Forums > Critique > Critique me, please! New member :)

Photographer

eternally_yours_studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hi everyone! If you've got a few free moments, I would really appreciate any critiques you may have for my portfolio. Anything from specific technical feedback to basic, "I like/don't how you edited these colors."

Hope to see you here!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/4585961/viewall

Dec 09 20 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Hi,

I'm not particularly fond of the avatar choice.

Keep shooting!

Dec 10 20 05:08 am Link

Photographer

eternally_yours_studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Good point; it’s actually just a placeholder for now, but I do think I’ll change it to an actual image. Thank you

Dec 11 20 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

It looks like you need to do a LOT more shooting and experimenting!

Also, try finding photography that you like a lot, or study some of the masters of whatever styles you like most. Study their lighting and composition, then learn how to direct models and how to make them comfortable when shooting with you. Crazily angled models aren't everything, nor are untra-close-ups of body parts.

That said, I like the colors and composition of this shot:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/46694055

Most of all, enjoy yourself! And let your creativity flow.

Dec 11 20 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

For the most part they look like snapshots to me - but I like the colors in the last few

Maybe take some basic Photography Courses - especially Composition

Dec 11 20 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

I would remove all the beard close ups, the shower one and the close up of the child's face. Stick to the other photos for now but definitely keep on shooting and working to hone your skills.

I would like to see more pose variety from the flexible lady that likes putting her leg up on stuff.

This is my favorite photo of what you have but there are still things that I would change.

1. The fact that I can see straight up her nose detracts from the image in my opinion. You can fix that by having her tilt her chin down or choosing a different camera angle.
2. The lighting is harsh on the model
3. There is some sort of weird blurr effect going on

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/201204/17/5fcae68fac6a3_m.jpg

Cheers,
Noah

Dec 12 20 12:29 am Link

Photographer

epsilon images

Bellevue, Washington, US

Agreed.  Toss the beards (I have one, so it's nothing personal :-)  ).
More models.
More poses -- she definitely has great legs, but 3 shots with the foot up in the air gets repetitive.
Consider different outfits and makeup.  Imagine her lipstick echoing the colors of the background e.g. yellow lipstick in that radially-blurred shot, or a green one in the travelers shot.
I would (totally personal preference here) avoid cooking the shoots -- e.g. that pointed pink finger thing and the radial bur.
The picture of the boy and the hand are fine, but this is possibly wrong website for that.  If you want to keep them, I would at least have a separate album called "art" or something like that.
I would suggest throwing more light at the model -- e.g. the the "flowers" image, I can barely see her.  A $30 reflector would fix that.
Best of luck to you!

Dec 12 20 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rough Hewn Images

Salem, Oregon, US

I actually like the entire set!  Always remember to shoot for yourself and other will like or dislike according to their tastes.

To me most of them fit into the "Street Photography" genre and do it well.  The ones with the model are the outliers but I like them too.  Maybe the model fits more into the "Urban Look" category.

Dec 13 20 04:04 pm Link