login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Not posing nude? Search   Reply
first123
Model
Alabaster Crowley
Posts: 6,599
Tucson, Arizona, US


I've gone back and forth about it a lot but, because I haven't been sure, I haven't done it. Once you do it, it's out there and you can't undo it. I might still, in the future. I just need to be sure.

I mean, I do pasties and thongs, which is only hiding the really important stuff. That extra little bit showing just feels different to me. I'm fully aware that's a little bit silly tongue
Jul 17 12 07:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Luz Lenoir
Posts: 12
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US


The responses you get are fun to read. My main reason for not posing nude is because I don't want it to interfer with my professional career.
Jul 17 12 08:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
denis071
Posts: 93
Sarajevo, Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina


reasons for why someone is not posing nude are irrelevant. just word: I don't do that is good enough for photographer.

however, in my country is almost impossible to find girls who do pose nude for artistic purposes - they are afraid of public opinion, what their family will say, their friends, colleagues etc. impact of the family is still strong even for those who would do nude. boyfriends who doesn't want anyone to see their girlfriends naked and listen to stories or jokes from their buddies etc.
Jul 18 12 05:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotopia
Posts: 1,080
Atlanta, Georgia, US


If a models profile stated "I don't shoot fashion", would people be hounding her about her reasoning?
Jul 18 12 05:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Williams
Posts: 3,239
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Jem Iredale wrote:
I was wondering what the people who choose not to pose nude's reasons were?

I'm shy smile

Jul 18 12 05:51 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachael Bueckert
Posts: 1,121
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada


Shauna Carlo wrote:

Couldn't careless whether or not you think I'm special. big_smile

NEVER. Not everybody has a price, you might but not everybody is you.
If someone wanted me to pose nude, then they aren't a special person to me.
Sorry, you can pick apart any wording you want. Not everybody would pose nude. I wouldn't.

I'm with her ^ I tried implied once, and will never do it again.

Jul 18 12 03:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fist Full of Ish
Posts: 1,904
Oak Ridge, Tennessee, US


Rachael Bueckert wrote:

I'm with her ^ I tried implied once, and will never do it again.

Aw.  'Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.  So many I've known like it and come back for more.

Jul 19 12 12:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
liindsay ann
Posts: 1,859
Cleveland, Ohio, US


Distorted Horizon Photo wrote:

liindsay ann wrote:
My parents haven't seen my pictures here, but if they did, I'd be willing to explain

Though I understand what you are saying, this is why models shouldn't give a reason, because then people see "holes" in their argument and try and 'talk' them into posing nude anyway.

I know you aren't trying to talk her into doing nudes, but apparently her parents would be cool about her posing in the nude (as long as nothing is seen)... I don't think most parents see it that way, but who would know her parents better then anyone here except HER.

I know it's crazy, but some people still care what their parents think of them no matter how old they get.

Actually my parents would not be happy with me doing implied, but however, my privates aren't showing, so there is something to be somewhat relaxed about.. get it?  I'm 24, I live with my husband, and I'm a grown adult, and yes I care what my family thinks, age has nothing to do with it.  I stand for my rights, but also respect  them.. we we're raised differently I take it.  Also, my husband doesn't want me me to shoot nudes either.. He doesn't mind implied because his friends and family can't google up naked photos of me.. sorry if this boggles anyones minds, but it's been working quite swell for me for the past few years.  smile

Jul 19 12 06:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,746
Dearborn, Michigan, US


If a model will not pose the way that I would like her to I will use another model.  There are many models to choose from.
Jul 19 12 06:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mickle Design Werks Too
Posts: 20
Fort Washington, Maryland, US


It's fascinating the reasons why some Models will shoot nude and other Models will not.

The only legit reason to my thinking for doing nude work is for self-fulfillment. If you are doing it just for money, for the gratification of others or the coercion from an emotional need then IMHO you are doing it for the wrong reasons. What you do has to be contributing to your sense of well being and if it isn't then stop doing it. You have a choice.

Also, I think it's funny how situational nudity can be and the areas of our lives where it's acceptable and areas of our lives where we are more protective of it. Visiting a Doctor for a physical or changing in a locker room are examples of situations that  involve exposing areas of our bodies to strangers that we'd rather keep exclusive.

It's important to realize that the decision is really just a matter of perception. If you perceive that the body is used in a way to express ideas and that your physical form can be used to help express these ideas then you are likely to be OK with doing nude work. If you feel your physical form is sacred and meant to be exclusively seen then you have to decide how much of your physical form are you willing to share with the world. What ever your decision is, people should respect it.
Jul 19 12 06:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,513
Hickory, North Carolina, US


What I don't get is models not posing nude, but will pose in bikini or skimpy lingerie shots.

Because really, that 1" of fabric leaves *so* much to the imagination and makes them look so much more modest. lol
Jul 19 12 07:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wysiwyg Photography
Posts: 6,326
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


KonstantKarma wrote:
What I don't get is models not posing nude, but will pose in bikini or skimpy lingerie shots.

Because really, that 1" of fabric leaves *so* much to the imagination and makes them look so much more modest. lol

Nipples and Pussy make all the difference in the world...

Put it this way... many of the nudity laws include female nipple, areola, and Labia... if those are covered you can go out in public and not get arrested. (at least not for indecent exposure)..

Jul 19 12 02:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,267
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


KonstantKarma wrote:
What I don't get is models not posing nude, but will pose in bikini or skimpy lingerie shots.

Because really, that 1" of fabric leaves *so* much to the imagination and makes them look so much more modest. lol
Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
Nipples and Pussy make all the difference in the world...

Put it this way... many of the nudity laws include female nipple, areola, and Labia... if those are covered you can go out in public and not get arrested. (at least not for indecent exposure)..

Yep.

How hard is it to understand? Geez.

Jul 19 12 02:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,177
Salem, Oregon, US


i've seen a few models come back later and say "um, can i take that all back? i really need the money so if you will pay me i'll get nude"

for my part, going to a strip club is sexy. shooting models (even nude ones) is work. although there was this one playboy model with the most amazing, um, clothes. lol.

Shauna Carlo wrote:
I might be a bit "cocky." But I think someone has to be pretty damn special to be lucky enough to see me naked. That's literally how I see it. I like having control over who sees me naked. I don't want just any creep to get to see me.

Jul 19 12 02:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
AllyssaN
Posts: 6
Detroit, Michigan, US


If you are serious about modeling and you want to take it all the way..i guess it depends on what you want to model, but for me runway..I'm going to have to pose topless. Behind the scenes all kinds of people are going to be talking your clothes off talking to you taking photos. No one cares about seeing your lady parts, it's all about the product. I don't understand why i can't be religious and be able to take my top off. Some of the most beautiful beauty shots are coming from a topless woman. You were born naked, you ran around naked when you were a baby, probably even took baths with your cousins until you were 6. Is its just because you're able to have sex that's all people look at when your nude?
Jul 19 12 04:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KC King
Posts: 848
Brea, California, US


I'd pose nude in a second, but no one is asking. We are wayyy to hung up on nudity in this country on a level of stupidness the likes I'd say I've never seen, but instead I've seen it my whole life. My Mom is from England and has walked around naked since my birth.

Think about the fact that the Adam & Eve story is still effecting people!! Ha ha ha!!
Jul 19 12 04:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wysiwyg Photography
Posts: 6,326
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


AllyssaNicolle wrote:
If you are serious about modeling and you want to take it all the way..i guess it depends on what you want to model, but for me runway..I'm going to have to pose topless. Behind the scenes all kinds of people are going to be talking your clothes off talking to you taking photos. No one cares about seeing your lady parts, it's all about the product. I don't understand why i can't be religious and be able to take my top off. Some of the most beautiful beauty shots are coming from a topless woman. You were born naked, you ran around naked when you were a baby, probably even took baths with your cousins until you were 6. Is its just because you're able to have sex that's all people look at when your nude?

Though I agree that nudity really isn't that special to me and that taking a photo of a woman in the nude is just as satisfying as photographing one clothed.. It's all about the concept, and I am 100% professional about it and don't think twice about the sexual aspect that can surround the figure of a nude woman.

That being said. It's all about the comfort of the subject... My current avatar didn't like the way her knees looked and requested that any shots we did covered the knees.
I doubt she sees the knees as something sexual... and *I* certainly don't. But that is what she was comfortable with.

Not only that, 99% of the girls I shoot clothed want pretty pictures of themselves to post on facebook, show grandparents, show to friends... most people have no use for nude photos outside the realm of building a nude portfolio to gain work...

I have worked with a few models that prefer nude modeling (even for trade)... but that is not the majority.

Jul 19 12 09:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Carmilla Jo
Posts: 275
Berkeley, California, US


New Century Studio wrote:
If a models profile stated "I don't shoot fashion", would people be hounding her about her reasoning?

