login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > JC Penney Any Good Search   Reply
Photographer
Jim McSmith
Posts: 762
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom


I got a JC Penney 28mm wide angle lens in Pentax mount. I think JC Penney could be an American brand however I do think it's a Makinon lens. Any good?
Feb 02 13 11:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Al Lock Photography
Posts: 15,832
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand


JC Penney was an American Department Store. I thought they went under about 15 or 20 years ago, but I might be wrong. The lens will just be branded with their name.
Feb 02 13 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim McSmith
Posts: 762
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom


I didn't know they went under. I hope the lens is in the same league as the Nikon 24mm.
Feb 02 13 12:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris Macan
Posts: 12,794
HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US


Al Lock Photography wrote:
JC Penney was an American Department Store. I thought they went under about 15 or 20 years ago, but I might be wrong. The lens will just be branded with their name.

No, JC Penneys is still around.
www.jcp.com

But to the question...
Some of those old JC Penny branded K mount lenses are pretty good.
But really the only way to know if you have a gem is to put it on a camera and test it.

Feb 02 13 12:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Al Lock Photography
Posts: 15,832
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand


Jim McSmith wrote:
I didn't know they went under. I hope the lens is in the same league as the Nikon 24mm.

I very much doubt it. I would expect something of the same quality as the old Nikon E series (although the 75-150 E was a very sharp lens) to be branded with JC Penney's name, not anything approaching Nikkor quality.

Feb 02 13 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vector One Photography
Posts: 2,690
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


Major department store chains such as JCPenny or Sears would "name brand" items they sold. Name branding is putting your name on merchandise that you sell. They could have contracted with any lens company to produce that lens. And based on bids for that year, they would change manufacturers but the lens would remain the same.

In all probability that lens was not made by a primary manufacturer like Nikon or Canon. It could have been made by Soligar, Tamron, or Tokina.
Feb 02 13 12:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Legacys 7
Posts: 33,794
San Francisco, California, US


Jc Penny, Sears and even Kmart use to sell brand glass as well as cameras. I use to own a slr film camera that Sears sold. It shared the Ricoh mount. The glass was good on many of those cameras.
Feb 02 13 12:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Scott Murphy Photo
Posts: 72
Pensacola, Florida, US


Al Lock Photography wrote:
JC Penney was an American Department Store. I thought they went under about 15 or 20 years ago, but I might be wrong. The lens will just be branded with their name.

Nope, they are alive and well, we have one in town.

Feb 02 13 03:05 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,499
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I had a few JCP / Sears primes for my Minolta cameras. Using them with an adapter for my digital cameras - they still work well.
Feb 02 13 03:27 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,254
Baltimore, Maryland, US


I think JC Penny is pretty equivalent to Tesco. Fyiw.
Feb 02 13 03:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Zack Zoll
Posts: 2,385
Glens Falls, New York, US


The earliest JCP lenses were made by Pentax, I believe.  Then came Ricoh and Soligor - I forget what order.  After that, they were more-or-less all nobodies.

So if it's a JCP lens from the early 70s, it might be pretty solid.  If it's late 70s or 80s, it's probably terrible.
Feb 03 13 08:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GER Photography
Posts: 7,756
Imperial, California, US


Al Lock Photography wrote:
JC Penney was an American Department Store. I thought they went under about 15 or 20 years ago, but I might be wrong. The lens will just be branded with their name.

Uh, JC Penny is very much still in business, we pick up their $$$$$ every day!:-)

Feb 03 13 08:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jhono Bashian
Posts: 2,432
Cleveland, Ohio, US


I bought my very first SLR from JC Penny a Minolta SR-T 101 back in 1975.  Also several lens that were pretty darn sharp.

I would say go for it, I'm sure its a decent piece of glass.
Feb 03 13 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
maso-arts
Posts: 1,104
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Legacys 7 wrote:
Jc Penny, Sears and even Kmart use to sell brand glass as well as cameras. I use to own a slr film camera that Sears sold. It shared the Ricoh mount. The glass was good on many of those cameras.

My understanding is that Sears' "Tower" brand cameras were made by Mamiya (35mm) and Graflex (Medium and Large Format), lenses by Mamiya and Vivitar.  Kmart's "Focal" brand was by Yashica and Ricoh.  JCPenny's earliest were (for the first year or so) Pentax, then Ricoh and Cosina.  This info was from an amateur repair guy here in town in the '70s.

Feb 03 13 08:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Legacys 7
Posts: 33,794
San Francisco, California, US


George Ruge wrote:

Uh, JC Penny is very much still in business, we pick up their $$$$$ every day!:-)

Exactly. They were in the news this past week.

Feb 03 13 10:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Legacys 7
Posts: 33,794
San Francisco, California, US


maso-arts wrote:
My understanding is that Sears' "Tower" brand cameras were made by Mamiya (35mm) and Graflex (Medium and Large Format), lenses by Mamiya and Vivitar.  Kmart's "Focal" brand was by Yashica and Ricoh.  JCPenny's earliest were (for the first year or so) Pentax, then Ricoh and Cosina.  This info was from an amateur repair guy here in town in the '70s.

Possible. But I do know for a fact that my old Sears slr camera lens mount was a Ricoh. I know this because when I'd gave my brother my Sear camera, I'd kept the zoom lens and it fitted on my Ricoh camera.

I had the Sears KS Super. The mount was the K mount. Ricoh and Pentax,

Feb 03 13 10:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Backstreet Photography
Posts: 137
Salem, Oregon, US


I have a JCPenny lens {28mm} that i use for my IR images since i don't need tack-sharp perfprmance there.  Acceptable results, especially when stopped down to 5.6-11, but no where near the Nikon/Canon glass quality.  It's a fun lens = you should give it a workout and see if it fits your needs ~ respects,  mike
Feb 03 13 10:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KungPaoChic
Posts: 2,942
West Palm Beach, Florida, US


Al Lock Photography wrote:
I very much doubt it. I would expect something of the same quality as the old Nikon E series (although the 75-150 E was a very sharp lens) to be branded with JC Penney's name, not anything approaching Nikkor quality.

I have an old JC Penney lens. As I recall it was made my Minolta.

JCP is still in business but I don't think they have a camera dept anymore.

Feb 03 13 10:45 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers