Forums > Critique > Ashley

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Adrienne_83 wrote:

The photographer asked for a critique of his work; the model didn't ask if you thought she's cute.

She was what he was working WITH, I gave my opinion.

If I was speaking TO the model I would've said "You're ugly".

Sep 17 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

All due respect Nerlande, but just like art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. The comment, You're Ugly is just rude, adds nothing to the thread and quite honestly, pompous..  Beauty comes in many forms; one form is attitude.. From your crude statement, I'd say you're ugly..

The girl is 15 and who knows, after Mother Nature is done with her, she may be the hottest woman alive...  Yes, this is a cruel biz, but it still should be kept professional and in context of the question asked..

Sep 17 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Nerlande wrote:
She's ugly.

What's up with that?

Sep 17 05 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Nerlande wrote:

She was what he was working WITH, I gave my opinion.

That's the kind of shallow cattiness you find at clubs when you're drunk and think some girl is hitting on your man or the man you think is yours. 

You're shallow and not worth much more discussion.  Good luck to you.

Sep 17 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Nerlande wrote:
She's ugly.

So is this comment, thanks for showing who you are in a public forum. Duly noted

Sep 17 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Nerlande wrote:

Please note the credibility of your statement goes to your level of education.  The period is always placed inside the quote.

However, when people cut and paste that quote and give you a "Tag Attack" with it then you will know from where those words of inspiration were derived.

Sep 17 05 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Nerlande wrote:
She's ugly.

There is NO call for this sort of thing.  She's 15 years old and the subject of a portrait series.  She is NOT presented as a model.  Did you even stop to consider the possibility that these were pictures of a client and not a "model"?

Attacking her makes you look like an ass.

Sep 17 05 01:59 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

The images definitely drown in brown, which does makes her disappear and doesn't bring out any of her features. Her face seems a little underlit. And perhaps some different make-up would have added some life to the images and her. If she's that young her vitality and youth doesn't really come across.

Sep 17 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I'd say, knowing that you're doing this as a portrait series not anything commercial etc, that the bottom one works the best though I don't think it's great.

The first and second, make me cringe because to me I see awkward all over.  The poses seem just like that, poses and contrived.   I'm not saying that's how she felt when she was working with you, that's just what comes across to me.

Last shot I think would have worked better with switch up in color scheme and lighting.  I agree with some of the other posters that it all seems so brown to me.

Sep 17 05 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

johnnycrosslin

Dallas, Texas, US

I think the model/subject has unique facial features, so it is very important to recognize this and apply different lighting techniques than you would use on other subjects.  I think shot #2 works best on this girl because some of the unflattering shadows are softened.  I would have also bumped up the light on the background to give the shots more depth.  By the way, hats off to you and everyone else who is willing to take a few kicks in the sack in order to better themselves.

Sep 17 05 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Nerlande wrote:
She's ugly.

What an ass comment to make.

For starters, I don't think she's ugly she's a teen in the midst of those awkward years.

The interesting thing about physical appearances is that they can be altered.  With styling, makeup, corrective work, hell even Joan Rivers looks human.

The problem with internal ugliness is that not only is it harder to correct, but that it makes even the physically attractive appear very ugly.

Sep 17 05 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

William Kious wrote:
She's 15 years old and the subject of a portrait series.  She is NOT presented as a model.  Did you even stop to consider the possibility that these were pictures of a client and not a "model"?

First, I don't think she's even remotely close to being "ugly." wink

But I don't get this "portrait series" stuff.  To be honest, I shot her just as I would have any other model.  Maybe a lousy choice of background and poses and I'd have rather had an Afro-American to try the brown on brown thing with.  Maybe I ought to go back to my fill light too.

Paul

Sep 17 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
But I don't get this "portrait series" stuff...

That explains a lot in that statement.  Portraits, as in Paul's Portraits is what you do.  Try as you might, that doesn't necessarily translate to modeling photography as there are far more components involved than just traditional portrait lighting requirement.  This seems to be a difficult concept to grasp, thus not getting the "portrait series" statement made by William.

Sep 17 05 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:
Paul, this is the worst studio lighting I've seen out of you.

Really?  I didn't think so.

Paul

What do you think of the points I made?  Do you not think you gave her a double chin?  Do you not think that her eyes are dark?  And what do you think of the floating oval?