+1

Jul 19 12 09:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wysiwyg Photography
Posts: 6,326
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


New Century Studio wrote:
If a models profile stated "I don't shoot fashion", would people be hounding her about her reasoning?

Oh... she DOES shoot fashion... just not with you! wink tongue

all kidding aside, that is a really good analogy.. except... I know a few photographers that WOULD ask that question.


I don't shoot bondage... I have yet to be asked why though.

Jul 19 12 09:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Generic name
Posts: 19
Modesto, California, US


im a sissy, ive done implied and even those make me cringe, i am married and my husband wouldnt feel so great about everyone seeing god's gift's, BUT the biggest thing for me is my son i would hate him getting teased about it (specially his male friends) wouldn't really be fair.

oh and i also model as a hobby mostly i've made money from it, but all in all i don't think many people would like to hire a marriage counselor who has posed in the Nude. ;p
Jul 25 12 10:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Desiree Chivon
Posts: 1,997
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Let's just all get nakey together?
Please? smile
Jul 25 12 10:32 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 34,436
San Francisco, California, US


New Century Studio wrote:
If a models profile stated "I don't shoot fashion", would people be hounding her about her reasoning?

You would be surprised, the answer is, at least sometimes "yes."  It is not the same as nudity though so I agree with your point.

Jul 25 12 10:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R.EYE.R
Posts: 2,719
Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan


My penis is only 4 inches...
Jul 25 12 10:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Shauna Carlo wrote:
Couldn't careless whether or not you think I'm special. big_smile

NEVER. Not everybody has a price, you might but not everybody is you.
If someone wanted me to pose nude, then they aren't a special person to me.
Sorry, you can pick apart any wording you want. Not everybody would pose nude. I wouldn't.

I am a nurse and have worked in health care for 20 years. I see naked people very often, "LIVE" and in front of me in their natural states of being, from all ages, genders and in all conditions of health. I'd love to do nudes, (and even started an alternative profile here named Myrna Byrna....) However, I still have a stipulation that they not be overt, or sexual or show nipples or pubes/crotch shots. Not only do I personally not find that artisticly interesting I am certain it would cost me my job. Very certain.

Frontal nudes or attempts at erotica are turn offs for me. I like there to be a little mystery in what is not shown in implieds. Perhaps it is because I am a nurse and see people naked and in their moments and believe that we all have inherent, (sp) dignity and in giving the viewer the respect of giving the art the dignity of not showing it all 'in your face.'

Meh, I also work in women's health and seeing womens vajay jay's or breasts flopping around as the STAR OBJECT of the picture are BORING to me. So boring.

Edit to add: you can tell what is the focus in a picture and I prefer it to be the very intersting person...their mood, their thoughts...their look, the scenary and itnerplay...not just BOOBS. smile that is the boring thing to me, when it removes all the interestingness of the person.

Jen

Jul 25 12 11:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


FlirtynFun Photography wrote:

That's nice to say on a forum...but in practicality...anyone would be heavily mentally challenged not to take a BILLION dollars to pose nude for Vogue.

I would do it for free.

However, if for any insane reason they were offering that amount of money, I could always give it to charities who would do far better with it than me. After I take a portion for myself that is!
wink
Jen-aka Myrna Byrna

Jul 25 12 11:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sekseeshotz
Posts: 331
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Jem Iredale wrote:
I was wondering what the people who choose not to pose nude's reasons were?

Does it really matter if someone doesn't pose for anyone anyway??

Just sayin

Jul 26 12 12:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Stereoblind
Posts: 663
Vancouver, Washington, US


I won't pose nude just to satisfy someone's curiosity but I'd do it for a print project like Naked NY or something similar.
Jul 29 12 03:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


New Century Studio wrote:
If a models profile stated "I don't shoot fashion", would people be hounding her about her reasoning?
ei Total Productions wrote:
You would be surprised, the answer is, at least sometimes "yes."  It is not the same as nudity though so I agree with your point.

I've had models refuse to put on clothes for shoots, a model who agreed to trade nude but wanted pay clothed, and recently there was a photographer complaining that all the models in his area shot nudes, but not fashion.  It's never as simple as it seems.

Jul 29 12 04:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Camerosity
Posts: 5,023
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
because I wasn't ready for it

What made you ready?

(This is a serious question.)

