login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Las Vegas Photography community. Search   Reply
first251252253254255last
guide forum
Model
Sha-Lynne
Posts: 22,681
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


SayCheeZ!  wrote:

R2K has been out of business for quite awhile.
It's now a fitness gym.

Photobangbang:  Low rates, accomodating management
http://www.photobangbang.com

Vegas Vision Studio, sponsors several meetup.com groups:
http://www.vegasvisionstudios.com/

Ace Studio can be rented 24/7
http://www.acephotographystudiorental.c … tudio.html

Skin City:  Low rates but studio is small
http://skincitybodypainting.com/blog/st … -district/

bCreative:
http://lasvegasstudiorental.com/

Fairly large studio with fairly low rates, student discounts available:
http://vegasphotostudiorentals.com/

--------------------------------------------------------
Kevin C's list of Outdoor Locations around LV
http://vegasphotostudiorentals.com/

I wondered why Roxie hadn't thrown any parties lately.  That's sad  sad

Jan 01 13 10:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Sha-Lynne wrote:
I wondered why Roxie hadn't thrown any parties lately.  That's sad  sad

Several months ago I booked a shoot in there and when I was setting up my lights I was told that there would be a $1/foot charge to use their white seamless paper over and above the newly raised rental rates for the studio. That was the last time I ever shot in there and was hardly surprised when I heard she was going out of business a few weeks later.

Jan 01 13 11:49 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Sha-Lynne
Posts: 22,681
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Shot By Adam wrote:

Several months ago I booked a shoot in there and when I was setting up my lights I was told that there would be a $1/foot charge to use their white seamless paper over and above the newly raised rental rates for the studio. That was the last time I ever shot in there and was hardly surprised when I heard she was going out of business a few weeks later.

I knew she was struggling, just didn't think...

Jan 02 13 01:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Rieger
Posts: 137
Kansas City, Missouri, US


Thank you !
Jan 02 13 04:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SayCheeZ!
Posts: 17,889
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Shot By Adam wrote:
Several months ago I booked a shoot in there and when I was setting up my lights I was told that there would be a $1/foot charge to use their white seamless paper over and above the newly raised rental rates for the studio.

$1/ft is very reasonable.
I think you made a typo, if I remember correctly there were complaints that the fee was $10/ft which would be very high.

Jan 02 13 09:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


SayCheeZ!  wrote:

$1/ft is very reasonable.
I think you made a typo, if I remember correctly there were complaints that the fee was $10/ft which would be very high.

Nothing/ft is reasonable. When I'm paying for studio time, I'm not paying an extra fee for use of paper. I think you're right though. I'd have to go through my old posts on the matter but it could have been 10 bucks a foot. Whatever it was, the writing on the wall for them couldn't have been more obvious. Just one more defunct studio in Vegas to add to the very long list of them.

Jan 03 13 12:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SayCheeZ!
Posts: 17,889
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Yeah, it was $10/ft
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?threa … st16500830


PhotoBangBang charges something like $2/ft, but it's only for the amount of seamless that actually gets dirtied up.   They'll also allow people to bring their own seamless if they wish, but (to me) $2/ft is very reasonable.  It would probably cost much more to buy a roll and schlep it around.

The studio rental rate is pretty low (hopefully Curtis won't see this and decide to raise the prices), so even with having to pay for the paper it's still a good deal.
Jan 03 13 12:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Yeah, it was $10/ft
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?threa … st16500830


PhotoBangBang charges something like $2/ft, but it's only for the amount of seamless that actually gets dirtied up.   They'll also allow people to bring their own seamless if they wish, but (to me) $2/ft is very reasonable.  It would probably cost much more to buy a roll and schlep it around.

The studio rental rate is pretty low (hopefully Curtis won't see this and decide to raise the prices), so even with having to pay for the paper it's still a good deal.

I don't really mind paying for paper if the rental rate is low. I understand that if they didn't charge for it people would just trash the rolls, but when the rental rate is sky high, then it's a bit uncool.

Jan 03 13 01:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Hillburn
Posts: 2,436
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Did anyone see this on the news tonight?
http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/20499115 … ornography
Jan 04 13 12:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Brian Hillburn wrote:
Did anyone see this on the news tonight?
http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/20499115 … ornography

Lovely. I've never heard of the guy but he's about 5 minutes away from me out in the NW. Pretty wild if it's true.

Jan 04 13 01:12 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Sha-Lynne
Posts: 22,681
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Brian Hillburn wrote:
Did anyone see this on the news tonight?
http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/20499115 … ornography

...wow.  I wonder how young they mean by "child".  If it's truly a kid, I wonder where the crap the parents were.

Jan 04 13 03:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Hillburn
Posts: 2,436
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I just got home in the last hour from work and found an interesting email offer. Apparently Dennis Hof is opening or has opened another Cathouse here in Nevada. I was invited to drive 85 miles to shoot 9 girls for free. But if Dennis liked my work, he was likely to start paying me to shoot his ladies on a regular basis. Did anyone else get the same email offer?
Jan 08 13 07:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Brian Hillburn wrote:
I just got home in the last hour from work and found an interesting email offer. Apparently Dennis Hof is opening or has opened another Cathouse here in Nevada. I was invited to drive 85 miles to shoot 9 girls for free. But if Dennis liked my work, he was likely to start paying me to shoot his ladies on a regular basis. Did anyone else get the same email offer?

I got it too but I know Dennis a little as I used to do some work with Sunset Thomas A few years ago. Trust me when I say that he's a real piece of work. I'm avoiding this little "opportunity"  of his like the plague.

The way I see it, if they liked my work enough to email me they like it enough to pay me. Anything short of that means they are looking to take advantage of you and then go look for another sucker.

Jan 08 13 08:18 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,572
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I think the problem with local studios is they dont build rentals into their business plans right... Studios in MUCH bigger markets can offer great spaces for $20/hr... Vegas can't because they dont see rentals as a side thing to do while booking commercial work... Its something they have to factor in INSTEAD of commercial work. Build a place with a 15x20 "studio B" and you can book that solid at $20/hr and not have to lose out on commercial work... Make money while making money.
Jan 08 13 10:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Hillburn
Posts: 2,436
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Shot By Adam wrote:

I got it too but I know Dennis a little as I used to do some work with Sunset Thomas A few years ago. Trust me when I say that he's a real piece of work. I'm avoiding this little "opportunity"  of his like the plague.

The way I see it, if they liked my work enough to email me they like it enough to pay me. Anything short of that means they are looking to take advantage of you and then go look for another sucker.

In the nine years I've been shooting I still haven't made enough money to pay for my first Fiji S2 Pro ($1900). During that time, I'm quite sure Dennis has cleared and stashed over 10 million in cash. I enjoy what I do and it's not about money. However, I'd turn that gig down on principle. Having a millionaire offering nothing to a common working man for the opportunity to shoot his ladies just rubs me the wrong way on principle. I suppose I'm weird like that. Still, there are time you'd give your work away free for a good cause if it touches your heart. However, this ain't one of them. Or is it just me being a fickle asshole...hmnnn?

Jan 08 13 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,572
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Brian Hillburn wrote:
Still, there are time you'd give your work away free for a good cause if it touches your heart. However, this ain't one of them. Or is it just me being a fickle asshole...hmnnn?

Is it still a good cause if it touches your wiener instead of your heart? tongue

Jan 08 13 12:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Brian Hillburn wrote:
In the nine years I've been shooting I still haven't made enough money to pay for my first Fiji S2 Pro ($1900). During that time, I'm quite sure Dennis has cleared and stashed over 10 million in cash. I enjoy what I do and it's not about money. However, I'd turn that gig down on principle. Having a millionaire offering nothing to a common working man for the opportunity to shoot his ladies just rubs me the wrong way on principle. I suppose I'm weird like that. Still, there are time you'd give your work away free for a good cause if it touches your heart. However, this ain't one of them. Or is it just me being a fickle asshole...hmnnn?

Let me put this into perspective for a second. Take a look at their (awful looking) website:

http://www.bunnyranch.com

A few of the girls on their roster are actually clients of mine who paid me to shoot their llama herder portfolios.

Here's one of the most recent ones. Her photo isn't on the site yet because she just started working there:

http://shotbyadam.com/wp-content/upload … U_5238.jpg

Now, take a look at their gallery:
http://www.bunnyranch.com/show.php?a=6_1

What you are going to see are some really nice photos mixed with some really horrible ones. The good photos are when the girls independently hire their own photographers and they pay for photos for their portfolio. They use the same photos on Eros or Cityvibe or any other llama herder-related site they are on before moving to the Bunny Ranch. The bad photos you see are the ones where they have some photographer come in and shoot the girls either at the Ranch or another location nearby. I can assure you, all of those bad photos were shot by someone who was probably promised "paid work if Dennis likes the photos".

