Forums > General Industry > Photographer publishing: paid vs vanity

Photographer

StudioRadu

Portland, Oregon, US

Hey all, haven't been active on here much lately, and in general come to think of it. Over the years I've always just shot with friends and acquaintances, focusing on the art of it and the fun of shooting. And its been great, good photos, lots of happiness all around. Lately I've been wanting to dive deeper so I started looking more actively into publishing... and I couldn't really find any. Everything I could find seems to be vanity publications, where you do it 'for the exposure' or actually pay to be featured. Every photographer I was following, who was posting getting published, I'd look up the magazine submission process and yea.. unpaid, you get a link to your published work. Way back in the day a company came to my school and commissioned poems, then you paid to buy the book, and you were 'published'.. and when I realized what had happened I just felt bad. It doesn't feel like something I, personally, would be proud of. Its not about the money (though would like to be able to kick back more to models, and would love to afford / excuse spending for better sets) but money's kind of a source of 'truth' for me with this stuff (praise is easy until someone has to open up their wallet for it, then they get real).

So... how do photographers these days find paid-publishing companies these days to submit to? (for artistic or boudoir or such). Are there sites, agents..? Or is it pretty much 'create an OF / Patreon' free-for-all and go straight to the audience? Do folk just make their own publications / websites and get them linked from somewhere?

Or am I overthinking this and vanity publications have become the norm / you get as much street-cred from saying 'I was published' in them as for regular publications?

Aug 26 23 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

I think those days are gone forever. When photographers, even here, post their work for all to see, why pay to see it.
Yea, I'm published, but not for glamour stuff. It's hobby mags, model rail road, dollhouse, model aircraft. Garden Railways paid $180 for a feature artical. Not too bad for a few hours work.

What little glam I shoot is often for wives who want to keep hubby's interest. Once in a while I'll book somebody to try out something just a little different. Keep it fresh.

Aug 27 23 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

StudioRadu wrote:
Hey all, haven't been active on here much lately, and in general come to think of it. Over the years I've always just shot with friends and acquaintances, focusing on the art of it and the fun of shooting. And its been great, good photos, lots of happiness all around. Lately I've been wanting to dive deeper so I started looking more actively into publishing... and I couldn't really find any. Everything I could find seems to be vanity publications, where you do it 'for the exposure' or actually pay to be featured.

That's not entirely true. The issue is a lot of people think their work is way better than it actually is. Most legitimate publications have their in-house staff shoot things for them so they know it's consistent or they use the same contractors over and over again. My business partner used to shoot covers for years for the largest local magazine in Las Vegas (Las Vegas Weekly). He got paid but the pay wasn't huge and the work required more and more complexity so he eventually started turning them down. While the "exposure" didn't pay off, documenting that he has experience working with a major magazine and shooting high-end covers did, and so he would frequently get other work because he proved he had the chops. It's no different than shooting for sports teams. Most people don't realize that NFL and other major pro sports teams don't pay crap to their staff photographers. I know a few for a few different pro teams. They usually have a 4-5 hour commitment per game and they get paid $100. That's it. But their resume says "Official staff photographer for the Las Vegas Raiders" and that gets them plenty of work.

Every photographer I was following, who was posting getting published, I'd look up the magazine submission process and yea.. unpaid, you get a link to your published work.

The business model behind all of this has changed, and there are still some magazines that do pay for photos. Albeit, not much, but I've been paid several times by Nevada Magazine for photo submissions they wind up publishing. You get on their mailing list and every quarter they send out a list of photos they want for upcoming publications. I'd read through the list, setup a shoot, and submit photos. Almost every time my work was accepted and I was paid. They are out there, you just have to look for them and your work has to be really, really solid.

Way back in the day a company came to my school and commissioned poems, then you paid to buy the book, and you were 'published'.. and when I realized what had happened I just felt bad. It doesn't feel like something I, personally, would be proud of.

The other trend to this though are all the people who say "I just got published in XYZ Magazine!!!!!" and it's really a Magcloud rag  where 47 people bought the "magazine", 38 of which were the people who were in it or their friends and family. In my mind, that's not being published.

So... how do photographers these days find paid-publishing companies these days to submit to? (for artistic or boudoir or such). Are there sites, agents..? Or is it pretty much 'create an OF / Patreon' free-for-all and go straight to the audience?

I don't know why people seem to think there is still a market for this. There isn't. So yes, OF is your new market. Trying to find some magazine out there who's going to buy your boudoir photos is like trying to sell your box of buggy whips.

Or am I overthinking this and vanity publications have become the norm / you get as much street-cred from saying 'I was published' in them as for regular publications?

Or you just find new ways of doing things. You have to adapt or die. The old way of thinking in this industry doesn't apply anymore. It just doesn't.

Aug 30 23 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Go to a magazine stand (if you can find one) and look for printed, published, magazines that you would like to shoot for.

Look up their masthead and find out the name of the art director and in many cases you'll find an email address for submissions.

You should have an online portfolio that you can point them to in your initial contact message.

Be persistent . . . keep trying until they hire you.

Aug 30 23 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

StudioRadu

Portland, Oregon, US

G Reese wrote:
I think those days are gone forever. ... What little glam I shoot is often for wives who want to keep hubby's interest. Once in a while I'll book somebody to try out something just a little different. Keep it fresh.

That makes sense - I've done a couple of shoots like that, and some family gathering / prom stuff, but was hoping.. well. It is what it is. Thank you!

Shot By Adam wrote:
That's not entirely true. The issue is a lot of people think their work is way better than it actually is. Most legitimate publications have their in-house staff shoot things for them so they know it's consistent or they use the same contractors over and over again. ... there are still some magazines that do pay for photos. Albeit, not much, ... You get on their mailing list and every quarter they send out a list of photos they want for upcoming publications. I'd read through the list, setup a shoot, and submit photos. ... find new ways of doing things. You have to adapt or die. The old way of thinking in this industry doesn't apply anymore. It just doesn't

Totally agree on the adaptation, just asking 'cause having a tricky time figuring out the landscape for adapting into. So in your opinion is this one of those things where 'if you're in, you're in'? If so, for those who didn't get in early is there still a path 'in' beyond knowing-somebody / a way for the industry to keep pulling in new-blood and refreshing the talent pool? Like a way to get on the mailing lists you mentioned? Are there some publications that don't pay that are still selective enough that contractors can get spotted in them? Or is the new way just self-publishing and portfolios for 1:1 personal shoots?

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Go to a magazine stand (if you can find one) and look for printed, published, magazines that you would like to shoot for. Look up their masthead and find out the name of the art director and in many cases you'll find an email address for submissions.
You should have an online portfolio that you can point them to in your initial contact message. Be persistent . . . keep trying until they hire you.

Interesting - so its still ok to cold-call (well, -email) as such? And that's not to get sets accepted I'm guessing, is it more for being considered to get on lists of 'here's what we're gonna want, if you want to submit for this'? Is there a proper form / protocol for these kind of cold-calls?

Aug 30 23 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Most legitimate publications have their in-house staff shoot things for them so they know it's consistent or they use the same contractors over and over again.

I don't know if this is a commonly believed myth, but it is incorrect.

Even in the heyday of magazines relatively few magazines held an in-house staff of photographers. Some had contractors who frequently contributed, but most national, regional and trade publications hired freelancers for individual shoots/projects. When a freelancer successfully completed a number of assignments for a particular publication they might be considered a contributing photographer, but that is by far not the same thing as a staff photographers. Sure there were exceptions, but if you want to make the argument that because 10% of magazines had in-house or staff photographers and ignore the 90% as who didn't confirming the myth, I guess, go for it.

regarding the actual topic of the thread...  If you are looking at vanity publications like those listed on Kavyar.com, there are no paid assignments. Further, there are opportunities to pay for placement and inconsistent quality of published photos.  Somewhere in-between there are publications that do have a rejection rate and are more curated than others. They are not to be confused with traditionally distributed magazines, but I don't believe they are pretending to be.

What I have seen are covers and fashion layouts appearing in agency models' portfolios and agency websites. To me, that indicated there is some promotional or exposure value. At a granular level, it is an opportunity for a photographer who has a quality concept or resource to find/book better models predicated on vanity magazine submission. Some photographers understand the value of this, however, many don't.

(disclosure: I have submitted and been published 40+ layouts including covers in 10 different vanity publications in the last few years)

Aug 31 23 04:59 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Go to a magazine stand (if you can find one) and look for printed, published, magazines that you would like to shoot for.

Look up their masthead and find out the name of the art director and in many cases you'll find an email address for submissions.

You should have an online portfolio that you can point them to in your initial contact message.

Be persistent . . . keep trying until they hire you.

Not sure what you are talking about, but the lion's share of traditional/legacy magazines didn't encourage or accept submission. Most magazines are working one or two issues ahead of the newsstand display. It would be more like utter chance that a photographer submitted a set of photos than happened to be on point to what they magazine is working on for future issues.

Fashion magazines are a good example. Because of the necessary lead time, unless a photographer has the same level of access to NEXT season's fashion samples, anything they submit will instantly be dated. Music is another genre of magazines that were once popular. Again, unless an individual photographer has the same insider access to music/artists that have not yet been dropped or become popular, they are generally an issue or two behind the resources and publicity leads that a magazine has. Possibly you are assuming that the very narrow genre of adult publications were indicative of the breadth of the magazine market. It isn't.

The legacy methodology for interfacing with magazines was to contact photo editors or art directors to show portfolios and possibly pitch an idea for a future project with their participation. Submitting completed shoots, apart from the small group of adult publications, is not a recipe for success.

Aug 31 23 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

What if I think both Dan and Ken, two of the most serious artists still bothering with this place, are both right….in a way.

It boils down to understanding the target market and industry of a publication (laying aside the PoD vanity publishers)…and knowing how the art direction/editorial workflow for that magazine operates. Yes, adult magazines will buy completed sets….but you need to get them in front of the Art director, who already has colleagues and friends they are working with….

Fashion- I’ve not worked in that industry, but what Dan says makes sense.

What I DO know, for the custom vehicle magazine industry (like Peterson publishing and the old Paisano Publishing), is that they buy *stories* , not images or image sets….and stories come from editors and contributing writers.   So, if you cannot write at the 7th grade level and come up with usable copy, reach out to editors and contributing writers for possible work.  If you CAN write copy…submit not just pictures, but copy around a typical article length for that magazine of a similar editorial style as what is in their magazine  with pictures and you have greatly increased your chance at publication and further work…at least that is how I started getting published.  Yeah, I was also an “Industry Insider” with incredible access and a lot of contacts, and I was writing copy often for press releases, etc, so I knew who to reach out to with my first feature story.  It sold to Easyriders, I got 5 pages and the ball started rolling.   When Penthouse needed a motorcycle feature shot, they actually got referred to me by the bike owner based on how often my stuff was appearing in motorcycle rags - I never submitted anything to them at all for consideration first because they weren’t my targeted industry. 

The first one was the hardest, and it got easier and easier. An editor has to fill x pages every month on a deadline.  If you can reliably fill several of those pages, you’ll get published, and nothing succeeds as well as success.

I worked in vehicles, but I cannot imagine Food mags or Architectural or Guns mags or whatever is much different.  Pages must be filled, with words and pictures.  There are already people doing that.  The editor may be receptive to finding more or different people to help do that.  You want to be that people,   If you cannot write, partner with a writer….hell, even if you CAN, partner with a writer for the networking to the editors and art directors that are staring at a 4 month calendar and figuring out what features are going to fill those pages.

So,Ken’s advice to get a copy of magazines in your target industry, read the masthead, and cold call if you cannot figure out a referral angle rings true, but I’d add…editors (particularly) and contributing writers (less so) are valid contact points.

Aug 31 23 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dan Howell wrote:

I don't know if this is a commonly believed myth, but it is incorrect.

Even in the heyday of magazines relatively few magazines held an in-house staff of photographers. Some had contractors who frequently contributed, but most national, regional and trade publications hired freelancers for individual shoots/projects. When a freelancer successfully completed a number of assignments for a particular publication they might be considered a contributing photographer, but that is by far not the same thing as a staff photographers.

My point being is that they go to the same people over and over again instead of constantly fishing for new photographers or use only outside contributions. Yes, it's true that they may not have photographers on a salary like a news station does but the point is still the same.

Aug 31 23 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Real publications, do not seek input from unknown photographers. They select photographers based on their accomplishments being already proven. While I have never sent work to glamour publications, for sale, I have sent photos for models, trying to get into those publications. They have a process for that, if you simply check the publications. One of my models did make it into such a publication, but of course they required her to do more than I did.

Most real commercial work, is gotten by proving you can do the work, and selling your services to the potential clients. Some of that will become referral work, as you get and do work, for clients, and the rest is still reaching out to potential clients. Working directly for publications, amounts to being a photo journalist. Usually you are a staff member, or you are a free lancer who is contacted for an assignment, because the staffer is already busy, or the free lancer is in the general location of the assignment. That may have nothing to do with glamour, however. There are only so many glamour publications that actually publish magazines anymore. Glamour work is predominantly done in CA, and the majority of the on line sites are based there. Some are in other major cities, like Chicago and NYC.

Other commercial work is what really drives commercial photographers, with product, manufacturing, architectural, tech, and more, as the types of work most commercial photographers do. Fashion is the main part of people work, that commercial photographers do, but only the top photographers in that field work for the top designers. A large part of fashion work is smaller companies, and retailers, shooting with a wide variety of photographers from various parts of the country. A lot of that, is catalog work, which was the majority of the fashion work I did. I did catalog work for pageant gowns, bridal gowns, suits, sweaters, lingerie, etc. I also did jewelry, and accessories. You have to make contacts with the companies or their ad agencies, to get into that type of work. Your portfolio has to show that type of work, when making calls on such clients. You can either make multiple portfolios, tailored to different kinds of clients, or you can tailor your portfolio towards each type of client, by changing pages, within the portfolio.

Photography as a business, has always been a tough business, and there are a very few, large photography operations across the country. There are plenty of really good, really competent commercial photographers, but they come and go, over time, as most are smaller operations. Larger studios usually do larger products..........like furniture and cars. There are some specialties.........like food photographers, and architectural photographers, but for the most part, commercial photographers tend to do a mixed bag of work.

In any case, that's how things work, in the commercial arena.

Rick

Sep 12 23 08:13 am Link