Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographers Charging For TFP! (2 Part Question)

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

Avicdar wrote:

Amber..

Business is business.  Sit down and calculate the cost of equipment investment, and toss in a profit to stay in business.  The numbers will pretty much bear out what I am telling you.

Similarly, if a model is in it for business, they should and do charge a rate that allows them to continue to buy clothes, get manicures, keep their tan going, etc etc.  It only makes sense.  Whatever business you are in, you need to figure in the cost of new purchases and maintaining what you have.  Otherwise, what you are doing is a HOBBY.

As for 'its not our fault you spend so much on your equipment' - its not a matter of fault, its simply business economics.   I doubt very much you would desire to shoot with, or have much confidence, in someone with a cheap point and shoot camera who runs to 'Photo Shack' right after the session to get the film developed.   All this equipment costs money, and again, we're not talking about a hobby.

Very well said!!! Most people don't realize the back end of doing business. I shoot TFP with models who have invested in clothing, props and the like. I need more than a pretty face and a good body to photograph. There are many models here who have that. I want something more.

When I first started I didn't have much equipment and took what models I could get to learn. But now I have invested in more equipment and want models who reflect the same in their abilities and resources. The better I get the better caliber of model I want. The same goes for models. If a model has been at it for several years then they want a photographer who has been as well. It is only fair. Granted there are the exceptions to the rule. There always will be.

"TFP" is a "test shoot" is an "exchange of equipment, wardrobe and services that benefit both parties involved". Plain and simple.

Oct 02 05 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Oct 02 05 11:18 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

42 .... what game are we playing? wink

Oct 02 05 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Zabrena wrote:

42 .... what game are we playing? wink

It's code for "I'd like to charge for TFP."  tongue

Oct 02 05 11:22 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Ah ha! "I seeeee," said the blind man ... smile smile

Oct 02 05 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

CO Model Amber wrote:
What's the deal with that? I thought TFP meant TIME FOR PRINTS as in you give the photographer your time and you get the prints/cd for free.

Or what's with photographers who charge so much for so little? I've seen a lot of photographers charge $500+ for like 3-4 looks and then maybe 3-4 EDITED pictures and the same for prints 8x10 and sometimes all the raw images. I would expect a lot more for that kind of money!

Three part answer to a two part question:

TFP means "Time for Prints."  The model trades her time in exchange for prints from a photographer.

MFP means "Money for Prints."  That means you have to pay a photographer to take your pictures.

MFM means "Money for Modeling."  That means the photographer has to pay the model to model.

I really don't understand the question.  You are confusing two different issues.  Sometimes I really get confused.  There is nothing wrong with a photographer charging models to shoot them.  Indeed, I would expect that when a photographer gets good, if that is his aspiration, he will make at least part of his living doing portfolios.

L.A. is filled with wonderful photographers who make their living doing headshots for actors and portfolios for models.  Indeed, you comment on the price, I know some very sought after photographers who get referrals from the big agencies that charge, $5,000 or more to shoot a ten print portfolio for a model.  It is all relative and, so long as you are careful, you should get what you pay for.  Good photographers charge what their time is worth.

But the flip is I also hear photographers complaining about models wanting to get paid.  That is why they became models.  When they get to the point where they want money, they will either get bookings or not.  If they are good, they will move up the ladder and get fair value for their time.

Come on, this is a business.  Why do I keep reading posts complaining about models and photographers wanting to be paid?  The market will decide what they will get, and quite frankly, that is what this business is all about!

Oct 02 05 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It obviously wasn't an offer for TFP.  If the price is too high, it's too high.  Just ignore it and go on to the next one.

Paul

p.s. and suck your tummy in on those artistic nude shots. wink

Oct 03 05 12:34 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

:giggle: he he:  ha ha:

Oct 03 05 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

Avicdar wrote:

Amber..

Business is business.  Sit down and calculate the cost of equipment investment, and toss in a profit to stay in business.  The numbers will pretty much bear out what I am telling you.

Similarly, if a model is in it for business, they should and do charge a rate that allows them to continue to buy clothes, get manicures, keep their tan going, etc etc.  It only makes sense.  Whatever business you are in, you need to figure in the cost of new purchases and maintaining what you have.  Otherwise, what you are doing is a HOBBY.

