Forums > Photography Talk > See yah Capture One Pro

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I cant believe I'm saying this but I think its time I kick Capture One Pro to the curb for Light-Room. C1P cant stop doing updates every ten minuets that break pathways and connectivity. It used to be LR was unstable for tethering but I used it recently and my Z5 got along with it just fine. Any other capture one pro users out there been fighting this? I wont mind not paying the extra coin that's for sure.

Aug 23 21 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm still on Capture One 20, so I haven't had any issues.

However, I'll take a bit of an educated guess here.    There hasn't been an update for 3 months until a week ago. At that point they introduced an all new BETA service that was added (Capture One LIVE) for remote coordination between various parties.  Then they quickly issued a fix 3 days later.

That new beta remote coordination and communication tool, at least to me, sure sounds suspiciously like the culprit for the update issues that you're seeing.   Just my personal guess though...

Aug 23 21 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

The one three months ago wasn't so bad but I get tired of learning curves on the job while trying to just do a shoot. I don't know LR is any better in that regard.

Aug 23 21 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Disconnect from internet while shooting ?
Have not connected Windows 10 laptop in years because of update issues

Aug 23 21 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Hmmm….I am not seeing that behavior….I’m on a Mac, C1 seems to be behaving same as it ever did, been in there most of the afternoon, am on 2021 edition and latest parch. I wonder what’s different with your setup?

Can’t imagine using LR for tethering but it’s actually better for library Managment than CI IMO

Aug 23 21 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Marc S Photography

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

It's possible that the issue that you are having is due to an operating system update, if it was recently updated with patches or security fixes and soon after you began to have problems tethering.

Aug 23 21 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have had no issues with C1P and will stay with it. The worst day with C1P is light years better than LR at it’s best.

Aug 24 21 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Sometimes it doesn't show the camera is plugged in at all. Other times the is camera is connected and shows the settings.  click, -nothing. The images going nowhere.
First couple clicks are fine. Then Plthth. nothing.

LR as a backup now working better than Capture One. Recognizes camera and settings, all seems well.
Same cable, same usb input, same rig. Works = screw it, ok, Light room it is. Who knew.

Aug 24 21 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

No problems here - version 14.3.1 on both Windows 10 and M1 Mac Mini.

Aug 25 21 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Randy Poe wrote:
Sometimes it doesn't show the camera is plugged in at all. Other times the is camera is connected and shows the settings.  click, -nothing. The images going nowhere.
First couple clicks are fine. Then Plthth. nothing.

LR as a backup now working better than Capture One. Recognizes camera and settings, all seems well.
Same cable, same usb input, same rig. Works = screw it, ok, Light room it is. Who knew.

Is that the only camera you have tried tethering with? I read that it is supported by C1Pro in version 20 and higher, but the Z5 is not exactly the benchmark for tethering. I have found it a stable platform for my work for the past 10 years. They have added a lot more functionality in recent versions that I don't find myself needing so I am still working on older versions.

Aug 26 21 04:28 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

tcphoto wrote:
I have had no issues with C1P and will stay with it. The worst day with C1P is light years better than LR at it’s best.

I was an LR user for many years, but decided to try C1 a couple of years ago. No problems so far.

Aug 26 21 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

I want to say I am happy it is working for all of you. I suppose I need to face it the issue might be a system issue on my end. Mano I'm just not up to somehow fix a system that is only broken for a program that I feel is the one bringing me work issues. The reason I been paying all this money all these years is the tethering. It seems to me if LR has overcome old problems I'm going to give them a longer term try.

Aug 26 21 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Lightroom is better at a few things…however they do their database is much more robust that C1 so I still use it for large scale asset management.  C1 should really always be used in “Session” mode and not “Library” mode if you are working with thousands of images, because there is a line where the database just corrupts and MAY not be repairable- and that means a bunch of work may need to be redone.  Of course that has nothing to do with your tether issue, but it’s the biggest problem I have seen with C1.

If the issue is on going I can definitely  understand pivoting to something else; these tools are supposed to get out of your way, not interrupt your workflow.  If the problem doesn’t follow the camera/cable, yeah, something with your C1 install or OS is borked….how you choose to rectify that is your lookout.  In similar situations with the tools on my Windows DAW system (Calewalk by Bandlab) a clean install was needed about 3 weeks ago for *some* reason, but switching DAW software is not a realistic option and Cakewalk is windows only so that and my photo booth are the only PCs around here….  The DAW was losing a PCI card (UA octacore DSP card) about half the time, would clear up after a reboot, then lose the card again within a day.  Clean reinstall cleared the issue.  Never figured out what it was but it’s been stable since.

My C1 is on a Mac and most of the others reporting no issues seem to be Mac as well.  Just sayin…

Aug 27 21 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Lafferty

Brooklyn, New York, US

OP, still haven't seen if you're on a Mac. Might have missed it.

If you are, and you've moved to Catalina, Big Sur or whatever, you're experiencing intermittent tether disconnects, drop outs and lack of connects for two reasons:

1) You haven't granted Capture One the appropriate disk access. See this excerpt from Phase:

10. Grant Capture One proper accessibility and disk access in Apple System Preferences. Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy. Unlock the window by clicking on the lock and entering your password. Then add Capture One by clicking the "+" button. Do this for both Accessibility and Full Disk Access options.

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us … fer-images

Also check the above page to make sure you're doing best practices (just in case, but I'm pretty sure the above will solve your problem, in conjunction with...)

2) You've got a card in camera. This used to be an old "fail safe", but with some combination of moving to USB-C and whatever system level bus drivers and software, we can't have a card in camera anymore. On my USB-3, D810, going to an older MacBook Pro? No problem. Same camera, same cable, but with a USB-C adapter, moved to my 2019 MBP? Problems. Take the card out of the camera? Problems go away.

Sep 01 21 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

I am PC. I know that shoots down all possibility of it being anyone else's fault but mine but there it is. 

As far as the permissions go I can make it work just not reliably. So the pathway is open.

Now that card thing I admit I did not know that and not only that they are rather large capacity SD cards like twin 64g. I occasionally disconnect for varying short leash issues but I could try a small Gb with a fast mega speed and see what that does.

That's a heck of a tip thanks.

Sep 01 21 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

You may be onto something.

I digteched the last two days on a shoot that went straight to Lightroom.  No Camera One.

Sep 01 21 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Well I tried C1P again tonight. cough, cough. Zero problems. I admit it, user error I suppose.  Thanks for the help guys. LR could still be hot on the tail of Capture One Pro but I do still prefer using C1P

Sep 02 21 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I am not seeing any of the problems you're seeing. I have C1pro v 21, sunning on a Windows 7 machine, and so far, it has been very solid. I also have LR CC on the same system, but I don't really use it other than generate proofs (stamping a "PROOF" watermark on batches is easier on LR).

To get ahead of the question, "Why are you still using Windows 7?", it's because it's not broken. Everything I need to run, runs quite well on my Windows 7 system. It's no longer supported by Microsoft, but as I also don't get any of the updates, I see it as a blessing. I have never needed to contact Microsoft so it's not like I will miss their tech support. If anything were to cause the OS to blow up, I have a clean image I can revert to with all the software pre-installed and registered. Takes about 4 hours, but it's painless.

Sep 12 21 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

I am happy for you you beat the system. Pun fully intended. I cannot tell you the fight I had recently over the scanner not wanting to recognize our not really all that old equipment. All operating system related shenanigans. It is completely diabolical

Sep 13 21 11:24 am Link