Jul 29 12 04:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bravoscape
Posts: 259
Frederick, Maryland, US


Few things here...

First, to the photogs who say "I don't do it" is an acceptable answer...OK. BUT this thread is asking WHY. If someone says no, I leave it at that - but the OP posed the question of why no. The most recent model I shot was religious, didn't want her parents seeing the pictures. The stripper was paid to be naked daily but was conscious about her body. Different reasons for different people. Would I shoot naked? Surely, I am confident in my body...plus I doubt many women would use naked photos of me to diddle themselves, so why should I care?

Secondly, to the models who just wouldn't do it, never. Never say never. Frankly, from the personalities that I am seeing in some, you couldn't pay me to shoot with you - naked or not. Arrogance should never be mistaken for confidence. Maybe I am the only male photog here who is desensitized to it, but seeing a woman naked doesn't really do it like it used to. I have seen too many (good and bad). Plus I live in a college town...so young attractive girls are within a stone's throw at any given point. Also, don't get naked and ask if you have the body for nude photography unless you want an honest answer. If you look rough...I will tell you.

Cutting any portion of photography out of your work is bad business practice. If I decided suddenly to never sell another print to the Welsh (using them since I am) I am cutting a demographic right there. Cutting a major portion of photography is cutting your potential client base. Do it if you like, make whatever reasons you like - but at the end of the day...you are only affecting yourself - good or bad.

I have a ton of photography not posted here because it's almost all nude. I don't want to be pigeon holed into that category. I like shooting nudes because I am good at it, but want to expand past it. IF the need arises that I post it, I surely will.
Jul 29 12 05:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Art of Churchwell
Posts: 3,171
QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US


Bravoscape wrote:
Few things here...

First, to the photogs who say "I don't do it" is an acceptable answer...OK. BUT this thread is asking WHY. If someone says no, I leave it at that - but the OP posed the question of why no. The most recent llama I shot was religious, didn't want her parents seeing the pictures. The stripper was paid to be naked daily but was conscious about her body. Different reasons for different people. Would I shoot naked? Surely, I am confident in my body...plus I doubt many women would use naked photos of me to diddle themselves, so why should I care?

Secondly, to the llamas who just wouldn't do it, never. Never say never. Frankly, from the personalities that I am seeing in some, you couldn't pay me to shoot with you - naked or not. Arrogance should never be mistaken for confidence. Maybe I am the only male photog here who is desensitized to it, but seeing a woman naked doesn't really do it like it used to. I have seen too many (good and bad). Plus I live in a college town...so young attractive girls are within a stone's throw at any given point. Also, don't get naked and ask if you have the body for nude photography unless you want an honest answer. If you look rough...I will tell you.

Cutting any portion of photography out of your work is bad business practice. If I decided suddenly to never sell another print to the Welsh (using them since I am) I am cutting a demographic right there. Cutting a major portion of photography is cutting your potential client base. Do it if you like, make whatever reasons you like - but at the end of the day...you are only affecting yourself - good or bad.

I have a ton of photography not posted here because it's almost all nude. I don't want to be pigeon holed into that category. I like shooting nudes because I am good at it, but want to expand past it. IF the need arises that I post it, I surely will.

Absolutely

Jul 29 12 05:32 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Amil
Posts: 14
Providence, Rhode Island, US


i don't really understand what the obsession is with wanting models who don't pose nude to pose nude! its http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngand difficult to be comfortable in front of a camera with your clothes off, and not everyone is interested in being scared and uncomfortable. Some people love it and are incredible at it, they know they love it and they know they are incredible at it. LET THEM DO IT! Leave the people who don't want to alone.

I hate looking at amateur portfolios with one awkward shot of a boob that has 10x more comments! Its creepy guys. and its obvious. but that's besides the point.

Plus a lot of people on here don't want naked pictures of themselves floating around the internet! i totally get that! have you seen the internet?? its disgusting! i don't care how artful and tasteful your nude photography is, some pervo is gonna figure out how to turn it into porn.

just my 2cents.

p.s. now booking nudes/implied nudes/hardcore porn in New England

p.p.s just kidding about the hardcore porn
Jul 29 12 08:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Myrna Byrna
Posts: 130
Chicago, Illinois, US


Jem Iredale wrote:
I was wondering what the people who choose not to pose nude's reasons were?

Hi,

Side bar a bit:

Posing nude versus posting frontal nudes is a difference for me.

