Forums > Photography Talk > Photographer Crashes Your Shoot, What Do You Do?

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, in my OMP days, this happened to me. Just curious how others would have handled it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was running a four-model/two-MUAH bridal shoot at a public park one evening when another photographer -- popular young guy with a fairly good reputation in the area -- is shooting on the other side of the park. He decides to come over to visit a couple of our models. He goes from chatting with the idle models to the one on set. And while I'm making changes with the camera, he walks onto the set to talk up close with the model. Not a death penalty case as long as he gets off the set the nanosecond I'm ready to resume. But he's not looking where he's stepping and he snags the synch cable, jerking a lightstand over and the camera clean out of my hands. The model caught the lightstand and I caught the camera by the strap just inches before it hit the concrete. And he tries to free his foot by simply kicking it around, jerking on the camera even more. Once free, he stands on the synch cable and continues chatting with the model.

He then talks one of the idle models into going over to his shoot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say it's your shoot. What do you?

Dec 15 19 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, in my OMP days, this happened to me. Just curious how others would have handled it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was running a four-model/two-MUAH bridal shoot at a public park one evening when another photographer -- popular young guy with a fairly good reputation in the area -- is shooting on the other side of the park. He decides to come over to visit a couple of our models. He goes from chatting with the idle models to the one on set. And while I'm making changes with the camera, he walks onto the set to talk up close with the model. Not a death penalty case as long as he gets off the set the nanosecond I'm ready to resume. But he's not looking where he's stepping and he snags the synch cable, jerking a lightstand over and the camera clean out of my hands. The model caught the lightstand and I caught the camera by the strap just inches before it hit the concrete. And he tries to free his foot by simply kicking it around, jerking on the camera even more. Once free, he stands on the synch cable and continues chatting with the model.

He then talks one of the idle models into going over to his shoot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say it's your shoot. What do you?

I would tell him to go away but not very nicely.

Dec 15 19 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I would tell him to go away but not very nicely.

At what point do you tell him to vamoose? When he first shows up? When he starts chatting with your crew? When he steps onto the set? When he literally crashes your shoot down around you?

Dec 15 19 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

At what point do you tell him to vamoose? When he first shows up? When he starts chatting with your crew? When he steps onto the set? When he literally crashes your shoot down around you?

When he starts chatting.

Dec 15 19 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

well, it was a pubic space (tragedy of the commons anyone?) so, he has as much right to be there as any of us.

I would remind the crew, in a friendly way, that we are here to work and not chat with the occasional passerby. then I would give him my card, and tell him that if he wished to contact any of my co-workers, he could contact me and I would put him in contact, if they approve. I would tell him that I respect his work, and that I ask that he respects mine and that he maintain a reasonable distance.

if he insisted on disturbing the shoot, then I would turn every light and camera on and photograph him and his disturbance, and let everyone know he was a butthole.

that prolly is a good reason to use on-camera flash, to make certain people uncomfortable.

when he was tripping on this and standing on that, he was the person in charge. you gotta flip that and be the person in charge. guy chatting up a model you're working with? take a photo and let everyone know you suspect he had the nerve to ask her out for sex while she was working with you on a project.

in Mexico, you see signs that read something like, 'no parking" you respect my space, and I will respect your car.'

Dec 15 19 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

I would have approached him as soon as he came on set and started chatting.  I would introduce myself, give him my card and tell him to call or text me anytime he would like to be put in touch with any of the people working.  Then I would politely ask him to leave.

If polite didn’t work then I would be more forceful and less polite until he got the message.  No way I allow him around cables, sync cords, lights or cameras under any circumstances.  If he caused damage there is a good chance he gets physically and forcefully removed and embarrassed by the language I would be directing at him.

Dec 15 19 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I have an unfortunate history of cords leaping up and getting snarled up in my shoes without me noticing.
Cords are bad.

So, I'd have to let him slide on that. Sort of...

Being an exceptionally charming gentleman (and of course having the luxury of just making stuff up since I wasn't there), I would proabaly go up to him, point out that he was standing on my cord and interrupting my shoot. I'd use the old "fellow photographer" crap and act nice. I would mention that he already had nearly smashed my camera and my light.  Then I would nicely mention in no uncertain terms that I would be much happier if he would leave now and not fuck anything else up.
Or, I would be unhappy. Nobody can be happy if I am not happy.

