Forums > Critique > serious critique welcome

Photographer

Gene Bali

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey guys,

I am in the process of rebranding towards fashion and beauty. Take a look at my work and let me know if you have any input on how to better transition.

much appreciated!

Nov 07 19 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I like your Style and think You are on the Right Track

Speakinig of Tracks though - I dont think your Black and White Photo of the Model on the Train Tracks is up to the same level as the rest of your Work

Nov 07 19 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Your photography conveys ideas in a very artistic, visual, and creative way.

Nov 08 19 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Gene Bali

Garry k wrote:
- I dont think your Black and White Photo of the Model on the Train Tracks is up to the same level as the rest of your Work

Yes, agreed, this image does not fit with the rest of the pictures.

Thank you!

Nov 08 19 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Gene Bali

Camera Buff wrote:
Your photography conveys ideas in a very artistic, visual, and creative way.

Thank you very much!!!

my son lives in Brisbane )

Nov 08 19 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Gene Bali

Also guys let me know if you’d like me to critique you back, but only if you are ready to endure excruciatingly painful reality. I don’t think I am able to do a “bubble gum” MM style critique like “this is good and this is not” but I will try smile

Nov 08 19 09:02 am Link

Photographer

GSG Photography Studio

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes, your work is clean you have a great eye for color and lighting! great job! STEADY THE course your on.
I would suggest staying away from cliché photography it cheapens your work, the train track has been sooooooooo over done, the desert chair thing as well. Your Back and white is amazing!

Nov 08 19 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Gene Bali

GSG Photography Studio wrote:
I would suggest staying away from cliché photography it cheapens your work, the train track has been sooooooooo over done, the desert chair thing as well.

Awesome! Thank you!!!

Does anybody else think that desert chair is a cliché?

Nov 08 19 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Felix Balitski wrote:
Also guys let me know if you’d like me to critique you back, but only if you are ready to endure excruciatingly painful reality. I don’t think I am able to do a “bubble gum” MM style critique like “this is good and this is not” but I will try smile

Yes please

But not for my work here which is more of a historic record of my development as a photgrapher

But for my work on IG ( link in Bio )

Thanks

Nov 08 19 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Felix Balitski wrote:

Most critiques in this Forum are delivered by experienced professional photographers and artists, so most often it is usually the case they are very aware of the cliché photos.

As an amateur, IMHO I would think that photographing a desert chair (or train tracks) for the sake of it - is not an achievement in itself. And unless something inspirational is included, it is a cliché.   

However, if a desert chair (or train tracks) is used to set the scene, but is not the scene, then I don’t think it is cliché.

A well taken image of an attractive model well posed on a desert chair is no more cliché than the many images I see of models posed on motorcycles, cars, etc.

BTW: I hope your son enjoys living in Brisbane. It is only a 3 hour drive south of my city of Maryborough. IMO Brisbane is situated between a couple of the best (surfing) coastlines in Australia (Gold Coast to its South and the Sunshine Coast to the North).

Nov 08 19 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Gene Bali

Garry k wrote:
Yes please

But not for my work here which is more of a historic record of my development as a photographer

But for my work on IG ( link in Bio )

Thanks

Ok, but this is going to be painful, sorry.
Your instagram is really bad. There is almost everything wrong about it. But most importantly, you just need better pictures. With millions of pictures posted everyday, people are simply overwhelmed with gorgeous, sexy and flashy images pouring  like a rain. It’s hard to get someone’s attention unless they know you personally, or actually like your pictures.
Now that said, here is what I think you should do:
1. Change avatar. Use that profile pictures of the brunette looking up. Or another one that's more attractive than what you have now.
2. Clean up, your instagram, archive all the pictures that are weak. Leave only the very best. This is the hardest part for all of us photographers. You need to sit down with a good photographer (photo editor, retoucher etc) and have him or her select your pictures for you. Most of the photographers can not do this themselves. Even Annie Leibovitz can’t do it herself. Almost no one can. Have to have someone you trust do it for you. Pay them, buy them coffee, whatever it takes.
3. Lose the multi image theme, just post single pictures. This is too old and only works for someone with great images and thought out campaign, otherwise it looks like someone who has nothing to show is trying too hard.
4. After you’ve done all that and your instagram is clean and has only best pictures, get more followers. Pay someone, pay for advertising, get apps, get into closed photography groups where they like and comment on each other, find what works for you, but get more followers. You can’t have instagram with 300 followers, it makes you look bad for potential clients.
5. Next shoot more, have someone select from new pictures for you, have someone do retouching and color for you and post regularly. There are inexpensive retouchers in Ukraine that will make your pictures look better. And keep always working on more followers, always. Be active, engage, like and comment other people. You've commented 30 thousand times here, WOW!!!!!! like and comment photographers on instagram instead. They will comment back. Do ALL of the above. This may take a year or so, but eventually you'll get decent looking instagram. It's a lot of work, I know. If you have the resources pay someone to do this for you. Top photographers have trained personnel or assistants working on social media. 
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

