Forums > Photography Talk > Facial asymmetry.

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9394222 … %2Dhanders

Do most faces tend to have a larger left side? I am right handed and my left face is larger. When I watch TV it looks like most people have larger right sides but wasn't sure if TV cameras inverts images. Anyone know anything about face asymmetry?

Oct 20 22 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9394222 … %2Dhanders

Do most faces tend to have a larger left side? I am right handed and my left face is larger. When I watch TV it looks like most people have larger right sides but wasn't sure if TV cameras inverts images. Anyone know anything about face asymmetry?

If TV inverted images, then people would be appearing to wear their wedding rings and watches on their right hands.

Oct 20 22 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Mark Salo wrote:

If TV inverted images, then people would be appearing to wear their wedding rings and watches on their right hands.

I wear my watch on my right hand. In any event not really seeing below neck.

Oct 20 22 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

The standard TV image is not inverted. If it were, any clothing with written words would be flipped, including caps with logos.

A perfect symmetric face is rarer than we might think. Many models do have a nearly symmetric face, as we tend to view them as more attractive.

I was at a workshop where the instructor was talking about short lighting the "wider" side of a female face. The model he was demonstrating on appeared to my eyes as symmetric. He insisted she was not. With the models consent, we measured her face, temple to temple and the bridge of her nose. When I did it, she was nearly symmetric. When the instructor did it, he had her face a good inch off center! I just had to laugh.

Oct 21 22 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

An interesting question. I usually think that most people are quite balanced feature wise, but I have never gone so far as to measure. I wonder if others spend time pondering, as do I, just what makes a person pretty or handsome. I realize and am thankful that this is mostly a personal opinion. But there seems to be some nearly universal, with in a culture group, traits what make a face beautiful. I'm not interesting is starting a discussion of what does and does not, but rather where other photographer/artists ponder "Just what is it that makes her/him beautiful?"  Perhaps I have too much time on my hands and think too much.
Somewhere in the mix I suspect symmetry plays a part - for some, but not all!

Oct 21 22 05:57 pm Link