Then I would ignore him, take control of the shoot again and get back at it. I wouldn't say a word to anybody about it at the time, somebody is going to spread it no matter what you do and it looks better if it isn't you.

Watrer under the bridge now, and a great topic for a thread, this could be fun!

Dec 15 19 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

I was running a four-model/two-MUAH bridal shoot at a public park one evening when another photographer -- popular young guy with a fairly good reputation in the area -- is shooting on the other side of the park. He decides to come over to visit a couple of our models. He goes from chatting with the idle models to the one on set.

THIS is the point where you should have put a complete stop to this. I wouldn't care who this bozo is, that's disrespectful and unprofessional. Next time, don't be such a doormat.

Dec 15 19 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Next time, don't be such a doormat.

I guess you missed the part where I said this happened a LONG time ago. Since then I've had several interruptions to shoots and have dealt with them early and decisively each in its own way.

Dec 16 19 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I would have told him to fuck off

Dec 16 19 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Depends. If someone I know and like well, not an issue, unless the models seem put off by his presence.

If not a good friend, “hey there, we are working here. Do you mind?” Probably long before the sync cord issue, too.

Dec 16 19 03:39 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

DCurtis wrote:
well, it was a pubic space

Freudian slip ?

Dec 16 19 04:46 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I would have accidentally spilled a large beverage on him from head to toe, hopefully something sticky.

Dec 16 19 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Thank goodness we are now living in the age of cordless. I couldn't stand using cords on location. I think now even broadcasters are cordless. Even tho cords could had double use as a lasso.

Dec 16 19 08:50 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
Depends. If someone I know and like well, not an issue, unless the models seem put off by his presence.

If not a good friend, “hey there, we are working here. Do you mind?” Probably long before the sync cord issue, too.

This.

Dec 16 19 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Are you sure this post wasn't originally written as an April Fools' Day prank? It's hard to believe anyone, and especially another photographer, would be so grossly intrusive. But, if anyone behaved that way in the middle of my shoot I would likely lose my temper big-time and quickly run him off at first offense.

Dec 16 19 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Modelphilia wrote:
Are you sure this post wasn't originally written as an April Fools' Day prank? It's hard to believe anyone, and especially another photographer, would be so grossly intrusive. But, if anyone behaved that way in the middle of my shoot I would likely lose my temper big-time and quickly run him off at first offense.

I assure you I did not compose this OP as a prank.

The models knew the guy and were happy to see him, so I let the visit slide. Coming onto the set to chat with the momentarily inactive model, though, caught me by surprise. I said something along the lines of "Hey. We're working?" Admittedly wasn't forceful about it. Normally I warn in three volumes, 1) civil, 2) firm, 3) military voice.  I was just going into stage two, but shot straight into military voice -- "STOP!"-- as soon as he jerked the camera out of my hands. And when I caught the camera by the strap and realized he was still standing there on the cables and kicking about, in angry drill-sergeant military voice said "GET OFF MY GODDAMNED CABLES!" I was fully ready to pick him up and physically move him off the set. Two of the models complained that I was being mean to him. (That's why one left with him once she got out of the bridal gown. We'd worked together twice but we never sought each other out again after that. The model who caught the lightstand got to be an even better friend after that shoot and we're still friends twelve years on and two states away.)

I've shared shoots with other photographers and had some visit my shoots, and never had that degree of cluelessness/rudeness.

I did, years after that, have one other interruption, though not that egregious.

I was shooting a model in another photographer's garage studio -- he was providing the space for his model friend but not doing any shooting -- and during an an extended break they were chatting. But once the shooting resumed, right in the middle of a set he started talking with her again. The girl completely broke her focus. Space was tight, so I spoke softly, "<model>, I need you to focus. And <other photographer>, i need you to quit distracting her." He got huffy and went into the house and the model and MUA acted like I was being an unreasonable asshole. The mood was pretty much gone at that point, so I wrapped things up.

Dec 16 19 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war. If it even has a chance of screwing up my shoot it's DefCon2.

Dec 16 19 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war. If it even has a chance of screwing up my shoot it's DefCon2.

Amen! I would not have put up with  any of it. Not from photographers or models. And I damn sure  would not disturb  another photographer's shoot. Even if I were invited I would not even speak without permission.

Dec 16 19 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Dustin_S_

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

My day job is security, when I see photographers working I HAVE to keep an eye on them due to the nature of where I work (terror threats), as well as client direction (not allowed to take photos of clients logo). As parts are open to the public there is a fine line, so I usually nicely inform the group, and then end up talking about photography for a minute. I have yet to have issues.