P.S. I went through your pictures, your best pictures actually have been selected for you. The ones that have over 10 likes are your best.

Nov 08 19 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Well - Thank You for taking the time Sir

To tell You the truth - I was not even a fan of IG until last year when MM pretty well died for me in terms of finding the type of Models I seek in my area

I really only use it to find new Models to Shoot with - and have enjoyed some success in that area ( enough to keep me busy and i probably have 150 plus photos in the que for editing then posting )

My avatar photo is of a former Muse of mine ( for nearly 10 years ) and i selected it for sentimental reasons

I am going to give some heavy thought to your feedback regarding the quaility of my photos and thier display . The Great thing though is that at any time I could tear if all down and rebuild it in some other way

300 Followers is a Joke I agree and i really havent put any effort into gaining more ...i really dont want to get too caught up in trying to attract new followers but i also realize this could hurt my chances of working with more popular models on the platform

Oh and my nearly 30.000 "comments " here on MM are mainly discussions with other members ( such as yourself ) about a wide range of subjects

Thank You Again

Nov 08 19 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Felix Balitski wrote:

I don't really care whether a subject is considered a cliché as long as the photo can stand on its own merits -- and I think yours does --  but why perpetuate IG's censorship encroachment?

I like most of your images, although it feels the Crawford portraits are solely there for name-dropping, and are not nearly as strong. I've always loved that shot of Minh-Ly, by the way.

Nov 08 19 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Gene Bali

Garry k wrote:
I am going to give some heavy thought to your feedback regarding the quality of my photos and their display .

You are welcome! I hope my comments help.
Avatar I meant on IG, not here. Avatar here I though was good.
Yes, think about all this, and remember most important thing is the likability and quality of your images. Thats the bottom line. All the rest is secondary. 
IG has become a primary tool for models, photographers, MUA and other artists. This is the most important presence you should have.
Good luck to you!

Nov 08 19 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gene Bali

Wandering Eyebubble wrote:

I don't really care whether a subject is considered a cliché as long as the photo can stand on its own merits -- and I think yours does --  but why perpetuate IG's censorship encroachment?

I like most of your images, although it feels the Crawford portraits are solely there for name-dropping, and are not nearly as strong. I've always loved that shot of Minh-Ly, by the way.

Agree 100% with everything you said, about cliché, Crawford and shot of Minh-Ly. I like that shot myself, but I also feel that it diverts from the rest of the portfolio. 

Thank you for your comments!

Nov 08 19 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

BMA PHOTO

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Felix Balitski wrote:
Hey guys,

I am in the process of rebranding towards fashion and beauty. Take a look at my work and let me know if you have any input on how to better transition.

much appreciated!

I'd learn the basics of model photography and why you shoot an image. Fashion is different for its more of mood and not model features but you need to understand the basics first. What is the goal of a model image?

The main image  should be professional. No pro model wears a bra and no pro shoots them . Photoshop the nipples when the model is just play modeling but never have a model make you and your work look like you the photographer is just playing around too. So demanding excellence of oneself first is huge, I'd remove the harsh neck shadows just a bit.

Glamour is about features, energy, personality, to "ability to sell" and mood. Fashion is mood and using the whole body to set a mood that takes more experience of both the model and photographer. Hope that helps.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38505167

Beautiful fashion type image, gorgeous outside the models hand that is distracting in a major way and the harsh shadows on her shoulder need to be brought down a bit, But this is what you want. But need to cut down on all the hand shots, lack of neck from copying others who don't know not to shoot a shoulder and bring chin to shoulder. It's poor posing at any and all levels and you see it on magazines and ANTM just because they don't know better. Shoot features, don't lose them, have nice posing, Fashion tends to have lots of full body shots so pose the feet and  don't have both feet posed the same way unless it's working when you "eyeball" it. But the image link i added here is real close to what you want to rock and the DOF is big for fashion where it's a call for glamour. DOF worked perfect here.

Nov 09 19 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Felix Balitski wrote:

You are welcome! I hope my comments help.
Avatar I meant on IG, not here. Avatar here I though was good.
Yes, think about all this, and remember most important thing is the likability and quality of your images. Thats the bottom line. All the rest is secondary. 
IG has become a primary tool for models, photographers, MUA and other artists. This is the most important presence you should have.
Good luck to you!

Some Further thoughts on the Mater of IG Followers

I know a Few Fashion Models who have a significant number of IG Followers ( including one with over 500k )

but as One Model recently said :  95% of models followers are creeps from 3rd world countries asking for "bobs and vageen". So I'm not sure if that's the higher quality following you're after"

So If a prospective Model were to look at my IG I am sort of assuming that She could be more interested in the quality of my work than the numbers of Followers that i have

Soon after i joined IG ( and had less than 100 followers ) I reached out to a prominant Model in my part of the world and was able to score a shoot with her basically because she liked my work

Nov 10 19 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Hi Felix,

I've known you for a long time, and know what a good technician you are.
In general, I think you should exploit your imagination more than you have been doing. Your work, with the exception of those mentioned at the top, is a bit uninspired. One must surprise the viewer, showing something unexpected, off beat, strange, and beautiful at the same time. Keep the standard of your work at the level of your best work. I say this to you because I think you are capable.

Very good, in my opinion:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39479141
The styling is good, as well as the location, model, framing and exposure.
The feet are a little awkward; however, I can see this as part of a magazine editorial.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/40753597
Model, outfit, background, lighting, coloration and frame: It all works very well here.
Nice surfaces and textures. The only criticism I have is that she would have benefited from having shoes.

The rest of your pictures are ok, but not for fashion/beauty. Cropping seems a bit tight. I would open up my frame a bit. Give them some air to breathe.
Check the work of this guy. He worked as Mario Testino's assistant and later became very successful at fashion and beauty (though he seems to be doing some sort of documentary photography these days), having shot covers for Vogue, Bazaar, L'Officiel, Elle, etc.
Look at his framing and his use of colors. Foreground, middleground and background.
His styling is impeccable.

There are a few that I would remove:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45874017 Not flattering.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39479260 A backlight would have helped separating her from the background. No neck. Odd skin color.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/40753503 I would remove this.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39829194 Too orange. Short neck.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45874062 No neck.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45898531 I would remove this too.

I hope this helps,

Jorge

I'll be happy to receive your critique, if you wish to do one smile

You can do my MM port, or my website: www.gershonkreimer.com

Nov 10 19 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Gene Bali

Garry k wrote:
So If a prospective Model were to look at my IG I am sort of assuming that She could be more interested in the quality of my work than the numbers of Followers that i have

Both actually. Both quality of work than the numbers of Followers matter. Especially if your goal is to get more top models. Models need followers much more then photographers do, now-days they are sometimes being hired often based on the number of followers they have. It's just an unfortunate reality.

Nov 11 19 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Felix Balitski wrote:
Both actually. Both quality of work than the numbers of Followers matter. Especially if your goal is to get more top models. Models need followers much more then photographers do, now-days they are sometimes being hired often based on the number of followers they have. It's just an unfortunate reality.

Do follower counts really matter?

Canon Drops Photographer for Not Having Enough Followers: Time to Up Your Instagram Game!
https://fstoppers.com/business/canon-dr … ame-333531

‘Instagram Models’ Now Need At Least 10,000 Followers to Land Legit Modeling Gigs
https://nextshark.com/instagram-models- … and-a-gig/

Nov 12 19 02:32 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Fashion is tricky for many. As a beauty photographer who also shoots product, I  find fashion to be a breeze. What do you need?. An eye, a really good one. To me if you have to "transition" you may not get there.  In a lot of your photos, poses are off. And in fashion because it is about the clothes or the accessories you have to make the clothes look good so that people want to buy them. . .It's really the whole point of fashion campaigns.

Enjoyed looking at a glimpse of your cinematography. Good luck

Nov 13 19 12:27 am Link