Forums > Model Colloquy > Hair Matters.... What Shampoo is the best?

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I used to use Herbal Essences and it made my hair nice and shiny and smooth. And then my friend told me the herbal shampoos aren't good for your hair so I tried Thermasilk and I hated it.

What is the best kind to use? That isn't terribly expensive.

Oct 05 05 12:05 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I go through several different brands year....It all depends on your hair type...

Pantene ProV has worked well for me (both the Smotth and Silky and the Relaxed and Natural

Oct 05 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

brett ferguson

Sacramento, California, US

Gimme a breaaaak! Go read the ads- don't waste space and bandwidthwith such a stuipid question!

Oct 05 05 12:10 pm Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

brett ferguson wrote:
Gimme a breaaaak! Go read the ads- don't waste space and bandwidthwith such a stuipid question!

whatever! maybe i'm lazy.

Oct 05 05 12:14 pm Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

IsabelAurora wrote:
I go through several different brands year....It all depends on your hair type...

Pantene ProV has worked well for me (both the Smotth and Silky and the Relaxed and Natural

Oct 05 05 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I honestly don't see how a model asking about hair care products is a stupid question.  And reading ads won't give any kind of information about how well a product works.  How many ads actually say, "this product sucks, so don't buy it"?

Oct 05 05 12:26 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

brett ferguson wrote:

Not a necessary comment in my opinion. If you don't like it you're only a click away from being away from it smile

Oct 05 05 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

I'm a big fan of Dove Shampoo and Conditioner. My hair's so long and fine, it goes a long way to giving my hair some much-needed body.

Oct 05 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Nyx Valentine Photo

Aliso Viejo, California, US

*Not a full time model, but occassionally...*  I personally adore Netragena (spelling?) products.  They're a little bit pricey, but in my opinion, worth it.  My hair, which is waist length, and impossible, actually looks decent when I use their "Triple Moisture" stuff.

Oct 05 05 01:23 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I honestly don't see how a model asking about hair care products is a stupid question.  And reading ads won't give any kind of information about how well a product works.  How many ads actually say, "this product sucks, so don't buy it"?

Thanks Brian!  You said it, so I didn't have to. I swear, some people, lol.

Oct 05 05 01:27 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Oh yea- and to actually answer the question-  not sure which the absolute "best" shampoo conditioner combo is- but an easy way to know is check the ingredients, you want the most basic, natural shampoo you can find.  The more fragrance, additives, chemicals, etc. there are, the more you run the risk of build up and dandruff.  Also, it's best to alternate between shampoos, so it's good to switch shampoo/conditioner at least every month to every two months.  Your hair will get immune to a particular product after too long.  Hope this helps! smile

-Dana

Oct 05 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley

Los Angeles, California, US

Pantene, Herbal essences are bad shampoos, and horrible as conditioners.  (Fructis is better, but not that much)

Normally it doesn't matter what you're using as a shampoo, it's the conditioner that matters.

However, if the shampoo includes alcohol (stearic is ok), then it'll most likely sap moisture from your hair.

Pantene uses wax in their conditioners to promote shininess in your hair, this wax, after time, will leech out vitamins that keep your hair healthy.

I suggest Aveda Conditioner depending on your hair - But a volumizing one usually works well.

It's up to you to pick a shampoo, Personally I use Shiseido.  Another fantastic brand I've used is Kerastase.  Usually salon brand hair products work pretty well, but they're expensive if you don't know where or how to get them.

Oct 05 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Dana Frazier wrote:

Thanks Brian!  You said it, so I didn't have to. I swear, some people, lol.

I just wish I had some real advice for the OP.  I've been using the same bottle of Bed Head Control Freak shampoo for the past 6 months (I have short hair...).

Oct 05 05 01:34 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Brian Diaz wrote:
I just wish I had some real advice for the OP.  I've been using the same bottle of Bed Head Control Freak shampoo for the past 6 months (I have short hair...).

Lol see this proves my point! I spent like $30 on the Bead Head shampoo and conditioner and I hated it! It smells so good I wish it worked better for me smile

Oct 05 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

You know that big yellow bottle of dish detergent for 99 cents

Recomended by 9 outa 10 Fine hairstylest...

When your done with your hair...

The green tube with Bio-Dyne of Preperation-H

For your Face

Your Smiley Face...

