Forums > General Industry > Fairly Accessible UK Castle Ruins Shoot Nude in

Photographer

Stolen Moments

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I am visiting a Nude model who just moved to UK, she doesn't know the area yet (she lives in The Lake District) and I am here for another week and a half. We are hoping to rent a car, but want a proper destination or few in mind before we do. We both read there are thousands of castle ruins in UK, between here and Scotland etc. We know most of them may be difficult hikes, or in use for shops and viewing...and perhaps the remaining ruins will be kept secret by territorial photographers. But, I am hoping someone with the generosity and the know-how could point us in the direction of 1-3 ruins we could shoot Fine Art Nude portraiture at, which are fairly accessible but not in use by tourists.

There are no trespassing laws in UK which helps - but I have recently read stories of Model/Photographers being sued for doing work near/in castles, so it's best to have some recommendations rather than going in blind. 

I am also posting on PurplePort which is the UK site.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 15 23 06:21 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I can't give you specific advice as I'm not familiar with the Castles in that particular area.

But, just in case you don't get some specific info (from PurplePort), I have some general suggestions:

Start by googling "uk castles in the lake district" and check out the google "Image" page.  There appear to be LOTS in the results (although I haven't checked if they're all actually in that area).  From the images, you can see which ones appear to be more run down "shells", etc, and get a taste of what they look like.  From there you can look for more information on that specific castle and hopefully find more photos giving you a better idea of the surrounding territory (obscure or heavily populated, etc).  Google maps (satellite images?) may also help with that.   It may also help you find multiple possibilities within one area.

I've also done a lot of seemingly "very public" NSFW location shoots.  I would strongly suggest, if at all possible, carefully scouting the location in advance.   I look for locations where the background view is great BUT the actual shoot spot is sheltered, or obscured in some way, from onlookers.  If others can easily see it from behind, for example, then using a costume "cloak" (open from the front), or equivalent, may be useful.  Either way, you'll want some sort of a "quick coverup" that can easily be hidden (behind the model?), if required.

In other locations, I bring along someone as a "spotter".  Someone whose job it is to look out for people coming and give everyone advance warning.  For more complicated shot setups, I've had a great spotter who was also quick on his feet about asking people for "directions", or something like that, to distract them for a little while (to buy us time) after alerting us.

Choosing to shoot at obscure times, when there are likely far fewer people around, can also help.

If you're worried about being sued (private property?) over the view in the background, use a "section" of the castle as a background.  Something that gives the "castle" idea, without it being too specific as to exactly which one.

Anyway, just in case any of this proves to be useful.  And I hope you get some great shots!

Sep 16 23 11:40 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

A lot a castles in the UK are managed by the National Trust, which is a stuffy conservative organisation, they take a negative attitude to nude photography but they have no real authority, they can't arrest you. Finding a castle you like the look of is the obvious first step.

Sep 28 23 08:27 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

The most impressive castle I've personally seen is Bamburgh in Northumberland, the collection of antique weaponry housed within the building is also worth seeing.

This castle is privately owned and open to the public as a museum, I don't know what their policies are regarding nude photography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamburgh_Castle

Oct 09 23 02:17 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I have no knowledge of any location , however there seems to be quite a bit of information regarding medieval castle ruins in google. https://xyuandbeyond.com/abandoned-castles-in-england/ for just one site listing so you won't have to worry about visiting anything that is privately owned being operated as a museum and open to the public which is totally what you didn't ask for in the first place.

Oct 10 23 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

In part your choice depends on whether you want a ruined castle or one in good condition. Bamburgh was fully restored in the 19th century and is in mint condition. Even from a distance it's impressive in it's cliff setting, perhaps more so than from inside.

Oct 11 23 03:55 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Stolen Moments wrote:
We both read there are thousands of castle ruins in UK, between here and Scotland etc. We know most of them may be difficult hikes, or in use for shops and viewing...and perhaps the remaining ruins will be kept secret by territorial photographers. But, I am hoping someone with the generosity and the know-how could point us in the direction of 1-3 ruins we could shoot Fine Art Nude portraiture at, which are fairly accessible but not in use by tourists.

JSouthworth wrote:
In part your choice depends on whether you want a ruined castle or one in good condition.

No, it doesn't depend on what you want, and no one asked for your opinion on Bamburgh Castle. A castle that clearly is not what the OP is looking for.Sometimes it helps to read the post before just making off topic stuff up.

Oct 11 23 04:45 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

As a professional model that has shot in a million different abandoned places/ruins whatever, you HAVE to scout these places (regardless of what/where they are beforehand.) When I was in England and Scotland, you could throw a rock and find these places. Some secluded, some wide open. Here in the States, if you were to get caught by park rangers/cops whatever - EVEN THOUGH IN MOST PLACES IT IS LEGAL TO BE TOPLESS- you can still get hit with a fine, disturbance, or worse being put on a sex offender list. So do your homework.

Oct 11 23 10:04 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Model Sarah wrote:
As a professional model that has shot in a million different abandoned places/ruins whatever, you HAVE to scout these places (regardless of what/where they are beforehand.) When I was in England and Scotland, you could throw a rock and find these places. Some secluded, some wide open. Here in the States, if you were to get caught by park rangers/cops whatever - EVEN THOUGH IN MOST PLACES IT IS LEGAL TO BE TOPLESS- you can still get hit with a fine, disturbance, or worse being put on a sex offender list. So do your homework.

A lot of historical sites in the UK are administered by the National Trust who have no real authority, but who will try to give you are a hard time if you do anything on their property without their permission. If you do ask for their permission, they'll refuse it, so hit and run tactics may be necessary.

In the UK women generally risk being arrested if they go topless or nude anywhere outside of a naturist reserve. There are occasional exceptions to this.

Oct 12 23 03:16 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

JSouthworth wrote:

A lot of historical sites in the UK are administered by the National Trust who have no real authority, but who will try to give you are a hard time if you do anything on their property without their permission. If you do ask for their permission, they'll refuse it, so hit and run tactics may be necessary.

In the UK women generally risk being arrested if they go topless or nude anywhere outside of a naturist reserve. There are occasional exceptions to this.

Here it is just police/rangers/guardsmen using "authority" on you assuming the worst. Which, to be fair, in abandoned buildings there are a lot of thieves looking for copper. Ideally authority figures just don't want anyone to get hurt doing this but come on. The new version of that is catalytic converters.

In NYC cops will almost take a picture with you if they catch me doing my job. Unfortunately the rest of the country isn't like that. I have gotten away with this for 20 years. Best to take the shot and leave quickly.

Oct 12 23 05:55 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

JSouthworth wrote:

This is not true at all in England and Wales - arrests are exceedingly rare.

Whilst it would be unwise to model topless or nude in places children are likely to congregate, simple female nudity is generally tolerated and is certainly not illegal in itself. In the rare instances that problems arise, they're usually because of a deliberate intent to outrage public decency (indecent exposure of genitals, masturbation) or a persistent failure to comply with a police instruction.

Scotland might be slightly less tolerant.

Oct 15 23 12:49 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

In the UK, a person who exposes their genitals with the intention of causing offence to others commits the criminal offence of exposure. But in addition to that, public nudity can be regarded as an offence of outraging public decency or causing a public nuisance. In practice the application of these laws varies widely from one place to another and is largely dependant on their interpretation by individual police officers.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/n … s-naturism

Oct 15 23 04:55 am Link