Forums > Critique > Critique requested from the community please

Model

lillianc94541

San Francisco, California, US

Can you please let me know what you think of a photo or two of me? Thank you so much!!

Dec 09 19 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Some of your images are well done, technically, and most are Facebooky snapshots, but in every image you've got that same "say cheese!" grin. Develop some range of expression.

Dec 09 19 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

It's hard to evaluate images that are turned sideways.

Dec 09 19 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

I would say your portfolio isn’t quite ready for critique at this point.  As stated above you have to take the time to make sure your images display correctly.  Remember you are advertising yourself with your portfolio.

Next please take a look at a the images in other people’s portfolios to get a sense of what you should be doing in your shots.  Look at the model’s poses and expressions.  As a model you are trying to project a narrative with your body and face.

Contact a couple of professional photographers in your area and talk to them about shooting with you.  You can ask for TF but be prepared to pay a good one something.  There are many photographers out there who will do TF shoots with new models but don’t get discouraged if you get turned down.  Keep looking and keep asking. 
Shoot with whoever you can and as often as you can but try to learn and improve with each shoot. 
Practice expressions in front of the mirror.

Dec 09 19 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

I agree with the above comments. Try practicing facial expressions in a mirror (with mouth closed). Practice, practice, practice. Oh, and find a good photographer to work with.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Dec 09 19 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

A decent start, the images are technically ok but more along the lines of Senior yearbook portraits than Modeling.

I would reorient the shots and cull the Portfolio down to Your 4 favorite images for now.

On a more positive note, You have a youthful look for 36 yrs of age.

fwiw

Dec 10 19 02:14 am Link

Model

lillianc94541

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback!!

I agree with all you said :-)

Dec 10 19 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Brian K PHOTO

Summerville, South Carolina, US

It really irritates me to see photos sideways or upside down. I always just pass them by.

Dec 10 19 07:55 am Link

Model

lillianc94541

All fixed! :-)

Dec 10 19 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Hi Lillian...
...Try using a professional make-up artist and hair stylist for your next shoot..!!...Just to try something different with your hair and make-up..!!....The beauty of someone who does hair and make-up...that isn't you...is that they can style you in a way, that you hadn't thought about....which would make your images stand out, even more so, then they do now..!!….Try a make-up counter...or beauty school..(if you don't know of...or can't afford any pros)...as there are always new stylists looking to show off their work on a new model...You could even try here on MM...looking for a make-up artist/hair stylist, with a casting call....!!
.....*Best of Luck*..!!

Dec 12 19 07:45 am Link

Model

lillianc94541

Thank you so much Juliet’s dream!

Dec 12 19 10:41 am Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

Kudos for putting yourself out there as a model and open to critiques. You have better images on your instagram and the images here are to similar. Go for diversity. Find 4 different images that show range and post those.

I saw you in the newbie forum and now here. Look into posting an availability notice in your area call attention to your profile. If you haven't already, reach out to local photographers whose work you admire with a reason to shoot with you.

Think of your profile as photographer bait. As it reads now, you don't stand out and so I wouldn't approach you. Perhaps come up with your own ideas of what you would like to shoot.

IF you'll be in the Fresno Area, reach out and schedule permitting, we'll shoot as I think you have more potential than you show.

Dec 31 19 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

MM's rules require you to have at least four photos in a portfolio.  At present, you have only three and none of them are full length, so a full-length photo is the obvious choice for a fourth photo.

Jan 03 20 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

GSG Photography Studio

Portland, Oregon, US

Hello,
First thing that stands out is that Hair style, If your serious about modeling, I would work with a professional Hair stylist and Make up artist, and a pro photographer, these photos look like bad Senior Photos.
You have a great smile, Have fun with your shoot and don't be afraid to chance and step out of your box!
Happy 2020

Jan 03 20 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

You have a beautiful smile but posing goes way beyond a smile. Ask yourself what exactly is it that makes up the "YOU" that you want to convey in an image. We all have a wide range of emotions and desires as humans. I'd like to see who YOU are inside.

Jan 05 20 09:11 am Link