login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Worst Excuses Search   Reply
first1234last
Photographer
SugarSharai photography
Posts: 387
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada


Anna Adrielle wrote:
I wonder how many times a photographer thinks the model made some weird excuse when it was actually true... There are plenty of stories of models who have a problem or situation that prevents them from going to a shoot, have the balls to inform the photographer and get called names for it and put on some sot of blacklist.
not cool.

Ive had it happen... I asked to reschedule, because the WHOLE trip (to vancouver from edmoton)  was supposed to be devoted to my long distance boyfriend of almost a year, and i booked some shoots for the week while he is in school, and some photographers wanted to book the weekends, i said yes, realizing after another photographer wanted THAT  same concept the next weekend too (a much more talented advanced photographer as well) ... After im already doing 2 hours plus travel time every day of the week, he is the ONLY photographer i had to book that day, that wanted to book that day, and it was the only day id have a FULL day with my boyfriend... So i cancelled so as to not sideline my boyfriend for TF shoots, that take 4 hours and COULD be one... hmm   Travel time is really what gets me.. But its not like they pay for my gas or anything, i asked him to shoot 2 weeks prior, he booked a studio, and i felt TERRRIBLEE.. But he had another model booked as well.. And i already have the same concept booked later in the week, when i had asked to reschedule, (almost 2 weeks in advance) and he said me asking to reschedule will result in a disservice... ? Are you serious?

I have plenty more other available times tooshoot.. And he choose my one day to my boyfriend. And i agree because i felt bad that he had booked the studio, but obviously he had other models he could work with as well! And i had offered to reschedule the following weekend when i have a shoot scheduled, and i will be to stay the NIGHT near this location, and not have to do travel time so much hmm.   

But i suppose that isnt understandable for certain photographers because they dont seem to have much lives but behind the camera computer and the studio!! sad     

Maybe im in the wrong on this one, but this iiisss MY trip, i can easily find a different photographer more then willing to reschedule, just like he can find a model... Is it too much to ask to reschedule happily?  (lets be honest, his work may or may not even benefit my port ANYWAYS, but with the efforts he offered-studio and all- i didnt want to have to turn him down because he seemed so excited to work with me!)

however i left priority with the more experience photographers ive been waiting to shoot with more... hmm. I do not flake on shoots, does rescheduling seriously not EVER happen to photographers like it does to models? We have lives outside of our modelling career, that we have to choose priorities!!

Sep 16 12 07:49 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Brian T Rickey wrote:
'your mama kept me up to late last night so i'm to tired to shoot'

OH! I love a good "your momma..." anything.

Jen

Sep 16 12 08:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
IMAGINERIES
Posts: 552
New York, New York, US


After a dozen email back and forth and an agreement on a paid shoot..By me
  got the message:
  "not interested. Your portfolio is not good enough"
       She sent it six times just to make sure!!
   I think she did me a great favor I and advised her to contact Terry Richardson
Sep 16 12 06:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Nylon
Posts: 414
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore


Oh I got one from an MUA, 'Oh I can't attend the shoot cos the weather is too hot...' Like helloo lady, this is Singapore, its hot and humid 365 days. So you're just going to avoid all outdoor gigs??? And she had tell us right on the day of the shoot itself without at least trying to find a replacement.... >_
Sep 16 12 09:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Nylon
Posts: 414
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore


Augustine York wrote:
"sorry my mom wont let me"

I actually heard this one before with underage models, me thinks it sounds legit tho. big_smile

Sep 16 12 09:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Top Gun Digital
Posts: 1,190
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


My car got hit by a meteor and it's radioactive so I can't drive it.
Sep 16 12 09:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orcatek Photography
Posts: 1,686
Tempe, Arizona, US


I'm an internet model, what did you expect??
Sep 16 12 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HWM Photography
Posts: 1,382
Chicago, Illinois, US


"What shoot?"
Sep 16 12 09:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mischa Marie
Posts: 7,891
Sacramento, California, US


"Sorry I don't have any gas in my car."

Me- "You could go to the gas station."

"I'll text you later..."

