login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Are hair products a scam? Search   Reply
first12
Makeup Artist
Rock Victorian
Posts: 142
Norfolk, Virginia, US


I knew this is the way it is, I just didn't realize the extent of it. Fascinating post, Heather!

edit*

re:

Heather J M wrote:
I disagree. While the expensive brands *may* contain less filler chemical and more active ingredient, they are on the whole, all owned by the same parent company and have access to the same laboratory research.
[img]


Jun 18 13 02:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jay Dezelic
Posts: 4,625
Seattle, Washington, US


KungPaoChic wrote:

My statement was a general statement -- not necessarily directed at you.

Different people have different texture and different types of hair and it has nothing to do with what they put in their body. That is the way it grows out of their head.


We bathe horses -- athletes that are fed organic and balanced everything. I am not talking about your everyday backyard variety animal here. I am talking about show horses and polo ponies at the top of their game.

They would never have the level of shine and appearance that they do without shampoo ( that is specially PH balanced and developed for horses)


People also rarely bathed back in the day -- and frankly they stunk -- they were not consuming chemicals. People also died of Bubonic Plague --

I know vegans, vegetarians and pretty healthy people that don't eat processed foods -- they still wash their hair.

My father is 75 years old and kicks butt on the tennis court - I don't know how old you are but he looks to me to be the same age as you are. He uses shampoo on his hair.

Show me something based on scientific fact and I would  me more inclined to listen to what you have to say.

Why are so many people using horse shampoo?  Is horse hair more similar to humans than humans are to each other?

I never said that people shouldn't stay clean.  I shower every day.  What does avoiding the chemicals in commercial shampoo have to do with not staying clean?

While you may think I look 75, I have been told that I don't look a day over 74. smile

Jun 19 13 10:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KungPaoChic
Posts: 2,881
West Palm Beach, Florida, US


Jay Dezelic wrote:

Why are so many people using horse shampoo?  Is horse hair more similar to humans than humans are to each other?

I never said that people shouldn't stay clean.  I shower every day.  What does avoiding the chemicals in commercial shampoo have to do with not staying clean?

While you may think I look 75, I have been told that I don't look a day over 74. smile

I don't think you look 75.

My father is 75. People think he is 45 - 50. I think he looks a little younger than you though.

People started using horse shampoo because of the study or because it was trendy.

Do I think that a lot of marketing is hype? yes I do. Do I think that shampoo and conditioner  is all marketing conspiracy -- no I don't.

I can talk about my hair and what works for me.  I think that what works on some people might not work on others depending on their hair texture, what is the water and some other things. I also think that a trained hair professional such as my hair dresser is probably more knowledgeable about hair products than you are.

Jun 27 13 09:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Keila Sone
Posts: 120
Harrison, New Jersey, US


my two cents as a hair care professional:

I find that most people use the wrong product for their hair and that most people have no ideas what their hair type is…I had girls with fine hair tell me how thick their hair is 0_o`

Agree that what work for one person doesnt work for everyone,I have curly hair and and I'd just conditioning it as they tell curly girls to do…my hair was so super heavy and grease,plus I started to flake…gross:( I when back to shampooing…I now use alternate between ABBA & SURFACE shampoo bith vegan,my HAIR IS soft and shiny.Pro products cost more beacuse they have more amount and consentration on the essecial oils,which is expensive,for example Shu Uemura hair product are top notch,they are make as all Shu Uemura product with deep sea water and marine plant and other plants…they have send a driving team to extract deep sea water and plant live…thats not cheap which is why it work better than any hair product out there,it is also the reason why retails for $50. per shampoo bottle.

Another sad reason why people get shampoo crew is that people like buy stuff bebase on it smell good. it
Jun 27 13 09:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Keila Sone
Posts: 120
Harrison, New Jersey, US


Jay Dezelic wrote:
Human hair is generally pretty similar in how it grows.  What makes it so different is most likely the chemicals it is exposed to--both what you eat and what you put on your hair.

You have to consider the key component here…"genetics"…some people never smoke and get lung cancer and other live till 90 as a smoker,what will always determent how your body will or will not react to anything will always be genetics…so people even have mild allergies to coconut oil which will cause their hair to flake or slightly itchy or because super oily…something like that no one will realize it's an allergic reason no the product or you have hard water where you live and mix with your shampoo compound will make your hair super dry. My FB is allergic to almost everything,I change shampoos for him 10 times from medicated to organic to vegan,but the only shampoo that makes the flakes stop is MATRIX shampoo and for color hair at that.His genetic make up tells his skin Matrix shampoo is not a foreign compound.
And thats why somethings work for some and not others.

side note: hair is a dead cell…thats a scienfic fact,one is out of your scalp it is not alive,other wise its would hurt badly when you cut it,like cutting your fingers off,there for the only part that adsorb any chemicals is your scalp…everything else it to help you hair stay "looking" healthy and shine and to help keep the scales close and attach special if you color your hair or use heat,some people texture is just agressive looking(frizzy),but does not nessesary mean its damage.

Jun 27 13 09:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Keila Sone
Posts: 120
Harrison, New Jersey, US


Heather J M wrote:

Breakin Chains wrote:
as far as salon brands vs drug store brands.. most salon brands put their $$ into research and rely on the stylist to sell the product via referral, recommendation and trust.. and the drug store brands put their $$ into marketing and celebrity name  dropping..
the "expensive" part can come from either higher standards for quality that  some brands use (like purology, which is vegan), or just the same concept that brand name clothing has: some ppl just wanna pay more for a name.. but in reality, its not the 70's anymore and 12 bucks aint that much to pay for shampoo (EVEN when the drug store stuff is only 7)

I disagree. While the expensive brands *may* contain less filler chemical and more active ingredient, they are on the whole, all owned by the same parent company and have access to the same laboratory research.
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4f983588eab8ea341000004a-960/image.jpg


While I  do agree with on somethings,its also true that all these company where once indendent company that where basic cutting into the parents company's profit …they bought them out so they dont have competition,doesnt secesary mean they change priority in marketing or reseach,in other words if it aint broke do fit it.

Jun 27 13 09:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 711
London, England, United Kingdom


If you care to read on here about mac for example being bought out by lauder you'd realise that it is not without precedent that the new parent company does entirely attempt to fix that which is not broken...
Jun 27 13 10:25 pm  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers