login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Accents that throw me. Search   Reply
123last
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


I do not want to sound racist, though this topic will be on the edge of it though.

I was watching a movie the other day (Howling III) and the accent of one of the Black(Nor sure if he was a true aboriginal or not) actors threw me off so bad it was funny.

I don't exactly know if its a sterotype or if I am just used to certain accents but it just seems funny to me to hear someone speaking in a hilarious accent that seem so out of place for them. For example A black man speaking with a British accent.(Big Guy Richie fan)

An American accent(not that Yo Yo gangsta talk) Caribbean or even Kenyan accents I am comfortable with but anything else just makes me laugh.

I have not tested this with Latinos or Asains yet but I will let you know when I get to experience that little barrel of fun.


Oh and Canada thank you for blowing my mind with french speaking "Gangstas".
I do not care how hardcore badass, a gang banging Homie you are, if you speak French I will laugh at you.
Jan 09 13 02:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
intense_puppy
Posts: 862
Brighton, England, United Kingdom


Ronin_LLC wrote:
I do not want to sound racist

yikes

Jan 09 13 04:01 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


wow
Jan 09 13 04:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
lynden
Posts: 8,562
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


Right, you live in Kentucky.
Jan 09 13 04:53 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


lyndens wrote:
Right, you live in Kentucky.

Yeah but I travel and get to meet all types of people but weird combinations of people and accents still make me laugh.

I think an Asian with a heavy German accent would be hilarious.

Though now that I think about it I have heard a Latino with a french accent and its not really that weird.

And the guy's dialog in the movie was seriously horribly stereotypically "Australian".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_yb51cJUyg
Careful some of his lines may make you laugh so hard you shit your pants.

Jan 09 13 05:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Kerrek
Posts: 1,387
Orlando, Florida, US


Would you think it's hilarious if I said people from Kentucky sound ridiculous?

I don't understand why you think accents are "hilarious" if they don't fit your "normal" mold.
Jan 09 13 05:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


Just how dumb you appear to be depends on where you're from and where you're standing when you open your mouth.

Think about it.
Jan 09 13 05:59 am  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


Some places are more diverse than others.  Before a person has been really exposed to true multiculturalism, these kinds of attitudes or opinions tend to take place.
Jan 09 13 06:03 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Michael Kerrek wrote:
I don't understand why you think accents are "hilarious" if they don't fit your "normal" mold.

Things are that different I find amusing. If you are not used to it you will find it a little jarring when it jumps right out at you.


Wouldn't you find it amusing if you were in an Alaskan Eskimo village and everyone there sounded like a guy from South Brooklyn?

Different isn't bad, in most cases its good or in this case funny.

Jan 09 13 07:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
V Laroche
Posts: 2,745
New Orleans, Louisiana, US


smh
Jan 09 13 07:37 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Caperucita Roja
Posts: 11,541
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


What does to 'throw you' mean in that sense please?

Accents that I don't find particularly pleasing to the ear, Liverpudlian, Jeordie and Bangladeshi.

In the same way we don't enjoy hearing certain songs, people can dislike certain other sound patterns too. I don't dislike anyone from those places, I just don't enjoy the accents.
Jan 09 13 07:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 11,835
Maricopa, Arizona, US


Caperucita Roja wrote:
What does to 'throw you' mean in that sense please?

Accents that I don't find particularly pleasing to the ear, Liverpudlian, Jeordie and Bangladeshi.

In the same way we don't enjoy hearing certain songs, people can dislike certain other sound patterns too. I don't dislike anyone from those places, I just don't enjoy the accents.

I kind of get what the OP is saying (I think). My family is Vietnamese and they all have Vietnamese accents  **except** for one of my brother's in law who lives in Birmingham, U.K. - his kids were born and raised there. They look Vietnamese but sure sound like Brits (because, well, they are).

Jan 09 13 08:44 am  Link  Quote 
Model
immateria
Posts: 15,446
Brooklyn, New York, US


I think people are throwing the OP out of proportion.

My boyfriend has an an Asian coworker with a heavy Scottish accent. You don't exactly see that coming.
Jan 09 13 08:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
D0127H
Posts: 1,135
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


Everyone has an accent, even Kentuckians ; )
Jan 09 13 08:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Caperucita Roja wrote:
What does to 'throw you' mean in that sense please?

Its just a mild shock that you just don't expect, like someone jumping out of a closet at you or a pleasant surprise like digging into what you think is a jelly doughnut only to find out its a custard doughnut which is awesome cause Custard doughnuts are better.

Yeah I have that "You racist bastard" thought at myself when the whole Black guy with a British accent thing sneaks up on me.

Jan 09 13 08:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


immateria wrote:
I think people are throwing the OP out of proportion.

My boyfriend has an an Asian coworker with a heavy Scottish accent. You don't exactly see that coming.

Exactly.

Jan 09 13 08:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 11,835
Maricopa, Arizona, US


immateria wrote:
I think people are throwing the OP out of proportion.

My boyfriend has an an Asian coworker with a heavy Scottish accent. You don't exactly see that coming.

This! This is what I was trying to convey. Thank you.

Jan 09 13 08:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leo Howard
Posts: 6,730
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Hey, we all have an accent to someone in the world. I remember when i first moved to Phoenix from Chicago 20+ years ago, we were at some swap meet / flee market thing and one of the vendors I was talking to asked me where I was from because of my accent, I was like "Accent? ME?" I don't have an accent, never did, well to me I don't.

Now, people from Kentucky, they have ACCENTS, I know, most of my family is from Kentucky, there were times growing up when we would visit that I had to ask my parents what my relative was saying.


immateria wrote:
I think people are throwing the OP out of proportion.

My boyfriend has an an Asian coworker with a heavy Scottish accent. You don't exactly see that coming.

You have a slight accent too, very slight, but there is one wink

Jan 09 13 08:54 am  Link  Quote 
Model
immateria
Posts: 15,446
Brooklyn, New York, US


Leo Howard wrote:
Hey, we all have an accent to someone in the world. I remember when i first moved to Phoenix from Chicago 20+ years ago, we were at some swap meet / flee market thing and one of the vendors I was talking to asked me where I was from because of my accent, I was like "Accent? ME?" I don't have an accent, never did, well to me I don't.

Now, people from Kentucky, they have ACCENTS, I know, most of my family is from Kentucky, there were times growing up when we would visit that I had to ask my parents what my relative was saying.



You have a slight accent too, very slight, but there is one wink

It's more like a speech impediment tongue

Jan 09 13 09:01 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Leo Howard wrote:
Hey, we all have an accent to someone in the world. I remember when i first moved to Phoenix from Chicago 20+ years ago, we were at some swap meet / flee market thing and one of the vendors I was talking to asked me where I was from because of my accent, I was like "Accent? ME?" I don't have an accent, never did, well to me I don't.

Its not the accent per say its our expectation of the accent.

For example if you were to see me coming over to have a conversion with you, you would assume I would speak with an American accent of what ever regional dialect.

You wouldn't expect, as an above poster said, and asian guy to have a heavy Scottish accent but it would be funny.

Leo Howard wrote:
Now, people from Kentucky, they have ACCENTS, I know, most of my family is from Kentucky, there were times growing up when we would visit that I had to ask my parents what my relative was saying.

A lot of people in Kentucky have varying levels of accent depending on what part of the state.

I actually have NO Kentucky accent. I actually have a British sounding accent( long story) but when I put on an America accent to hide it, it sounds muddly generic because I went to school in Ohio.

Yeah I too have to guess at what people around here are talking about when they talk.

Jan 09 13 09:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leo Howard
Posts: 6,730
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Ronin_LLC wrote:
Its not the accent per say its our expectation of the accent.

For example if you were to see me coming over to have a conversion with you, you would assume I would speak with an American accent of what ever regional dialect.

You wouldn't expect, as an above poster said, and asian guy to have a heavy Scottish accent but it would be funny. re are talking about when they talk.

You mean like this guy

http://www.larryweaver.com/comedy/asian-comedian/asian-comedian_250.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_3xxQXgFs

Jan 09 13 09:10 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JadeDRed
Posts: 5,300
London, England, United Kingdom


I find lots of accents and slang fun and funny. People often make fun of mine, i dont mind.

The best ones are the combinations of accents you get from immigrants, like indian cockney, or chinese brummy.

It always gives me a little snigger to hear a scottish person say 'country'.

I smile a little inside when my Northern Irish cousin say 'so it is' after everything.

And the many hilarious faux pas that can come about from the UK/US usage of the word fanny.

Its only offensive to me if you a) act like that person should be speaking some other way to please you, b) act like there is something wrong with the way they speak or c) imply seriously that the way they speak is some reflection on a part of their character, i.e. that i am stupid because you think the Essex accent is 'common', or that a scouser must be a thief, or whatever other stupid stereotypes people come out with.

Edit : To distinguish from the above post when i speak of dual accents i dont mean people who look indian but speak cockney or anything like that, i mean the (usually) slang and the like that foreigners pick up from speech (rather from the written word) and so say without a hint of accent alongside their heavily accented regular speech, 'mate' is usually a good example of this wink

I think its nice to have the variety.
Jan 09 13 09:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Snowmonkey Design
Posts: 4,633
London, England, United Kingdom


immateria wrote:
I think people are throwing the OP out of proportion.

