Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographers Charging For TFP! (2 Part Question)

Photographer

Danatko

New York, New York, US

Mary wrote:
this subject never ends here at MM.  Everyones insulted that people want to be paid.  Most people on these sites are not worth paying, thats true, mediocre looking "models" that could never get an agent as Alan said and most photographers on these sites frankly equally suck....they arent worth being paid either.  This makes for a great  tfp environment.  Everyone equally sucks and it's fair right?  the problem would be when someone good enters the mix, then money has to be exchanged ....is this so hard to understand???? 

Come on, who here is going to charge a super model for a TFP?  who here is going to charge A top fashion photographer for a TFP...you all get the concept no?  so why do we keep arguing about it?

I guess to make it fair we need a rating system on portfolios, that way we know who we have to pay to work with

AMEN Again!!!

Well said.

Oct 13 05 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

CO Model Amber wrote:
What's the deal with that? I thought TFP meant TIME FOR PRINTS as in you give the photographer your time and you get the prints/cd for free.

I'm just really curious!

Nah, you got the defination wrong, that's all
TFP= Time For Payment

Oct 13 05 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

CO Model Amber wrote:
What's the deal with that? I thought TFP meant TIME FOR PRINTS as in you give the photographer your time and you get the prints/cd for free.

You give the photographer your time, photographer gives you his/her time back and you're square. Or is it that photographers time doesn't count?

Oct 13 05 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i guess the implication is that the photographers time is not as valuable as the models time, seeings that the photographer has to compensate the model with prints....

Oct 13 05 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

J__

it kinda disgusts me how some photographers (NOT all, SOME) are so picky about their pricing... what i mean by picky is "1 print will be $x, 2 print will be $y, oh and then if u want that blown it'll be $xy" i mean common, just give me a FLAT RATE. maybe because i did quite a bit of acting and modeling so have had experience with such photographers, but for me i take photos because i ENJOY IT. sure making money with it is one of its perks. but i like to keep it simple. i'll give u a flat rate depending on what u want, then i provide u with a disk of all the images, u can go print as many copies as u want, and as big as u want. i've usually told ppl i work with my package include X amount of shots. but once i get into the shoot, ive been knwn to come out with sometimes more than double that. it just bugs me how theirs photographers out there that are so "professional" about their pricing and rates, yet their pictures are worse than the self portraits i can do.....

Oct 14 05 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Danatko

New York, New York, US

J__ wrote:
it kinda disgusts me how some photographers (NOT all, SOME) are so picky about their pricing... what i mean by picky is "1 print will be $x, 2 print will be $y, oh and then if u want that blown it'll be $xy" i mean common, just give me a FLAT RATE. maybe because i did quite a bit of acting and modeling so have had experience with such photographers, but for me i take photos because i ENJOY IT. sure making money with it is one of its perks. but i like to keep it simple. i'll give u a flat rate depending on what u want, then i provide u with a disk of all the images, u can go print as many copies as u want, and as big as u want. i've usually told ppl i work with my package include X amount of shots. but once i get into the shoot, ive been knwn to come out with sometimes more than double that. it just bugs me how theirs photographers out there that are so "professional" about their pricing and rates, yet their pictures are worse than the self portraits i can do.....

Well, as far as "photographers out there that are so "professional" about their pricing and rates, yet their pictures are worse than the self portraits i can do..... "
Its true and it happens. Photography is much about business and not about making photographs. I was reading about a photographer who did some child portraits, they are not extraordinary, but he makes around $2 million a year.
This goes on to my second point....

Your digust is only misunderstanding of their business model. Its not that they may be "picky" about it, but they may follow certain price structures and fee structures that are derived from analyzing market conditions, selling points, etc.
For example, your statement "i'll give u a flat rate depending on what u want" is not a flat rate. Your already saying its going to vary. You may opt to establish a price ceiling, and let the price fluctuate below it, but it is not a flat rate. Another example, if you decide to "provide u with a disk of all the images, u can go print as many copies as u want, and as big as u want", then you may need to consider price adjustments based on the loss of potential diminishing returns of your work.

I know you "like to keep it simple", but its not as simple as picking a number (price) and selling your entire work using the same fee structure. Its a business, and businesses have to follow certain principles of microeconomics in order to survive.

In a competitive market, producers are price "takers" not price "makers"....meaning, you cant just say Ill charge $1000 and give this and that. You have to place yourself (you meaning you and your prices), within the range of the established market.

-DM.

Oct 14 05 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Amber

As a photographer I have done and still some times still do TFP or TFCD. Before the shoot is even talked about we talk how many images the model will get. If there is a problem we do not shoot. I do try to explain what others here have said about cost of being a photographer. This is not a hobby for me. I make 100% of my families income by being a photographer. I have to have the right tools for my trade. I have to have a studio and all the costs that go along with that. I am a commercial shooter and most of my work is product shots so almost all work is done in studio. As far as a photographer wanting to charge you for a TFP job, that is wrong. Their is no charge for that unless you want more than what is agreed upon before hand.

As far as photographers charging for head shots or portfolio shots, that is common pratice. I do not know of any grocerey stores that gives or pays you to take food from them. They charge you a fee. As a photographer I charge a fee. That fee is based on many things. My costs (equipment, rent, insurance, bills, advertising, multiple portfolios, processing, printing, repairs, computers, software, and so on and so on), what my market charges, value to the client, client use, my salary, and I could go on. So for a photographer charging a fee is nothing new.

Negotiation is always an option if you want to work with a photographer but he wants to charge you. He may have a set fee, but may change it or wave it for photos he realy wants in his book or maybe stock shots. You as a model need to understand your costs as well. This helps you know if you are loosing money or making money. I rarely pay models for shots just for my portfolio. Most of my portfolio comes from paid jobs. My clients pay the modeling agency or pay my company and then I pay the agency or model. If I do TFP it is for an agreed upon # of edited & retouched images and there is no fee charged. I do paperwork on the job though. It get a job #, est., and invoice (even though no charge). It is tracked in my system as a job. This is my living. This is my business.

A long respons, sorry.

Oct 14 05 04:53 pm Link

Model

Danielle

Lakeland, Florida, US

I did not read most of this post so i bet someone already said this....but if a photographer offers you TFP/TFCD and then tries to charge you dont pay.

He was the one that offered the TFP....it's their bad, not yours...you didnt agree to pay for anything, so why should you.

Oct 15 05 01:32 am Link