Forums > Photography Talk > Software that tells the difference between images?

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

I was wondering if there were any softwares that can look at multiple similar images and see relative changes of pixels to indicate motion? Perhaps cuts those differences out (using certain threshold) and creating a separate layer for those areas?

Sep 16 22 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

I have been messing with Harris Shutter effects but would like to apply more motion paths to still images.

Sep 18 22 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

This is commonly done in the "remote sensing" world. These are people who analyze satellite images for various reasons. This is called "change detection" in the world of remote sensing. It's done to look at things like large crops to determine if various diseases, and pests are impacting crops. It's also done to see if crops might need more, or less water. There are also other reasons for doing change detection, such as analyzing cities to study urban growth year over year. I tried doing this using Gimp a few years ago, and got it to work, but it was a haul, and not worth the effort. There are analytical issues that come into play, such as "nearest neighbor". Unless you absolutely want to do this, I'd recommend not exploring it unless you really want to go down the rabbit hole on this. A program that is used to analyze satellite images is called ENVI. There are some YouTube videos on this topic, but WOW they are boring. L3 Harris has some info on their site, and it's also pretty dry.
https://www.l3harrisgeospatial.com/Lear … ystems-GIS
https://www.l3harrisgeospatial.com/docs … lysis.html
You can probably find a way to load a photo into ENVI, but I've never tried it.

There was a opensource version of a tool that worked like ENVI, but I can't remember what it is called. Look around for remote sensing analysis software and you might find something.

Sep 24 22 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

AG_Boston wrote:
This is commonly done in the "remote sensing" world. These are people who analyze satellite images for various reasons. This is called "change detection" in the world of remote sensing. It's done to look at things like large crops to determine if various diseases, and pests are impacting crops. It's also done to see if crops might need more, or less water. There are also other reasons for doing change detection, such as analyzing cities to study urban growth year over year. I tried doing this using Gimp a few years ago, and got it to work, but it was a haul, and not worth the effort. There are analytical issues that come into play, such as "nearest neighbor". Unless you absolutely want to do this, I'd recommend not exploring it unless you really want to go down the rabbit hole on this. A program that is used to analyze satellite images is called ENVI. There are some YouTube videos on this topic, but WOW they are boring. L3 Harris has some info on their site, and it's also pretty dry.
https://www.l3harrisgeospatial.com/Lear … ystems-GIS
https://www.l3harrisgeospatial.com/docs … lysis.html
You can probably find a way to load a photo into ENVI, but I've never tried it.

There was a opensource version of a tool that worked like ENVI, but I can't remember what it is called. Look around for remote sensing analysis software and you might find something.

If it's mostly for star specs in the sky I assume it's not quite right for me, but I'll check out a YouTube video anyway.

Sep 24 22 09:32 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

You could probably just use the "subtract" or the "difference" layer blending mode to make a mask.  Then, you would just add the masked layers in the desired order.

Sep 25 22 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

The Other Place wrote:
You could probably just use the "subtract" or the "difference" layer blending mode to make a mask.  Then, you would just add the masked layers in the desired order.

I don't currently have Photoshop, but do you know of a good YouTube video that explains addition, subtraction, and multiplication functions in layers? I am completely unfamiliar with them.

Sep 26 22 09:46 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
I don't currently have Photoshop, but do you know of a good YouTube video that explains addition, subtraction, and multiplication functions in layers? I am completely unfamiliar with them.

Paint Shop Pro has "difference" and "exclusion" blend modes.  Try those.

Also, you might consider switching to GIMP.  It's free and open source, and it works on Windows, Mac and Linux.  It's powerful with a lot of blending modes and other features, plus there are zillions of GIMP tutorials online.

In regards to a video that explains layer blending modes in Paint Shop Pro, here's one on YouTube.

Sep 26 22 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

The Other Place wrote:

Paint Shop Pro has "difference" and "exclusion" blend modes.  Try those.

Also, you might consider switching to GIMP.  It's free and open source, and it works on Windows, Mac and Linux.  It's powerful with a lot of blending modes and other features, plus there are zillions of GIMP tutorials online.

In regards to a video that explains layer blending modes in Paint Shop Pro, here's one on YouTube.

Thanks. I already have Gimp somewhere. It's not the most intuitive. I was going to check out PS prices again.

Sep 27 22 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

I already have Gimp somewhere. It's not the most intuitive. .

GIMP is just as "intuitive" as anything else -- you're just conditioned to what you already use.

Sep 27 22 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

The Other Place wrote:

GIMP is just as "intuitive" as anything else -- you're just conditioned to what you already use.

I was always told photoshop was well organized while gimp is kind of chaotic. It always seemed messy to me and I think it crashed a lot.

Sep 27 22 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

I was always told photoshop was well organized while gimp is kind of chaotic.

Don't believe everything that you're told.  The person who told you that likely was conditioned to Photoshop.

It always seemed messy to me

Messy?  In what way, exactly?  Again, you are conditioned to something else, so you would likely find it confusing.

... and I think it crashed a lot.

You "think" it crashed?  I know it doesn't crash -- it's always been rock solid for me.

Sep 27 22 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

What editing software do you have - AND USE?
You have certainly posted lots of technical questions. YouTube videos will be specific to particular software.

Sep 28 22 06:47 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Mark Salo wrote:
What editing software do you have - AND USE?

He says he uses Paint Shop Pro.

Sep 28 22 09:42 am Link

Photographer

skyart

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was always told photoshop was well organized while gimp is kind of chaotic. It always seemed messy to me and I think it crashed a lot.

I've always found Gimp to be more intuitive and Photoshop to be confusing, and it also crashes more. But I've also used Gimp more than photoshop. It's really just about getting familiar with each program.

Sep 28 22 06:18 pm Link