>.> Never texts me later.
Sep 16 12 09:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MoSherri_Charla
Posts: 25
Shreveport, Louisiana, US


Top Gun Digital wrote:
My car got hit by a meteor and it's radioactive so I can't drive it.

lmfao!!!!

Sep 16 12 09:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MoSherri_Charla
Posts: 25
Shreveport, Louisiana, US


HWM Photography wrote:
"What shoot?"

funny!

Sep 16 12 09:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peach Jones
Posts: 6,220
Champaign, Illinois, US


"I just don't feel like shooting today"


but usually there is no excuse
Sep 16 12 09:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ArtiztikFoto
Posts: 265
Saginaw, Michigan, US


Model's port has explicit nudes, profile says she shoots nudes "YES" and profile says "I don't take my clothes off for free." I like her look and message her a legit paid offer for non-explicit nude pin-up shoot to be included in a self-published book. Her reply, "I cannot have nudes published because my ex is an ass and the judge is conservative."

WHAT??? Nudes in port are digitally "published" and in world-wide circulation for her ex-ass and conservative judge and the rest of the world to download for free.

If I cannot publish or sell photos from a paid shoot, what am I paying her for, a private "escort service" show??? I know there are GWC's that pay for just that, but if she is in a custody case, reality check! Waiting to see if she revises her profile.

But I'll give her this much, she actually replied to an offer for paid work, unlike the rest of the models I contact who log in daily and never read their inbox offers. At least the (Message Unread) or (Read) and ignored gives me some clue if a model is really even interested in paid work, or just pretending to be a Real Model to her Faccebook friends.
Sep 16 12 09:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chicchowmein
Posts: 14,348
Palm Beach, Florida, US


Something came up

( yeah the contents of your stomach) I saw her facebook posts from the night before.

I might add she called me at midnight the night before the shoot-- I had been calling earlier to confirm her for the editorial the next AM.

And the next day she messaged me on facebook with 3 unintelligible messages.
One said something came up, I'm sorry.

The next one said something about the location and the next one said I'll be there.

So I checked her facebook page and there were pictures of shots and cocktails with time stamps on them from the night before. This was a MUA not a model. I did get a MUA to replace her at the last minute but she never even gave me the decency of a phone call.
Sep 16 12 09:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peach Jones
Posts: 6,220
Champaign, Illinois, US


Sarah Thiessen wrote:

Ive had it happen... I asked to reschedule, because the WHOLE trip (to vancouver from edmoton)  was supposed to be devoted to my long distance boyfriend of almost a year, and i booked some shoots for the week while he is in school, and some photographers wanted to book the weekends, i said yes, realizing after another photographer wanted THAT  same concept the next weekend too (a much more talented advanced photographer as well) ... After im already doing 2 hours plus travel time every day of the week, he is the ONLY photographer i had to book that day, that wanted to book that day, and it was the only day id have a FULL day with my boyfriend... So i cancelled so as to not sideline my boyfriend for TF shoots, that take 4 hours and COULD be one... hmm   Travel time is really what gets me.. But its not like they pay for my gas or anything, i asked him to shoot 2 weeks prior, he booked a studio, and i felt TERRRIBLEE.. But he had another model booked as well.. And i already have the same concept booked later in the week, when i had asked to reschedule, (almost 2 weeks in advance) and he said me asking to reschedule will result in a disservice... ? Are you serious?

I have plenty more other available times tooshoot.. And he choose my one day to my boyfriend. And i agree because i felt bad that he had booked the studio, but obviously he had other models he could work with as well! And i had offered to reschedule the following weekend when i have a shoot scheduled, and i will be to stay the NIGHT near this location, and not have to do travel time so much hmm.   

But i suppose that isnt understandable for certain photographers because they dont seem to have much lives but behind the camera computer and the studio!! sad     

Maybe im in the wrong on this one, but this iiisss MY trip, i can easily find a different photographer more then willing to reschedule, just like he can find a model... Is it too much to ask to reschedule happily?  (lets be honest, his work may or may not even benefit my port ANYWAYS, but with the efforts he offered-studio and all- i didnt want to have to turn him down because he seemed so excited to work with me!)

however i left priority with the more experience photographers ive been waiting to shoot with more... hmm. I do not flake on shoots, does rescheduling seriously not EVER happen to photographers like it does to models? We have lives outside of our modelling career, that we have to choose priorities!!

