The Next Cliche

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

I hate 'em!!!

May 24 23 09:48 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

See this recent thread.

I have no problem with retouchers (or anyone else) DMing or posting MM availability notices.  However, I strongly object to the solicitation of work with "tags" that appear on the front page of one's profile.

May 24 23 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

The Other Place wrote:
See this recent thread.

I have no problem with retouchers (or anyone else) DMing or posting MM availability notices.  However, I strongly object to the solicitation of work with "tags" that appear on the front page of one's profile.

It's soo easy to delete "tags".

May 24 23 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Still, it's an annoying abrogation of my page-space and time. There are virtually never any other ads placed there by anyone besides retouchers, though models will get more regarding castings, etc. They are all a bit ugly and unnecessary.

May 24 23 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Modelphilia wrote:
Still, it's an annoying abrogation of my page-space and time. There are virtually never any other ads placed there by anyone besides retouchers, though models will get more regarding castings, etc. They are all a bit ugly and unnecessary.

I feel your pain.

May 24 23 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Rick Oldano Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Mark Salo wrote:

It is indeed easy to delete the annoying little buggers. I warn them specifically on my profile page but, they either don't bother reading or ignore.

I would offer another layer of road block for the retouchers: Block them!

I was being bombarded by one retoucher, who wouldn't take the hint, who obviously knew that I was deleting his tags. I deleted his last tag, wrote him that he was 86ed from my page and then blocked him.

Message sent, problem solved.

At least for the moment.

Rick

May 24 23 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Mark Salo wrote:

Not exactly.  Sometimes they linger for weeks after you "delete" them.  See this thread.

Furthermore, one might not catch tags right away, so anyone going to the profile page will see the "advertisement" before the tag is caught and finally deleted.

Tags the front page of someone else's profile should not be used to solicit work.

May 24 23 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I don’t think being a retoucher is the path to riches that most would think it is

May 25 23 05:59 am Link

Retoucher

Concierge Photo

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US

Wow! What a very kind and humane comment by The Next Cliche! A great demonstration of the Waiter Rule. 😢

I'm certain there are many Retouchers who don't conduct themselves properly just as I'm certain there are Photographers, Models, MUAs, and others who do as well. I'm not condoning disrespectful approaches, but they are still humans who are trying to gain experience and earn some income. And in agreement with Studio NSFW, it is NOT a path to riches!

It would be nice if more respect and true human empathy were expressed by more, but it seems that the darker natures of humanity come out especially when directed at people you despise.

The Next Cliche and anyone else is free to preemptively block me, but it won't matter since I don't operate as a telemarketer. I respond to castings and don't complain when I don't receive a reply.

May 26 23 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

The Next Cliche

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

I am referring specifically to those who tag one's home page for the sole purpose of promoting themselves - currently the 5 most recent tags on my landing pages are from retouchers doing exactly that.. If you do not engage in this practice, please accept my apologies.

May 26 23 06:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Concierge Photo

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US

Well, I will certainly promise myself not to do that! Agreed that it's obnoxious, poor behavior, and certainly not a great way to make a good connection. I do get your point and frustration, but I guess it's the dad in me that wants to encourage people to not "hate" anyone...probably a little too idealistic as well!

Jun 01 23 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Concierge Photo.  While many retouchers aren't a problem and others are a minor inconvenience, you might not be aware of how extreme some are.

After repeatedly removing one (rather notorious for non-stop repeating spam tags) Finnish retoucher (many will have no trouble guessing who that is), he now repeatedly bombards me with "Friend Requests" so that he can spam me by email instead.

I am NOT talking about the odd request.  I'm talking about over a dozen requests over the last couple of weeks, ALL DENIED.  And almost immediately replaced with a brand new Friend Request.  He might even be automating it, who knows.

This morning I finally got absolutely fed up and left HIM a tag saying that he'd sent me over a dozen friend requests over the last few weeks, which had all been denied, and telling him to JUST STOP IT.

Right after I (AGAIN) denied his friend request, he read the tag asking him to stop, and immediately sent me YET ANOTHER friend request (denied, of course).   That is full on, deliberate HARRASMENT.

So, Concierge Photo, while I very much appreciate the approach you take, that gives you an idea of why some retouchers are generating such strong reactions.   Although, personally, I suspect that one in particular is causing so much of the trouble that he should be permanently banned from the site.

But that's just my opinion.

Jun 01 23 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

JohnTozziPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

The Other Place wrote:
See this recent thread.

AMEN!

Those tags tick me off. I admit, I remove them then I block the person.

Jun 02 23 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Bluestill Photography

Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

Compared to the amount of junk mail and ads stuffed in both my home mailbox and my email accounts, the amount of TAGs I get from retouchers is nothing. I guess I am not so annoyed to the point that I would use the word HATE. I even go so far as to reply to messages I get from retouchers wanting me to use their services. Which would you rather be bothered with? Retoucher tags, or a swarm of vicious-biting mosquitoes during a beach shoot :-)

Jun 05 23 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Bluestill Photography

Concierge Photo wrote:
I'm certain there are many Retouchers who don't conduct themselves properly just as I'm certain there are Photographers, Models, MUAs, and others who do as well. I'm not condoning disrespectful approaches, but they are still humans who are trying to gain experience and earn some income. And in agreement with Studio NSFW, it is NOT a path to riches!

It would be nice if more respect and true human empathy were expressed by more, but it seems that the darker natures of humanity come out especially when directed at people you despise.

The Next Cliche and anyone else is free to preemptively block me, but it won't matter since I don't operate as a telemarketer. I respond to castings and don't complain when I don't receive a reply.

Very well stated. Retouchers have to grind just as hard as everyone else in this industry. Unsolicited advertising is a part of the norm nowadays.

Jun 05 23 05:34 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Bluestill Photography wrote:
Compared to the amount of junk mail and ads stuffed in both my home mailbox and my email accounts, the amount of TAGs I get from retouchers is nothing.

Okay, but don't assume that your experience is the same as others.

Furthermore, as we have discussed, tags appear on the front page of one's profile, and many of us do not want ads nor solicitations from others on our profile page.

Additionally, one must constantly monitor one's profile to catch unwanted tags -- there is no notification that one has a new tag(s), as there is with a DM.

Also, unwanted tags are sometimes difficult to delete, often taking days (sometimes weeks) to finally clear.

Retouchers have to grind just as hard as everyone else in this industry. Unsolicited advertising is a part of the norm nowadays.

Fine... as long as they don't post their ads as tags on the front page of my profile.

Folks who seek work on MM should use the features on this site expressly designed for such unsolicited queries, such as casting calls, availability notices and DM's -- DON'T ADVERTISE WITH TAGS!

Jun 05 23 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Bluestill Photography

The Other Place wrote:

Okay, but don't assume that your experience is the same as others

I am not making any assumptions, and merely stating facts. Regardless to how much I don't want junk mail in my inbox, mailbox or any site I am affiliated with, it happens. I am just saying that I don't get frustrated about the things I cannot control. I browse through MM to keep in touch with a few old friends I have made here since joining back in 2008. This site has seen better days for sure. We all have different experiences. I still like to browse the topics to read what other photographers are thinking or doing these days, not to rain on anyone's parade. Not even retouchers. It sounds like the amount of time it takes to get rid of an unsolicited TAG may just be easier to respond with a "thank you",  "no thanks", Enjoy or response at all, rather than trying to get rid of it. I don't know, I have never tried it  :-)

Jun 12 23 02:54 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

I am not making any assumptions, and merely stating facts.

You may be stating facts about your own personal experience, but not about the experience of others.

Regardless to how much I don't want junk mail in my inbox, mailbox or any site I am affiliated with, it happens.

Suffering solicitations in profile tags doesn't have to "happen."  There are simple solutions to the problem.

Progress does not come from just accepting a problem while urging others to also just accept the problem.  Sometimes progress happens when one points out the problem so that action can be taken to correct it.

I am just saying that I don't get frustrated about the things I cannot control.

Who says we can't control whether or not selfish, thoughtless MM users post their ads on the front page of our profiles?

Also, we are not frustrated -- we are annoyed.

I browse through MM to keep in touch with a few old friends I have made here since joining back in 2008. This site has seen better days for sure. We all have different experiences. I still like to browse the topics to read what other photographers are thinking or doing these days, not to rain on anyone's parade.

I'm not really interested in hearing someone's life story.

However, those who post ads as tags on the front page of others profiles are "raining on the parade" of those other users.

Not even retouchers.

Whether one is a retoucher, photographer, model, MUA or an inside straight, DON'T POST ADS AS TAGS ON OTHERS' PROFILES!

Instead, use the functions on MM that are expressly designed for such solicitations and ads.

Tags are for compliments and acknowledgements.

It sounds like the amount of time it takes to get rid of an unsolicited TAG may just be easier to respond with a "thank you",  "no thanks", Enjoy or response at all, rather than trying to get rid of it. I don't know, I have never tried it  :-)

It seems that you are commenting on something of which you have zero knowledge.

Jun 12 23 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

The Other Place wrote:
I strongly object to the solicitation of work with "tags" that appear on the front page of one's profile.

Recently I've been getting tags on the back page of my profile.

The Other Place wrote:
Also, unwanted tags are sometimes difficult to delete, often taking days (sometimes weeks) to finally clear.

I wonder if I can tag my own page. Will that knock off the other tags that I have deleted?

Jun 12 23 08:52 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Mark Salo wrote:
Recently I've been getting tags on the back page of my profile.

Ha, ha!

I emphasize "front page" because those in this thread who are ignorant of the problem seem to equate tags on one's front page with DMs that nobody sees except for the recipient.

Mark Salo wrote:
I wonder if I can tag my own page. Will that knock off the other tags that I have deleted?

If so, that would certainly be great!

Jun 12 23 09:25 am Link