The thing you need to understand is that they don't care if the photos look like shit. Have you actually ever been to the Bunny Ranch? It's a complete shithole. It's 100X more sleazy than you can even imagine. It's like a Pahrump version of Larry's Villa. Their website looks like it was designed in 1997. Everything about this place is just low class, so why does it surprise anyone that they would want to take advantage of people to get free work? To them, free and shitty is better than paid and great.

Jan 08 13 01:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Hillburn
Posts: 2,436
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


-JAY- wrote:

Is it still a good cause if it touches your wiener instead of your heart? tongue

LOL...I knew someone would go there.

Jan 08 13 02:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Hillburn
Posts: 2,436
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Shot By Adam wrote:

Let me put this into perspective for a second. Take a look at their (awful looking) website:

http://www.bunnyranch.com

A few of the girls on their roster are actually clients of mine who paid me to shoot their escort portfolios.

Here's one of the most recent ones. Her photo isn't on the site yet because she just started working there:

http://shotbyadam.com/wp-content/upload … U_5238.jpg

Now, take a look at their gallery:
http://www.bunnyranch.com/show.php?a=6_1

What you are going to see are some really nice photos mixed with some really horrible ones. The good photos are when the girls independently hire their own photographers and they pay for photos for their portfolio. They use the same photos on Eros or Cityvibe or any other escort-related site they are on before moving to the Bunny Ranch. The bad photos you see are the ones where they have some photographer come in and shoot the girls either at the Ranch or another location nearby. I can assure you, all of those bad photos were shot by someone who was probably promised "paid work if Dennis likes the photos".

The thing you need to understand is that they don't care if the photos look like shit. Have you actually ever been to the Bunny Ranch? It's a complete shithole. It's 100X more sleazy than you can even imagine. It's like a Pahrump version of Larry's Villa. Their website looks like it was designed in 1997. Everything about this place is just low class, so why does it surprise anyone that they would want to take advantage of people to get free work? To them, free and shitty is better than paid and great.

I can't see the pic you posted... ?

Jan 08 13 03:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-The Dave-
Posts: 8,626
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Nikon had a good booth at CES, this was today. If you get the chance, stop in and play with the new stuff or do like I did, shoot with your own.

http://www.daplv.com/lvps/DP7_2339.jpg
Jan 08 13 09:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,446
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


-The Dave- wrote:
Nikon had a good booth at CES, this was today. If you get the chance, stop in and play with the new stuff or do like I did, shoot with your own.

Funny they had the same guy/setup at the NY show.

Jan 08 13 09:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-The Dave-
Posts: 8,626
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Pulling the trigger on the D800 tomorrow, would have been tonight but B&H is on holiday for some reason. hmm
Jan 11 13 06:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


-The Dave- wrote:
Pulling the trigger on the D800 tomorrow, would have been tonight but B&H is on holiday for some reason. hmm

You'll love it Dave!

Jan 11 13 10:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-The Dave-
Posts: 8,626
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Yay! It arrived today!  Going to shoot Bree Olson tonight with it as it's acid test.
Jan 18 13 09:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
j3_photo
Posts: 19,864
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


-The Dave- wrote:
Yay! It arrived today!  Going to shoot Bree Olson tonight with it as it's acid test.

Nice smile  I got to shoot Phoenix Marie tonight and damn is she ever a blast! borat
big_smile

Jan 19 13 04:49 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,572
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Anyone ever shoot at the Rio? Rooms look nice (and I know some rooms don't live up to their online - but I typically get similar results) and the suite layout leaves plenty of room for multiple lights, with large modifiers.

And for $37 after taxes s-th... why the fuck not?

One of my favorite models, hair, makeup... all set up and ready to go!

http://www.riolasvegas.com/content/scaffold_pages/rooms/rio/rlv/deluxe_studio_suite/_jcr_content/cards/card/image.cetimg.p2S.jpg/1358751976098.jpg
Jan 23 13 10:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-The Dave-
Posts: 8,626
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Yup, shot there many times back in the day. Large, plenty of room for everything, only problem I found was the windows. Sometimes, depending on the floor, you attract attention.
Jan 24 13 01:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-The Dave-
Posts: 8,626
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Sad day today, we lost the last "real" camera store in the valley, Casey's Camera is changing ownership, it's will soon be B&C west or gone completely. sad
Jan 25 13 11:48 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,572
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


-The Dave- wrote:
Sad day today, we lost the last "real" camera store in the valley, Casey's Camera is changing ownership, it's will soon be B&C west or gone completely. sad

Fucking Fuck. I stop in there a couple times a month, and even if I don't need to buy anything, I'll pick up a few rolls of film... just to chit chat and give them some business.

Jan 25 13 05:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
D M E C K E R T
Posts: 4,786
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


sad sad

hopefully if b&c takes it over, they still carry film and such. i don't have any sort of attachment to the place, except that its existence allows me to not have to wait a couple days for film.

in other news...much more positive news...i've come into possession of a couple Lekos ...and hope to have them altered to attach the einsteins. should be fun.
Jan 25 13 09:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-The Dave-
Posts: 8,626
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Gonna send a hamster thru the bank tube with a little ransom note & a tiny gun. I hope this works. I want more toys...
Jan 29 13 04:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


-The Dave- wrote:
Sad day today, we lost the last "real" camera store in the valley, Casey's Camera is changing ownership, it's will soon be B&C west or gone completely. sad

I say good riddance. While years ago this was once a nice place to always talk shop with the old geezers in there, they completely gave up trying to run a decent shop about five years ago. They all just turned into a bunch of curmudgeonly old guys. Every time I went in there it was impossible to leave without listening to them whine, bitch, and moan about how bad business was and how the Internet was stealing all their business away. For the last two years they never kept a good inventory of anything and god forbid you ever had to return an item and get a refund, they would lay down a guilt trip on you so thick they would make you feel as though you asking for your money back on a defective item was going to send them all into poverty.

Years ago, Casey's was a pretty cool place, but they couldn't compete nor did they even try to and the place just turned into one big shop of complainers. Even my wife once called the place "The Whine Store". It's sad that a big store in town is closing because competition is always good but Casey's has nothing to blame for their demise than themselves.

Jan 29 13 05:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
H B P
Posts: 3,583
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Did you guys know the Jean Dry Lake bed is patrolled by Rangers and you need a permit to shoot there?

Well there is and you do. Found out today, I've been there probably more than dozen times and never been bother, Never even seen anybody out there when was there.

Just a heads up, guys.
Feb 02 13 07:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,738
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


H B P wrote:
Did you guys know the Jean Dry Lake bed is patrolled by Rangers and you need a permit to shoot there?

Well there is and you do. Found out today, I've been there probably more than dozen times and never been bother, Never even seen anybody out there when was there.

Just a heads up, guys.

Well, that's a first. I just posted a blog about shooting at the dry lake beds so I'll go amend it with that info. How exactly is the dry lake bed part of a state or national park though?

Feb 02 13 09:31 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,572
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Shot By Adam wrote:
How exactly is the dry lake bed part of a state or national park though?

BLM Public Land last I knew.

Feb 02 13 10:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-The Dave-
Posts: 8,626
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Be careful using the D800 for beauty headshots, the resolution is fucking unbelievable!

I'm cleaning out pours and fixing split ends...
Feb 06 13 07:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-The Dave-
Posts: 8,626
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Feb 07 13 03:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photos 4 The Memories
Posts: 1,281
Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US


-The Dave- wrote:
Be careful using the D800 for beauty headshots, the resolution is fucking unbelievable!

I'm cleaning out pours and fixing split ends...

Wonder how it would work out at are 51?

Feb 07 13 03:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
j3_photo
Posts: 19,864
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Feb 07 13 04:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
j3_photo
Posts: 19,864
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


-JAY- wrote:
Anyone ever shoot at the Rio? Rooms look nice (and I know some rooms don't live up to their online - but I typically get similar results) and the suite layout leaves plenty of room for multiple lights, with large modifiers.

And for $37 after taxes s-th... why the fuck not?

One of my favorite models, hair, makeup... all set up and ready to go!

http://www.riolasvegas.com/content/scaffold_pages/rooms/rio/rlv/deluxe_studio_suite/_jcr_content/cards/card/image.cetimg.p2S.jpg/1358751976098.jpg

I've seen those rooms going for crazy cheap.  I am def. going to look at them for doing shoots and a few others smile

Feb 07 13 04:28 am  Link  Quote 
first251252253254255last   Search   Reply