In your situation, when he walked up and started to talk to the model you were actively trying to work with is when I would have said something.

Dec 16 19 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Shooting attractive models in public places is a magnet for drawing unwanted crowds. One of my experiences involved more than one photographer.

I was photographing a model in my city's botanical gardens for a Spring Festival feature. It was early morning and for part of the time we had the gardens to ourselves.

Then out of seemingly nowhere this lovely old gentleman appears and starts watching us from a distance. At an opportune moment he approached and kindly asked if it was okay to take a few pictures. I thought where's the harm in saying yes. My only proviso was he must also ask the model. He went over and got her permission and then walked off. The model and I shrugged out shoulders at each other and continued on with our shoot.

A short time later, a tour bus pulls up and out comes old mate with a bus load of all his camera club buddies. I already had the shots I needed, so my model kindly continued on and made their day.

Dec 16 19 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

FYI: That shoot happened at Sacramento's state capitol rose gardens. Great place to shoot. Early evening, I was expecting problems from the public but they were amazingly well-behaved. A few looky-loos but they kept their distance. Even the uninterested passersby seemed to try to stay out of the shots, though one middle-aged dickhead in Bermuda shorts tried to be in the background of the shots. Not a problem. He apparently never heard of shallow depth of field, cropping, and Photoshop.

Dec 16 19 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I expect it's unlikely he'd step in like that without first observing your patter/demeanour; and he wouldn't have done so if he wasn't certain he would get away with it.

So I'd say you need to learn how to develop a demeanour which commands respect. That's especially valuable when in the company of women as every dick and his bro will want to muscle in given half a chance. The girls don't need it and neither do you.

Dec 16 19 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

K I M I L Y wrote:
I expect it's unlikely he'd step in like that without first observing your patter/demeanour; and he wouldn't have done so if he wasn't certain he would get away with it.

So I'd say you need to learn how to develop a demeanour which commands respect. That's especially valuable when in the company of women as every dick and his bro will want to muscle in given half a chance. The girls don't need it and neither do you.

Conidering that he didn't notice the cords and nearly destroyed valuable equipment, it sounds to me more like he was just high. Certainly oblivious.

The OP's first sentence clearly states that this happened a LONG time ago. I find it interesting that so many responders are quick to make judgement calls as if this was a recent event or they were actually there and understand all the nuances. Which says nothing about the OP whatsoever...

Dec 17 19 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Back then, networking with models and photographers was a big plus for me. Sat in on several other photographers' shoots and kept silent and out of the way. Had several phototgraphers watch mine with no problems and some good vibes and technical exchange. To this day I don't mind another photographer watching as long as he or she behaves. Talking with an idle model is still okay in my book as long as doing so is not countermanding any of my instructions (there's only one director), disrupting the MUAHs from their work, or causing a distraction to the model on set.

For clarification: The clod's transition from [okay] chatting with the idles to [unacceptable] stepping on set to chat with the active happened in a matter of seconds. I was changing memory cards and I'd already used the level-one civil voice on him to zero effect. Before I got a chance to use level-two, the camera got jerked out of my hands before I got the card cover shut, which is when I shot straight to level-three military voice. The problem had escalated in seconds from breach of etiquette to a threat of equipment damage.

I guess I'll just continue to differ with some photographers on the issue of allowing another photographer to chat with the idle members. Unless he's causing a problem behind the scenes, my concern is the active set. Since I don't see any multi-model/multi-MUAH shoots in my near future, controlling the smaller shoots will remain not much of a problem.

This thread weas mainly to see how others would handle the situation, and I thank you for the responses.

Dec 17 19 11:58 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Conidering that he didn't notice the cords and nearly destroyed valuable equipment, it sounds to me more like he was just high. Certainly oblivious.

The OP's first sentence clearly states that this happened a LONG time ago. I find it interesting that so many responders are quick to make judgement calls as if this was a recent event or they were actually there and understand all the nuances. Which says nothing about the OP whatsoever...

You should learn to read more carefully.

The OP did indeed say that it happened a long time ago. However, he also said that it's happened to him several times since. I hope that what I contributed helps him figure out how to ensure that it doesn't continue to happen to him in future.

Dec 17 19 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

K I M I L Y wrote:
However, he also said that it's happened to him several times since.

Speaking of reading more carefully, I also mentioned that in those subsequent events, I did deal with it more immediately and effectively.

The last time was eight or nine years ago. Considering I've never had a dedicated studio space of my own and I shoot in public or borrowed spaces, I'm fairly satisified with the infrequency of such interruptions I've had since that bull-in-a-china-shop in the capitol rose garden..

Dec 17 19 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

K I M I L Y wrote:

You should learn to read more carefully.

The OP did indeed say that it happened a long time ago. However, he also said that it's happened to him several times since. I hope that what I contributed helps him figure out how to ensure that it doesn't continue to happen to him in future.

Hmm... I did read more carefully. It seems some things slipped by you though.
We both have more important things to care about.

Dec 17 19 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Hmm... I did read more carefully. It seems some things slipped by you though.
We both have more important things to care about.

Indeed I do, thanks for reminding me.
Merry Christmas.

Dec 17 19 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Had one chronic interrupter I didn't mind at all. The military voice probably wouldn't have worked on him, anyway.

In one my earliest shoots, I was shooting in a teen model's home. At one point the black velvet backdrop was moving. Suddenly a kitten appeared on the backdrop's crossbar. He did a Spidercat leap onto the back of the girl's head. After another leap, we threw him out of the room and then out of the house. Her found his way back in each time. More Spidercat. At one point he somehow got completely entangled in power lines and cables. completely helpless on his back, flailing his legs and tail as he hissed.

It was about time for a break and change, anyway, so I did a mini-shoot with the model's little sister, who'd been studying everything so intently and unobtrusively, and the manic kitten. Funny thing, as soon as the kitten was part of the shoot, he settled right down. And was cool the rest of the night.

Dec 17 19 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

K I M I L Y wrote:

Indeed I do, thanks for reminding me.
Merry Christmas.

And a Merry Christmas to you as well!

Dec 17 19 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Orca Bay Images wrote:
FYI: That shoot happened at Sacramento's state capitol rose gardens. Great place to shoot. Early evening, I was expecting problems from the public but they were amazingly well-behaved. A few looky-loos but they kept their distance. Even the uninterested passersby seemed to try to stay out of the shots, though one middle-aged dickhead in Bermuda shorts tried to be in the background of the shots. Not a problem. He apparently never heard of shallow depth of field, cropping, and Photoshop.

On a group shoot tour, one photographer had this knack for taking a model and himself directly into the background where I was shooting. He was a good distance away, and no use screaming to get them to move. I repositioned to allow easy editing later. When he came back, I chatted with him about looking behind him to see if a model and photographer were lined up in his direction. He apologized, and for the rest of the tour, he never entered my frame. However, I heard a couple of the other photographers commenting about him wandering into their backgrounds. I'm not sure if he was trying to ruin other shots or just walking about without a clue. Inconsiderate either way.

At an open house for a wildlife center, it seemed whenever I composed a shot, this lady wearing bright red pants would walk behind the bird I was photographing. I started aiming to the far left or right, and sure enough she would appear. Then I'd swing my lens over to the bird in the middle, and get my shot without her red pants in the background. And yes, I'm sure she knew what she was doing after seeing her walk left to right a few times.

Lastly, it did not happen to me, but a photographer I was assisting. We were at an event shooting some models we brought along. This quite grossly obese man kept walking into the frame to get photographed with the models. What made it funny was the event was a World Naked Bike Ride, and this guy's fat rolls encased his manhood. Even though he ruined several images, it was quite funny for the models and photographer.

In all these cases, you are shooting in public, and you cannot stop someone from standing wherever they want. You can ask politely, but demanding someone move, you are more than likely going to get them to follow you around. I'd rather not have to edit every image, so I try to be polite.

Dec 19 19 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
WiIn all these cases, you are shooting in public, and you cannot stop someone from standing wherever they want. You can ask politely, but demanding someone move, you are more than likely going to get them to follow you around. I'd rather not have to edit every image, so I try to be polite.

That's why I didn't bother asking the guy in Bermuda shorts to get out of the background. I knew it would just make him worse, getting right up on the shot. (As it was, I was able to make him disappear, either in-camera or in post.)

But as soon as the visiting photographer ignored level-one voice and started pulling down equipment, military voice was the only option. It's the only time I've had to use military-voice in a model shoot.

I was second-shooter at several weddings and at the first one, I was prime shooter for the reception. Uncle Billy with his point-and-shoot was using me as his bird-dog to find the best shots. As soon as I locked in, Uncle Billy would jump right in front of me and get the shot. I tried level-one voice on him the first time. The second time, level-one with a tap on the back and a reminder I was working. Third time, military voice and a two-finger-poke to his chest that had to leave a bruise. (Military voice caused ripples for only a couple of yards in that scene.) Fourth time, the nuclear option. Level-one voice again, explaining that I was being paid to cover the event and if all I had to show the families of the bride and groom was  the back of his head, (here comes the nuke) I could bring the mother of the bride right over and he could explain to her why her thousands of dollars were spent on the back of his baseball cap. (That mother was a VERY scary lady. This was a ranching family and I once saw her bucking hay bales.)

For the rest of the reception, Uncle Billy still watched where I was going, but from the other side of the room. He stayed 180-degrees from me so well, he was behind the bride and groom in almost every shot... out of sight.

Dec 19 19 08:26 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"we'll be finishing up here in X time if you want to come back then"

If that doesn't get the point across then I stop giving a shit about how it looks, I'm telling them to fuck off.

Dec 21 19 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
"we'll be finishing up here in X time if you want to come back then"

If that doesn't get the point across then I stop giving a shit about how it looks, I'm telling them to fuck off.

Where's that "like" button when you need it.

I know, expensive, but the original set up makes a classic case for having a couple of large, well-muscled security types around to assist interlopers in finding their way off set.

Dec 22 19 06:42 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Around here, it's more an issue of vagrants wandering onto set, or riding onto it with some beater bicycle. Not to mention some bringing along their toys like shopping carts (i.e. "CA pickup trucks"), lug wrenches, bats, and golf clubs.  Panhandling for almost anything too.  Some cannot even talk, other than saying "gack, gack, gack" - if anyone speaks or understands that.

Least we can file for a $170 city photo permit and hire a cop for $83.98/hour (four-hour minimum) to protect the set from them...maybe.  Photographer crashing the set might be a means of 'safety in numbers' from keeping the "extras" at bay.

Dec 22 19 09:10 am Link

Photographer

SoCal Surf and Sport

Del Mar, California, US

If it happened today I'd start shooting video on my phone and post it to IG and everywhere else and obviously include the name of the photographer.

Jan 23 20 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't tolerate other photographers interfering with the shoot. One guy tried to talk me, introducing himself as a photographer. I said "I'm sorry but I'm shooting right now."  He left. I think I have a killer gaze. When I was eleven I would look at younger children and they would start crying.  I have shooed other photographers away when I shoot on permit. "I have a permit for this. . . please get out of the background." Out of the background? They leave the beach.

Park rangers don't tolerate me unless I have a permit and then they are shocked. Usually a model has a copy which she  hands to the ranger. One model thought I was mean. I agreed and said. "I have a permit. It costs me and it means that I have the right to shoot and I ask a model and a photographer to get out of the background so you look good."

Jan 23 20 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

LA StarShooter wrote:
I don't tolerate other photographers interfering with the shoot. One guy tried to talk me, introducing himself as a photographer. I said "I'm sorry but I'm shooting right now."  He left. I think I have a killer gaze. When I was eleven I would look at younger children and they would start crying.  I have shooed other photographers away when I shoot on permit. "I have a permit for this. . . please get out of the background." Out of the background? They leave the beach.

Park rangers don't tolerate me unless I have a permit and then they are shocked. Usually a model has a copy which she  hands to the ranger. One model thought I was mean. I agreed and said. "I have a permit. It costs me and it means that I have the right to shoot and I ask a model and a photographer to get out of the background so you look good."

Most permits I am aware of do not give you exclusive use. You have every right to tell someone to get out of your background, but they have every right to ignore you, too. They could be holding a permit, too.

If you have an exclusive permit, a ranger should be there to tell the other people to move. You waving a piece of paper at me is not convincing. You asking politely is more convincing.

Jan 23 20 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Providence, Rhode Island, US

it is a public area and unless you have a permit to close it off you really can’t restrict his access to the park. However you booked the models and even if you are adjusting your cameras, they are still at work and it is your shoot.

Politely tell him that we are all working and he surely understands how offset distractions can ruin a shoot. Tell him when you will be finished if he wants to come by and socialize with the models then.

Feb 08 20 10:48 am Link