Sep 17 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

I completely agree, and I think that someone owes an apology.

Paul wrote:
To be honest, I shot her just as I would have any other model.

I think that's the problem.  Each face has its own lighting requirements, and you lit her as though she were a fashion model.  That's a big mistake.

Sep 17 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
What do you think of the points I made?  Do you not think you gave her a double chin?  Do you not think that her eyes are dark?  And what do you think of the floating oval?

I do not think I gave her a double-chin.  There's a fairly strong shadow under her chin, maybe that's what you're seeing.  Her eyes aren't dark except for the third one which has some hair over it.  But the top of the socket is dark.  Good catch.  Just for kicks I'll see if I can lighten it up a bit.

As for the floating oval, don't you think that's caused by the hair on her face?

Paul

Sep 17 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Paul Ferrara wrote:

But I don't get this "portrait series" stuff.  To be honest, I shot her just as I would have any other model.  Maybe a lousy choice of background and poses and I'd have rather had an Afro-American to try the brown on brown thing with.  Maybe I ought to go back to my fill light too.

Paul

Granted I don't shoot fashion or even commercial, but even I don't shoot every other model the same.   I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  I assumed, based on the look of the shots, that you were attempting "portraits."  But it turns out you weren't.

Out of curiousity how do you go about approaching composition styling etc if you shoot models all the same?   I'm not talking just technical stuff here, I'm asking about intention helping determine the technical components that affect outcome.

Sep 17 05 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Stan Goldstein

New York, New York, US

As Brian said:

"Your shadows are far too deep for her face, and they accentuate her flaws.  Look at the double chins you've given her.  Her eyes are in shadow, and her nostrils are so dark, they draw a lot of attention."

& I agree.  Flatter & softer light would have been better - or maybe not.

A monitor should have deleted the objectional remark, but that is NOT of your doing., & is not directed to you.

Sep 17 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
Granted I don't shoot fashion or even commercial,

That's for sure! wink

KM von Seidl wrote:
but even I don't shoot every other model the same.   I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  I assumed, based on the look of the shots, that you were attempting "portraits."  But it turns out you weren't.

I don't shoot every model the same.  In this case I used just one light, no fill.  It didn't work very well as Brian and others were kind enough to point out. wink  I also used a dark brown bg, and that wasn't that successful either according to others - I'm not entirely sure about that though.

Paul

Sep 17 05 08:47 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

What I posted was the first thing that came to mind when I viewed Ferrara's shots of Ashley.

I expected to get chastised for my insensitive remark. Clearly, I didn't care.

Still don't.

Sep 17 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Paul Ferrara wrote:

KM von Seidl wrote:
Granted I don't shoot fashion or even commercial,

That's for sure! wink

Yeah, I have no problem admitting neither my skill level nor style are cut out for either one. 

KM von Seidl wrote:
but even I don't shoot every other model the same.   I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  I assumed, based on the look of the shots, that you were attempting "portraits."  But it turns out you weren't.

I don't shoot every model the same.  In this case I used just one light, no fill.  It didn't work very well as Brian and others were kind enough to point out. wink  I also used a dark brown bg, and that wasn't that successful either according to others - I'm not entirely sure about that though.

Paul

You keep talking light technique.  I'm talking intent.  Before the lights are lit.  You said:

Paul Ferrara wrote:
But I don't get this "portrait series" stuff.  To be honest, I shot her just as I would have any other model.  ...

Paul

I don't understand what that means.  How can you shoot without knowing what outcome you're looking for than to know that it's a live female human in front of you and you want to capture her image?

Sep 17 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

RCphotos

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I like the second photo best. And I like the strong shadows. A soft spot backlight perhaps with an amber gel low on the background would enable separation and still preserve the modeling.

Her hair doesn't like being straight. It would be more comfortable gay.

Rob

Sep 17 05 10:12 pm Link

Model

PinayVampyre

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

RCphotos wrote:
Her hair doesn't like being straight. It would be more comfortable gay.

Rob

***Heheh

Sep 17 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think that you did as good of job as possible dealing with a model who did not happen to be photogenic...the lighting and composition and all other "photography" aspects of the photo are fine. I think it is great that you decided to have her show off her braces...she is fifteen and the braces are a part of her...she is definatly not "ugly" (just an awkward teenager) However, Im betting that Paul did make her look prettier in these pics than she looked in real life...they will probobly be portraits that she keeps throughout her life, even looks back on and laughs at when she is older and has perfect teeth.
That being said, I think that the person who was ignorant enough to make the "ugly" comment about a fifteen year old, should relize that there are many, many different types of beauty....One of the main types is the beauty that comes from within, the kind that gives you enough courage to show off your braces....A loss of inner beatuy makes your outer beauty EXTEREMLY unattractive.

Sep 18 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

What an ass comment to make.

For starters, I don't think she's ugly she's a teen in the midst of those awkward years.

The interesting thing about physical appearances is that they can be altered.  With styling, makeup, corrective work, hell even Joan Rivers looks human.

The problem with internal ugliness is that not only is it harder to correct, but that it makes even the physically attractive appear very ugly.

Wow, after I just read through this thread I realized I pretty much quoted you ...sorry, great minds think alike smile

Sep 18 05 01:49 am Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nerlande wrote:
What I posted was the first thing that came to mind when I viewed Ferrara's shots of Ashley.

Still don't.

I bet your going to go really far with that attitude.

Sep 18 05 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Nerlande wrote:

Still don't.

Dang...I don't normally call people a bitch...but that's exactly what you are.  Beauty fades darling.  Ugly is forever and that's what you'll be someday.  Some stuck up snotty bitter old lady.

Sep 18 05 02:23 am Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Dang...I don't normally call people a bitch...but that's exactly what you are.  Beauty fades darling.  Ugly is forever and that's what you'll be someday.  Some stuck up snotty bitter old lady.

nicely said.

Sep 18 05 02:25 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Nerlande wrote:

Sometimes it's best to keep your asinine thoughts to yourself.

DigitalCMH wrote:

Perfect.

Sep 18 05 02:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Nerlande wrote:

Still don't.

Wow.

Sep 18 05 07:05 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Just ignore Nerlande....she's having a DIVA moment y'all.  Nerlande, if you can't contribute positively to this forum, just don't be here. Not all of us can be as hot as you, we can only hope that one day......

As for the 15 year old, I like the shots. THey are really good portraits. Maybe some touch up on the face to get rid of the circles (not dark, but sunken look) under the eys, and it's fine to me.

Sep 18 05 08:40 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I like what Monte says about his five (or so) portrait lighting setups: "Which light would you take away?"  In order of reduction: background? accent? hair? fill? or main?  If film or sensors (and small prints and monitors) offered a more evenly distributed tonal range -- i.e., an experience more akin to eyesight -- the need to fill creases and shadows would be less pressing.

Sep 18 05 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

commart wrote:
I like what Monte says about his five (or so) portrait lighting setups: "Which light would you take away?"  In order of reduction: background? accent? hair? fill? or main?  If film or sensors (and small prints and monitors) offered a more evenly distributed tonal range -- i.e., an experience more akin to eyesight -- the need to fill creases and shadows would be less pressing.

Since I only had one light, mine would have been pretty dark. wink

And I disagree about the creases and shadows.  With film they'd have still been there.

Paul

Sep 18 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
But I don't get this "portrait series" stuff.  To be honest, I shot her just as I would have any other model.

That may be the problem: "shot her just as I would have any other model".

Models--and portrait subjects, for that matter--have different strengths and weaknesses, both visual and conceptual. Shooting them all the same way reduces or removes those differences, averaging them all out.

You many not see your portfolio and website sample images as looking alike, but they all look very similar--flattering bland lighting, extremely limited and bland camera angles, no depth to the images (some depth to the subject, but almost all of them are 2-dimensional otherwise, etc. That the background changes color or has a hotspot on it, or that your models change clothes isn't making the images any different; there's a mass-produced look to them.

Your lighting in general is flattering, but there's more to model photography than just that. The samples here of Ashley show some attempts at other approaches, which is a good thing, even if only to serve as examples of what issues will come up.

Spending time arguing with comments is silly: a dark enough shadow can appear as a double chin. Excessively contrasty shadows when they make the subject look bad without improving the image-as-a-whole can't be dismissed without considering them. (Even using your own "look at their work before paying any attention to what they say" rule should require some consideration of many of the comments in this thread.)

Sep 18 05 01:52 pm Link