login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > A Question for Nude Models Search   Reply
12last
Artist/Painter
aquarelle
Posts: 1,915
Chicago, Illinois, US


I've recently had the opportunity to work with some llamas who'd never posed nude before.  This came about by my tagging or PMing some non-nude llamas with an invitation to pose nude for me.

It's got me wondering......did you begin posing nude because you were offered an opportunity, or was it more like,  "I'd really like to try nude llamaing."?

In other words, were you self-motivated, or were you a muse who found herself being persuaded?  I'd be interested to hear your experiences.
Dec 04 12 07:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Wynd Mulysa
Posts: 8,609
Berkeley, California, US


aquarelle wrote:
I've recently had the opportunity to work with some models who'd never posed nude before.  This came about by my tagging or PMing some non-nude models with an invitation to pose nude for me.

It's got me wondering......did you begin posing nude because you were offered an opportunity, or was it more like,  "I'd really like to try nude modeling."?

In other words, were you self-motivated, or were you a muse who found herself being persuaded?  I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

My first nude photo shoot was actually a clothed photo shoot, and we had not discussed doing nudes beforehand.  But after a few hours of working together and getting to know each other, the photographer asked me if I'd be interested in posing nude.  I was just beginning to start supporting myself through modeling and I thought posing nude would help a lot.. I had a shoot coming up soon after that with someone who asked me if I wanted to shoot nude and kind of left it open for me to decide, but the pay would be more if I wanted to shoot nude.  So, here I was, already comfortable in front of the camera with a new friend, and I decided that it was a supportive environment for me to try posing nude.  It was great, I really liked the images...  I mean, I still do.

Dec 04 12 07:57 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,623
Boston, Massachusetts, US


I was randomly approached at a bar, in 2005, by a photographer who basically just asked if I wanted to pose nude for him.

No one had ever seen me naked, except for sex partners and maybe a roommate or two, prior to that point.

I did it, enjoyed it, and just sort of never stopped modeling nude.

There was no motivation. Not a lot of thought. It was just an opportunity that seemed exciting, and I've always liked things that were challenging, new, and a little http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.png.
Dec 04 12 08:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
aquarelle
Posts: 1,915
Chicago, Illinois, US


ShivaKitty wrote:
I was randomly approached at a bar, in 2005, by a photographer who basically just asked if I wanted to pose nude for him.

No one had ever seen me naked, except for sex partners and maybe a roommate or two, prior to that point.

I did it, enjoyed it, and just sort of never stopped modeling nude.

There was no motivation. Not a lot of thought. It was just an opportunity that seemed exciting, and I've always liked things that were challenging, new, and a little http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.png.

I'd like to think that when I ask a random stranger about it, that she might be as enthusiastic about it as you were.

Dec 04 12 08:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lynn Elizabeth
Posts: 1,336
Coral Springs, Florida, US


I started when I was asked by a photographer if I would consider posing nude. I was already shooting lingerie and topless so I figured why not. I have been shooting nude work since then and really enjoy it. I love posing artistically and I can honestly say I love seeing others that way as well. It holds a sense of confidence in one's self that is admirable.
Dec 05 12 10:46 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jordan Bunniie
Posts: 1,691
Los Angeles, California, US


It just kinda.. happened for me. I did a small handful of shoots then just started posing nude. Seemed like a natural jump for me.
Dec 05 12 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,781
Belmont, California, US


aquarelle wrote:
I'd like to think that when I ask a random stranger about it, that she might be as enthusiastic about it as you were.

Best of luck with that. ShivaKitty is pretty unique, but who knows, you might get lucky.

Dec 05 12 11:01 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,623
Boston, Massachusetts, US


aquarelle wrote:

I'd like to think that when I ask a random stranger about it, that she might be as enthusiastic about it as you were.

I've always been something of a thrill-junkie.

Dec 05 12 11:04 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
aquarelle
Posts: 1,915
Chicago, Illinois, US


Toto Photo wrote:
Best of luck with that. ShivaKitty is pretty unique, but who knows, you might get lucky.

