Forums > Photography Talk > You're Dead

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

So now what happens to all your images? Mine will all be destroyed except for family images I've given to my kids.

May 31 22 12:10 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

What about your online images?

At Model Mayhem, once we receive an obituary notice we typically add a note to the profile page but keep it online unless we receive instructions not to (in advance or from the next of kin, etc).

I believe some social media sites now provide similar options or you can direct them to provide your login info to someone of your choosing.

May 31 22 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:
What about your online images?

At Model Mayhem, once we receive an obituary notice we typically add a note to the profile page but keep it online unless we receive instructions not to (in advance or from the next of kin, etc).

I believe some social media sites now provide similar options or you can direct them to provide your login info to someone of your choosing.

I don't really care. Besides, how will MM find out? The CC will stop working but MM doesn't like deleting accounts. And I don't use social media. Too much censorship. I have a flickr account but the CC will stop working so it will drop to a basic account and most all images will get deleted.

May 31 22 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Znude! wrote:
You're Dead
So now what happens to all your images? Mine will all be destroyed except for family images I've given to my kids.

My images are on my hard drives.

Znude! wrote:
I don't really care. Besides, how will MM find out? The CC will stop working but MM doesn't like deleting accounts. And I don't use social media. Too much censorship. I have a flickr account but the CC will stop working so it will drop to a basic account and most all images will get deleted.

Mention MM in your will.

May 31 22 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

I too have hard drives filled with images. They are not important. I have instructed someone I trust to destroy them. I only ask this question to see if anyone feels they have created anything that should be preserved past their death. It would be interesting to see what value or importance people place on their images. There are some exceptional artists and art.

May 31 22 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

You're dead.

Therefore.

It doesn't matter anymore.

May 31 22 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

CraigBlankPhoto

Redondo Beach, California, US

I think people all over the fashion world will be clamoring for my images when I die. LOL! I will make my wife executor of my hard drives. Maybe I will make more money dead then when I was alive?

Jun 01 22 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Most people think I've already been dead for years  .  .  .  always confuses them when some of my new work shows up somewhere or other  .  .  .  I'm hoping to expand my potential audience by having NASA or Spacex include some of my nudes on one of their Mars landings, let's see if I kin get a positive review outta an extraterrestrial or two, do ya think they've bought into NFTs yet  .  .  .  based on how many of my images have been heisted and duplicated from various locations, they may be doomed to survive into perpetuity  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jun 01 22 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I would imagine that most photographers' life's works will end up in the landfill or local dump.

It's unfortunate, but most photographers don't make provisions for what to do with their photographs.

Negatives, prints, Polaroids, hard drives, etc. are seldom provided for, and the people inheriting them usually have no idea what they are, or what value they might have in the future, so they just throw them out.

An example is: Paul Outerbridge who was a famous fashion and commercial photographer, an early pioneer and teacher of color photography, and a creator of erotic nude photographs that could not be exhibited during his lifetime. When he passed away, his wife had no idea that his work might have any value, so she stashed as much as she could in her basement.

Many years later, a college photography student looked her up for an interview for a school project. She showed him what was left of her husband's collection. The student realized the significants of the photos and notified several galleries and auction houses, and Outerbridge's work was 're-discovered' and rescued.

Outerbridge's work is now part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art and prints are being sold for thousands of dollars.

Not everybody recognized the value of photography and might just see it as 'junk'.

Jun 01 22 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Eternal Photos

Belleville, Ontario, Canada

I'm not woried about who has access to the photos in order to make $$ cause I'm humble enough to know, they are worth 0 pretty much to others.  My only concern is the privacy of my clients.  As a  boudoir / fetish photographer I have many photos the clients would not want released to the world. Older stuff is arvhived and encrypted but more current stuff is on my PC of course.  It would not take an incredible expert to hack the PC if it ended up in some garage sale for instance.

So I am planning (Haven't yet) on putting instructions in my will to physically destroy certain drives, including the data drives on the PC upon my death.  (With a note to identify and send any unedited recent shoot files to the client (along with some photographer suggestions to handle editing them for the client))

Jun 05 22 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

Here in the Netherlands is custom to transfer all your wedding images (originals and processed) to another local photographer, because there could be demand for those from family. That can be 50 years years from now.

Jun 08 22 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

fotopfw wrote:
Here in the Netherlands is custom to transfer all your wedding images (originals and processed) to another local photographer, because there could be demand for those from family. That can be 50 years years from now.

That's a good idea, or even just transfer them to the customers themselves. I don't shoot weddings myself or even paid portrait work. But if I did I would make it possible for anyone I had shot for to have the images.

Jun 08 22 03:04 am Link

Photographer

AE Photography

Quartzsite, Arizona, US

Znude! wrote:

well... my former neighbor, Elmer Batters (google him if you don't know the name, he's def relevant) is dead but his images are still out there.

Up until the 2020 Beachie Creek Fire destroyed it, the main lodge at Opal Creek (Oregon) had several of my images on the walls. If they rebuild the lodge I will donate new.

Opal Creek is a very important and bright note in the history of Oregon's timber war of the 1990s and I was there. One of the few times in my life I was truly in the right place at the right time. And I have the pictures! Whether anyone will care about my photographic work after I'm gone? Both my kids are photogs in the PNW so, maybe...

Jun 08 22 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

sospix wrote:
I'm hoping to expand my potential audience by having NASA or Spacex include some of my nudes on one of their Mars landings, let's see if I kin get a positive review outta an extraterrestrial or two, do ya think they've bought into NFTs yet  .  .  . 
SOS

LoL, SOS, in fact if you can get NASA or Spacex to take a dozen of your images and as many easels and use them for props like you're having a show on the Martian surface, since that would be almost impossible to duplicate, that's the kind of thing that sells for millions on NFT's!!! LoL
John

Jun 09 22 01:12 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

my digital stuff? eh...some of it is 'out there' so I imagine it might hang around in various backwaters for a while.. while all the boxes of negs and books..I suppose my kid will take to the dump

all this is mostly for my amusement anyway so I think the universe will be okay w/o my stuff kicking around

Jun 09 22 10:38 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

John Silva Photography wrote:
LoL, SOS, in fact if you can get NASA or Spacex to take a dozen of your images and as many easels and use them for props like you're having a show on the Martian surface, since that would be almost impossible to duplicate, that's the kind of thing that sells for millions on NFT's!!! LoL
John

For some reason Elon has yet to respond to my query on the subject  .  .  .  jest imagine the riches he's passin' up  .  .  .  some people have no business savvy at all  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jun 09 22 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eternal Photos wrote:
I'm not woried about who has access to the photos in order to make $$ cause I'm humble enough to know, they are worth 0 pretty much to others.  My only concern is the privacy of my clients.  As a  boudoir / fetish photographer I have many photos the clients would not want released to the world. Older stuff is arvhived and encrypted but more current stuff is on my PC of course.  It would not take an incredible expert to hack the PC if it ended up in some garage sale for instance.

So I am planning (Haven't yet) on putting instructions in my will to physically destroy certain drives, including the data drives on the PC upon my death.  (With a note to identify and send any unedited recent shoot files to the client (along with some photographer suggestions to handle editing them for the client))

During the pandemic, a good friend of mine who specializes in boudoir photography came up with a good solution for the problem of what to do with her old photo files . . . she contacts the clients and informs them that the original photos from their photoshoot are scheduled to be destroyed . . . unless they would like to buy them from her.  I was surprised when I learned how many of her old clients were receptive to the idea and were willing to pay about half of what the original photosession cost.

Jun 15 22 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jun 15 22 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

The images on hard-drives and old computers will likely never be seen again unless I give someone the passwords.

PRINTS, on the other hand, have the possibility of lasting a few hundred years. Thus, printing out now what you really think will be memorable is a good way to let some of your best work survive you.

Nonetheless, everything we have done on this planet, all our systems of knowledge, all our art and writings, everything we build, all of it will become cosmic dust at some point. "Tempus fugit!" and life is but a cosmic dream.

Jul 29 22 11:04 pm Link