Forums > Photography Talk > Photography History Date the Image?

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

So I JUST learned of my Mom's maternal side lineage is from a prominent French family. Or at least the last name. Likely migrated here in the early - mid 1800's, maybe earlier. WE HAD NO IDEA. Other than the Native American part of my ancestry, I just assumed I came from random European immigrants like we all mostly did.

My question is, I know the ballpark answer to this but I am wondering about what year two particular photographs were taken.

1. Is there anyone that has enough knowledge to figure it out just looking at it if I post it?
2. Is there any other way to figure this out?

It would really piece together a lot for me. I realize this is random, but I just thought I'd try and see! smile

Jul 31 22 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

If the pictures are outside see if there is a car in it, that would help somewhat. Also the fashion of the subject might help.  If the pictures are studio shots, I have no idea where to look for clues.  It might be fun to post them and see if someone here can help.  Happy hunting!

Jul 31 22 05:29 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

https://ibb.co/0msdMss

https://ibb.co/7n03q94

I talked with a friend of mine who has a degree in photography history. (This is my family btw) I used math to figure out when I think both images were taken. I think the first one is somewhere between 1855 and 1870. Second, late 1800's - 1880-1890.

She agreed with my assumption. So any takers?

ALSO, I assumed the first image with the lady in the black dress (great great great great grandmother) was taken with people who had money because photography was so new then. Apparently it is still supply and demand then, too. I didn't factor that in. I do know this was probably in America NOT in a city.

Jul 31 22 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Sarah, I don’t know much about this but there are, I’m sure, many here that know a lot about it. But I believe to find people that have stolen ones images they use programs I believe I’ve heard them called “crawlers” to find where the same photos are posted on the internet.
Could you use aCrawler to find your images posted elsewhere? If you can find someone with the same image they’re probably related to you as well and know the history of the people in the image. Might be worth a try!? That’s the best I can come up with. Good luck.
John

Jul 31 22 07:08 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

John Silva Photography wrote:
Sarah, I don’t know much about this but there are, I’m sure, many here that know a lot about it. But I believe to find people that have stolen ones images they use programs I believe I’ve heard them called “crawlers” to find where the same photos are posted on the internet.
Could you use aCrawler to find your images posted elsewhere? If you can find someone with the same image they’re probably related to you as well and know the history of the people in the image. Might be worth a try!? That’s the best I can come up with. Good luck.
John

Oh, interesting!

Jul 31 22 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Tracking down our ancestors is a grabber, isn't it?

If you haven't already done so, you might look into getting involved in the many organizations (both free and subscriber-based) that can be extremely helpful in tracking down names and dates.  Google "tracing ancestors" will result in a VERY long list to look into.

Aug 01 22 11:24 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Managing Light wrote:
Tracking down our ancestors is a grabber, isn't it?

If you haven't already done so, you might look into getting involved in the many organizations (both free and subscriber-based) that can be extremely helpful in tracking down names and dates.  Google "tracing ancestors" will result in a VERY long list to look into.

I TOTALLY missed this post! Yes it was so cool to discover I came from Vikings! Super neat! I mean the science behind my blue eyes says I came from a common ancestor and I thought THAT was neat!

Thanks for the information!

Sep 04 22 04:58 pm Link