Forums > Model Colloquy > Tampon Preferences?

Photographer

- null -

Due to the topic in this thread, I have decided to start a new one.

The notion of photographers carrying a supply of tampons for models is really a brilliantly chivalric courtesy in my opinion.

However, I know nothing about brands and preferences becasue, well, I don't need to buy them.

So, ladies, clue us single-guys into what brands and types you like the best. Are some better than others? Are some more effective? ... Ribbed? Scented? Bettery-powered? (Oh, wait ... those are other things. Nevermind.)

But seriously, what kind do you like so we single male photographers can get an education on this. (I say "single male" because the females already know and the married men SHOULD know.)

Sep 30 05 11:40 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Playtex multi-pack.  smile

Sep 30 05 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

They have variety packs? Makes sense as "not all women are created equal". Do they come with toy surprises?

Sep 30 05 12:01 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Vegas Alien wrote:
They have variety packs? Makes sense as "not all women are created equal". Do they come with toy surprises?

No toy surpises, but they do come with coupons and plungers.

Sep 30 05 12:05 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Plungers!

The variety pack sounds good. Most women have their own preferences for thses things, but will not be too picky in a pinch.

I would suggest something with a cardboard (not plastic) applicator for environmental reasons.

Sep 30 05 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

theda wrote:
The variety pack sounds good. Most women have their own preferences for thses things, but will not be too picky in a pinch.

See!

I never knew there was such a thing as a "variety pack" for tampons. That does sound the most sensible since different women would have different preferences.

Learn something new everyday.

Sep 30 05 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

My wife makes me buy Tampax 'super plus'
Big huge blue box with an orange swash accross the front.

Sep 30 05 12:13 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Well without being too detailed here women have a different flow , which is where the variety pack comes handy.

Eric please don't go sifting through the box looking for a plunger. You will be disappointed.

Sep 30 05 12:14 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
See!

I never knew there was such a thing as a "variety pack" for tampons. That does sound the most sensible since different women would have different preferences.

Learn something new everyday.

The variety pack thing is a pretty new.  Amazing no one marketed it before a couple years ago. So you are vindicated.

Sep 30 05 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Now a male photographer has to worry about dragging tampons around?  Seriously.  If a woman doesn't have the good sense to be prepared and her period starts during a shoot, she can fend for herself.  What about women who don't use tampons?  Should the photographer drag around a variety of maxipads, too?  I know!  I'll install a dispenser in the bathroom!  Maybe I could wear tampons in a bandolier around my chest! 

Has the concept of chivalry deteriorated so much that a man having tampons on his person is considered heroic?

Sep 30 05 12:22 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

William Kious wrote:
Now a male photographer has to worry about dragging tampons around?  Seriously.  If a woman doesn't have the good sense to be prepared and her period starts during a shoot, she can fend for herself.  What about women who don't use tampons?  Should the photographer drag around a variety of maxipads, too?  I know!  I'll install a dispenser in the bathroom!  Maybe I could wear tampons in a bandolier around my chest! 

Has the concept of chivalry deteriorated so much that a man having tampons on his person is considered heroic?

Hey, you're the one that has to photoshop out the blood stains if she's caught unaware. Have fun!

Sep 30 05 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

William Kious wrote:
If a woman doesn't have the good sense to be prepared and her period starts during a shoot, she can fend for herself.

A cursory glance at your portfolio shows me that, like many photographers, you shoot a lot of thin, pretty women. It may surprise you to know that, ESPECIALLY for women thin enough to model successfully, body weight can affect the regularity of a woman's period. I knew a gorgeous girl with perfect model proportions when I was in high school-- some months she might have three separate flows, and then go 4-6 months without a period at all. Unless you're ready to start shooting women who are exclusively on Depo or plus-sized models, it's something you have to understand isn't as predictable as you might be lead to believe by television. I mean, if it were like TV tampons would be all we talked about and we'd all leak gross blue stuff. Ew.

I don't have periods, personally, but the more I think about carrying tampons for female models, the better of an idea it seems.

Sep 30 05 12:32 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

dissolvegirl wrote:
A cursory glance at your portfolio shows me that, like many photographers, you shoot a lot of thin, pretty women. It may surprise you to know that, ESPECIALLY for women thin enough to model successfully, body weight can affect the regularity of a woman's period. I knew a gorgeous girl with perfect model proportions when I was in high school-- some months she might have three separate flows, and then go 4-6 months without a period at all. Unless you're ready to start shooting women who are exclusively on Depo or plus-sized models, it's something you have to understand isn't as predictable as you might be lead to believe by television. I mean, if it were like TV tampons would be all we talked about and we'd all leak gross blue stuff. Ew.

I don't have periods, personally, but the more I think about carrying tampons for female models, the better of an idea it seems.

That's not exactly true. It's not body weight so much as nutrition and heredity.  I've been 20-40 pounds underweight my entire adult life and you could set a clock by my ovaries.

Sep 30 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

theda wrote:
Hey, you're the one that has to photoshop out the blood stains if she's caught unaware. Have fun!

Hey, if the model was willing, I would make a theme out of it!  smile  If not, *click click* and they're gone.  I'm not insensitive, but my wife (and none of the women I dated before marriage) were ever caught "unprepared". 

Why do you think cars have gloveboxes?

Sep 30 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

ILLIXIT

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hey.. for those who dont mind the extra phallic bulge in their pocket...
(um, not the back one please.. butt to each their own)

Playtex Multi-pak Ultra decaf.

Sep 30 05 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

dissolvegirl wrote:

Wow... ummmmm... I think you may want to rethink your take on female biology.  A woman has to be seriously malnourished to experience amenorrhea (or a hard-core athlete.)  A woman's weight - unless you are talking about the extremes of malnutrition and obesity - has little to do with her menstrual cycle.  General health and genetics, yes  - the number on the scale, no.

And don't generalize about me, either.  I will shoot with anyone willing to pose (and have, for that matter.)  I don't care about body size, skin color or any other trivial issues.  I don't see any plus-size models in YOUR port.

Sep 30 05 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

This thread got me hungry!!

Sushi bar here i come !!

Sep 30 05 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

William Kious wrote:
I don't see any plus-size models in YOUR port.

That's because you're looking in the wrong portfolio. wink
http://www.istockphoto.com/litebox.php?liteboxID=275781

That's a small sampling of the "reality-sized" women (they'd kill me if I said "plus") that I've shot, and there's more on my personal website, elizabethshoemaker.com. I shoot anyone I can get in front of my camera, same as you. smile I just haven't posted any of them here, because there aren't a lot of plus-sized models on MM from my area (at least that I've found). It's all about tailoring your book to your audience.

Sep 30 05 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

theda wrote:

dissolvegirl wrote:
It's not body weight so much as nutrition and heredity.  I've been 20-40 pounds underweight my entire adult life and you could set a clock by my ovaries.

Theda, if I set a clock by your ovaries, could they read it? Should it be wind-up or battery? Alarm? Glow-in-the-dark?  You leave us with so many questions...
smile

Sep 30 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

dissolvegirl wrote:
I shoot anyone I can get in front of my camera, same as you. smile I just haven't posted any of them here, because there aren't a lot of plus-sized models on MM from my area (at least that I've found). It's all about tailoring your book to your audience.

There are very few "plus size" models located in my area as well.  I have some friends that I would love to have pose, but all of them are too self-conscious.  That seems to be the double-edged sword of shooting "reality-sized" women: models are too far away and non-models are uncomfortable with the idea.

If gas wasn't $2.90/gallon I would drive to them!

Sep 30 05 02:36 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
So, ladies, clue us single-guys into what brands and types you like the best.

But seriously, what kind do you like so we single male photographers can get an education on this.

Beaver Dam brand tampons are the best.

Sep 30 05 03:17 pm Link

Model

ashleyxo

Vista, California, US

theda wrote:
I would suggest something with a cardboard (not plastic) applicator for environmental reasons.

personally, i hate cardboard tampons hmm

Sep 30 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Oh C'mon!!  Women have an entire month to plan for this!  We're not talking about bloody noses here, that just suddenly happen!  Why do we have to be the ones to go to the store and buy tampons?  I hate it when my wife makes me do that...'cause then I have to buy a bunch of other shit that I didn't need.

"Honey?...why did you buy an issue of Field & Stream?"

Sep 30 05 04:20 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Varrious stress and other things can contribute to your period comming at an unexpected time.

Normally i'm prepared but once in a while your emergency tampon falls out of your bag, or is in another purse or you used it or gave it to a friend. 

Keeping a box of tampons under the sink in the studio is really the least you could do. Its not like it takes much effort on your part. Just buy a huge multipack and forget about it for what ...a few years?

It can save a model from having to stop the shoot and run to the store or ruining varrious backdrops/wardrobe.

Sep 30 05 04:38 pm Link

Model

Soshanna

Murrieta, California, US

I'm an OB fan - no applicator smile

just shove it up there.

seriously though haha

Sep 30 05 04:41 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

William Kious wrote:

Wow... ummmmm... I think you may want to rethink your take on female biology.  A woman has to be seriously malnourished to experience amenorrhea (or a hard-core athlete.)  A woman's weight - unless you are talking about the extremes of malnutrition and obesity - has little to do with her menstrual cycle.  General health and genetics, yes  - the number on the scale, no.

That isn't entirely true. I am very small, and although I am a perfectly healthy weight, if I'm seriously stressed out, overly active, or just not getting enough iron, it will stop for  a couple months.

Sep 30 05 05:00 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Wow, the thought is really quite a novel one, a photographer supplying tampons "just in case". I must say, I would always personally be prepared for any inevitability, so I would never expect a photographer to supply me anything with err strings attached!

Besides the "flow" comment on variety packs, women are different sizes too!!

Sep 30 05 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I have ibuprophen on hand, as well as a coffee maker and bobby pins, none of which I use regularly, but they're there in case someone needs them.  I don't see tampons as being any different.

Sep 30 05 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
Due to the topic in this thread, I have decided to start a new one.

The notion of photographers carrying a supply of tampons for models is really a brilliantly chivalric courtesy in my opinion.

However, I know nothing about brands and preferences becasue, well, I don't need to buy them.

So, ladies, clue us single-guys into what brands and types you like the best. Are some better than others? Are some more effective? ... Ribbed? Scented? Bettery-powered? (Oh, wait ... those are other things. Nevermind.)

But seriously, what kind do you like so we single male photographers can get an education on this. (I say "single male" because the females already know and the married men SHOULD know.)

get bounty paper towels "they are the quicker picker upper....and they get stronger when wet...." that was a joke....just so you dont think im serious!!!

Sep 30 05 05:31 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

ThePoser

Holiday, Florida, US

I think it is very nice that a photog would consider keeping a few "just in cases" around considering he has alot of females stopping by.

As far as planning, I didn't plan on getting pregnant either and I KNOW my cycle and like Theda, you can set a clock by it, yet I have 3 "OOPS" (kids) and all I can say is, shit happens.

For the ladies, look into the Keeper, or Instead. Very cool product!

Kaire

Sep 30 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

I guess it is a good idea to keep a box lying around.  Of course, if you plan on shooting Paris Hilton, you might want to consider keeping a pen of sheep instead. smile

Sep 30 05 06:32 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Ed Burns Photography wrote:
I guess it is a good idea to keep a box lying around.  Of course, if you plan on shooting Paris Hilton, you might want to consider keeping a pen of sheep instead. smile

LMAOOOOOOOO. Oh Ed, that was eye candy... thank-you for making me laugh. I needed to. Seems like I havent smiled in so long.

Sep 30 05 07:00 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

IMO, the models should have tampons with them anyway.  It's not the photographer's problem.  I make sure I have at least enough to get me to the store.

Sep 30 05 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i gave my wife a bag of cotton balls and some string and told her it was a make your own tampon kit...she did not laff.

Sep 30 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

BCG wrote:
i gave my wife a bag of cotton balls and some string and told her it was a make your own tampon kit...she did not laff.

Then you'd better make sure you never bring home a sheep with a rope tied to it's tail.

It could get VERY ugly

Sep 30 05 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Ed Burns Photography wrote:

Then you'd better make sure you never bring home a sheep with a rope tied to it's tail.

It could get VERY ugly

a sheep and a rope???...that could cause SEVERE dehydration!!!

Sep 30 05 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Q: what does visene and a tampon have in common?

A: they both get the red out.

Sep 30 05 07:58 pm Link

Model

simplyred

Oakland, California, US

dissolvegirl wrote:
That's a small sampling of the "reality-sized" women (they'd kill me if I said "plus")

Really?  I was under the impression that "plus" was an industry term.  That's the category I fit into and the phrase I embrace.  Although I do prefer the term "reality-sized" better.  The one phrase that I detest is "full-figured."

Sep 30 05 08:26 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

I like Platex but regardless of which brand you buy, you shouldn't get scented tampons. There are research that shows that scented tampons causes yeast infection. However, some research claims that Tampex scented tampons are made specifically for women. I'd rather be safe than sorry though.

Sep 30 05 08:31 pm Link

Model

simplyred

Oakland, California, US

nyx wrote:

That isn't entirely true. I am very small, and although I am a perfectly healthy weight, if I'm seriously stressed out, overly active, or just not getting enough iron, it will stop for  a couple months.

I must agree with you as well.  There are woman with only one ovary that works regularly which means a cycle every other month... weight not being an issue at all, but just how each woman's body functions.

Sep 30 05 08:31 pm Link