Last week a photographer cancelled a nude shoot because of my request that we maintain our previously discussed expectations of the shot being an implied, (while shot nude of course.) I was bummed that he cancelled but, due to my job cannot have shots with body folds/crotches/nipples in them.

However, yesterday I shot with someone who agreed readily to comply with the implied terms of no nipplies or crotch shots. It was posed nude but shouldn't be 'shown' full frontal. It was not a problem to pose nude for it but, definately inhibited my posing because I was conscious of how to keep the said parts out of shots! Still, I think we managed to get some very nice shots. smile

He lives in a relatively private yet residential area and we shot outside. His partner was there but at that time she was not close to where we were shooting.  I stated the obvious, "I guess your neighbors really don't mind this do they?" He said not at all. Later, I noticed that some neighbors a few houses down must have had company over and they were showing them views of the horizon.

When some looked over at what we were doing, (surely they couldn't have focused on my business from so far away,) I just smiled and waved at them.
smile
Jen-(Gennaver-Myrna)

Jul 29 12 08:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darren Brade
Posts: 2,746
London, England, United Kingdom


I think you're all bloody wrong!

It's because it is Option #2 and Option #3 is way to dangerous, while Option #1 makes people giggle.
Jul 29 12 03:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
KCLynne
Posts: 466
Harlan, Iowa, US


I didn't for the longest time because I was comfortable and being plus size I thought to fat.....but I found a great photographer that worked with me and when I felt ok I did my first shoot.  I was nervous and scared to see what the final shots would be, and after seeing them, I'm glad I did.  I've got a lot of compliments on them, and it made me realize that when it for artistic purposes, people see the art for what it is.  I'd do it again.
Jul 29 12 04:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Logan Heath Wolfrhamn
Posts: 11
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Because the last thing you need is blackmail floating around on the web?
Jul 31 12 03:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Williams
Posts: 3,239
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Shauna Carlo wrote:
I said this is the other thread last week. It's the best way I can put it.

I might be a bit "cocky." But I think someone has to be pretty damn special to be lucky enough to see me naked. That's literally how I see it. I like having control over who sees me naked. I don't want just any creep to get to see me.

I won't do it for Vogue or any publication no matter how popular or respected and I wouldn't do it for a billion dollars either. Money doesn't mean THAT much to me. There is NO amount of money to get me naked. I'm not up for sale. 
I do not put others down for being willing to do nudes, nor do I ever wonder why they choose to do nude modeling. Not sure why it is such a question as to why some of us don't.

That's all I've got to say about that, lol. big_smile

I can respect your stand.

Jul 31 12 03:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Risen Phoenix Photo
Posts: 1,150
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


As a Photographer who shoot fine art nudes and nude portraits, over 200 shoots per year... I have always worked to make the model feel safe and comfortable .  I shoot many first time nudes, in fact 90% of the models in my port first shot nudes with me.

I never push someone to pose nude. They see my work they check references and we always have a conversation or 2 prior to the shoot.

There are as many reasons why models won't pose nude, while they are all valid, I am always concerned about irrational rational. 

As a photographer who shoots nudes of models who infactualy state they will never shoot nudes, I am very discreet. These nude images are given to the model, and I never post them in my port.
Jul 31 12 06:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Fine Wine
Posts: 226
Orange, California, US


I think reasons can vary.  I have 2 ports on MM.  One is my main port that is visible to "the outside world" and then this port with 18+ pics that is only visible to MM members.

I never thought I would pose nude when starting out.  I keep my ports separate because I don't want nude pictures to interfer with my "day job" in the corporate world. I don't do nude pics with model releases if they show my identity or if they are visible to the "outside world". 

If I was young I would not be posing nude for any price. When a person is young their entire future is ahead of them.  A young person might want to become a high level business executive, a political official or marry one. Nude pictures could come back and haunt someone many years after they are taken and jeopardize a job/relationship down the line.

Of course it depends upon the long term goal of the model for their best decision.

After much debate I decided to post nude pictures here on MM perhaps to make me feel younger than my years.  I also know my career path and have been married 31 years so I don't have the same considerations as someone that is younger.

In my opinion alone, posing nude needs to be made by the model alone after much consideration of the implications down the line. It should't be coaxed or bribed with money.   It needs to be a carefully thought out decision because he or she will have to live with the decision of many years. Plus if a model isn't comfortable posing nude it will show in the pics.

Just my thoughts.
Aug 04 12 08:14 pm  Link  Quote 
first123   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers