login info join!
Forums > General Industry > What Defines a "Great Body"? Search   Reply
first1234last
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,208
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


eos3_300 wrote:

Yeah but what kind of photographers from those cities ??
We should talk in private
Have you seen Kate Upton ?
Fashion types declare she's a fat ugly cow who doesn't deserve the attention she gets

I'm not worried about fashion. I'm 6 inches too short, my hair is the wrong color, and my skin is too dark. Fashion can kiss my chocolate booty haha.

I'm trying to get into alt & glamour mainly and whatever else falls at my feet.

Jun 10 13 07:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jute of Memphis
Posts: 27
Memphis, Tennessee, US


Every Culture seems to have different standards on the "Perfect" woman.. and those standards change constantly over time.  Models of the runway are the same shape, size, and weight.. for a practical reason.. the designer doesn't need to modify each dress to match each model.. just hires models that prefit the "desired size, shape, and bodytype" that some editor (like Merrill Step in "the Devil Wears Prada") decided was the right one.  I know it sucks.. but you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than make these people admit that they may be wrong.

But just because you can't do runway.. doesn't mean you can't be a model.  You've been in front of my lens.. and you can connect with the camera.. a great quality that's hard to teach.  You're comfortable with your body, and you work at doing it right.  So your hair isn't it's original color (most women dye theirs anyway).  Just keep working at it.
Jun 10 13 07:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Vicky Justiz
Posts: 56
Miami, Florida, US


I would honestly say anyone that looks healthy. Toned. for female models, a nice flat tummy, and thighs that are not TOO thin, but proportionate. I would def. go with hourglass but a fit hourglass, not a flabby hourglass. Models don't have to starve themselves - just eat right, go to the gym, and be confident. Insecurity will always ruin even the best of the best.
Jun 10 13 07:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
eos3_300
Posts: 1,462
Brooklyn, New York, US


Danielle Reid wrote:

I'm not worried about fashion. I'm 6 inches too short, my hair is the wrong color, and my skin is too dark. Fashion can kiss my chocolate booty haha.

I'm trying to get into alt & glamour mainly and whatever else falls at my feet.

You miss the point
You seem to be worried about negative freedback coming from fashion peeps

Jun 10 13 07:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,208
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


So everyone that calls me some variation of "too big" is automatically in fashion? Most of the guys that said lose weight were glamour photogs and even dubbed themselves as such.
Jun 10 13 07:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sabine Luise
Posts: 890
Boston, Massachusetts, US


I missed the whole point of the thread. O_o
Jun 10 13 07:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cree Synster
Posts: 269
Milledgeville, Georgia, US


I love all body types? Seriously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and/or culture. What may seem "big" or "fat" to many Americans is actually "normal" size in Brazil. Example, I tried on a Brazillian style bikini bottom. I'm normally a medium. I was an XL in that particular style of bikini xD

Just find a photographer that wants to work with you. If one doesn't like your figure, another will love it.
Jun 10 13 07:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,208
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Sabine Luise wrote:
I missed the whole point of the thread. O_o

It sort of lost it's meaning...like most threads on every forum

Jun 10 13 09:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
eos3_300
Posts: 1,462
Brooklyn, New York, US


Edit
DP monster
Jun 10 13 09:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
eos3_300
Posts: 1,462
Brooklyn, New York, US


So to summarize What defines a great body....???
The answer depends on who is looking.
This guy likes models bigger than you
NSFW some 18+
http://girlsofmodelmayhem.tumblr.com/
Jun 10 13 09:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,168
New York, New York, US


Angie Scott wrote:

