after all, it's much easier to say "I want something that looks like the dress in this photo (attached)" than try to describe a certain dress. But at the same time, it's helpful to describe what about the outfit was appealing... was it the color, the textures, the patterns, the overall vibe? I might not have had the exact dress,  but depending on what about it the photographer liked, I could probably get close.

tl;dr: Get as detailed as possible. Not because models are stupid, but because "swimsuit" and "fashion" can mean a lot of things, and can mean different things to different people.

Aug 03 18 05:35 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

This is exactly what i am talking about. If you go back and read my post you should note that I mention swimsuits several times. Same as I did with her.

"So, I sent a model a request for a shoot. I was very specific that the shoot would be at a friends place because of the beautiful swimming pool setting. I even added photos like these to give her a better idea as the shoot would be in two parts !. Fashion style, 2. Swimsuit: "  Again in two parts !. Fashion style, 2. Swimsuit: "

Very last word 2. Swimsuit

This part was quoted from my actual message to her:

"...the shoot would be in two parts !. Fashion style, 2. Swimsuit: "

Aug 03 18 08:01 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I also had the 404 errors for the pool links.

If you have been a Model Mayhem member for any length of time you would know that they are famous for the 404 errors

If you are new and can't see the image just ask.

Aug 03 18 08:05 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

This is exactly what i am talking about. If you go back and read my post you should note that I mention swimsuits several times. Same as I did with her.

"So, I sent a model a request for a shoot. I was very specific that the shoot would be at a friends place because of the beautiful swimming pool setting. I even added photos like these to give her a better idea as the shoot would be in two parts !. Fashion style, 2. Swimsuit: "  Again in two parts !. Fashion style, 2. Swimsuit: "

Very last word 2. Swimsuit

This part was quoted from my actual message to her:

"...the shoot would be in two parts !. Fashion style, 2. Swimsuit: "

oh most models don't read all that... they look for a $$ rate you pay and the date

best to keep your queries about four lines

Aug 03 18 08:12 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

goofus  wrote:
oh most models don't read all that... they look for a $$ rate you pay and the date

best to keep your queries about four lines

Unfortunately so true.

At the same time I am serious about the shoot and I am looking for models who seriously want to collaborate for the shoot paid or tf. At this point I usually am already on my computer and looking. As with her I sent out two new messages. Got positive responses from both models and they both replied that they love the idea of a fashion style shoot and swimsuit shoot in one. They both replied that they were able to open the images and liked them.

Aug 03 18 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Spicy Peach Photography

Macon, Georgia, US

To answer the question, I think the more detailed you can be the better.  It's just good communication, professional, and neccessary, especially if a shoot becomes collaborative.

However, after saying that, you can't control the responses that models will give.  They are individuals and no two will communicate the same way.  I ran into a good example where in response to casting one model showed much interest and, based on the info in the casting, started to discuss clothing options, looks, poses, etc.  I received the following response from a different model "I am interested in shooting with you due to your beautiful gothic romance themes. They are sensual and honest...raw and alive".  Well, there's nothing Gothic to my images.  This was obviously a canned response from a model that was nto very professional.  I just politely stated her look didn't fit my project and moved on.

So I guess I'm trying to say, "models are people too". They don't fit one particular mold and I'm learning that through experience you recognize those who are serious and those who are not.

Aug 03 18 09:14 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

... I sent out two new messages. Got positive responses from both models and they both replied that they love the idea of a fashion style shoot and swimsuit shoot in one. They both replied that they were able to open the images and liked them.

So then what was the purpose of your initial post? You have a method of communicating, some recipients of that communication respond in a way that works for you, what's the problem? Why fuss over things that didn't, or aren't going to work out?

Is it really necessary or beneficial to post what comes across as a "the entire world doesn't do what I want" type of rant?

Aug 03 18 09:44 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

AgX wrote:

So then what was the purpose of your initial post? You have a method of communicating, some recipients of that communication respond in a way that works for you, what's the problem? Why fuss over things that didnt, or aren't going to work out?

Is it really necessary or beneficial to post what comes across as a "the entire world doesn't do what I want" type of rant?

The purpose was for discussion, not a rant!

Aug 03 18 04:44 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I read your post just fine. I didn't read it as, "this is the exact message I sent to the model", so for all I know you sent dead links to photos with zero explanation, just, "I'm thinking of this for part one and this for part two".

Models are human :gasp: and likely have a lot of shit going on. Especially hobbyist models who might be trying to balance work, home life, and modeling. Err on the side of caution and over-explain, using words and pictures, in such a way that doesn't make you sound like a condescending asshole.

Of, you know, don't, and get frustrated about it :shrug: Whatever, dude.

Aug 06 18 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Spicy Peach Photography wrote:
To answer the question, I think the more detailed you can be the better.  It's just good communication, professional, and neccessary, especially if a shoot becomes collaborative.

However, after saying that, you can't control the responses that models will give.  They are individuals and no two will communicate the same way.  I ran into a good example where in response to casting one model showed much interest and, based on the info in the casting, started to discuss clothing options, looks, poses, etc.  I received the following response from a different model "I am interested in shooting with you due to your beautiful gothic romance themes. They are sensual and honest...raw and alive".  Well, there's nothing Gothic to my images.  This was obviously a canned response from a model that was nto very professional.  I just politely stated her look didn't fit my project and moved on.

So I guess I'm trying to say, "models are people too". They don't fit one particular mold and I'm learning that through experience you recognize those who are serious and those who are not.

Very well stated, Spicy Peach.  It's like everything else in life.  No two integrations with people - regardless of the genre of life scenario - will ever be the same.

All the best to you in all you do.

Aug 06 18 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

So, I sent a model a request for a shoot. I was very specific that the shoot would be at a friends place because of the beautiful swimming pool setting. I even added photos like these to give her a better idea as the shoot would be in two parts !. Fashion style, 2. Swimsuit:

Fashion style looks (here we are looking at the outfits only, ignore backgrounds and settings please)

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44039195

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44209024

Upper part of pool pic

She replies that she is interested and likes the concept so I ask to move to texting. After we introduce ourselves by text she sends me this message: "Is this going to be a studio shoot. I didn't know that you wanted to shoot me in swimsuits"  WTF, the location is all about the pool setting. Mentioned it twice in my original message.

Now I have lived in Southern California over 12 years. I have done a lot of research on all of the "Studios" in Southern California. In all my research not once have I found a studio that has a pool, let alone a pool like indicated inside. And yes, there are private homes, mansions that you can rent (that is what I was going to do, again). But, no studios that I know of with pools. FD Studios has a Rain Room. That is not a pool.

I understand your frustration.  I sent a short intro message to a model yesterday, part of which covered that it would be on location and a trade shoot.  She responds by asking if it would be a paid shoot.  I just responded that I believe that I mentioned (which I did) in my intro message that it would be a trade shoot.  She hasn't read the message as of yet.  In my case, I'd appreciate the common professional courtesy of reading the message.  Questions are fine, just don't cover the basics which I've covered already.  Oh well.....

Aug 06 18 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

So, at the end of the day, it seems to be pretty isolated and trivial.  Out of 6, 12, 20 shoots, how often does this really happen.  Sometimes, miscommunication just happens.

But, you know what isn't isolated and trivial, when models indicate on their profile they don't shoot nudes and they have zero nude images in their portfolio and they still get hit up to shoot nude.  You don't see them creating threads, "How detailed do we need to be with photographers".

For instance, I just got through a call with a model that just joined a few days ago.  We're planning on a shoot similar to these:  idea 1, idea 2, but, change up to a beach, cliffs, and caves scene.  She asks what type of outfits should she bring.  I tell her just something light, simple, and fashionish.  She comes back with, "Thank you thank you thank you for not asking me to shoot with my clothes off."  I'm like, "What???".  "I've been getting messages from photographers asking me if I'd shoot with my clothes off.", she tells me.  I sent her to the link to CAM just in case she feels being harassed or pressured.

Aug 07 18 09:35 pm Link