You do understand that most studios operate on a "no refunds" basis.....don't you? So when you gave YOUR WORD that you would be there, he laid out his hard earned $$ to book the studio. Based on YOUR WORD.  Rescheduling doesn't mean crap. He lost the $$ for the studio time (doesn't matter if he had other models....perhaps they cancelled too) because he was counting on you being legitimate. As you go along in life, you will quickly understand that people are only as good as their word.

Sep 16 12 09:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark C Smith
Posts: 724
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Sarah Thiessen wrote:
But i suppose that isnt understandable for certain photographers because they dont seem to have much lives but behind the camera computer and the studio!! sad

That's a fairly stupid thing to say. Maybe they give that impression when they've booked time around your agreement to work and come off as upset when you bail.

Sep 17 12 12:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Viator Defessus Photos
Posts: 998
College Station, Texas, US


"I'm Tired."

That's all I got.
Sep 17 12 12:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Matty272
Posts: 216
Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom


Sarah Thiessen wrote:
Difficult to decipher stuff

You had booked to shoot with a bunch of photographers over the space of a couple of weeks.
One was on a day where you decided you wanted to be with your b/f all day. You cancelled this one.
Was the cancellation 2 weeks in advance, or just the booking and you cancelled with shorter notice than 2 weeks? I can't decipher that bit.

If you gave 2 weeks notice to cancel, at least the photographer would have chance to book someone else. If shorter, just how short notice?

I've had models cancel when I've booked studio space in recent months and it's very annoying as it still costs me for the booking. If you cancelled without enough time for the photographer  to book someone else, I can understand why he was annoyed.

Sep 17 12 12:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
gatmen
Posts: 49
Lawton, Oklahoma, US


I got a better deal from another photographer
Sep 17 12 01:11 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Sarah Thiessen wrote:

Ive had it happen... I asked to reschedule, because the WHOLE trip (to vancouver from edmoton)  was supposed to be devoted to my long distance boyfriend of almost a year, and i booked some shoots for the week while he is in school, and some photographers wanted to book the weekends, i said yes, realizing after another photographer wanted THAT  same concept the next weekend too (a much more talented advanced photographer as well) ... After im already doing 2 hours plus travel time every day of the week, he is the ONLY photographer i had to book that day, that wanted to book that day, and it was the only day id have a FULL day with my boyfriend... So i cancelled so as to not sideline my boyfriend for TF shoots, that take 4 hours and COULD be one... hmm   Travel time is really what gets me.. But its not like they pay for my gas or anything, i asked him to shoot 2 weeks prior, he booked a studio, and i felt TERRRIBLEE.. But he had another model booked as well.. And i already have the same concept booked later in the week, when i had asked to reschedule, (almost 2 weeks in advance) and he said me asking to reschedule will result in a disservice... ? Are you serious?

I have plenty more other available times tooshoot.. And he choose my one day to my boyfriend. And i agree because i felt bad that he had booked the studio, but obviously he had other models he could work with as well! And i had offered to reschedule the following weekend when i have a shoot scheduled, and i will be to stay the NIGHT near this location, and not have to do travel time so much hmm.   

But i suppose that isnt understandable for certain photographers because they dont seem to have much lives but behind the camera computer and the studio!! sad     

Maybe im in the wrong on this one, but this iiisss MY trip, i can easily find a different photographer more then willing to reschedule, just like he can find a model... Is it too much to ask to reschedule happily?  (lets be honest, his work may or may not even benefit my port ANYWAYS, but with the efforts he offered-studio and all- i didnt want to have to turn him down because he seemed so excited to work with me!)

however i left priority with the more experience photographers ive been waiting to shoot with more... hmm. I do not flake on shoots, does rescheduling seriously not EVER happen to photographers like it does to models? We have lives outside of our modelling career, that we have to choose priorities!!

I understand what you're saying, but next time, don't say yes to a shoot you don't really want to do wink. even if you gave a notice on time and other options, you shouldn't have said yes to begin with, right?

rescheduling is not the same as flaking, but a lot of photographers get upset about it

Sep 17 12 01:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Kam Arose
Posts: 6,014
Berkeley, California, US


"My mother is in the hospital and I have to go out-of-state."

Would have been a great excuse if I hadn't wound up bumping into him that day while I was shooting with another photographer.
Sep 17 12 01:31 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Kamarose wrote:
"My mother is in the hospital and I have to go out-of-state."

Would have been a great excuse if I hadn't wound up bumping into him that day while I was shooting with another photographer.

auwtsj big_smile

what did you say?

Sep 17 12 01:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RKD Photographic
Posts: 3,263
Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


Sarah Thiessen wrote:
lots of stuff that hurts my head

...and once again reinforces my wish to add her to the "list of llamas I'd never work with" if I could be bothered to start one...

Sep 17 12 04:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Fiore
Posts: 9,170
Pelham, New York, US


She: "I have to cancel, I have a flood in my apartment. Can we reschedule?"

Me rolling eyes: "When do you want to reschedule for?"

She: "Is tomorrow good?"

Me (stopped rolling eyes): "Sure!"

She showed up the next day. Whether her excuse was true or not, she rescheduled immediately - that is all I care about.
Sep 17 12 05:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RKD Photographic
Posts: 3,263
Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


Jeff Fiore wrote:
She: "I have to cancel, I have a flood in my apartment. Can we reschedule?"

Me rolling eyes: "When do you want to reschedule for?"

She: "Is tomorrow good?"

Me (stopped rolling eyes): "Sure!"

She showed up the next day. Whether her excuse was true or not, she rescheduled immediately - that is all I care about.

Could have been something as simple as a disconnected outlet pipe on a washing-machine or dishwasher. I had it happen once when my GF tried to wash too many towels and the drum became unbalanced during the spin-cycle and tipped the machine over in the utility room - takes about two hours to mop up if you don't have carpets... but you don't want to leave it longer than you have to...lol

Sep 17 12 06:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darren Brade
Posts: 2,746
London, England, United Kingdom


Ivanafox wrote:
Got a new camera and don't know how to use it yet

Pmsl at that one.

Sep 17 12 06:52 am  Link  Quote 
Model
The Original Sin
Posts: 13,894
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Don't know if it counts or not, but I recently blew off a shoot where the guy was already getting discounted still work rates, then decided he wanted to shoot fetish content, then tried to lowball me again when I said I wasn't doing fetish content at rates lower than my standard still rates.
Sep 17 12 07:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darren Brade
Posts: 2,746
London, England, United Kingdom


Peach Jones wrote:

You do understand that most studios operate on a "no refunds" basis.....don't you? So when you gave YOUR WORD that you would be there, he laid out his hard earned $$ to book the studio. Based on YOUR WORD.  Rescheduling doesn't mean crap. He lost the $$ for the studio time (doesn't matter if he had other models....perhaps they cancelled too) because he was counting on you being legitimate. As you go along in life, you will quickly understand that people are only as good as their word.

I don't know why people book studios with models they've never worked with before, it's too high a risk.

You're right about thee no-refund policy.

Sep 17 12 09:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darren Brade
Posts: 2,746
London, England, United Kingdom


Jeff Fiore wrote:
She: "I have to cancel, I have a flood in my apartment. Can we reschedule?"

Me rolling eyes: "When do you want to reschedule for?"

She: "Is tomorrow good?"

Me (stopped rolling eyes): "Sure!"

She showed up the next day. Whether her excuse was true or not, she rescheduled immediately - that is all I care about.

Being flooded 4 times from my nice neighbours from hell who live above, I empathise with her situation.

Living in flats can sometimes be a nightmare made by others.

Sep 17 12 09:23 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rhiannon Davis
Posts: 945
Denton, Texas, US


"I can't see out of my right eye."

