Forums > Critique > Too much color?

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

When I look at other people's photos and then my own photos, mine seem to be really colorful. What do you all think? Is it too much? Too colorful? Too saturated? Too much contrast? Let me know. Thanks.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=36856

Sep 09 05 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Michael Crouch

San Diego, California, US

It's too much yellow. adjust the light compensation.  You need to tell your camera what kind of lighting conditions you are shooting. If that doesn't fix it you might have to tweek it a little in the manual settings.

What camera are you using?

Sep 09 05 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Michael LaPolla

Utica, New York, US

I think they look great,i love lots of color in images,the skin tone might be off just a tad...I use auto white balance try that!

Sep 09 05 04:29 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Better yet, set a custom WB each time the light changes.

Paul

Sep 09 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

i happen to like vivid and satured ated shots. i think my photos already say that though

Sep 09 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Actually I know how to white balance. Everything I did to the colors was intentional (believe it or not...heh) and I was just wondering what people thought about it. smile Thanks for the replies.

To answer, I use Nikon D70. And I don't use auto WB because it's never consistant from photo to photo. In fact I normally set it at Flash WB -1 (5600K) and adjust WB in Photoshop when needed.

Sep 09 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

I did not see TOO much color.  I add saturation to most of my shots because i seek to make them a bit more dramatic, and "I" like them that way.

Sep 09 05 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I don't think you use too much colour..  But it does seem that you prefer a monochrome palette...  In film, games and animation a trick we use to get a strong image is to use a touch of complimentary colour...
This would work really good with your colour style...  I'm assuming you already have a colour wheel - but if not you can google search and download one - it is an essential for ANY visual creative...  Most of my photos are monochrome as well - theres a couple at the bottom that I intentionally contrasted the colour schemes...  My avatar is an example of what I mean as well...  It is predominately shades of warm reds - I threw in the cool blue to pull the eye through the image...  Your compositon is good - I suspect that giving this a try might give you some cool results..
Or you just might hate it - but hey you never know..
Happy shooting!!!
peace
CIP

Sep 09 05 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

I don't think they're too satuated . However I , myself , like  adding warmth  especially for portraits.The only exception is in your photo .. Clover . great shot and mood.... Just my humble opinion and .02 cents worth

Sep 09 05 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

I think you can do what makes you happy, speak your own language, there will be people who agree and people who disagree, as life, but at the end of the day you will feel you did your best and in your own personal way. smile T

Sep 09 05 05:09 pm Link

Model

SilentScream

Regina, New Mexico, US

Michael Crouch wrote:
It's too much yellow. adjust the light compensation.  You need to tell your camera what kind of lighting conditions you are shooting. If that doesn't fix it you might have to tweek it a little in the manual settings.

What camera are you using?

i don't think theirs too much yellow in all the pictures.. jsut the one "Angela" one, but still doesn't effect the beautiful photo.
i personally love that desaturated look, you don't over do it, it looks subtle.
all your photos are beautiful, your photos and how they look, is YOU as a photographer, i love your style and editing, dont change it at all.
it's what makes you different from all the rest smile

Sep 09 05 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Edge Foto

Miami, Arizona, US

Love the images! I don't think you are usinng too much color. I saturate my color too.

Ed

Sep 11 05 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Looks fine  to me....   Not that yellow as [It's too much yellow. adjust the light compensation. You need to tell your camera what kind of lighting conditions you are shooting. If that doesn't fix it you might have to tweek it a little in the manual settings.] says it it   Asians have a more yellow under tone that others if its to yellow to you then go to selective color and in yellow channel add blue

Is this your style thou if so dont do a thing

Sep 11 05 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Karlton Photo

Saint Charles, Illinois, US

Daniel Kwan wrote:
When I look at other people's photos and then my own photos, mine seem to be really colorful. What do you all think? Is it too much? Too colorful? Too saturated? Too much contrast? Let me know. Thanks.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=36856

YIKES...if you are afraid you have too much color...
I better be hiding out! I am all about color!

I see one shot that might have a little too much yellow in it.

What kind of camera are you shooting with?

Karlton

Sep 11 05 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Don't second guess yourself.

Sep 11 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Actaully it's a lot less color than what I shoot with smile

Good stuff, keep it up.

Sep 11 05 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

If you're doing it on purpsoe then there's nothing wroing with it. It's part of your style and the "look" of your work.
There will be those who love it and will want to work with you and those who hate it and won't work with you... just like it happens with everyone else's style :-)

Daniel Kwan wrote:
Actually I know how to white balance. Everything I did to the colors was intentional (believe it or not...heh) and I was just wondering what people thought about it. smile Thanks for the replies.

To answer, I use Nikon D70. And I don't use auto WB because it's never consistant from photo to photo. In fact I normally set it at Flash WB -1 (5600K) and adjust WB in Photoshop when needed.

Sep 11 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lynn Helms Photography

Austin, Texas, US

If you like it then by all means go for it. Personally I think that there are a couple you've gone too far with since the whites of their eyes are kind of greenish and I don't think that's exactly flattering to the models. But if it's a style you're happy with - do it! As to the white balance, I wonder why NOT just use auto if you're going to adjust it to your taste anyway. just a little smarty pants comment...smile

Sep 11 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Hey everyone thanks a lot for the responses! I especially liked the colorwheel idea.

icedimage wrote:
As to the white balance, I wonder why NOT just use auto if you're going to adjust it to your taste anyway. just a little smarty pants comment...smile

Because if there are multiple shots that I want to use, shot at the same location and under the same lighting, with a preset WB I can just adjust them all the same way (by copying the adjustment layer from one image to another). With Auto WB the WB might be inconsistant and I'd have to mess with the images more.

Sep 12 05 04:31 pm Link

Model

jessica902001

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I like your picks the way they are. Color is a way for the model and the photog to express their point of views. Look at it this way, atleast they are not dull. It helps you stand out as a photog. It is always good to be different!

Sep 12 05 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I think they look good the way they are but that because you changed them to look like that.
I cant say anything negative about a photo created by the imagination of the photog. Every oil painting in the world was created the same way and some are worth millions, photos are the same.

Good photos, very creative.

Sep 12 05 05:32 pm Link