My boyfriend has an an Asian coworker with a heavy Scottish accent. You don't exactly see that coming.

hmm, weird, for me this is not bizarre...not been to Scotland recently but it's not unusual..there is a large Asian population there  not as large as in Yorkshire...similarly if you go to Bradford..there are many Indians or Pakistanis who speak with a heavy Bradford dialect or Leeds...because they were born there...and it is the language they learn. For the record any Yorkshire Dialect is very beautiful to listen to..and in my view sexy. 
Also and I have never been to the USA but I would imagine someone of Chinese origin who has grown up there would have an American accent in whatever dialect that area was...surely it would be weird if they did not have that dialect.

Jan 09 13 09:12 am  Link  Quote 
Model
a raw muse
Posts: 2,941
Brooklyn, New York, US


O.O

Um... Yesterday I was in Manhattan, and heard:

A Korean-looking person speaking with a British accent, walking with their Caucasian-looking boyfriend also speaking a British accent
A blonde-haired, blue-eyed person speaking with their child in very fast Spanish (I'm guessing from Puerto Rico based on the accent)
A very dark-skinned person speaking with a British accent (I'm guessing they learned British English in school, since that is the norm in most of the world)

This whole post... why...
Jan 09 13 09:12 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


indefinite anomaly wrote:
O.O

Um... Yesterday I was in Manhattan, and heard:

A Korean-looking person speaking with a British accent, walking with their Caucasian-looking boyfriend also speaking a British accent
A blonde-haired, blue-eyed person speaking with their child in very fast Spanish (I'm guessing from Puerto Rico based on the accent)
A very dark-skinned person speaking with a British accent (I'm guessing they learned British English in school, since that is the norm in most of the world)

This whole post... why...

The point is that is awesome and cool.

Jan 09 13 09:18 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Lisa Andresen
Posts: 8,664
Peoria, Illinois, US


Ya I get were your coming from like the starburst commercial with the Korean that had a Scottish accent lol it was hilarious. It probably wasn't real but that commercial made me laugh. =]
Jan 09 13 09:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JadeDRed
Posts: 5,300
London, England, United Kingdom


Ronin_LLC wrote:
Yeah I have that "You racist bastard" thought at myself when the whole Black guy with a British accent thing sneaks up on me.

Yeh, that one is a bit weird, there are lots of black British people. Maybe its how we are presented to you but i wouldn't say they lack visibility in our media or anything.

Jan 09 13 09:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MKPhoto
Posts: 5,664
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


Ronin_LLC wrote:

If you say it flat and without context, it is kind of stupid.

When you add right context to it, it turns into a fodder for stand-up comedians, jokes, and other moments of "cognitive dissonance and general hilarity".

In our little corner of the universe the notion of skin color and of accent is quickly dissolving. We are people who speak English.

Jan 09 13 09:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Leo Howard wrote:

You mean like this guy

http://www.larryweaver.com/comedy/asian-comedian/asian-comedian_250.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_3xxQXgFs

Exactly.

If I was standing on a street corner in Japan and you came up to me to ask directions I would look you straight in the eye and start speaking only Japanese, just to freak you out.(yes I can speak some Japanese)

Sometimes our expectations can play fun tricks on us.

Jan 09 13 09:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wander Lost Photo
Posts: 18,929
Riverside, California, US


immateria wrote:
I think people are throwing the OP out of proportion.

My boyfriend has an an Asian coworker with a heavy Scottish accent. You don't exactly see that coming.

Starburst did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Z5s8BKric

Jan 09 13 09:32 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cy_n
Posts: 294
Saarbr├╝cken, Saarland, Germany


Ronin_LLC wrote:

Leo Howard wrote:
Hey, we all have an accent to someone in the world. I remember when i first moved to Phoenix from Chicago 20+ years ago, we were at some swap meet / flee market thing and one of the vendors I was talking to asked me where I was from because of my accent, I was like "Accent? ME?" I don't have an accent, never did, well to me I don't.

Its not the accent per say its our expectation of the accent.

For example if you were to see me coming over to have a conversion with you, you would assume I would speak with an American accent of what ever regional dialect.

You wouldn't expect, as an above poster said, and asian guy to have a heavy Scottish accent but it would be funny.


A lot of people in Kentucky have varying levels of accent depending on what part of the state.

I actually have NO Kentucky accent. I actually have a British sounding accent( long story) but when I put on an America accent to hide it, it sounds muddly generic because I went to school in Ohio.

Yeah I too have to guess at what people around here are talking about when they talk.

Your thread and statements are just hilarious and  discriminating  .I suggest you do some research before writing wink

Jan 09 13 09:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Svend
Posts: 25,122
Boulder, Colorado, US


Is this one of those, "No offense, but..."  type of statements?
Jan 09 13 09:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Cy_n wrote:

Your thread and statements are just hilarious and  discriminating  .I suggest you do some research before writing wink

Not entirely sure you used discriminating correctly here. If you did, thank you for the complement.

If you meant discrimination which has a completely different meaning, which I think you did from your follow up comment on research, then you are misreading into it your own expectations and assumptions.

I find expectant surprises like this fun and they give me great stories to share later on with friends.

Jan 09 13 09:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 35,977
Columbus, Ohio, US


Ronin_LLC wrote:
I do not want to sound racist, though this topic will be on the edge of it though.

I was watching a movie the other day (Howling III) and the accent of one of the Black(Nor sure if he was a true aboriginal or not) actors threw me off so bad it was funny.

I don't exactly know if its a sterotype or if I am just used to certain accents but it just seems funny to me to hear someone speaking in a hilarious accent that seem so out of place for them. For example A black man speaking with a British accent.(Big Guy Richie fan)

An American accent(not that Yo Yo gangsta talk) Caribbean or even Kenyan accents I am comfortable with but anything else just makes me laugh.

I have not tested this with Latinos or Asains yet but I will let you know when I get to experience that little barrel of fun.


Oh and Canada thank you for blowing my mind with french speaking "Gangstas".
I do not care how hardcore badass, a gang banging Homie you are, if you speak French I will laugh at you.

Just because...

Jan 09 13 09:40 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cy_n
Posts: 294
Saarbr├╝cken, Saarland, Germany


Ronin_LLC wrote:

Not entirely sure you used discriminating correctly here. If you did, thank you for the complement.

If you meant discrimination which has a completely different meaning, which I think you did from your follow up comment on research, then you are misreading into it your own expectations and assumptions.

I find expectant surprises like this fun and they give me great stories to share later on with friends.

Well calling Canadians Gangstas ,come on who the heck do you think you are ?What's so random about with a Black guy having a British accent?

Jan 09 13 09:45 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Cy_n wrote:
Well calling Canadians Gangstas ,come on who the heck do you think you are ?

I did not call all Canadians Gangstas, I am talking about the Canadian Gangs in cities like Montreal. They look exactly the same as LA or NYC Gangs but the speak predominantly french.

If these guys:
http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/401/cache/gangbangers-and-guns_40168_600x450.jpg

Pointed a gun at me and said: "Give me your wallet." I would shit my pants in fear.
Pointed a gun at me and said: "Donnez-moi votre porte-monnaie" I would piss my self from laughing too hard.

French just does not lend its self well to threads for me.

Cy_n wrote:
What's so random about with a Black guy having a British accent?

For Americans its just not that common. American, Caribbian or African accents we kinda expect that. If you want to blame TV and movies I would agree with you.

Most of the british speaking people I have met are usually Caucasian or at least Mediterranean.

Jan 09 13 10:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andialu
Posts: 14,029
San Pedro, California, US


Ronin_LLC wrote:

Cy_n wrote:
Well calling Canadians Gangstas ,come on who the heck do you think you are ?

I did not call all Canadians Gangstas, I am talking about the Canadian Gangs in cities like Montreal. They look exactly the same and LA or NYC Gangs but the speak predominantly french.

If these guys:
http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/401/cache/gangbangers-and-guns_40168_600x450.jpg

Pointed a gun at me and said: "Give me your wallet." I would shit my pants in fear.
Pointed a gun at me and said: Donnez-moi votre porte-monnaie" I would piss my self from laughing too hard.

French just does not lend its self well to threads for me.


For Americans its just not that common. American, Caribbian or African accents we kinda expect that. If you want to blame TV and movies I would agree with you.

Most of the british speaking people I have met are usually Caucasian or at least Mediterranean.

Yeah, I'm sure you'd do that.

Jan 09 13 10:09 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Andialu wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure you'd do that.

I actually have laughed at a Montreal "gangsta" who was posturing and trying to be threatening and tough, but all he spoke was french. It was just so funny.

It probably wouldn't have been funny if he and his friends kicked my teeth in, but rolling on the floor laughing was not a response they were used to so they just left.

Jan 09 13 10:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andialu
Posts: 14,029
San Pedro, California, US


Ronin_LLC wrote:

I actually have laughed at a Montreal "gangsta" who was posturing and trying to be threatening and tough, but all he spoke was french. It was just so funny.

It probably wouldn't have been funny if he and his friends kicked my teeth in, but rolling on the floor laughing was not a response they were used to so they just left.

Yeah, I'm sure you did that.

Jan 09 13 10:13 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JadeDRed
Posts: 5,300
London, England, United Kingdom


Ronin_LLC wrote:
Most of the british speaking people I have met are usually Caucasian or at least Mediterranean.

British people are fairly racially diverse, comes from having had an empire i suppose.

Jan 09 13 10:15 am  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers