Forums > Critique > (New) Headshot . Beauty Shot or Fashion Shot ?

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Not exactly sure which genre this fits into - but let me know what You think of it

( edited )

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200106/21/5e1412009a90c.jpg

Jan 04 20 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

There was a time ( a decade or so ago ) when I could post an image for critique ( with a saucy topic title ) and get a thousand plus views ( the first day ) and generate multiple pages of critique

Do I miss those days ? No

But I am still trying to get better and appreciate any advice that will help me do so

Jan 05 20 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

It is not Fashion, nor is it Beauty.

If it were sharp - it is not - I would catagorize it as Product/Commercial/Catalog photography for displaying the sunglasses.

In my opinion, if you want to take it to the next level you will need a better MUA, a solid tripod, a sharp lens (the lack of true sharpness is an ongoing theme of yours) and a pro retoucher. Black is difficult to photograph well, ETTR will help in capture and lightening the shadows will help provide a more 3d look in the dark areas in post.

Hope you find my thoughts useful, cheers!

Jan 06 20 10:20 am Link

Model

Schoetze

New York, New York, US

I agree with shadow dancer, it is a commercial shot.

Jan 06 20 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Shadow Dancer wrote:
It is not Fashion, nor is it Beauty.

If it were sharp - it is not - I would catagorize it as Product/Commercial/Catalog photography for displaying the sunglasses.

In my opinion, if you want to take it to the next level you will need a better MUA, a solid tripod, a sharp lens (the lack of true sharpness is an ongoing theme of yours) and a pro retoucher. Black is difficult to photograph well, ETTR will help in capture and lightening the shadows will help provide a more 3d look in the dark areas in post.

Hope you find my thoughts useful, cheers!

Good Points - Thank You

Shot with my Rebel and 17 to 85 Lens ( which should be upgraded ) Model did her own Makeup and Minimal Retouching

Jan 06 20 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:

Good Points - Thank You

Shot with my Rebel and 17 to 85 Lens ( which should be upgraded ) Model did her own Makeup and Minimal Retouching

Nothing wrong with a Rebel, still using my T2i as it works fine.
The 50 1.8 STM is nice and sharp, so is the 40 2.8 STM. Both are very affordable. A bit more but I often use the 85 1.8, very sharp and good in low light. Equivalent working distance on a Rebel is 136mm, good for headshots and such.

I've got a Tamron 90 2.8 macro that is very sharp but has nice out of focus blending too. Those can be had on the cheap used.

Quality zooms cost more, especially if they have larger apertures like 2.8. I got a deal on craigslist last year, a 70-200 f4L, 17-40 f4L and the Tamron, plus a Canon 20d with batteries and cards, all for $350. Sold the camera for $60 so now I have $290 in the 3 lenses. The 17-40 is a gem on a crop sensor camera, sharp at all focal lengths.

Jan 06 20 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

I did not understand this before now

Commercial Photography sells a Product while Fashion Photography sells a Lifestyle

Jan 06 20 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Garry k wrote:
I did not understand this before now

Commercial Photography sells a Product while Fashion Photography sells a Lifestyle

It's a beauty shot.

Jan 07 20 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I don't know which genre this is.

The hair is not styled enough for it to look like a professional commercial shoot.

Lighting is a little flat too. Earring is no good either.

Not quite commercial, not quite beauty, not quite a portrait.

Jorge, Destroyer of Dreams.

You have better work than this, Garry.

Jan 07 20 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
I don't know which genre this is.

The hair is not styled enough for it to look like a professional commercial shoot.

Lighting is a little flat too. Earring is no good either.

Not quite commercial, not quite beauty, not quite a portrait.

Jorge, Destroyer of Dreams.

You have better work than this, Garry.

Thanks Jorge

Coffee is on me next time i am in LA

( I know i said that before - but i will try and get your phone number right next time )

tongue

Jan 07 20 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Maybe then - it is simply a portrait of a Model wearing Sunglasses ?

Jan 07 20 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Garry k wrote:
Maybe then - it is simply a portrait of a Model wearing Sunglasses ?

I buy that.

Jan 07 20 10:28 am Link

Photographer

GSG Photography Studio

Portland, Oregon, US

Happy 2020,
Your photo has the word (edited), I just don't see that. Hair is Ratted, loose strands on her forehead, hard line on her make-up, skin blemish everywhere, and earring looks like it's barely hanging on.
I don't see it edited. I think it would be an easy fix if you shot in raw you should be able to pull a little more lighting to make it pop!
Garry K your work is amazing, your photos are strong, not sure why you would use this as your avatar profile pic.
I look forward to see more of your amazing Post this year!

Jan 07 20 10:45 am Link

Photographer

ElegantOrchid

Largo, Florida, US

I agree with a lot of the other critiques I'm seeing here. For me, it's underexposed. I'm blown away by your port... as I've been watching you for a while. (Looking up to you, morelike) So I'm a bit confused by this one. Maybe growing into a new area? Pump up the exposure, do a little shadow bump, throw some (carefully done) dodge and burn and you'd have a good commercial piece.

Jan 07 20 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

GSG Photography Studio wrote:
Happy 2020,
Your photo has the word (edited), I just don't see that. Hair is Ratted, loose strands on her forehead, hard line on her make-up, skin blemish everywhere, and earring looks like it's barely hanging on.
I don't see it edited. I think it would be an easy fix if you shot in raw you should be able to pull a little more lighting to make it pop!
Garry K your work is amazing, your photos are strong, not sure why you would use this as your avatar profile pic.
I look forward to see more of your amazing Post this year!

Thank You for your kind words about my work

Most of my MM Photos are old ( from back in the days when i was learning to become a photographer ) and Yes there are a couple of gems there that work well as avatar shots

but i am finding out ( since I seriously started my IG about a year ago ) that more and more Models are attracted to my Beauty Shots there - and i have been riffing on that a bit lately . Oh and I am a sucker for Interestinig Looking Sunglasses ( cheap or expensive )

My  Editing of the Photo ( since i originally posted it ) has only been to sharpen certain areas of the face - in response to some of the initial feedback was regarding the Photo

I am going to try another version where I soften the makeup line on her cheek and tidy up the hair a bit

Jan 07 20 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

ElegantOrchid wrote:
I agree with a lot of the other critiques I'm seeing here. For me, it's underexposed. I'm blown away by your port... as I've been watching you for a while. (Looking up to you, morelike) So I'm a bit confused by this one. Maybe growing into a new area? Pump up the exposure, do a little shadow bump, throw some (carefully done) dodge and burn and you'd have a good commercial piece.

Thank You

I am just an average photographer who has had the good fortune to work with some great Models

smile

Jan 07 20 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Garry k wrote:

Thanks Jorge

Coffee is on me next time i am in LA

( I know i said that before - but i will try and get your phone number right next time )

tongue

No, you must come to the studio for some Italian espresso. smile

Jan 07 20 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
No, you must come to the studio for some Italian espresso. smile

I like the sound of that

Jan 07 20 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Better ?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200109/04/5e171e74b6f52.jpg

Jan 09 20 04:19 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Garry k wrote:
Better ?

You have stray hairs on her forehead. It is a beauty shot, which would have profited from a different lens choice-going towards 200mm, and a change in angle.

Jan 09 20 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Redacted. I'll leave critiques to the experts.

Jan 10 20 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Gary k, why are you trying to salvage this lazy, sloppy shot?  As people have pointed out, you needed to put more thought into it before you pressed the shutter.

Jan 10 20 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Fleming Design wrote:
Gary k, why are you trying to salvage this lazy, sloppy shot?  As people have pointed out, you needed to put more thought into it before you pressed the shutter.

Sometimes its a Process

You like what You see in Camera and take the Photo

But upon examing that photo - You realize somethings not right but you cant put your finger on it

You ask for some feedback from others - and are fortunate to get it

So then You have an opportunity to work on your Retouching Skills

Jan 10 20 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Garry k wrote:
Better ?

Not in significant ways but as you said, an opportunity to work on retouching skills.
I've done that, there is much to learn from our mistakes.

Jan 10 20 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Camera Buff wrote:
Redacted. I'll leave critiques to the experts.

Everyones opinion counts

( but maybe not equally )

Jan 10 20 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

I see this shot of your model wearing sunglasses as being a commercial image.

I also think that some people who critique cannot see, understand, or focus on an image in its entirety due to being preoccupied with minor details.

Having said that, some of these minor details could have and should have been fixed before this shot was taken. But I don’t believe that it is too late to ‘salvage/improve’ this image in post production.

But rather than me telling you, if I have your permission, I would like to show you how IMO your picture could look better.

Jan 11 20 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Camera Buff wrote:
I see this shot of your model wearing sunglasses as being a commercial image.

I also think that some people who critique cannot see, understand, or focus on an image in its entirety due to being preoccupied with minor details.

Having said that, some of these minor details could have and should have been fixed before this shot was taken. But I don’t believe that it is too late to ‘salvage/improve’ this image in post production.

But rather than me telling you, if I have your permission, I would like to show you how IMO your picture could look better.

Sure - would You like for me to send You the original file ( which is in JPeg I'm afraid )

Jan 11 20 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Newest Edit

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/200111/08/5e19f71651974.jpg

Jan 11 20 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Garry k wrote:
Sure - would You like for me to send You the original file ( which is in JPeg I'm afraid )

'Link/Image deleted'

The shot now looks more like a product shot for Louis Vuitton sunglasses, rather than a personal photograph of the model.

Jan 11 20 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

I like what i see - but it is kind of small

Jan 11 20 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Garry k wrote:
I like what i see - but it is kind of small

'Link/Image deleted'

Jan 11 20 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Camera Buff wrote:

I have unhidden your larger image that's in my album. You can now drag or save it to your desktop. Please let me know when I can remove it from my album.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1726009/0

Disclaimer: I am not an expert photographer, or retoucher.

I like that the focus is on the glasses

Not sure what I will do with mine right now except bury it for a while until I can get caught up on my IG .. I have at least 120 photos ahead of it in the cue

Jan 11 20 11:02 pm Link