login info join!
Forums > Contests > PotD18+ Discussion Thread Search   Reply
first128129130131132133134135last
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


StacieMaria wrote:
I can't figure out why I can't vote in the 18+ contest. I choose my 3 votes and press vote and it says "Thank you" Then I can go back and the votes didn't take. Am I no longer able to vote anymore?

Question... you vote - then you go back and check? How do you "go back" to check?

Jun 03 13 01:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


Eye of the World wrote:
I'm curious, did someone make a fake account to enter the photo that won on Saturday? Seems odd for the account to now be closed if she was in fact the one who entered the contest. And if it was a fake account and the mods removed the profile, shouldn't the winning image also be removed and the 2nd place person be declared the winner?

Saturday June 1?
The winner's account is still active http://www.modelmayhem.com/2995542
She even logged in today.

Jun 03 13 02:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vincent Arthur
Posts: 893
Red Bank, New Jersey, US


Jo Jo,

The account you linked was not the Saturday winner.

Unable to show profile #3054543
This member is either awaiting approval or has removed their profile from the site.
Jun 03 13 02:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


Vincent Arthur wrote:
Jo Jo,

The account you linked was not the Saturday winner.

Unable to show profile #3054543
This member is either awaiting approval or has removed their profile from the site.

Actually it was the PotD winner from Saturday wink

The PotD18+F winner's account from Saturday is "pending" - I can say no more as the matter is in CAM.

Jun 03 13 04:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bellinger
Posts: 1,764
Princeville, Hawaii, US


Thanks again JoJo ... hmmm need new glasses maybe...

Jun 04 13 01:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Leighton
Posts: 131
Lagos, Algarve, Portugal


An entry in todays 18+M contest

http://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/pot … view/85873

appears to be the same as yesterday's winning entry.
Jun 05 13 04:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Blaine Dixon
Posts: 1,281
San Francisco, California, US


Jun 08 13 10:37 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


Jun 08 13 02:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


Moderator Note!
Note to everyone:

I will offer an opinion, as I have done for Blaine Dixon above, on images destined for the PotD and PotD18+.

Rules:
limit - 3 images per CAM - 3 CAMs per month
the images must be your images
the images must be in your port on MM
you must supply the full URLs to the image display page from your port in your CAM.

I will respond as I have done above.

If you wish to debate/argue my opinion, I will not respond.
If you wish to flood me with requests or abuse this privilege I will not respond.
Jun 08 13 03:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Leighton
Posts: 131
Lagos, Algarve, Portugal


JoJo wrote:
Note to everyone:

I will offer an opinion, as I have done for Blaine Dixon above, on images destined for the PotD and PotD18+.

Rules:
limit - 3 images per CAM - 3 CAMs per month
the images must be your images
the images must be in your port on MM
you must supply the full URLs to the image display page from your port in your CAM.

I will respond as I have done above.

If you wish to debate/argue my opinion, I will not respond.
If you wish to flood me with requests or abuse this privilege I will not respond.

Is this a modification of current procedures?  I ask because in  a thread in the site related forum a few weeks ago (I have spent 5 mins trawling through them but I can't find it now) Brian Diaz posted that members could submit images for checking as above via CAM - there was no mention of any limit.  I did check if this applied to the contests.

There is probably not much you can do about this but unless members check the contests forum regularly they will be unaware of this policy change, if it is that.  Just something for consideration.

Jun 09 13 01:52 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Williamxzy
Posts: 138
San Francisco, California, US


sorry wrong forum Im still asleep
Jun 09 13 10:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Blaine Dixon
Posts: 1,281
San Francisco, California, US


Jun 09 13 10:55 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


Mark Leighton wrote:
Is this a modification of current procedures?

No

Mark Leighton wrote:
I ask because in  a thread in the site related forum a few weeks ago (I have spent 5 mins trawling through them but I can't find it now) Brian Diaz posted that members could submit images for checking as above via CAM - there was no mention of any limit.  I did check if this applied to the contests.

sarcasm=on
I'm sure that Brian Diaz, the Head Site Administrator and the busiest man on MM, will be more than happy to spend hours and hours of his valuable time debating/arguing the acceptability of images.
sarcasm=off

If you would like me, the Contest Administrator, to offer an opinion on the suitability of images for the contest, my terms are listed above.

Mark Leighton wrote:
There is probably not much you can do about this but unless members check the contests forum regularly they will be unaware of this policy change, if it is that.  Just something for consideration.

No, it is not a policy change - it is my offer to those who are having problems with the subtleties of such rules as "emphasis on genitalia" and "non flaccid penis".

Jun 09 13 01:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


Blaine Dixon wrote:
Thanks!

wink

Jun 09 13 01:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Leighton
Posts: 131
Lagos, Algarve, Portugal


JoJo wrote:
No, it is not a policy change - it is my offer to those who are having problems with the subtleties of such rules as "emphasis on genitalia" and "non flaccid penis".