(:---------

Hj

Oct 05 05 01:37 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

brett ferguson wrote:

This site is just as much for models, MUA, Hairstylists,and stylist than for the " photographers". Never forget that without all of them you would be shooting nature scene wink
As far as the best shampoo on the market there is no such thing, and i will tell you why.
Each hair types react different to shampoos and conditioners. so you have to find something that is best for your hair type.
IF you have color in your hair , the best on the market right now is a product called " pureology" they have shampoos and conditioners , not too expensive and after working with most brands i can see the difference when my clients returns.( specially if you have highlights and lowlights ).
You can use the conditioning in the line as well for all hairtypes.
Many other brands  professional or not will work for you , but after a while your hair will get use to it so it's always good to have a few to switch around with.
Usually stay away from the "cheap" shampoos they have the same ingredients than laundry detergents. ( i did a demonstration years ago with purrel shampoo and gave a beautiful perm. the alkaline level is the same as a perm  ).
Smells and lathering is nice but again look at the ingredients, most are trying to cover up something with this. and for last dont beleive the magazine comparaisons as they test only smell and lather , not what it really does to your hair.plus they get payed for the advertisements .
Hope that helped, Good luck!

Oct 05 05 05:11 pm Link

Model

Cristina Marie

New York, New York, US

brett ferguson wrote:

How rude!!!

Anyway, it looks like you ahve naturally straight and thick hair, like me.  I live by the dove foaming conditioners and shampoos, they are really awesoem and don't weigh down your hair, they're not too expensive, but they also last longer than most others i've tried!!   hope this helps

Oct 05 05 05:27 pm Link

Model

Inamourada Flux

Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom

I personally adore Herbal Essences.

My hair is coloured, so obviously I use the shampoo and conditioner for coloured/processed hair. It works wonders - doesn't wash out my colour and leaves my hair smooth and shiney. Considering how mistreated my hair is with dyes and such, this is an achievement.

A hairdresser friend of mine recommended TreSemme to me. I used it for a while, trusting his opinion and the fact that it'd been 'used in salons', but it really was a waste of money for the price. Made my hair look lank and dull.

So yes, Herbal Essences smile I also recommend the leave-in conditioning treatment.

Oct 05 05 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

For what it's worth...  smile

I have more shampoo and conditioners than most girls I know, and they want my hair.  So:

1)  Everyday use - Tres Semme Shampoo and Conditioner, two sets for different seasons.
2)  Once a week - Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo (to get rid of the chemical residue) followed by St. Ives Intensive Hair Repair conditioner
3)  After swim - Amway Sports 2-in-1 (to remove the chlorine junk and leave it silky soft)

By the way, the trick is to change the products you use once in a while.

**  Opening a can of worm MM-style **

Is it sexual harassment if models keep running their hands through a photographer's hair (not that I am complaining).  smile

Oct 05 05 05:31 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Lilian

I use Bed Head.

other products:
Redken
Sexy Hair Concepts
Aveda

If there were two different pizza brand that sell the same exact topping.  One is cheaper than the other, do you really think the taste is the same?  Haha okay maybe a bad example but I dig Professional Products verses Department Store Products.  You should always take care your mind, body, and soul.  Anyways!!1

Oct 05 05 06:39 pm Link

Model

Lydia

Tempe, Arizona, US

Stanley wrote:
Pantene, Herbal essences are bad shampoos, and horrible as conditioners.  (Fructis is better, but not that much)

Normally it doesn't matter what you're using as a shampoo, it's the conditioner that matters.

However, if the shampoo includes alcohol (stearic is ok), then it'll most likely sap moisture from your hair.

Pantene uses wax in their conditioners to promote shininess in your hair, this wax, after time, will leech out vitamins that keep your hair healthy.

So true... Don't use Pantene!!! The ads lie, the picture are fake and Pantene will destroy your hair!!! Seriously, beside experiancing it myself, I have now heard countless Pantene horror stories. Save Yourself!
smile
BTW: I like Tresseme

Oct 05 05 06:49 pm Link

Model

Lydia

Tempe, Arizona, US

lll wrote:
For what it's worth...  smile

**  Opening a can of worms MM-style **

Is it sexual harassment if models keep running their hands through a photographer's hair (not that I am complaining).  smile

*runs fingers thru LLL's hair*
Of course it isn't, big boy.
smile

Oct 05 05 06:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

xLoLLy wrote:
I used to use Herbal Essences and it made my hair nice and shiny and smooth. And then my friend told me the herbal shampoos aren't good for your hair so I tried Thermasilk and I hated it.

What is the best kind to use? That isn't terribly expensive.