As for 'its not our fault you spend so much on your equipment' - its not a matter of fault, its simply business economics.   I doubt very much you would desire to shoot with, or have much confidence, in someone with a cheap point and shoot camera who runs to 'Photo Shack' right after the session to get the film developed.   All this equipment costs money, and again, we're not talking about a hobby.

word! when i come across a model who has on an outfit that wasn't picked up at a local department store and out values my gear i'll pay them .
besides can you really charge a photographer for clothes and outfits that you were gonna wear anyway?

Oct 03 05 12:52 am Link

Photographer

twelve17

New York, New York, US

Avicdar wrote:

Amber..

I was in the middle of typing a similar reply, but you have stated the points much better than I could have.  Kudos.

Oct 03 05 01:04 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Mary wrote:

I have a clue as well who you are talking about and yea, the bait and switch is nasty.  If it's a paid test you call it a paid test if it's TFP call it a TFP.

completely agree.  I have dealt with confusing photographers before on this.  Now I make a point to ask them "is this a paid test or a free test/TFP?" just to get things straight.

Oct 03 05 04:32 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

TFP means "Time for Prints."  The model trades her time in exchange for prints from a photographer.

MFP means "Money for Prints."  That means you have to pay a photographer to take your pictures.

MFM means "Money for Modeling."  That means the photographer has to pay the model to model.

I really don't understand the question.  You are confusing two different issues.  Sometimes I really get confused.  There is nothing wrong with a photographer charging models to shoot them.  Indeed, I would expect that when a photographer gets good, if that is his aspiration, he will make at least part of his living doing portfolios.

I'm assuming she's concerned that some photographers in her experience called a shoot a "TFP" and then turned around and told her she needs to pay for the shoot, which makes the concept of the shoot different from a "TFP" by definition.  or at least that's how I interpreted it.

Oct 03 05 04:34 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

CO Model Amber wrote:
What's the deal with that? I thought TFP meant TIME FOR PRINTS as in you give the photographer your time and you get the prints/cd for free.

Or what's with photographers who charge so much for so little? I've seen a lot of photographers charge $500+ for like 3-4 looks and then maybe 3-4 EDITED pictures and the same for prints 8x10 and sometimes all the raw images. I would expect a lot more for that kind of money!

If this has been asked, sorry!

I'm just really curious!

Ok, first, you're right. Charging for TFP is a contradiction in terms. Charging for portfolio testing is not. However, for $500 getting 3-4 looks and 3-4 final images is not at all overcharging. Before all the digital cameras brought the amateur internet crowd in who did not know what they were doing, this was standard practice. Still is in many places with the agency crowd. 8x10 prints, I don't know what the hell is up with that except for typical internet amateurism, unless it's actors' headshots. 9x12 is model portfolio size.

What good does having all the raw images do you? When someone shoots film, do you want a print of each neg?

Believe me, I'm not the only one who works that way, and most of my colleagues in my area of the field work very much the same.

Oct 03 05 05:17 am Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Zach Watkins wrote:
word! when i come across a model who has on an outfit that wasn't picked up at a local department store and out values my gear i'll pay them .
besides can you really charge a photographer for clothes and outfits that you were gonna wear anyway?

I think you completely missed Avicdar's point, as he was saying models SHOULD charge a rate which reflects, among other things, wardrobe costs. Your logic is really bad here. By the same token, a model should be able to say, "Can a photographer really charge a model for a camera and equipment he'd have anyway? I mean, photographers love to shoot."

Assuming a model would own an extremely large wardrobe of various and sundry styles that she would constantly update to seem cutting edge is a lot like assuming you'd buy your lights, pay for a studio, and still get that nice camera and top-notch glass if all you were shooting were your kid's little league games.

Don't begrudge a model their tools. There are models on this site I would kill to PAY to pose for me, and while their look is part of the reason, what they bring to the table in terms of wardrobe, makeup, accessories and experience is worth their weight in gold. Look at Yaya's portfolio. Do you think a shoot with her and her gigantic black hand-made angel wings should not reflect the cost of making, time of making, and wear and tear on those wings because.. she would have worn them anyway?

Oct 03 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

L.A. is filled with wonderful photographers who make their living doing headshots for actors and portfolios for models.  Indeed, you comment on the price, I know some very sought after photographers who get referrals from the big agencies that charge, $5,000 or more to shoot a ten print portfolio for a model.  It is all relative and, so long as you are careful, you should get what you pay for.  Good photographers charge what their time is worth.

But the flip is I also hear photographers complaining about models wanting to get paid.  That is why they became models.  When they get to the point where they want money, they will either get bookings or not.  If they are good, they will move up the ladder and get fair value for their time.

Come on, this is a business.  Why do I keep reading posts complaining about models and photographers wanting to be paid?  The market will decide what they will get, and quite frankly, that is what this business is all about!

Well stated.
The internet has turned mediocre girls (at best) who could never model with an agency-
into "supposed models",
it's really quite laughable.
There are so few models on here that justify paying them,
and when I see average girls who would probably only look good nude,
and state "I don't do nudes....so don't even ask",
that's even more amusing.
Alittle off point,
but just a few observations.

Oct 03 05 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

tampabayphotos wrote:
I know one FL photographer who "targets" new-to-the-business unknowing models who appear on "new model" lists on OMP and other sites. (he snags them before they know what hit them) At that point they are too new to modeling and don't know any other models to network with so that they will know who (especially him) to avoid.

He tells girls he is doing a "free" TFP shoot for them and then after he does the "free" TFP shoot he fast-talks them into paying him $400 to make, and upload 5 photos, to a FREE OMP page that all models can do and get for free for themselves. He has done this more than once....and is probably still doing it today to any newbie he can sucker out.

Talk about a used car salesman with a camera! Phewwwwww

He's even worse than a GWC!

We've got a few vultures like that here in Chicago.

Oct 03 05 12:58 pm Link

Model

RED

Coventry, Rhode Island, US

i don't normally read the forums on here so I have no Idea how long this has been up or if anyone else is still reading it

but

I just have to leave my comment now

asl far as I have ever known T.F.P means time for pirints you get my time I get prints  who cares how many I am not paying for it.

....Personally I think that most of this thread is a load of **** modeling is supposed to be fun and a way to get out there if your good.  Photoagraphy is almost the same you have to love doing it and be good at it or you make no money companies and such buy these photagraphers work and it has to be good. I think that the whole $500 chare you have been talking about is completly reasonable and hey if that is what the photagrapher ask for and you don't like don't do the shoot.  You are supposed to have disscused all that stuff in advace anyway so you know what to expect.  I don't think I know any photagrapher or model that would go into a shoot blind.  You can't complain if you agreed to it. 

I think that all the complaing needs to stop if you got into modeling thinking it was free ride to get your pic taken the your wrong  go buy a point and shoot at the corner store and hang out with your friends. 

Photographers, model, wardrobe people, and stylist put alot of time and money into doing what they do. SO they can charge what they want to charge and if you don't like it go somewhere else thats all there is to it.

Oct 03 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

RED wrote:
Photographers, model, wardrobe people, and stylist put alot of time and money into doing what they do. SO they can charge what they want to charge and if you don't like it go somewhere else thats all there is to it.

That's it. Discussion Over.

Oct 03 05 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

nm

Oct 03 05 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

well i thought i knew all the dirt..but i dont know who the hell you guys..(bill, zab) are talking about....

Oct 03 05 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

KARIMMUHAMMAD

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Now tell me who pays the photographer fees when his/hers camera needs to be service? I think models get more out of the deal when photographers do TFP's.
I'm talking about good photographers...........Models are spoiled today!!!!
You have to charge something for your time. $50.00,$100.00!!!!!

-Peace
Karim Muhammad

Oct 03 05 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

CO Model Amber wrote:

let me correct you

TFP = Time For Payment

TFCD = Time for Creative Development

Oct 03 05 09:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

this subject never ends here at MM.  Everyones insulted that people want to be paid.  Most people on these sites are not worth paying, thats true, mediocre looking "models" that could never get an agent as Alan said and most photographers on these sites frankly equally suck....they arent worth being paid either.  This makes for a great  tfp environment.  Everyone equally sucks and it's fair right?  the problem would be when someone good enters the mix, then money has to be exchanged ....is this so hard to understand???? 

Come on, who here is going to charge a super model for a TFP?  who here is going to charge A top fashion photographer for a TFP...you all get the concept no?  so why do we keep arguing about it?

I guess to make it fair we need a rating system on portfolios, that way we know who we have to pay to work with

Oct 04 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Mary.  Word.

Oct 04 05 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

CO Model Amber wrote:

That is pretty much what I charge, but I dont give edited pictures or prints. I give a cd with all images RAW, and with websized images. I m not a graphic artist to do the retouching work and Im not a lab to print images. If the model wants retouching, I refer her to a guy I work with, if she wants prints I can print them at the lab I use or refer her to different labs.

Before digital, you would get the rolls of film and some prints or contact sheet. The cd takes the place of all that.

Oct 04 05 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

tampabayphotos wrote:
I know one FL photographer who "targets" new-to-the-business unknowing models who appear on "new model" lists on OMP and other sites. (he snags them before they know what hit them) At that point they are too new to modeling and don't know any other models to network with so that they will know who (especially him) to avoid.

He tells girls he is doing a "free" TFP shoot for them and then after he does the "free" TFP shoot he fast-talks them into paying him $400 to make, and upload 5 photos, to a FREE OMP page that all models can do and get for free for themselves. He has done this more than once....and is probably still doing it today to any newbie he can sucker out.

Talk about a used car salesman with a camera! Phewwwwww

He's even worse than a GWC!

Hmmmmm Sound familiar.. is he out of Miami ?

Oct 04 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Well I have said this before, and was also stated today, tfp/cd is time for print, photog give shooting time, model gives her time.
after the shoot, model goes on her way to do what she wants, that's fine.
after the shoot, the photog, eventually has to sit behind the computer for
several hrs1-2 / 2.5 hrs, "working the images.
Is that time suppose to be free also?? I mean I could find something else to do with that tiime.
Yes I do tfcd, i give the model a cd with almost all (unless some of the shots are really bad) lo res cd ready for internet. I tell the model this up front.
I still have to be behind the computer don't forget.

what do you guys think about that.?????

Oct 04 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

George ephrem wrote:
Well I have said this before, and was also stated today, tfp/cd is time for print, photog give shooting time, model gives her time.
after the shoot, model goes on her way to do what she wants, that's fine.
after the shoot, the photog, eventually has to sit behind the computer for
several hrs1-2 / 2.5 hrs, "working the images.
Is that time suppose to be free also?? I mean I could find something else to do with that tiime.
Yes I do tfcd, i give the model a cd with almost all (unless some of the shots are really bad) lo res cd ready for internet. I tell the model this up front.
I still have to be behind the computer don't forget.

what do you guys think about that.?????

And that I think is the issue.. Once the shoot is over the models time is done. THe photographers time still goes on. That's why I don't see a problem with a small charge for basically doing editing and retouching. If the model took the files to a retoucher to get rid of blemishes or to even out skin tone or whatever, she/he would have to pay.. So what's wrong with paying the photographer for that??  Assuming the photographer knows what they are doing..

In general, with digital, the photographer will put in 2-4 hours additional that the model never puts in.. With film the lab in essence did the post work..   MHO...

Oct 04 05 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

My opinion remains the same, and I wish the original poster understands a little about business and economics.  Mostly, it is summed up in one word:  VALUE.

A professional-grade photographer has invested lots of money in his equipment and many years of pain to refine his (I will just use his to include her for now) craft.  It is a learned skill on top of the talent.  The amount of competition drops as his images become stronger and the field narrowed.  His value goes up.  His products are sought-after and will make an advertisement (for example) pop or scream.  He presents value to his clients.  This value is a dollar value that his clients are willing to pay for and the market dictates that.

Same applies for professional-grade models.  Most of them have invested time in acting classes, dance classes etc to learn about their bodies and learn to project emotions or an appearance that a director/photographer wants.  In order to finish a project (that involves a model), her skill presents value to the art director and/or the photographer.  That value would be paid for.  How many more people would look at an ad with Kate Moss in it?  That's a value proposition.

Now, for the new models, there is little or no skills.  The onlyl thing a new model has is the luck to have been born with beauty.  For that, thank the parents.  For an experienced photographer, there is little value in that especially since the competition is huge, just walk onto any college campus.  The supply is big and the demand for unskilled worker (unskilled new model) is low.  Prices goes down, asymtotically to zero.  Don't expect to be paid just because you are pretty, you have some serious competitions.

If a new girl (note I did not use the word "model", it applies also to "guy") needs professional-grade images, he/she just created a "need".  The "need" can only be fulfilled by a professional-grade photographer, who in the value-chain, is way ahead of the girl.  His value to the girl is actually the combined income that the girl can potentially make after his images of her get her work.  That value has to be compensated.  And depending on how good these images are, the photographer's value would change.  Note, in this case, the value of the girl to the photographer is zero.  The value of the photographer to the girl is large.  It is this difference in value proposition that creates the transaction, and hence, dollar flows.

By the way, good luck finding someone who would shoot you for free and give you the quality that people like Christian Behr , Eric Striffler or Darryl Martin or Chip Willis can.  Forget it.

This applies the other way, too.  A new person with a camera would like to learn how to take pictures.  His skill is little and therefore his images are of little economic value.  If he wants to shoot a professional-grade model, then since his value proposition is zero while the model's value proposition to him is large, he will have to pay money out of his pocket.  How much the model's worth to him is up to him, since he is the market now and market sets the price.

So, it all depends on which way the value bias is tilted.  If the photographer presents more value, then he gets paid.  If the model presents higher value, then the model gets paid.

The idea of TFP or TFCD is for people of roughly "equal" value with the photographer's value proposition slightly lower than the model's, so there is little economic value flow between the two.  The idea of Time for Print is assuming that the photographer's time is worth less than the model's, which means it has to be compensated with tangible items like prints or CDs.  I personally cannot see why that is the case, but some people like it, so let the free market dictates how it should work.

Does this make ANY sense at all?  smile  Crap, I wrote too much again.  tongue

PS: EDIT:  I hasten to add that this is responding to the second part of the original poster's question, not the first part.

Oct 04 05 04:02 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Nope - Tampa, FL

Dax wrote:

Hmmmmm Sound familiar.. is he out of Miami ?

Oct 04 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

lll wrote:
My opinion remains the same, and I wish the original poster understands a little about business and economics.  Mostly, it is summed up in one word:  VALUE.

I think that summed it up nicely...
My situation is such that I have no interest in hiring models or being hired to shoot models...I've worked as a commercial/editorial/portrait photographer for over 20 years, and I simply shoot people I find interesting.  I tend to find attractive females interesting, so I shoot a lot of them...but some are models, some are beginner/amateur/wannabe models, and many are just people I meet.
My own pet peeve, and I think this is relevant to the "charging for tfp" question, are the "photographers" with point and shoots who write 500 word bios and list dozens of spurious "projects" they are working on as a means to self-aggrandize.  What amazes me more is when I see said "photographers" with crap images and a list of "ooooh, nice work" tags...usually from mercenary models with several similarly spurious credits who are looking to play some poor middle aged sucker into forking over the bucks for what amounts to 2 hours of private time with a strip...er, model.
That said, it's a free market, so have at it...

Oct 04 05 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I never mislead a girl. If they want TFP from me, I tell them don't expect much maybe 1 websized image from each wardrobe change, you'll have to pay for a makeup artist if you want one AND you'll have to wait until I'm shooting with model that has paid me to shoot them because I'll already be in the studio at that time.

I have found a way to combat the I want ALL MY RAW IMAGES. I have started charging a small sitting/standing/posing fee, we'll shoot all you want, but you'll have to pay for each image you want.

There have been some models I would like to pay to shoot that I'm too p*ssy to approach because  I think for some reason I'd waste my money from being to  scared to shoot good stuff..

Oh well life goes on... DOWN WITH TFP - UP WITH PAID SHOOTS

Oct 04 05 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

TFP = Time for Pennies...lots and lots of pennies!!

Oct 04 05 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Here is my current TFCD offer...

Stage 1: We meet, we shoot, depending time, wardrobe, blah blah, we'll capture anywhere between 85 to 350+ photos.

Stage 2: Determine how quickly model needs her CD.  The longer she lets me take before getting her the images, the images I can edit before burning the CD.  I try to edit no less than 10 photos.

Stage 3: All unedited photos are resized to 752x500 with low compression.  Those and all the FULL-RESOLUTION JPEGs are burned onto a CD

Stage 4: Mail CD; Model has option to request edits for photos I did not choose to edit and when complete, will be e-mailed.

Special Consideration

Some models like I edit photos because they are good with photoshop, graphic designers, blah blah.  For them, I'm willing to burn all high resolution JPEGs images onto a CD or DVD.

I provide NO PRINTS.  Those cost me money to produce so if they want actual prints, then there'll be a charge.

Oct 04 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Vita Brevis wrote:
What amazes me more is when I see said "photographers" with crap images and a list of "ooooh, nice work" tags...usually from mercenary models with several similarly spurious credits who are looking to play some poor middle aged sucker into forking over the bucks for what amounts to 2 hours of private time with a strip...er, model.

Vita, well said, it's called "the likes attract".  One of the few exceptions from the law of "opposites attract".  smile  I love that stripper analogy.  ROFLMAO.

Oct 04 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

BendingLight

Red Bank, New Jersey, US

lll wrote:
[...]

Does this make ANY sense at all?  smile

[...]

yes, you make perfect sense, and you stated it very clearly and accurately.  if the skill levels are somewhat different, either money or generosity flows to provide equity....

Oct 04 05 06:12 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Thanks everyone for the post!

I just didn't understand why they charged for "TFP" it was like $95 and you got only one look. I contacted them back and told them I've never heard of being charged for "TFP" I havent heard back. :Luaghing:

Oct 13 05 01:51 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

unless it's actors' headshots. 9x12 is model portfolio size.

In the interest of being complete, that's not completely fair either Marko.  It really depends on your market.  Some do 9x12, some do 9.5x13, etc.  Your market may vary.

I guess to make it fair we need a rating system on portfolios, that way we know who we have to pay to work with

That's a scary thought Mary.  That's exactly in my opinion what brought down OMP.  The problem is that you have too many people with no clue who vote strictly base on what's "pretty".  Thus you have those guy who were extremely popular on OMP bubbling up to the surface as being the "best", when in all actuality they're really good, but have no interest in shooting what the industry wants or expects.

It's a good idea in theory, I just don't think it works on the Internet.

A Hamilton

Oct 13 05 09:14 am Link

Photographer

The Photo Chick

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
It obviously wasn't an offer for TFP.  If the price is too high, it's too high.  Just ignore it and go on to the next one.

Paul

p.s. and suck your tummy in on those artistic nude shots. wink

How nice of you to add that bit o' advice.......(grin)

Oct 13 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Danatko

New York, New York, US

Mary wrote:

It isn't unscrupulous to charge for a portfolio test.  TFP stands for Trade for prints, nowadays that would probably be TFCD.  Testing is different, paid testing is when a model pays a photographer for shots for her or his portfolio.  Some photographers do this for a living, they don't need shots for their books they just do this for a living and some are very good at consistantly giving the agents what they want. Agents in fact send their models to this kind of photographer often.   I work with a photographer in LA that charges $800.00, including makeup artist but he is very good, too good to be doing model testing in my opinion but he needs the money and LA is very competitive, it's hard to make a living in photography there.

I think it's time for people to expand into the real world, what you see reflected on these pages doesn't reflect what goes on in the real world of professional modeling and photography.  If you ever email a very good working photographer and ask about a TFP there is a good chance he or she is going to delete your email not even knowing what they hell you are talking about.  If you ask about testing he or she will probably come back with a price....if he or she is really successful you just insulted him or her by even asking about a test and probably won't even get a reply.

Sorry people, thats the way it is...I am not intending to insult the nice people here that do test and do TFP but it's important for models to know that this isnt standard industry jargon.

AMEN!!!

Amber.....and that was not comming from a photographer!!

TO be honest, I regularly hear those "top" photographers make fun of all the people here! Models And Photographers!!  This is just how the real world works. If the model is good enough, the agency may cover the cost. If the model finds a well respected, published photographer, she would have to pay. Situations vary, but many great photographers DO charge for their time, and its worth every penny! Just stop looking here and start looking around town and youll see.

Oct 13 05 04:18 pm Link