(Sarcasm set to off)
Your offer is greatly appreciated, JoJo and I for one will be glad to have this additional service

(Sarcasm set to medium)
Great that we have two experts to advise us on these subtle matters.

Jun 09 13 02:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of the World
Posts: 706
Corvallis, Oregon, US


What am I doing wrong? Whenever I try to submit any photo already in my portcolio by copying the URL with the photo open and then pasting it into the box with URL selected it returns an error that the picture is either not a jpg or is not the right size.. How can an image that was the correct size and format when put into my portfolio now by wrong? Is there some trick I don't know?

Edit: I realized I was copying the link for the page, not the image. Brain fart.
Jun 10 13 03:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Robert Sleeper
Posts: 1,230
Marietta, Pennsylvania, US


I keep having a photo disappear in the 18+ contest and it cant be the 15 day rule as it doesn't even show up in the checker... I'm thinking maybe the rules changed and I'm not aware? JoJo maybe you can enlighten me... Thanks!  :-)
Jun 10 13 04:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of the World
Posts: 706
Corvallis, Oregon, US


This image in today's woman's contest appears to be male. The hands are not feminine and when blown it appears that the tip of a penis including the urethral orifice is visible under the right hand.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/pot … view/86730 18+
Jun 10 13 07:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kent Art Photography
Posts: 2,545
Ashford, England, United Kingdom


Eye of the World wrote:
This image in today's woman's contest appears to be male. The hands are not feminine and when blown it appears that the tip of a penis including the urethral orifice is visible under the right hand.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/pot … view/86730 18+

I see the foot of the glass with the light shining through it.

Jun 10 13 07:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JAMES ROSS PHOTOGRAPHIX
Posts: 3,945
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


JoJo,

Where do you find the time??? smile

Thanks for everyhing you do for all of us!

Sincerely,

James
Jun 10 13 08:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Quartzmine Photo
Posts: 54
Sacramento, California, US


Sure. Where else but in America can an individual citizen submit a photo that lacks anything original and fails to stand out in any qualitative way -  and is  flawed by lens flare to boot- and win a contest?

Maybe it has something to do with it being difficult to even get votes to register. It must be a technical issue  because I'm certain every vote cast is based solely on each voter's assessment of merit. The site certainly has effective means to prevent vote stacking.

Message me if you'd be interested in buying a bridge I have for sale.
Jun 10 13 10:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kent Art Photography
Posts: 2,545
Ashford, England, United Kingdom


Quartzmine Photo wrote:
..Where else but in America...

Where else but in America do people assume that the rest of the world does not exist?  Except, maybe, North Korea, but then you can't expect North Koreans to know any better.

Jun 10 13 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Danny Barson
Posts: 57
Mansfield, England, United Kingdom


A quick question to one of the moderators.

On 4th June a picture I entered into the 18+ male comp my photo didn't show the image was http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pi … 0#29697370
Looking at the link to check on the 15 day rule it says under the pic #DQ, what does that mean? And why?
Jun 10 13 11:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of the World
Posts: 706
Corvallis, Oregon, US


Kent Art Photography wrote:

I see the foot of the glass with the light shining through it.

You are correct, I see that now. Optical illusion.

However those still look very much like male hands in terms of finger length, skin texture, and the short nails with no polish. In the submitter's portfolio there is no model credit in order to cross check. It also does not look like the shape of the typical female pubic mound. Since there are other clues that at least make one wonder, that begs the question on how the contest should handle images where the gender is not obvious.

I have no axe to grind with the submitter.

Jun 10 13 05:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Stanley L Moore
Posts: 1,404
Houston, Texas, US


Eye of the World wrote:

You are correct, I see that now. Optical illusion.

However those still look very much like male hands in terms of finger length, skin texture, and the short nails with no polish. In the submitter's portfolio there is no model credit in order to cross check. It also does not look like the shape of the typical female pubic mound. Since there are other clues that at least make one wonder, that begs the question on how the contest should handle images where the gender is not obvious.

I have no axe to grind with the submitter.

I imagine such instances would be very rare. I once entered a non equivocal male image in the female contest by accident. I seldom look at the female results nor do I vote there. In the male section I cannot conceive of an equivocal entry.

Jun 10 13 05:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Danny Barson
Posts: 57
Mansfield, England, United Kingdom


Stanley L Moore wrote:

I imagine such instances would be very rare. I once entered a non equivocal male image in the female contest by accident. I seldom look at the female results nor do I vote there. In the male section I cannot conceive of an equivocal entry.

Well look at todays comp, there are 2 women in the mens 18+ comp today!

Jun 11 13 12:21 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
steve54321
Posts: 14
Kendal, England, United Kingdom


not only women in todays 18+ comp but two very erect penises!
Jun 11 13 12:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Quartzmine Photo
Posts: 54
Sacramento, California, US


I just took another look at 6/11 entries and found no misplaced sausage. There is one B&W that looks a bit like a dude, but not down there.

I also recognized two different pix of the same model, which raises an eyebrow. No one would *ever* game the contest.

Just remember: Vote early and often!
Jun 11 13 10:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of the World
Posts: 706
Corvallis, Oregon, US


Quartzmine Photo wrote:
I just took another look at 6/11 entries and found no misplaced sausage. There is one B&W that looks a bit like a dude, but not down there.

I also recognized two different pix of the same model, which raises an eyebrow. No one would *ever* game the contest.

Just remember: Vote early and often!

If they are *different* pictures, assuming they were submitted by two different people (two photographers or model and photographer) that wouldn't be against the rules would it?

Jun 12 13 02:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Stanley L Moore
Posts: 1,404
Houston, Texas, US


No it would not be agains the rules. Only if a photographer and model submitted the SAME photo to the contest would both be DQd.
Jun 12 13 03:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Stanley L Moore
Posts: 1,404
Houston, Texas, US


Based on my CAM about the female in pink, not even 18+ in the voting, I understand JoJo is away for a few days. Sio we can expect some abberations if the Contest Queen is not in charge.

Last time she was away one of my images was disqualified for emphasis on genitalia.... later it was acceptable in the contest. Hopefully we can wait until JoJo returns.
Jun 12 13 04:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


I'm back - I will clean up any problems as quickly as I am able.
Jun 13 13 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Keith S Photography
Posts: 787
Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland, US


Why was the image I submitted for 6/20 removed? I had submitted it long before and thought it didn't win...
Jun 21 13 12:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Keith S Photography
Posts: 787
Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland, US


Now it's there... bizzare
Jun 21 13 08:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Alexandra R Y
Posts: 466
Amberg, Bavaria, Germany


What was that link that you could use to check to see how long it's been since you made a submission?
Jun 22 13 01:17 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JoJo
Contest Queen
Posts: 23,315
Clearwater, Florida, US


Alexandra R Y wrote:
What was that link that you could use to check to see how long it's been since you made a submission?

For you it's http://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/15_d … id=2246042

One more thing to keep in mind about the 15 day rule - it's image specific, not submitter specific.
If you enter a pic today and the photographer enters the same pic tomorrow it will not show up on the above report... but the photographer's submission will be disqualified as a violation of the 15-day rule.

Jun 22 13 01:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Alexandra R Y
Posts: 466
Amberg, Bavaria, Germany


JoJo wrote:

For you it's http://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/15_d … id=2246042

One more thing to keep in mind about the 15 day rule - it's image specific, not submitter specific.
If you enter a pic today and the photographer enters the same pic tomorrow it will not show up on the above report... but the photographer's submission will be disqualified as a violation of the 15-day rule.

Ahh perfect, thanks! wink

Jun 22 13 01:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Quartzmine Photo
Posts: 54
Sacramento, California, US


What makes a winner in the POTD F 18+?

I know "there's no accounting for taste" but I've never been able to come close to figuring it out. Maybe someone here can open my eyes.

Here are links to the first and last place entries in the 7/7/13  POTD 18+ F contest.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/pot … view/90858
http://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/pot … view/90823

I could criticize both on various technical and compositional grounds. I could also make an argument that the last place has a certain exotic interest while the first is more cookie-cutter cheesecake.  I could note that the winner features a model (who I know) with a long list of credits that includes a magazine cover. Even given the acquaintance bias, I didn't vote for the winner but considered voting for the last place. (Not arguing the last place deserved to win, just observing that the difference does not reach out and slap me in the face. )

The previous day contest also has a dead last entry that's well composed and interesting with a model climbing in a cave. Winner a studio posed cameo.


http://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/pot … view/90689
http://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/pot … view/90689

So maybe it's model fame to win and an exotic background to lose. Since I have some shots of the 7/7 winner, I think I'll enter one and see how it does. Since my Bat signal generator is in the shop, however, I won't hold my breath.
Jul 08 13 09:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Stanley L Moore
Posts: 1,404
Houston, Texas, US


Winning the contests is not easy. I do not vote in or even look at the Female 18+ contest so I cannot directly help you.  But I have noticed the same with the male contest.

It used to be said that only "sausage" pics would win in the male and "clam" in the female. As you said about taste... no one can account for it. I often see mediocre photos win the male (one of them was mine, to my surprise), while otter great shots came in lower. There is a tendency for dick shots to get more votes but not exclusively. Since ther are often only 20 or so entries it would be easier to win but that is not the case.

I suggest you enter your best shots and see how they fare. It might be eye opening. Sometimes bad photos will do well and sometimes goods ones do. It is the luck of the draw. This is probably because the winner is determined by vote and the electot=rate is always fickle.
Jul 08 13 09:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of the World
Posts: 706
Corvallis, Oregon, US


You mean little difference other than the last place photo looks like a composite, with over-processed skin, a poorly done cutout, out of focus model, weird blurring in the hair, and lighting that doesn't match the background?

(I am not one to post unsolicited critiques, but the question regarding the differences was asked so I felt it appropriate to share my opinion)
Jul 08 13 09:28 am  Link  Quote 
first128129130131132133134135last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers