Forums > Photography Talk > New equipment.

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Is there a brand of tripods that are considered some of the better ones? I am looking for something with good top motion control and ease of knowing camera is locked in place. And of course fairly stable. Would like to stay under $150 price point.

Any good intervalometers that pretty much have all the features including trigger button?

Any set of color filters and holder for Harris shutter effects? I'm look for a variety of colors I can switch through seamlessly.

Jul 31 22 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
. . . ease of knowing camera is locked in place.

I can't give you any hardware recommendations. But here is a tip that I have picked up: after your camera is locked onto the tripod, lift up the camera and shake a bit. If the camera is not securely locked, that will be quite obvious.

Aug 01 22 07:41 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Is there a brand of tripods that are considered some of the better ones? I am looking for something with good top motion control and ease of knowing camera is locked in place. And of course fairly stable. Would like to stay under $150 price point.

Any good intervalometers that pretty much have all the features including trigger button?

Any set of color filters and holder for Harris shutter effects? I'm look for a variety of colors I can switch through seamlessly.

There are many options for tripods and tripod heads that vary greatly in both construction, functionality, and price. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing more about your specific needs. Manfrotto is an excellent brand and a good place to start your research.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Trip … 4075788743

Here are some wired and wireless intervalometers for different cameras with triggers, and various additional features.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N … amp;sts=ps

Filter holders and color filters:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/R … 4026728367

Aug 01 22 09:15 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

This post from another forum lists RGB filter sets for Harris shutters.

In regards to the holder/apparatus for a Harris shutter, you might have to go DIY.

Here is a recent Harris shutter project.  Note the dark slides at each end.

Here is a video of a flimsy Harris shutter, evidently made from poster board and a Cokin filter holder.

It would probably be wise to make the filter slide out of a black material.  Also, the sliding mechanism should have as little mass as possible, to avoid kinetic shock to the front of the lens.

Of course, you could simulate the Harris shutter effect, which was touched on in your previous MM thread.  There are zillions of YouTube tutorials on how to achieve the Harris shutter "effect" with photo editing software.

As for intervalometers with a shutter button, there are plenty.  Make sure that you get one that is compatible with your digital camera.

In regards to tripods, there are endless options.

Aug 01 22 11:07 am Link

Photographer

J Diffner Photography

Sequim, Washington, US

Just my two cents on the tripod.  Think of tripods like you think of lenses; a $150 tripod will be as long term useful to you as a $150 lens.  Pros will easily spend a grand or more on a good set of sticks because they know it will last for years (far longer than the camera and probably the lens it's holding).  Go to your local shop and do some comparison shopping to figure out what style/type you like then save your pennies and get the best you can afford.  Seriously, this is the one piece of gear that won't have to upgrade if you buy quality.

Aug 01 22 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

If you want a great tripod (not a "good" one) take action. Start surfing craigslist constantly and if something comes up, be FAST.
Check your local thrift stores 2 or 3 times a week. If you see something good, buy it then and there. It will be gone in a few minutes.

I had a decent, respectable Manfrotto tripod and head that served me well, it was in the tools section at Goodwill for $10.
Then, a well used but perfectly functional Gitzo Reporter tripod appeared on craigslist. I shot the seller a line saying I would buy it immediately and pay cash. $30 later, I have my lifetime tripod. It's not new, so what?
Somebody will be using it 50 years from now and loving it. Gitzo is great stuff. Yes, it's a bit heavy, the better to crack skulls with.

There are no miracles in retail, if somebody made a great tripod for $150 everybody would know about it.
Such things are fantasies, made of unobtainium.

Aug 01 22 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

The Other Place wrote:

This post from another forum lists RGB filter sets for Harris shutters.

In regards to the holder/apparatus for a Harris shutter, you might have to go DIY.

Here is a recent Harris shutter project.  Note the dark slides at each end.

Here is a video of a flimsy Harris shutter, evidently made from poster board and a Cokin filter holder.

It would probably be wise to make the filter slide out of a black material.  Also, the sliding mechanism should have as little mass as possible, to avoid kinetic shock to the front of the lens.

Of course, you could simulate the Harris shutter effect, which was touched on in your previous MM thread.  There are zillions of YouTube tutorials on how to achieve the Harris shutter "effect" with photo editing software.

As for intervalometers with a shutter button, there are plenty.  Make sure that you get one that is compatible with your digital camera.

In regards to tripods, there are endless options.

If one does DIY color filters where does one get a good quality transparent material?

Aug 01 22 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

If one does DIY color filters where does one get a good quality transparent material?

I would just use gels taped tautly to the sliding frame.

The Lee brand was listed in the forum post on tri-color filters that I linked, and Lee is also a prominent gel manufacturer.  Rosco and Gamcolor (now owned by Rosco) are two major brands.

You can order gels in 20"x22" sheets from theatrical supply houses and film/video sales and rental houses and probably on Amazon (and perhaps Ebay).

Some gel manufacturers give out ~3"x3" swatch books of their entire lines of gels for free.  If the front of your lens is smaller than 3" in diameter, you can just use the gels from those swatch books.

Rosco makes gel collection packs, and one of those is the CalColor Filter Kit, which includes primary/secondary colors in four different densities so that one can dial-in a fine color balance.

If you don't want to use gels, go with the other suggestions in the linked forum post on tricolor filters.  Most of those brands are available at camera stores and online.

Aug 01 22 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Sablesword

Gurnee, Illinois, US

J Diffner Photography wrote:
Just my two cents on the tripod.  Think of tripods like you think of lenses; a $150 tripod will be as long term useful to you as a $150 lens.

So "keep forever" like my cheap and cheerful 35mm and 50mm lenses? :p
Yes, I take your point - but I couldn't resist poking a hole in your analogy.

Aug 02 22 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Howard B

Bremerton, Washington, US

It is really hard to find a really good tripod for a $150. You may want to check craigslist for a used unit. The head for a really good tripod will cost well over $150.
You can be cheap on the photo equipment but money can go really fast. I spent $4500 for just a camera and still needed lots of other items to make it work. I use my Eos L type lenses on this camera and paid a lot for them and they still cost a lot for even old ones.
Good luck on finding the equipment but craigslist is a good start.

Aug 13 22 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

It's difficult to advise on a tripod without knowing how and where you intend to use it. If you want a tripod for indoor studio use, all I can suggest is that you buy the biggest and heaviest you can find and with a ball head and quick release camera platform.

The Canon EOS 10 35mm camera has a built-in intervalometer.

Sep 18 22 06:44 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

I have video tripods which can be used for stills. On the Benro setup I use an S8 head and used it runs around $230.00 The very tripod and head I have goes for over 530 dollars new. The video head can handle 17 pounds. It's good and does the job.

The heavier you go you will get more stability. My two tripod setups handle wind okay, which is pretty amazing as I rig at about 15 lbs

I also have a manfrotto setup about the same price as the Benro when I bought it. The reason I didn't try and buy the cheapest setup is that in the wilderness I need stability--and not travel tripod stability. The lastest setup on video: the camera, lens, and monitor and varicam shoulder mount is around 17k replacement value. It is insured. . ..

I have taken the manfrotto and Benro setups into the wilderness and carried the one I was taking in a bag slung over the shoulder. . The Varicam LT I have a bag that I carry on my back. I took it out to canyonlands. . .

Sep 18 22 12:13 pm Link