Actually, I'm surprised at the number of random strangers who are willing to consider a nude modeling request. smile

Dec 05 12 11:46 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MatureModelMM
Posts: 1,138
Detroit, Michigan, US


It just happened for me as well.  I had taken several modelling courses as a teenager, which was fairly common back then but never really did anything about modelling. A couple of years later at around age 19 or 20 one of my girl friends was asked by a man she worked with to model nude for him as he had a new camera and wanted to learn to shoot nudes. I could have gone and modelled alongside her but was too shy to undress in front of a stranger. Another of our close girl friends did go with her and did model as well but kept her underpants on. Afterward I saw some of the pictures and they were beautiful. I regretted not going but realized I simply could not have done it at that time.

When I was 35 and got married, my husband had been a nude figure model for artists since he was about 16. He had an ongoing assignment for a group of artists in a gallery nearby so one evening on my way home from work I stopped by to see what it was all about. After watching a few minutes, I went into the bathroom and got undressed. I came out and stood off to the side until it was time to change poses, then climbed up onto the platform and modelled alongside him for the next two hours. Immediately I started to get requests from some of those artists and some photographers as well and found that I was now confident enough to model in the nude.  A few years later at age 39 I was pregnant and that really gave my modelling a boost as it was around the time that Demi Moore and others were nude in big magazines while they were pregnant.
Dec 05 12 12:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
ISM
Posts: 119
Chicago, Illinois, US


I wanted to try the more artistic side of modeling. As a fashion model, you don't get much creative license. I thought that might change if I dropped the agencies in favor of freelance fashion modeling and that did allow me more input and freedom in my fashion work but still I craved more. That's when I ventured into nude modeling. smile
Dec 05 12 12:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
Two Pears Studio
Posts: 3,376
Wilmington, Delaware, US


I would say 1 in 3 figure paintings are women who have no nude experience at all... either they are friends or wives of friends or even complete strangers...

Most often the conversation starts with them proposing posing with clothes and by the time we get to a date and time they want to pose nude.
Dec 05 12 12:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
aquarelle
Posts: 1,915
Chicago, Illinois, US


MatureModelMM wrote:
It just happened for me as well.  I had taken several modelling courses as a teenager, which was fairly common back then but never really did anything about modelling. A couple of years later at around age 19 or 20 one of my girl friends was asked by a man she worked with to model nude for him as he had a new camera and wanted to learn to shoot nudes. I could have gone and modelled alongside her but was too shy to undress in front of a stranger. Another of our close girl friends did go with her and did model as well but kept her underpants on. Afterward I saw some of the pictures and they were beautiful. I regretted not going but realized I simply could not have done it at that time.

When I was 35 and got married, my husband had been a nude figure model for artists since he was about 16. He had an ongoing assignment for a group of artists in a gallery nearby so one evening on my way home from work I stopped by to see what it was all about. After watching a few minutes, I went into the bathroom and got undressed. I came out and stood off to the side until it was time to change poses, then climbed up onto the platform and modelled alongside him for the next two hours. Immediately I started to get requests from some of those artists and some photographers as well and found that I was now confident enough to model in the nude.  A few years later at age 39 I was pregnant and that really gave my modelling a boost as it was around the time that Demi Moore and others were nude in big magazines while they were pregnant.

That's a great story!

Dec 05 12 02:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Barely StL
Posts: 879
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


If a model says she doesn't do nudes but also indicates that she has thought about it, I tell her I'll never ask her to do nudes - and ask her to tell me when/if she decides to.
Dec 05 12 03:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
CRIMSON REIGN
Posts: 813
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Do what's in your comfort zone...period! When you want to explore that genre, use a photographer that you're comfortable with.
Dec 05 12 06:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Catnapping
Posts: 3,774
Lakeville, Massachusetts, US


I was looking for more dance teaching jobs on craigslist, and found an ad posted by a photographer needing dancers for art models. I had no idea what an art model was, but I figured dance + naked couldn't be that far of a reach for me. I intended to have that as a one-time thing, but somehow ended up not stopping.
Dec 05 12 06:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
a raw muse
Posts: 3,194
New York, New York, US


Catnapping wrote:
I was looking for more dance teaching jobs on craigslist, and found an ad posted by a photographer needing dancers for art models. I had no idea what an art model was, but I figured dance + naked couldn't be that far of a reach for me. I intended to have that as a one-time thing, but somehow ended up not stopping.

d'oh

(same person different account)

Dec 05 12 06:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
sally mall
Posts: 15
Albany, New York, US


I was always OK with it, wanted to do it. Was happy when asked and I find it most comfortable...
Dec 05 12 06:51 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,975
Austin, Texas, US


Because I wanted to, then someone offered to shoot with me who did nudes, and so I accepted because he was good.
Dec 05 12 07:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jen B
Posts: 3,126
Hopkinsville, Kentucky, US


aquarelle wrote:
I've recently had the opportunity to work with some models who'd never posed nude before.  This came about by my tagging or PMing some non-nude models with an invitation to pose nude for me.

It's got me wondering......did you begin posing nude because you were offered an opportunity, or was it more like,  "I'd really like to try nude modeling."?

In other words, were you self-motivated, or were you a muse who found herself being persuaded?  I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

I had an artistic concept I wanted to shoot and then I found a casting by an amazing photographer, who happened to shoot nudes primarily. I emailed badly and started threads and replied ad nauseum about it, and all badly.

In the end he did shoot with me and I had fully thought through the idea of nudes and art and was the one who felt I'd be loosing out if it didn't happen.

I'm very glad about it as it is another entire area of expression and modeling that is meaningful to me.

Jen

Dec 05 12 07:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
- Aina -
Posts: 747
Redlands, California, US


I posed nude on my first shoot I ever did. It didn't so much bother me as I wanted to do something /I/ was interested in. It was a bit of an experimental thing. Then, as I shot, I realized it didn't bother me and I was quite comfortable. It took off from there. smile I prefer artistic nudes over glamour any day, but being naked is being naked and I enjoy it.
Dec 05 12 07:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kaley King
Posts: 1,027
Jefferson City, Missouri, US


I found this site, and was like you know what...I'd like to try and shoot nude...and my first shoot the photographer was really cool, and I liked the pics so I decided to stick with it.
Dec 05 12 07:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lorayne York
Posts: 2,120
Wichita, Kansas, US


it was definitely my choice, not because someone asked. usually i ask the photographers if i can get nude.. cause implied shots tend to turn out better... or maybe it's my lack of posing with clothes.
Dec 05 12 08:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
SSModel
Posts: 30
Los Angeles, California, US


I started stripping because it was something I wanted to do and I had thought about. Being the center of attention and desire and also being naughty were exciting to me and making lots of money to boot was icing on the cake.

Nude modeling I imagine is the same most woman have thought about it and at some point decided to go for it.
Dec 06 12 05:46 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Avonelle
Posts: 167
Toledo, Ohio, US


I never really thought about modeling, until one of my friends had a nude shoot scheduled. I had always been a supershy girl, but she asked if I wanted to come with her, showed me picture to the photographers, and they really wanted me to come. I was pretty nervous, but as soon as I got out of my clothes, I felt natural and free. The photographers were super friendly and professional, I didn't feel awkward at all, and there wasn't anything erotic about it. No adult stuff, just prancing around being naked. When they showed me the pictures afterwards, I couldn't believe it. I had never thought of myself as pretty before, but in a few of those pictures, I saw myself as downright beautiful, and that was such a mindblowing shock.

To top it off, I made almost an entire month of rent in a single three hour shoot, more than I made in two weeks at my retail job. Blew my mind. Good money, plus getting to feel beautiful and having a ton of amazing fun with professional people? Yeaaaah, I was hooked pretty quick.
Dec 06 12 04:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
aquarelle
Posts: 1,915
Chicago, Illinois, US


Avonelle wrote:
I never really thought about modeling, until one of my friends had a nude shoot scheduled. I had always been a supershy girl, but she asked if I wanted to come with her, showed me picture to the photographers, and they really wanted me to come. I was pretty nervous, but as soon as I got out of my clothes, I felt natural and free. The photographers were super friendly and professional, I didn't feel awkward at all, and there wasn't anything erotic about it. No adult stuff, just prancing around being naked. When they showed me the pictures afterwards, I couldn't believe it. I had never thought of myself as pretty before, but in a few of those pictures, I saw myself as downright beautiful, and that was such a mindblowing shock.

To top it off, I made almost an entire month of rent in a single three hour shoot, more than I made in two weeks at my retail job. Blew my mind. Good money, plus getting to feel beautiful and having a ton of amazing fun with professional people? Yeaaaah, I was hooked pretty quick.

Thanks for sharing this, Avonelle.  I've heard similar stories from first time models, but none has put it as beautifully as you did.  I like to think that I've been a part of some models having similar discoveries. 

Although the pleasures of being an artist are many, your experience makes me wish I could have the same thrill as you have had as a model.  Maybe I should try it.  Nah, you wouldn't wanna see that.

Dec 06 12 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Loli Scotch
Posts: 78
Austin, Texas, US


I was a nudist before a model, so my modeling started out nude and now I'm trying to figure out how to transition to clothing!  Hah!  Go figure, right?
Dec 06 12 10:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


aquarelle wrote:
I've recently had the opportunity to work with some models who'd never posed nude before.  This came about by my tagging or PMing some non-nude models with an invitation to pose nude for me.

It's got me wondering......did you begin posing nude because you were offered an opportunity, or was it more like,  "I'd really like to try nude modeling."?

In other words, were you self-motivated, or were you a muse who found herself being persuaded?  I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

My first shoot was a nude one. Why? I decided to do the type of shoot that made me the most uncomfortable first. I figured if I could get over my apprehension early on, anything else would be comfortable. In my case, it worked like a charm. smile

Dec 07 12 02:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
silenced siren
Posts: 158
Los Angeles, California, US


My second shoot was nude, The first one was suppossed to be nude but the photographer got weird about my escort and didn't feel comfortable asking. As it was my first shoot I kinda was like uh... ok.

It's something I wanted to do. I wanted to make something beautiful while I still look nice cause it won't look this way forever smile
Dec 07 12 06:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jillian Monica
Posts: 275
Kingston, Pennsylvania, US


I started out posing for artists.  I was so comfortable, so I started nude modeling.  It's so much easier .........you don't have to bring a bunch of clothes.  ; )
Dec 08 12 12:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Shandra Stark
Posts: 13,612
Los Angeles, California, US


Myspace was king.  I posted in a bunch of photography forums saying I was a new llama looking for experience.

Got a few messages back, two for nude shoots.  One for a thesis/gallery show, the other for an amazing artist in Chicago.  Never thought about it prior. 

This was their need, I had the ability to fill said need, got the job done.
Dec 08 12 04:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
aquarelle
Posts: 1,915
Chicago, Illinois, US


Shandra Stark wrote:
Myspace was king.  I posted in a bunch of photography forums saying I was a new model looking for experience.

Got a few messages back, two for nude shoots.  One for a thesis/gallery show, the other for an amazing artist in Chicago.  Never thought about it prior. 

This was their need, I had the ability to fill said need, got the job done.

Interesting story, Shandra.  Always loved your work.

Dec 09 12 01:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,327
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


I started off with implied nudity, or partial nudity. I figured I was comfortable enough to go with the next logical step, full nudity. Haven't looked back.
Dec 09 12 02:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Fine Wine
Posts: 226
Orange, California, US


I had some "wardrobe" malfunctions when doing some lingerie/boudoir shoots.  My hubby said he liked those pictures best and would like to see more of me wearing less. So last Christmas I decided to do some nude pics just for my hubby.

He really liked the pictures and said that I should post them. He said he is proud of me and is fine with me modeling nude as long as he is the only one that touches.  Thus the start of my "Fine Wine" profile.
Dec 09 12 05:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Isis22
Posts: 2,554
Muncie, Indiana, US


I was asked to pose by someone I met in college and had stayed in and out of contact with over the years. It took him months to get up the nerve to ask me to pose. It took me weeks to agree to it. It was fully nude so I really thought about it first. I have posed for my friend another time since. I think my first experience is why I prefer being nude rather than clothes. I am more comfortable. No worrying about how the clothes look or if they are falling the right way.
Dec 11 12 06:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
aquarelle
Posts: 1,915
Chicago, Illinois, US


Isis22 wrote:
I was asked to pose by someone I met in college and had stayed in and out of contact with over the years. It took him months to get up the nerve to ask me to pose. It took me weeks to agree to it. It was fully nude so I really thought about it first. I have posed for my friend another time since. I think my first experience is why I prefer being nude rather than clothes. I am more comfortable. No worrying about how the clothes look or if they are falling the right way.

I have a wonderful friend who would be a terrific nude model.  We've been close for several years, and have traveled together and shared a lot over the years.  I would love to ask her to pose for me, but I worry about altering our friendship.  She knows my nude work, and says she once posed nude for a boyfriend when she was much younger.  Your story gives me a some courage.

Dec 11 12 09:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MatureModelMM
Posts: 1,138
Detroit, Michigan, US


aquarelle wrote:
I have a wonderful friend who would be a terrific nude model.  We've been close for several years, and have traveled together and shared a lot over the years.  I would love to ask her to pose for me, but I worry about altering our friendship.  She knows my nude work, and says she once posed nude for a boyfriend when she was much younger.  Your story gives me a some courage.

It wouldn't hurt to ask if you are really good friends. The most she can say is that she isn't comfortable with the idea, but if you are truly good friends she should not be offended that you asked her. She might even consider it a compliment that you think she would make a good nude model for your style of work even if she declines your offer.

I feel honored when one of my friends asks me to model in the nude for them, which has happened three times. They all knew that I was doing that sort of modelling and they were studying art or learning photography at the time. I would be open to modelling for most of my friends if they asked me.

Dec 13 12 09:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ashley Riot
Posts: 120
Chicago, Illinois, US


I began because I was approached by a newspaper photographer who claimed he loved my shape and wanted to do a nude shoot with my very badly. It began there, and just stemmed off to more paid work from there.
Dec 13 12 11:12 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
aquarelle
Posts: 1,915
Chicago, Illinois, US


MatureModelMM wrote:

It wouldn't hurt to ask if you are really good friends. The most she can say is that she isn't comfortable with the idea, but if you are truly good friends she should not be offended that you asked her. She might even consider it a compliment that you think she would make a good nude model for your style of work even if she declines your offer.

I feel honored when one of my friends asks me to model in the nude for them, which has happened three times. They all knew that I was doing that sort of modelling and they were studying art or learning photography at the time. I would be open to modelling for most of my friends if they asked me.

Your words are very encouraging.  I think my hesitance stems from the fact that I've harbored the fantasy of my friend posing nude for me for such a long time, that I'm afraid if she says no, it will be revealed to me as just that--a fantasy.

Instead of enjoying imagining her someday posing for me, I'd have to accept that it will never happen.  But I may have time working in my favor.  She's almost 45, and  her vanity might compel her to entertain the thought now before too much more time passes.

Dec 13 12 10:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Nicolette
Posts: 12,698
Midland, Texas, US


I was told, "man, this shot would make an amazing nude.."

So without thinking about it, I got nude. We shot nudes. I wanted to get the best shots possible.
Dec 14 12 09:08 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply