Forums > Critique > Critique--- its always a learning curve..

Model

HppyBubbles

Spokane, Washington, US

Hello...

Im asking for the good , honest trueth.. for no one learns from piss poor critiques..

thanks..
Shana

Sep 08 05 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

HppyBubbles wrote:
Hello...

Im asking for the good , honest trueth.. for no one learns from piss poor critiques..

thanks..
Shana

Truth

(:--------

Hj

Sep 08 05 04:35 pm Link

Model

HppyBubbles

Spokane, Washington, US

thanks for the rating hugh.

Sep 08 05 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

When you have a few to many wonderful shots in your portfolio for boasting, consider removing the less wonderful ones.  Edit.  For average lighting.  For stiff posing.  For lack of allure or mystery.

That's how to get rid of stuff. 

To get always more interesting stuff, consider listing the kinds of shots (genre) and emotions (atmosphere, character, message) you think may be missing from your set.  For example, you're working in glamour: how about a 1930's or 40's Hollywood glamour looking shot?  Many of your pictures are portraits, some very nicely made, but they are what they are, which is mostly done and in the past: what if you broke away and played a character inside a story line for a couple of hours in front of the camera?  Or found your own spirit: e.g., if you were to star in one still picture meant to convey how you feel about your life to date, what would be in that picture?

Quick: Bo Derek or Cindy Sherman?

A friend of mine sews the most exquisite and finely crafted quilts and wants to get into the collector and fine art parts of that market.  Instead of adopting patterns, which is what she does, I've been begging her to sketch up parts of her life, a personal outlook referencing favorite things to be illustrated in cloth.  I'm fundamentally asking her to traverse the divide between derivative efforts and efforts truly her own.  In that you're half or more of the contribution to the photographs in which you appea, you have the similar opportunity to express more of yourself in your art.

What about the photographers? 

The better ones, imho, see in their models similar potentials.  They're third-person narrators and stage managers.

--Jim

Sep 08 05 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Stan Goldstein

New York, New York, US

Perhaps average?

I think "don't we look cute" is a very strong pic, however, I also think a model should NEVER have other models in her book.  The two shots either side of it are also very good. 

The untitled, orange tinted, standing nude is my favorite of the bunch.  GREAT pic!

Sep 08 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I'm more generous than Stan. I think it's average-nice. A few really nice shots, a couple that leave me a indifferent.

In the first row, I like the first, second, and fourth shot. The third one shows up too blotchy-digitized on my screen. I'd like to work with you after seeing just the second shot in the cowboy hat. Some people might argue with tones or contrast, but I liked it.

In the second row, if you're trying to show that you can be daring in your shots, then "Beauty" works to show that off. Otherwise, it doesn't do much for me, although I like it technically. I like the second and third - the fourth looks too snapshot-ish to me.

Third row. First shot is nice, the second shot is particularly strong for me, the third shot has the same comment as the second row, first shot - but it needs a better caption. You're looking more at "sexy" or "provocative" than "cute." Cute is both of you smiling to the camera or perhaps being in a prom shot. The fourth shot does a good job at giving the prospective photographer another look to you.

Fourth row. First shot is fine for giving me a body idea, and it's kinda cute. Second and third shot are fine, although the third shot could've used more fill light to show you off better. The fourth shot ... I like it OK, but I felt myself wanting to desaturate it and then make it a blue-tinged shot all the way through. It's just me.

Fifth row. These are all just fine, give me different looks within different styles of shots. I agree with Stan - the second to the last one is stunning, and my favorite of the set.

Based on your portfolio, I'd be dashing an e-mail to you if I were coming to your area, and hoping for a response. No question.

Good luck.

Sep 08 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

HppyBubbles wrote:
Im asking for the good , honest trueth..

Seek the truth yourself.  Take a good look at your imaging and ask yourself about each, "does this image look like it would appear in an advertisement?"

You've fallen into a very similar trap.  You are extending yourself and not putting focus on extending an emotion that relates to a message in the image.

Nice pictures, but that isn't what modeling is about.

Sep 08 05 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Crouch

San Diego, California, US

I think the few shots by Vegas Alien bring the overall port up to average. Most of your pics lack brilliance in color... I would guess most of them to have been shoot by an amature shooter. (Hope I didn't piss anyone off)

Bottom line, you are attractive enough to have better material. Try working with better shooters.

Sep 09 05 12:02 am Link

Model

HppyBubbles

Spokane, Washington, US

thanks for the imput guys... tis very well appreciated!!

Sep 09 05 06:13 am Link