Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Infra-Red Photography

Photographer

Sam Akhtar

Panaji, Goa, India

Hey Community

after a lot of trial and errors, I have managed to shoot Glam in Infra-red, Please see my Info-Red folder and please share your frank opinion.

Thank you

Jan 30 22 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rene S

Quarteira, Algarve, Portugal

Hi Sam,

With respect to your IR photography and shooting models in that medium, a few things stick out to me.  First off, shooting in IR can be challenging on it's own.  If you are going to shoot models in that medium I think you need to have a dedicated camera that has been converted into an IR camera (meaning the IR filter is removed from the camera sensor).  It seem to me that you might be shooting with an IR filter over your lens.  This can make it things very difficult because you need to shoot at slower shutter speeds and this will allow for too much movement.  Converting the camera allows you to shoot and focus in real time and use much higher shutter speeds and lower fstops.  Almost all your shots are out of focus on the models.

Secondly, compared to your other MM categories with other models (some great stuff in there) these model shots seem very amateurish compared.  I feel like you have sacrificed lighting, posing, composition, etc to try and accommodate the IR look.  Shooting people in IR light is hard because it captures no life in the eyes (black eyes) and give an eerie feeling to the overall portrait (if that's what you're going for then fair enough).

Anyway, just some casual observations on this.  I have dabbled a lot in IR photography and certainly know the challenges and victories it provides.  Good luck with your exploration in this medium. 

R

May 11 22 06:29 am Link