login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Run. Hide. Fight. Search   Reply
Photographer
Jim Shibley
Posts: 2,891
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Anyone been to Active Shooter Training? I went to a 3-hour version yesterday. It's what to try & do if there is someone firing weapons near you. Some of the videos are on-line if you search for run-hide-fight or active shooter. I need to start paying attention more to where I am & where to escape.
Sep 11 13 10:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Click Hamilton
Posts: 34,384
San Diego, California, US


Thank you for launching this thread.

It's a part of emergency preparedness.

Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusions, look who is behind producing and distributing these programs and training videos. The credits are at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0
Sep 11 13 11:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
ernst tischler
Posts: 15,068
Houston, Texas, US


That video is good advice for the unarmed sheeple in such an event.
Sep 12 13 08:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,258
Maricopa, Arizona, US


Jim Shibley wrote:
I need to start paying attention more to where I am & where to escape.

This is always a good idea. Look at how many people have been killed in packed nightclubs when a fast moving fire suddenly breaks out. Regardless of the cause (active shooter, fire, whatever), once the stampede of panicked people starts, you are basically royally screwed. I've always made it a habit (where ever I am) to be as close as possible to an exit. Some call it paranoia, I call it sound risk management.

Sep 12 13 09:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,258
Maricopa, Arizona, US


ernst tischler wrote:
That video is good advice for the unarmed sheeple in such an event.

I disagree. Armed or not, that video offers excellent advice (and yes, I am armed and have had extensive combat pistol training over the years). My weapon only comes out when **all** other options are off the table.

Sep 12 13 09:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Click Hamilton
Posts: 34,384
San Diego, California, US


Lohkee wrote:
Armed or not, that video offers excellent advice (and yes, I am armed and have had extensive combat pistol training over the years). My weapon only comes out when **all** other options are no longer available.

Options.

When the S hits the proverbial fan, we can never have too many.

Sep 12 13 09:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,258
Maricopa, Arizona, US


Click Hamilton wrote:

Options.

When the S hits the proverbial fan, we can never have too many.

Yep, options are a **good** thing.

Sep 12 13 09:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vintagevista
Posts: 10,844
Sun City, California, US


Situational awareness - the mental and physical understanding to know when you are screwed - and when you have a chance.

I usually think here in S Cal. about earthquakes - where could I go? - could I get out? - where would safe ground be?  (We are WAYYYYY overdue for a strong quake in LA - Not the "Big One" - but a 6+)

I was in the sub basement of a tower in LA over the weekend - and my thought as I was going up to the exhibit -  and my mind flashed "If we have a big one now - I'm dead."
Sep 12 13 09:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob Helm Photography
Posts: 18,175
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US


Of course another option is bring your gun to work day. Need to keep ALL options open.
Sep 12 13 09:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,258
Maricopa, Arizona, US


RennsportPhotography wrote:
Of course another option is bring your gun to work day. Need to keep ALL options open.

I agree (Assuming your employer will allow it. Many will not). That said, my weapon is still not coming out unless all other options are off the table. Sorry, I'm not the lone ranger, and I am not responsible for you.

Sep 12 13 09:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Click Hamilton
Posts: 34,384
San Diego, California, US


Vintagevista wrote:
Situational awareness - the mental and physical understanding to know when you are screwed - and when you have a chance.

I usually think here in S Cal. about earthquakes - where could I go? - could I get out? - where would safe ground be?  (We are WAYYYYY overdue for a strong quake in LA - Not the "Big One" - but a 6+)

I was in the sub basement of a tower in LA over the weekend - and my thought as I was going up to the exhibit -  and my mind flashed "If we have a big one now - I'm dead."

Earthquakes, fires, power outages, riots, dirty-bombs and chemical attacks, contaminated water supplies, etc., etc., etc. Many kinds of fast moving disasters can lead to widespread societal collapse in a short period of time. It doesn't take much for people to panic and go bananas.

There's a thin line between civilized behavior and the destructive chaos of fear and anarchy.

You just reminded me to change the water in the water tanks of my motorhome sitting on my driveway.

It's not organized, but I have lots of camping gear around me, and enough food and water for at least a month. At a yard sale last year I bought a case box of military MRE's for $25. Doesn't hurt, might help. It's somewhere in my piles of clutter, LOL.

I've been looking for one of these to tuck away in my garden shed. When freeway traffic comes to a standstill during a mass exodus, it might be just the ticket for mobility. A siphon hose doesn't take much additional space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650

Potassium Iodide tablets and a personal radiation detector is not a bad thing to have handy. Especially living in a place like southern California. I've read that cans of tuna are alternatives for potassium iodide, but need to reconfirm the volume per day. Cans of tuna are excellent for the food supply list. I like tuna fish salads and sandwiches anyway, so there's always at least a case pack rotating on the shelf at any given time. I buy in bulk at Costco.

Sep 12 13 10:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,258
Maricopa, Arizona, US


Click Hamilton wrote:
Earthquakes, fires, power outages, riots, dirty-bombs and chemical attacks, contaminated water supplies, etc., etc., etc. Many kinds of fast moving disasters can lead to widespread societal collapse in a short period of time.

There's a very fine line between civilized behavior and the destructive chaos of fear and anarchy.

You just reminded me to change the water in the water tanks of my motorhome sitting on my driveway.

It's not organized, but I have lots of camping gear around me, and enough food and water for at least a month. At a yard sale last year I bought a case box of military MRE's for $25. Doesn't hurt, might help. It's somewhere in my piles of clutter, LOL.

I've been looking for one of these to tuck away in my garden shed. When freeway traffic comes to a standstill during a mass exodus, it might be just the ticket for mobility. A siphon hose doesn't take much additional space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650

Potassium Iodide tablets and a personal radiation detector is not a bad thing to have handy. Especially living in a place like southern California. I've read that cans of tuna are alternatives for potassium iodide, but need to reconfirm the volume per day. Cans of tuna are excellent for the food supply list. I like tuna fish salads and sandwiches anyway, so there's always at least a case pack rotating on the shelf at any given time. I buy in bulk at Costco.

Well it all depends on the disaster that you are faced with. In most cases, people would be far better off staying where they are. Going mobile means being **mobile** which is far easier said than done. Think about L.A. during rush hour. Now think about the same scenario if everyone and their mother is trying to escape L.A. A full tank of gas is not going to get you very far. Then what? A bike gives you much more mobility but severely limits what you can carry. If you decide to scamper, where will you get water out on the road? A well made tuna fish sammich is a wonderful thing. Eating tuna out of the can, ummm, not so great lol

The (average) human body can go about 30 - 60 days without food. Five or so days without water and you are most likely dead. If you stay where you are you probably have plenty of water (think your hot water tank here). If all of your neighbors have scampered, then you probably have more fresh water than you could possible use. lol

Do some research (and not on survivalist sites that are trying to sell you something). You will be very surprised to find out what your priorities should be to actually survive.

Yep, when the shit hits the fan I will shelter in place if at all possible.

Sep 12 13 11:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Click Hamilton
Posts: 34,384
San Diego, California, US


^^ Yes, it depends. Back to "options"

In Nov 2007, San Diego had huge fires that burned all the way from the east of San Diego to the ocean. Many areas were evacuated. Many areas were nothing but ash after the fires swept through. 1,259 homes were lost.

My area near Mission Valley was not evacuated, but fires were close to us both to the north and to the south. Burning ash was falling anywhere the winds took it.

After about a week of breathing too much smoke, I decided to take a few days off and drive east on Freeway 8 to Arizona to clear my lungs.

It's not a bad idea to think through many contingencies.  "Be Prepared"

http://www.pbase.com/schutze/image/88907708.jpg

One option not elected:

http://www.pbase.com/schutze/image/88904435.jpg
Sep 12 13 11:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Caradoc
Posts: 19,621
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


Click Hamilton wrote:
After about a week of breathing too much smoke, I decided to take a few days off and drive east on Freeway 8 to Arizona to clear my lungs.

Highway 8 is a fun drive, but no stopping in the Vekol Valley - it's not a good place to be.

http://www.leaderandtimes.com/images/stories/news/sign-2.jpg

Sep 12 13 02:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Caradoc
Posts: 19,621
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


Lohkee wrote:
Five or so days without water and you are most likely dead. If you stay where you are you probably have plenty of water (think your hot water tank here). If all of your neighbors have scampered, then you probably have more fresh water than you could possible use.

Lifestraws can be rigged with a big plastic bag and a rubber band to gravity-feed a storage tank, too.

Or, better yet, a Katadyn Pocket or the equivalent. People talk about using the water in the upper tank of a toilet... but I wouldn't without boiling or filtering.

Sep 12 13 02:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,258
Maricopa, Arizona, US


Caradoc wrote:
Lifestraws can be rigged with a big plastic bag and a rubber band to gravity-feed a storage tank, too.

Or, better yet, a Katadyn Pocket or the equivalent. People talk about using the water in the upper tank of a toilet... but I wouldn't without boiling or filtering.

Lohkee's survival tips.

When the shit hits the fan, get a nice bottle of scotch and a lawn chair. Watch your neighbors scamper knowing that all of the food and water they are leaving behind are yours for the taking. . . . . . .


Hmmmmmm, I bet Mr. Hamilton has some really fine wines and cigars lol

Sep 12 13 03:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim Shibley
Posts: 2,891
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Lohkee wrote:

Lohkee's survival tips.

When the shit hits the fan, get a nice bottle of scotch and a lawn chair. Watch your neighbors scamper knowing that all of the food and water they are leaving behind are yours for the taking. . . . . . .


Hmmmmmm, I bet Mr. Hamilton has some really fine wines and cigars lol

Prepares escape plan for neighbors...Run now, take nothing with you, get away fast!

Sep 12 13 05:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Click Hamilton
Posts: 34,384
San Diego, California, US


Lohkee wrote:
Hmmmmmm, I bet Mr. Hamilton has some really fine wines and cigars lol

Enough to carry us through most emergencies.

I'm always happy to share smile

http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/ima … 168/medium

Sep 12 13 05:40 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Justin
Posts: 21,743
Fort Collins, Colorado, US


Anomalous rains are overwhelming dams and canyons here.

I shot at them. My aim was true. The bullets found the target. But the results were ineffective.

Damn. Where's my rowboat?
Sep 12 13 08:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ImagineAerie
Posts: 402
Plano, Texas, US


Click Hamilton wrote:
Thank you for launching this thread.

It's a part of emergency preparedness.

Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusions, look who is behind producing and distributing these programs and training videos. The credits are at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

I particularly liked the sign on the door that says, "Only unarmed victims inside."

Sep 12 13 10:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim Shibley
Posts: 2,891
Phoenix, Arizona, US


I can't run with one foot in a C.R.O.W boot & needing ankle fusion surgery on the other so I'll just close the door on my office & play lights-out-no-bodies-home while holding something sharp in my hands.
Sep 13 13 03:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Click Hamilton
Posts: 34,384
San Diego, California, US


On the subject of preparedness and self defense, here's an interesting new design for a legal semi-automatic rifle that speeds up the trigger pull speed and improves accuracy after each fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy19gFEH … r_embedded

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09 … its-legal/

Clever idea.
Sep 13 13 04:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JadeDRed
Posts: 5,396
London, England, United Kingdom


We have these, but we call them 'Fire Safety Videos'. You would probably find them very dull, no one gets shot in the chest.

It did remind me of this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTtxc87mYC4
Sep 13 13 04:20 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers