Forums > General Industry > Paying a model: Hourly versus Flat Rate

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

Sep 17 23 11:25 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

A lot of that article looks like wishful thinking to me. In the real world, models require payment for their time and travel expenses, and there is always a demand for new models from the fashion industry. Generally, the younger and more innocent they look, the higher the premium they can command.

Sep 28 23 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

DeanLautermilch wrote:
https://deanlautermilch.com/paying-a-mo … flat-rate/

You know...that is not the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  But it's close.

I will bet that I can shoot 5x faster than you at the same quality level. You method means that I pay more for ultimately the same amount of value derived from a shoot. And what yardstick are you measuring whether an outfit has been shot. If she puts a hat on, do you pay an extra $15. Do you not see how silly your paradigm is?

The problem seems to be that you can not direct the flow of a shoot, at least at the level of control that you feel that you will be taken advantage of. It is incumbent on the photographer to manage the flow and work efficiently. It is also the chance you take.

In the fashion world we do both hourly bookings and by day or half-day. It is always on us to get what we need done in the scheduled time or we pay overtime. You might find some models who will take you up on your scheme, but if a model asked me for advice I would tell them to stick to hourly.

Sep 28 23 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I find the traveling models you seem to be referring to are very time efficient.  They enjoy modeling and know reputation matters.   They aren’t going to waste shoot time. 

I find wasted shoot time is more of an issue with newer, local, part time models (due to inexperience, not purposely wasting time) but their rates reflect this and they typically just aren’t as by the clock.    If it’s taken them a while to get into the shoot, they are typically willing to go a little over in time to compensate.   These models have typically been great to work with as well, the issue for me is more about cancellation or no-shows with these models. 

For me, models wasting shoot time simply hasn’t been an issue.

Sep 28 23 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Los Angeles, California, US

I offer an hourly rate to models, most accept it because its a good enough rate and they don't want to spend time haggling in their DMs all day or across several days

Its similar to the counteroffer you presented, where everything is just priced in a different scale that you prefer, but its my initial offer

"The budget for this job is $X or $Y/hr"

Learn where the market really is, and price there.

Models wasting shoot time is also something you can weed out by talking with people she worked with before. Taking a long time to adjust makeup in the middle of a shoot is something that would annoy a lot of people. Book models that people like, and save them time in how they book. It is riskier to book just another pretty face.

Sep 30 23 08:29 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I’m not understanding why the OP even wrote this at all. Both the OPs MM and website plainly state he’s looking for TFP only. The Ops website even details the reasons why.

Sep 30 23 10:43 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

JQuest wrote:
I’m not understanding why the OP even wrote this at all. Both the OPs MM and website plainly state he’s looking for TFP only. The Ops website even details the reasons why.

He is pretty clearly jaded that he doesn't understand you get what you pay for. He is living 20+ years ago. This just isn't a thing. I KINDA get his logic, but it just is not reality.

Oct 03 23 06:06 am Link