This is what he told me on the phone at 9 am (the time the shoot was supposed to start). I was already at the location ready to shoot. I had driven nearly 2 hours. I was not pleased.
Sep 17 12 01:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
onecatnodog
Posts: 46
Arvada, Colorado, US


I have a world beater in my opinion from a amazing model that used to be here on this site and I miss her big time.. She was one of my favorites from the first time I captured her image...  Funny thing is I believed her, as she is such a open person or has been with me.. She has been featured 3 times on my Prowler site this year and that's all I'm going to say.. I would love to feature her more if she was still modeling... She calls me and 8:00am and says... "I just can't do the planed shoot today at 10:00am as I'm mentally and physically exhausted from Masturbating all day yesterday."  Moment of silence on the phone on my end, I didn't know what to say... Her next response was  'I did a FTV and got back into town very late last night...  I'm so sorry, I will make it up to you"... Please don't ask for her name as she is someone special to me and I bet any other photographer that was lucky enough to capture her image while she was modeling... onecatnodog
Sep 17 12 08:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cassie Hepler
Posts: 418
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


onecatnodog wrote:
I have a world beater in my opinion from a amazing model that used to be here on this site and I miss her big time.. She was one of my favorites from the first time I captured her image...  Funny thing is I believed her, as she is such a open person or has been with me.. She has been featured 3 times on my Prowler site this year and that's all I'm going to say.. I would love to feature her more if she was still modeling... She calls me and 8:00am and says... "I just can't do the planed shoot today at 10:00am as I'm mentally and physically exhausted from Masturbating all day yesterday."  Moment of silence on the phone on my end, I didn't know what to say... Her next response was  'I did a FTV and got back into town very late last night...  I'm so sorry, I will make it up to you"... Please don't ask for her name as she is someone special to me and I bet any other photographer that was lucky enough to capture her image while she was modeling... onecatnodog

What is an FTV?

Sep 17 12 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photographe
Posts: 2,350
Bristol, England, United Kingdom


Well it's a very honest answer from the masturbator, but one not likely to endear herself to professionals.

Have had people turn up late before, out of breath, dishevelled, dribble on their legs presumably boyfriend in similar state lurking nearby.
Sep 18 12 02:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Big Lamp
Posts: 46
Worcester, England, United Kingdom


How about 'i'm sorry i'm going to be very late, i'm waiting for my squirrel to be picked up'
Sep 18 12 02:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rebecca Christine
Posts: 7,067
Chester, England, United Kingdom


I think it's really funny when someone meets you via Facebook, organises a shoot via Facebook, messages you on Facebook to cancel with some dramatic life threatening reason

And then posts pictures of the party on Facebook without hiding them from you.

I've caught at least 5-10 people lying in similar ways (I held a fashion show, that's why the number is so high haha)
Sep 18 12 03:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rp_photo
Posts: 42,488
Houston, Texas, US


Alabaster Crowley wrote:
I wonder how many of these threads there has been.

As long as a good percentage of those who claim to be models aren't all that serious, I see them being frequent.

Sep 18 12 04:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rp_photo
Posts: 42,488
Houston, Texas, US


Big Lamp Photography wrote:
How about 'i'm sorry i'm going to be very late, i'm waiting for my squirrel to be picked up'

Excuses involving animals are some of the best.

Sep 18 12 04:24 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,670
Saco, Maine, US


The photoshoot was over a month away. I put up a casting call and went with the most enthusiastic model.

E-mails went back an forth for a month. Photoshoot was on a Monday, and we even had a back and forth e-mail that weekend!

I get a very early e-mail from the model on Monday morning the day of the shoot:

"I'm sorry I can't make it. I forgot I have to move today"

WHO forgets they have to move for a month!!!!
Sep 18 12 04:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


"I should have known better."

That's the excuse I make to myself when I book someone that I know will have a reliability problem up front.
Sep 18 12 04:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rp_photo
Posts: 42,488
Houston, Texas, US


MainePaintah wrote:
The photoshoot was over a month away. I put up a casting call and went with the most enthusiastic model.

For anyone other than an experienced pro, enthusiasm over a shoot a month away is vapor, as that is well beyond their typical attention/commitment span.

Sep 18 12 05:04 am  Link  Quote 
first1234last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers