Forums > Photography Talk > Pixel shifting anyone?

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

As anyone experimented with this technology for architectural or landscape technique? And find it worth it?
Unless you are a professional photographer and make very large prints, I can't see the advantage but My eyes are in their late seventies.....

Jan 28 21 10:30 am Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

A photographer was telling me about a camera he had that did it about 15 years ago. I forget what camera it was, but I think it was medium format. Sounded pretty slick, as long as nothing in frame is in motion.

Feb 11 21 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Everything has to be DEAD still otherwise you get motion artefacts when the software tries to interpret what's happened between images. Ideal for the studio environment, possible outside but conditions have to be ideal.

Sep 26 21 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I tried to use it outdoors on a day with seemingly no wind. Shot quite a few exposures, some of them 16 frame, some 4 frame. None of them was a complete success. The one with two people walking through it came out quite strange.

One interesting feature - you can process parts of a 16 frame exposure as a 4 frame - I was not expecting that.

This was with a Sony A7RIV. I would say on a tripod, in a studio, shooting still life, only. Other people say it worked for them - maybe I forgot to press the magic button, or maybe I have to stand on one leg while singing a song in Japanese?

Sep 28 21 11:44 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Some film photographers use it for scanning large format negatives.

Sep 29 21 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What is the purpose of Pixel shifting ?

The examples I've seen online don't appear any sharper than the originals, in fact they appeared less sharp and softer overall.

Sep 30 21 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Primary motivation is supposed to be to avoid Bayer matrix interpolation by moving the sensor so every pixel is read with each colour filter.

I have heard it suggested that this could be good for art reproduction.

Sep 30 21 06:11 pm Link