I like to use pantene ... Or you can have your hair stylist inform you of what is best. Like shampoos that you can't buy over the counter for example. They tend to be the best ones

Oct 05 05 06:51 pm Link

Model

Clara Turk

Dayton, Alabama, US

I have an addiction for expensive shampoo, like Aveda. Smells so good and makes my hair look so nice wink
Biggest problem I have right now is deciding on whether or not to layer my hair. Several people have suggested it but I am afraid of getting haircuts. One bad experience ruins them all.

Oct 05 05 06:51 pm Link

Model

xLoLLy

Buffalo, Illinois, US

Wow, thanks so much for all the help. Now to choose! hhhehe big_smile

Oct 05 05 08:21 pm Link

Model

Reina

BRONX, New York, US

Tres Semme Shampoo and Conditioner is what I use.

Oct 05 05 08:24 pm Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

since i color treat my hair, im a redhead, and i love the John Frieda shampoos, i use the Brilliant Red for redheads, there is also the ones for blondes and brunettes, definitely brings out my red  smile

Oct 05 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Alli B wrote:
since i color treat my hair, im a redhead, and i love the John Frieda shampoos, i use the Brilliant Red for redheads, there is also the ones for blondes and brunettes, definitely brings out my red  smile

I used John Frieda exclusively when I was in London.  It seems to work wonders with the crazy hard water prevalent in the city.

I love Seattle...no hard water.  smile

Oct 05 05 08:31 pm Link

Model

KristenMarie

Amherst, Maine, US

John Frieda deff. is a good brand. i dyed my hair last summer to blonde and now i dyed it back to to my almost natural color, dark brown. i use john frieda's brilliant brunette everyday and i have no roots whatsoever. i love it smile

Oct 05 05 10:35 pm Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

This is an appropriate topic....as we Models depend on good hair days!

I have lots of wavy baby fine hair...and so Its really delicate but voluminous. But since moving to Vegas, its gotten really damaged from the sun/dry desert heat/ stress/hard water mineral content. I'm traumatized I've had to cut 3 inches off. Now I have to wait for it to grow back healthy or get extensions, as I am pretty impatient.  I also use UltraHair from the Health food store...that works really well.

BEST STUFF:

Pave Professional (buy it at Walgreens)
ProVitamin FX
Herbal Essences
Neutrogena
Pantene for Fine Hair
Prell (lol, yes this makes my hair rock)
Any kind of Soy Protein conditioner

WORST STUFF:

Thermasilk
TresSemme
Suave (dried my hair out)

Oct 05 05 11:01 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

i love kerastase.

Oct 05 05 11:04 pm Link

Model

Shura

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

I mostly use Fructis line, and always get compliments on my hair smile

Oct 06 05 12:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

It's been said before, but I'll say it again.  It depends on your hair.  But I find that Redken, TiGi BedHead and Bumble&Bumble all offer great shampoos and conditioners.  Stay away from the drugstore stuff.

Oct 06 05 12:32 am Link

Model

Victor

Fremont, California, US

I'm a big fan of Bumble&Bumble Tonic.

Oct 06 05 12:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

brett ferguson wrote:

And that is really stupid advise.  Do you really believe everything they tell you in ads?

Oct 06 05 12:57 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Im a huge fan of pantene with the amino proteins. Get the one with the shampoo plus conditioner in one. The other shampoo that I love is the VS shampoo! That stuff rocks!

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/images/ … 246738.jpg

Oct 06 05 01:48 pm Link

Model

MONST3R

Baltimore, Maryland, US

matrix color smart for colored hair (of course) and matrix biolage for every other kind of hair

Oct 07 05 01:52 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

brett ferguson wrote:

But ads LIE!

Filthy, bald-face lies to part us from our money.

I'm currently using Aubrey Organics. No sulfates, no silicones. Very gentle.

I also don't shampoo every day, less wear and tear on the hair. It's made a big difference.

Oct 07 05 03:44 pm Link

Model

Soshanna

Murrieta, California, US

I am an absolute Die Hard Bed Head fan.. their styling products are AMAZING.. and they have many variations of shampoo for each hair type. They also have the best smell you will ever smell in a shampoo.. it smells like you are actually about to eat fruit. I love it.

Oct 07 05 03:54 pm Link

Model

Soshanna

Murrieta, California, US

oh and the reason that the drugstore brands feel like they leave your hair soft and great is because they leave a lot of residue on your hair .. that residue gives you the impression that your hair is soft, when in fact.. it is really covered in residue. A good shampoo will leave your hair feeling clean... and your hair will not be weighed down.

Oct 07 05 03:56 pm Link