That is not what the typical anorexic person looks like, especially here in Hollywood. Here, girls (whose names I had to remove bc I don't want to be connected to them) literally starve themselves, use injectable HGH and other varied products along the same lines, load up on laxatives, obsessively workout in the gym 6-7 days a week, load up on blow or meth or heroine or GHB (or a combo of those) and literally mimic anorexic tips and tricks you can find on the net such as how eating super super small bites and very slowly can make you feel full faster. I know this bc I've watches them in action & been a part of their lives however short those weeks/months may have been. Those are the actions and lifestyles of women with SEVERE self image/eating disorders. And what is the result? Worship from idiots who would rather have a tight, child-like body to pump on than to get a hard-on for a woman who takes care of herself, eats normally, and isn't a psycho-obsessive self-hating weight watcher. The more people accept this and praise mental illnesses like this the worse off each following generation is going to be. I feel afraid for my kids when I have them. I don't want them to grow up in a world where they are taught to abusive their selves to that extent just to achieve an unrealistic standard of beauty. Now J-lo? Healthy, sexy as F, tight-bodied, curvacious, eats normally, works out regularly and has the respect of millions without having to hurt herself. I respect women like her and Salma Hayack to no end. The rest of those self-hating sacks of sadness need to overdose and take their misery out of this world.

I think you may have fallen victim to the American culture of overweight = healthy, and slender and fit means anorexic.

Anorexia is a mental disease, my friend a clinical psychiatrist treats those kind of patients and it is a far cry from the societal pressure to lose weight.

Different pairs of shoes.

Jun 10 13 09:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Miss Photog
Posts: 287
VALLEY VILLAGE, California, US


there are no "MM photography standards," it's personal preference. what I think is a great body I'm sure someone else on MM would disagree with.
for me, I like women with a little bit of curves-not heavyset or anything, but women who look like women, not straight like a male body. I do not like fake breasts, so that's an immediate "perfect body" ruiner. flat stomach, overall toned body but with a little bit of hips, boob & butt. smile
Jun 10 13 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Westdahl Studio
Posts: 333
Seattle, Washington, US


10-7-10 Ratio with healthy body composition (Fitness)
... and the confidence my models have!
Jun 10 13 09:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rodney Almore Photos
Posts: 217
Altadena, California, US


GeorgeMann wrote:

Carlotta Champagne
Liz Ashley
Keri Taylor
Jessica Vaughn
Any one of these and literally hundreds more like them.

This....Each of these are without tattoos.  That says something about "greatness"

Jun 10 13 09:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
StephenEastwood
Posts: 19,583
Great Neck, New York, US


Danielle Reid wrote:
Pretty much what the title says. Not industry standards, but MM photographer standards: What makes you say "She has a great body"?

https://www.google.com/search?q=karlie+ … 80&bih=856




Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Jun 10 13 09:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nyk fury
Posts: 2,918
Port Townsend, Washington, US


Danielle Reid wrote:
Pretty much what the title says. Not industry standards, but MM photographer standards: What makes you say "She has a great body"?

MM photography standards? i can tell you what i think is a great body, but it's thru my standards, not thru some imaginary, nonexistent MM ones. and while we are at it, which industry are you referring to exactly?

Jun 10 13 09:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Shoeplay Warehouse
Posts: 66
Washington, District of Columbia, US


Danielle Reid,

I've looked at your photos, and I see nothing wrong with how you look. The reason you look bigger in photos is because you have african ancestry and most people of african ancestry are just bigger than what many people consider the ideal body type, which may or may not be skinny or really slender.

Don't try to fit into that box.

But if you truly wish to lose weight around the belly, do some squats,  sit ups and crunches, drink cold water, and take cold showers.

Cold water forces the body to heat itself up, it burns the fat for the energy.

Also, the poses you take on, and the colors you're wearing in certain shots will make a person look bigger. Black, as almost everyone knows, is more slimming than white.

I'm but an amateur though, o don't take my word for it. Look it up yourself.
Jun 10 13 10:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Shoeplay Warehouse
Posts: 66
Washington, District of Columbia, US


What do I think is a nice body?

Not too big, not too small. It needs to be well proportioned. You can't have an angel on top and a homunculus on the bottom. It's just scary.
Jun 10 13 10:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,208
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Westdahl Studio wrote:
10-7-10 Ratio with healthy body composition (Fitness)
... and the confidence my models have!

Care to explain that?

Jun 10 13 10:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


Danielle Reid wrote:
The reason I'm asking this is because I'm on 3-4 different diet pills, workout 3-4 days a week for at least 1 hour a day, and I've cut out every kind of food that brings joy to my life (ice cream, pizza, McDonald's, Taco Bell, family cookouts) and I've lost a total of 2lbs with no loss in my stomach.

Photographers tell me "Lose weight, tone up, suck in that gut". While others outside the model world say "You have an amazing body". My fiance is a day away from throwing out all my diet pills and body wraps. He already cancelled my gym membership because he said I don't need it and I'm killing myself. Maybe I am, but I'm 5'2" and I look big in a lot of my photos. I NEED a flat tummy, sexy legs, and slim arms. Not jelly thighs and a beer gut!

sad  Girl, if it's reactions from modeling making you feel like this, take a little break. It isn't worth it. sad

Diet pills aren't really great for you, and I don't think you're supposed to combine 3 of them.

In other news, try to start working with some photographers that don't suck as human beings. You're a model; you're there to pose, not be abused. So long as your photos represent how you look, no one should have a problem. And if they do, they just shouldn't book you.

Jun 10 13 10:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


Angie Scott wrote:

That is not what the typical anorexic person looks like, especially here in Hollywood. Here, girls (whose names I had to remove bc I don't want to be connected to them) literally starve themselves, use injectable HGH and other varied products along the same lines, load up on laxatives, obsessively workout in the gym 6-7 days a week, load up on blow or meth or heroine or GHB (or a combo of those) and literally mimic anorexic tips and tricks you can find on the net such as how eating super super small bites and very slowly can make you feel full faster. I know this bc I've watches them in action & been a part of their lives however short those weeks/months may have been. Those are the actions and lifestyles of women with SEVERE self image/eating disorders. And what is the result? Worship from idiots who would rather have a tight, child-like body to pump on than to get a hard-on for a woman who takes care of herself, eats normally, and isn't a psycho-obsessive self-hating weight watcher. The more people accept this and praise mental illnesses like this the worse off each following generation is going to be. I feel afraid for my kids when I have them. I don't want them to grow up in a world where they are taught to abusive their selves to that extent just to achieve an unrealistic standard of beauty. Now J-lo? Healthy, sexy as F, tight-bodied, curvacious, eats normally, works out regularly and has the respect of millions without having to hurt herself. I respect women like her and Salma Hayack to no end. The rest of those self-hating sacks of sadness need to overdose and take their misery out of this world.

I do agree that there are a lot of EDs here in LA, and not all are as visible as you'd think, though the habits may be (Oh, I don't have an ED. But I gained 3 lbs so I'm on a strict 900 calorie a day diet and I'm also taking these pills and working out an hour every day).
However, do you realize that all skinny girls are not anorexic? And that girls with these serious issues may not need to be told that they should overdose? You had a good point that was completely lost in hatred.

Jun 10 13 11:05 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


I think that is like asking "what is beauty", it's just so personal that it will vary from person to person. For me, I find all sorts of bodies to be great bodies, don't have a specific type.
Jun 10 13 11:08 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


udor wrote:
Bullshit!

You don't know what you are talking about!

Let me help you out... this is what a real anorexic person looks like:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yr4YVLJjAxQ/USF6GWiqHZI/AAAAAAAABzw/FMVB-_fQbBk/s1600/Anorexia+nervosa.jpg

of course not. anorexia is an illness. that comes with that type of body, sometimes (she may also be bulimic, by the way. or a combination of various thing). not everyone who has anorexia looks like that.

this model died of the effects of severe anorexia shortly after this picture
http://www.ethicsinbusiness.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/sickly.jpeg

I'm sure a lot of photographers on mayhem would call this a "great body". and it is (I guess). But she was also very very sick sad. It's just not worth it. I'm not saying that everyone who looks like this has anorexia either, but I do know it's naive to think that eating disorders (in various forms) are not a common thing in fashion.

Jun 10 13 11:13 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Danielle Reid wrote:
The reason I'm asking this is because I'm on 3-4 different diet pills, workout 3-4 days a week for at least 1 hour a day, and I've cut out every kind of food that brings joy to my life (ice cream, pizza, McDonald's, Taco Bell, family cookouts) and I've lost a total of 2lbs with no loss in my stomach.

Photographers tell me "Lose weight, tone up, suck in that gut". While others outside the model world say "You have an amazing body". My fiance is a day away from throwing out all my diet pills and body wraps. He already cancelled my gym membership because he said I don't need it and I'm killing myself. Maybe I am, but I'm 5'2" and I look big in a lot of my photos. I NEED a flat tummy, sexy legs, and slim arms. Not jelly thighs and a beer gut!

oh sad

this makes me so sad...

if modeling makes you feel like this, then really, step back for a while sad. this isn't healthy behavior, at all!!! there will always be people who love how you look, and there will always be haters too. If you try and please everyone, you'll end up destroying yourself in the process. you don't NEED any of those. You need to feel good about yourself, and be healthy, and have fun, love the people that love you.

Jun 10 13 11:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,632
Los Angeles, California, US


To answer the OP specifically, I like lots of bodies.

I like bodies with soft, flowing lines. I also like an hourglass shape that's a little more exaggerated. I sometimes like angular, when it comes with a fit-looking body. I like triangle shaped, pear-shaped... it's really how the combo all comes together.
Jun 10 13 11:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Magic Forests
Posts: 530
New York, New York, US


Oh no no no this thread makes me so sad. sad

I've suffered years of malnutrition due to anorexia and it's miserable. It's not pretty. You're always feeling sluggish and awful but you get so good at fooling others. Now I'm in a place where my dance training takes priority and I want to be as buff as Batman. Getting that body fat percentage down is usually the hardest part for most people and that takes lots of knowledge in nutrition and healthy eating. Please please be careful about what you are ingesting and putting into your body. Treat your body like a temple.

If your fiance is that concerned about you, you might need to re-evaluate just what you are doing. There's a world of difference between obsessive dieting and maintaining health.

Modeling can be so tough when you get critiques such as the ones you've received. I originally thought I wouldn't have thick enough skin to handle it. But fuck that, fuck everyone. You focus on what is good for you, what will promote your health and well being. Build muscle like a sexy mofo if you want. If you are happy and confident with yourself, there are going to be others who think just the same of you.
Jun 10 13 11:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
StephenEastwood
Posts: 19,583
Great Neck, New York, US


Danielle Reid wrote:

Care to explain that?

34 x 23.8 x 34
33 x 23 x 33 

etc

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Jun 10 13 11:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,208
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


StephenEastwood wrote:

34 x 23.8 x 34
33 x 23 x 33 

etc

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

That's a very small waist...I'm about 4 inches from that

Jun 10 13 11:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Images by MR
Posts: 7,671
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Danielle Reid wrote:
What Defines a "Great Body"?

This... I'd like mine in black please smile

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q2/459487/2013-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gt-roadster-photo-459495-s-520x318.jpg

Jun 10 13 11:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,208
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

oh sad

this makes me so sad...

if modeling makes you feel like this, then really, step back for a while sad. this isn't healthy behavior, at all!!! there will always be people who love how you look, and there will always be haters too. If you try and please everyone, you'll end up destroying yourself in the process. you don't NEED any of those. You need to feel good about yourself, and be healthy, and have fun, love the people that love you.

I've felt this way before modeling, modeling just made it clear that I'm too big. I signed with an agency and one of the managers said I need to lose weight.

It's always the tall skinny girls that get all the jobs. They're off doing promos for Budwiser and MMA fights, taking photos and having clients ask for them by name. What do I get? A stupid job passing out phones to people on welfare (btw that job never happened because the agency managers never gave us a broadband card to use and expected us to rip WiFi from a business across the street).

I've been trying to lose 10 pounds for 1.5 years now. Nothing is working.

I love my fiance but he also complains that I never get paid for photo shoots and thinks every photog should pay me $100 a hour. He also thinks being pretty is the only thing any model has to do to be paid.

Jun 10 13 11:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,208
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Images by MR wrote:

This... I'd like mine in black please smile

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q2/459487/2013-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gt-roadster-photo-459495-s-520x318.jpg

I almost one that car...but I picked the wrong key sad

Jun 10 13 11:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LA StarShooter
Posts: 1,838
Los Angeles, California, US


I like tall.  http://www.modelmayhem.com/693702 is an example. She did Mary K. Her portfolio here doesn't reflect her extraordinary power. She is a tall wonder of a woman. Jessica Cook.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/489446 is Christie Gabriel.

I can, if a woman had the proportions, long legs, make her look tall but it's more work than if they are tall to begin with and proportionate. So long legs are very helpful.
Jun 11 13 12:08 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Danielle Reid wrote:
I've felt this way before modeling, modeling just made it clear that I'm too big. I signed with an agency and one of the managers said I need to lose weight.

It's always the tall skinny girls that get all the jobs. They're off doing promos for Budwiser and MMA fights, taking photos and having clients ask for them by name. What do I get? A stupid job passing out phones to people on welfare (btw that job never happened because the agency managers never gave us a broadband card to use and expected us to rip WiFi from a business across the street).

I've been trying to lose 10 pounds for 1.5 years now. Nothing is working.

I love my fiance but he also complains that I never get paid for photo shoots and thinks every photog should pay me $100 a hour. He also thinks being pretty is the only thing any model has to do to be paid.

I'm literally about twice as big as you (I'm also taller, but still, not twice as tall!). some people think I'm gross, some people think I'm awesome.

as an agencymodel who gets to do "cool" jobs and go to castings, I can guarantee you this: for every person who think you're too big, there's another who think you're too skinny. I've literally been to castings where on one casting they'd reject me for one thing and on the next casting they would reject me for the exact opposite.

rejection is part of this industry, but rule number 1 is 'never take it personally'. it's not you, it's just that you're not what they had in mind at this point.

the other thing is this: agencies are not gods. They want you to lose weight, you tried, it didn't work. so screw them. There are other agencies out there you know. Finding a n agency is like finding a lover: you need to find one that suits your needs and wants, not everyone is compatible. And they aren't getting you jobs anyway, so what do you have to lose?

Jun 11 13 12:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
StephenEastwood
Posts: 19,583
Great Neck, New York, US


Danielle Reid wrote:

That's a very small waist...I'm about 4 inches from that

24" for a 34" hip is not that abnormal in the modeling business

Stephen Eastwood
Http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Jun 11 13 12:19 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


LA StarShooter wrote:
I like tall.  http://www.modelmayhem.com/693702 is an example. She did Mary K. Her portfolio here doesn't reflect her extraordinary power. She is a tall wonder of a woman. Jessica Cook.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/489446 is Christie Gabriel.

I can, if a woman had the proportions, long legs, make her look tall but it's more work than if they are tall to begin with and proportionate. So long legs are very helpful.

5'9? pft, midget :p

Jun 11 13 12:21 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,208
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


StephenEastwood wrote:

24" for a 34" hip is not that abnormal in the modeling business

Stephen Eastwood
Http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Never said it was abnormal, I said it was small

Jun 11 13 12:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


This!

http://www.anjalanger.com/Photos/Classic/Classic-large/Anja_Langer.jpg
Jun 11 13 12:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LA StarShooter
Posts: 1,838
Los Angeles, California, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

5'9? pft, midget :p

I am taller than 5 ft nine, which is a great height for me to shoot. Shot 5 ft 9 at the beach and her height really helped, as in certain scenery shots a tall woman is rather epeic.  Shot 5ft 10 out in the Mojave. Haven't shot 6ft 1 yet.

Jun 11 13 12:33 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


LA StarShooter wrote:

I am taller than 5 ft nine, which is a great height for me to shoot. Shot 5 ft 9 at the beach and her height really helped, as in certain scenery shots a tall woman is rather epeic.  Shot 5ft 10 out in the Mojave. Haven't shot 6ft 1 yet.

ah, once you shoot 6'1, you never go back :p

Jun 11 13 12:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,662
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

ah, once you shoot 6'1, you never go back :p

I wonder why you say that.  smile

Jun 11 13 01:04 am  Link  Quote 
first1234last   Search   Reply