Forums > Model Colloquy > I have a story for you... does it ring a bell?

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

There's this guy with an oven, and he isn't a bad cook. He wants to make a nice cake. Trouble is, he hasn't got any ingredients.
He looks on the web to see who's selling all the stuff that goes into a great cake. Only the best, top-class ingredients will do for this guy. {Phew}... he says, when he sees the price for the ingredients: " a bit dear!"

There's this girl on the web who's got all the ingredients and she could sell them but it seems that most of the cooks don't want to pay to make good cakes! She's hungry and doesn't have an oven.

The guy emails her: "hey, you've got the mix, I got the oven, why not bring your ingredients  'round to my place 50 miles away, and
we'll bake the cake together and share out the fine cake?!

The girl says: "Sure... I'm hungry. I'll drive over tomorrow."
The next day, the cook hears a knock at the door.

"I didn't know what kind of cake you wanted us to bake", the girl says, pulling a massive trolley case in through the door and lugging it up the stairs to the cook's kitchen.

The cook is overjoyed, eying the ingredients, and dreaming of the cake they'll soon make!

Three hours later, sweat and heat... a job done well. The cook opens up the oven, the girl is clearing up and putting away the unused cake mix, and pausing - looks over her shoulder, wipes back the sweat from her brow, and sees a great cake!

"Gee..." she says "that's a great cake we made!"

The cook turns around - barely able to wait as he cuts a great bit slice and crams it into his greedy mouth. "Heaven..!" he says, then takes a Polaroid snapshot of the cake.

The girl, still struggling to pack everything she bought with her back into the case, whispers... "can I have a piece of the great cake we made together?'
The cook looks at her quizzically... before thrusting his hand out benevolently...

"Here...", he says. "This picture proves you have all the right stuff to make a great cake. Put it on your web site and tomorrow, everyone will want to buy your ingredients."

The girl looks at the photo. She loves the image of the cake they made.. and drives home the 50 miles happily, peeking at the photo of the cake nurtured on her lap.

She feels hungry as she arrives home, and remembering what the cook said, duly loads the cake picture onto her web site and puts the cook's name there in honor and respect for their great cooking together, and the great oven, and the great ingredients that made that great cake. Wow! They made this great cake together.

She goes to bed hungry, but happy - the picture of the great cake with her great ingredients, pinned to the wall above her bed.

Fifty miles way, the cook goes to bed - belly full  and even some  cake left for the morning. He sleeps a deep and satisfied sleep.
A week later
There's this guy with an oven, and he isn't a bad cook. He wants to make a nice cake. Trouble is, he hasn't got any ingredients.

There's this girl on the web who's got all the ingredients and she could sell them but it seems that most of the cooks don't want to pay to her for her ingredients to make great cakes! She's hungry and doesn't have an oven.

She wonders why:  if she has all of these great ingredients, and  a web site to sell them on, and all these lovely pictures to show what great cakes she helps to make... why does no-one ever buy them.

The moral of this story is TFP!
If you bake a cake with someone, take home half the cake.
If someone wants all the cake, charge them for the ingredients.
As long as cooks get all the cake, ingredient-owners sleep hungry!
But boy... do they have nice pics. Trouble is - the guy who took the picture - not only ate the cake.. but owns that picture too!

Oct 08 05 08:12 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm sorry, but I must report you to the Analogy Police now.

M

Oct 08 05 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Reflections

GMH Images wrote:
The moral of this story is TFP!
If you bake a cake with someone, take home half the cake.
If someone wants all the cake, charge them for the ingredients.
As long as cooks get all the cake, ingredient-owners sleep hungry!
But boy... do they have nice pics. Trouble is - the guy who took the picture - not only ate the cake.. but owns that picture too!

Wouldn't that be TFC then? TFP would clearly involve pie or pastries

Oct 08 05 08:51 am Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

HAha "analogy police"!!!!!

It was great though, good advice!!

Oct 08 05 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

[smartass mode] You'd almost think you were trying to be analogeous to a TFP/CD shooting arrangement - - but it's not!  [/smartass mode]

The ingredients, for one thing, are physical property owned by the girl. She paid for them (in some way) and gave them away for a photo. Bad business deal

A TFP/CD model on the other hand didn't have to lay out money (or services) for her "body/face/look". Clothes she comes with, she had, and if she went out and bought new clothes, she is keeping them.  Secondly, a TFP/CD model is bringing home, usually, more than one "snapshot". In most cases, she is getting a few prints or at least, something SHE NEEDS, images to get her more/real paying work. If she's just starting out, it's a COB matter. The girl who brought the indgredients may have went home with a snapshot, but she also went home with a marketing tool she didn't have before, the photo of what her "ingredients" can do. Like they say, "Give a starving man a fish and he'll eat that day, teach him how to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime".

Oct 08 05 08:55 am Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

I knew my story would cause controversy,  but sometimes the truth hurts.

Oct 08 05 08:57 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

the problem with this analogy is models cant truly deliver 50% of the elements required in creating an image.

not only do i have about 3 to 4 times the amount of time a model has involved, i also have studio rent, insurance and business expenses, equipment and maintenence expenses that far outweigh a model hiriing an MUA or buying new clothes.

so not only should they not be getting half the credit..they should be paying..for what they do get...

i have seen great photographers make average models look good..but i have yet to see a great model make an average photographer look good...

Oct 08 05 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

What controversey? What truth?
It was how you see TFP/CD, but not exactly how it works.
And even if it was, the girl got a marketing tool, and the fact that's all she got was a Cost of Business decision. The photo, according to your story, should help her be able to sell her ingredients, something that she couldn't do before, because she was just starting out.

Why do you think models get "screwed" when they do TFP/CDs?
Unless the photographer is an ass and doesn't give them what was agreed to, they're getting what they expected and need.

Oct 08 05 09:01 am Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

The moral represents that most photogs forget the model is trying to earn a living, too.  You can't eat photos.  Maybe serious photogs need to evaluate how they are they helping the model, too.  It is a team effort and both should aim for the goal of both sides need to make some money.  I really think alot of photogs disrespect the model's goals and think the model is running a hobby.  Wow!  she got some the photogs great pics.  Now what?

Oct 08 05 09:03 am Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

P.S.  Most releases are so restrictive on the model that he/she can't do a damn thing witht the pics.  I have written many contracts and most releases are one sided or just plain stupid.  Most photogs pull one from a book or the web and don't care or understand what they are presenting to the models.  Not every photog is trying to hurt the model, but when was the last time the release language was truly understood?  Do you all know what the release is really saying?  Probably not!  People, this is a business, not a game.

Oct 08 05 09:10 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

GMH Images wrote:
The moral represents that most photogs forget the model is trying to earn a living, too.  You can't eat photos.  Maybe serious photogs need to evaluate how they are they helping the model, too.  It is a team effort and both should aim for the goal of both sides need to make some money.  I really think alot of photogs disrespect the model's goals and think the model is running a hobby.  Wow!  she got some the photogs great pics.  Now what?

if models are directing thier marketing towards photographers and not commerical clients, they truly dont have a clue how the industry works...

and i completely respect the models online..i would love to see them all get signed and get commerical work..but unfortunaltey, most dont have the real desire to make the effort required....so that makes them hobbiests..that are not trying to make a living from modeling.

Oct 08 05 09:11 am Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

Doug, you are partially correct.  But there are alot of hard working and serious models looking for a little direction.  Alot of photogs state they help models find work.  My experience has taught me this is not true most of the time.  If you say "help models", then one should do it.  My motto..."Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say".

Oct 08 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Reflections

GMH Images wrote:
Doug, you are partially correct.  But there are alot of hard working and serious models looking for a little direction.  Alot of photogs state they help models find work.  My experience has taught me this is not true most of the time.  If you say "help models", then one should do it.  My motto..."Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say".

Unfortunately there are plenty of GWC's who's idea of helping a model is to get them nekkid and take some pics, then send them to their "friend" who might have a project coming up...who will then try and get more nekkid pics and maybe some video, etc...

There were about 10 people coordinating to do this for a while last year in my area, and it's unfortunate but a little homework on the part of the model can go a long way towards staying away from that.

Oct 08 05 09:30 am Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
the problem with this analogy is models cant truly deliver 50% of the elements required in creating an image.

not only do i have about 3 to 4 times the amount of time a model has involved, i also have studio rent, insurance and business expenses, equipment and maintenence expenses that far outweigh a model hiriing an MUA or buying new clothes.

so not only should they not be getting half the credit..they should be paying..for what they do get...

i have seen great photographers make average models look good..but i have yet to see a great model make an average photographer look good...

chicken or the egg doug... i realize you truly believe the world swirls around your expensive cameras, and hey thats ok if thats your driving force behind what you do... ..... but check your whoppin mercenary ego at the door for a few seconds and think where you would be without the beautiful models who work in the presence of the Great One... ya just some guy standin on the beach with an expensive camera photographing seagulls... .. zzzzzzzzzzz

its wonderful you make money shootin pics.....  its just annoying to me... photogs who belittle the contributions a model brings to a shoot, which i believe outweigh their  expensive cameras..... and supersize their photographic end and on top of that whimper about how they should be paid for every breath they take when holding a camera because they spent a lot of money on it...... get over yaself smile

Happy Holidays !

Oct 08 05 09:56 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I love that story.

now how to you tell a cook his oven is crap?

Oct 08 05 10:01 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

MikeyBoy wrote:
get over yaself smile

boy you have jumped, illogically, to a lot of assumptions...but  i'm glad you have me pegged..i am sure every model i have ever worked with would certaniley point out just how wrong an indivdual could be, by using your description of me, as an example...

you dont know me or nothing about me or my MO..
but as an artists first..i can tell you with first hand knowledge, not just something i've heard.

..its the photographers art...

maybe in time, you learn something along those lines...

and if anyone was "equipment -centric"..that might be you..read: "First Canon 5D pic uploaded to MM"..lets all try to keep up with mikey...

Oct 08 05 10:19 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

GMH Images wrote:
...But there are alot of hard working and serious models looking for a little direction.  Alot of photogs state they help models find work.  My experience has taught me this is not true most of the time.  If you say "help models", then one should do it.  My motto..."Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say".

This gets to the core of it.  Photographers who say they can help models for the most part cannot.  Even well-placed, widely-published photographers are going to be limited by the quality of the model and by market demand.

Patrick Demarchelier doesn't hang here and no one at a lower level can create a supermodel, if even he can these days.

The late great Helmut Newton worked with models who clamoured to him to test.  As far as I can tell not one of the girls who modeled for his personal work benefitted beyond getting a few polaroids and maybe being shown in some of his books.  He promised nothing, paid nothing and delivered maybe polaroids or tear sheets.  (His advertising work was different, of course.)

Back in the bad old days I was persuaded to "help" a 5'9" 18-yr-old from Texas get into fashion modeling.  I worked with her and her mother down in Houston and arranged, in a roundabout way and with a lot of help from friends, for her to do a high profile charity runway show in Boston for both the exposure and the round-trip ticket, then got her an appointment with a major fashion agency in New York - not a walk-in, but an appointment - on her way home.  We'd gotten her some decent test shoots and her book was pretty solid.

She did the Boston show (with at least one girl who is here), then both of them flew directly back to Texas from Boston and blew off the agency visit.  All of my credibility and connections were flushed down the toilet with that one decision.

Now I don't promise anything but the pictures.  If a model wants anything more, she can shoot with someone else. 

As far as I can tell there are about half a dozen photographers here who really do have connections that can get a model (real world) work, but even they won't promise a thing.  If they see the girl and think she's good enough then they may work on it, but they won't promise anything until they've got something to hand her.

All the rest are liars.

-D

Edit:  I removed the agency name as I'm not sure that was the one.  Long time back.  But I am sure my friends would  all claim as much credit or more for setting this girl up as I am due.

Oct 08 05 10:23 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
All the rest are liars.

-D

Amen to that. 

I've had beginner/wanna be models tell others of the same ilk "he's so negative...[photographer X] says he can make my career" and it always rankles me.  The bullshit artists out there amaze me...from the creepy GWC's with nefarious motives to the talented egomaniacs with a couple of minor publishing credits who suddenly become star-makers in their own PR...
Then again, a lot of the "models" I run into are more influenced by Britney/Christina/Jessica/Paris than anything else...and are far more interested in celebrity than modeling or fashion.

Oct 08 05 10:51 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Vita Brevis wrote:
...from the creepy GWC's with nefarious motives to the talented egomaniacs with a couple of minor publishing credits ...

Hey!  I resent that!  I'm both of those.

-D

Oct 08 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

if models are directing thier marketing towards photographers and not commerical clients, they truly dont have a clue how the industry works...

and i completely respect the models online..i would love to see them all get signed and get commerical work..but unfortunaltey, most dont have the real desire to make the effort required....so that makes them hobbiests..that are not trying to make a living from modeling.

Hear Hear...  When did photographers become clients?

Oct 08 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

MikeyBoy wrote:

chicken or the egg doug... i realize you truly believe the world swirls around your expensive cameras, and hey thats ok if thats your driving force behind what you do... ..... but check your whoppin mercenary ego at the door for a few seconds and think where you would be without the beautiful models who work in the presence of the Great One... ya just some guy standin on the beach with an expensive camera photographing seagulls... .. zzzzzzzzzzz

its wonderful you make money shootin pics.....  its just annoying to me... photogs who belittle the contributions a model brings to a shoot, which i believe outweigh their  expensive cameras..... and supersize their photographic end and on top of that whimper about how they should be paid for every breath they take when holding a camera because they spent a lot of money on it...... get over yaself smile

Happy Holidays !

You are out of line...the "self" that needs to be "gotten over" is your own.

Oct 08 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

bencook2 wrote:
Hear Hear...  When did photographers become clients?

Photographers (and other artists) have always hired models.  Did I miss something here?

-D

Oct 08 05 11:11 am Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

The main problem here and with anyone not knowing is not understanding this is a two sided coin. Art and comercial, not to say you cant have artistic comercial gig or make a  little money selling art, its really a difference of focus. My focus is art, I do comercial (as in me getting paid) every now and then to make up some equipment expenses (which doesnt even come close.

As for model value, as the subject of the shoot they are most of that shoot as for photography in general there are plenty of pretty faces with dreams of runway and few talented people willing to invest thousands plus and time to learn the technicles of photography. So its not that the model doesnt bring 50% of the shoot (she brings more), it is that the model is only investing a few hours, where as the photogrpher has invested a lot more.
Model should always get at least print. Those limit distrubtion contracts we make models sign is to keep them from spreading the photos all over the internet with out our credit on it. It's plan to see whos modeling in a pic. It is very for starting photographer to protect they work from theft. I'm just starting (little over a year) in photography and have still found my photos on hotornot and other photography website without my credit on them.

Martin Coates IV
Photographer: Baton Rouge, La

Oct 08 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Hey!  I resent that!  I'm both of those.

-D

Aren't we all? But just being a werewolf doesn't neccesarily make you a bad person...

Oct 08 05 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

GMH Images wrote:
P.S.  Most releases are so restrictive on the model that he/she can't do a damn thing witht the pics.  I have written many contracts and most releases are one sided or just plain stupid.  Most photogs pull one from a book or the web and don't care or understand what they are presenting to the models.  Not every photog is trying to hurt the model, but when was the last time the release language was truly understood?  Do you all know what the release is really saying?  Probably not!  People, this is a business, not a game.

First, "REAL" releases have no business laying out usage rights for the model. That should be in a seperate licensing agreement between the photographer and the model. Most internet photographers have combined the two to save paperwork, but that is not what a release is for. No release is one sided. A release, to be a valid contract states that one person gets something for something they provide, in this case the photographer gets the right to the images (with all the legalese) in exchange for consideration. Consideration could be money, images or a combination of them both. Again, internet photographers have embelished here, laying out exactly what the will include, x amt of 8x10's, contact sheets, CDs, etc..., which is good, because then the model knows what to expect and being a contract, if the photographer does not live up to it, the contract is voided.

Oct 08 05 12:00 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Vito wrote:
[smartass mode] You'd almost think you were trying to be analogeous to a TFP/CD shooting arrangement - - but it's not!  [/smartass mode]

Funny. I liked that.

Vito wrote:
A TFP/CD model on the other hand didn't have to lay out money (or services) for her "body/face/look". Clothes she comes with, she had, and if she went out and bought new clothes, she is keeping them.  Secondly, a TFP/CD model is bringing home, usually, more than one "snapshot". In most cases, she is getting a few prints or at least, something SHE NEEDS, images to get her more/real paying work.

In an ideal world. Yes. But this isn't an ideal world. And, at a certain point you don't need anymore marketing tools. You need involvement AFTER the fact. Especially when your photographer is the type to give you raw images and turns around and edits the photos into something much mor workable leaving you assed out.

me wrote:
On her website is this rough image that she barely knows how to resize and ohh wow te color is just... On his website is the same image, beautiful, flawless...

Having her naively thinking "I didn't know I had that beautiful skin. Such color. When were WE in Venice? etc. Ohh it's for sale? Let me buy it."

Bad business deal for the woman with the ingredients, yes. Also, bad deal  or the tfp model. In tfp, everything is always negotiable. But, that is between t e two parties only. If what you agree to and are willing to give is accepted then everything is fine. If not, thenbtat's your choice.

Money:
I for one know you're not going to make any monetary gains off my image unless I have a reasonable percentage. Otherwise, pay me for my time. Alot of photogs are egotistical enough to feel that a model should work with them for free and the photog gets to do whateverhe/she wants. No, tfp is a collaborative effort.

And, yes, Hell Yes, she invests in the sjoot a  well. Her time, her energy, her skills, her image.

Time-
Do you think her time isn't of value?

Energy -
While you're snapping away she has to pose, stay mentally comfortable (no matter how physically uncomfortable she is) She has to put up with some photogs uneasy touching, looks, statements and mistreatment. Hell, most photogs are trying to get the model as naked as possible.

Skills -
Do you ask how much training she may have done up to that point. Money she's spent to learn all this. Or previous tfp's that the picked a few things up from.
Hell, the gas for driving there. Not many photogs go to the model. She comes to them.

Image -
If her image isn't that important then stand in the mirror and phhotograph yourself. Ifvyou believe she's that worthless then
save her the energy and do it all yourself.
For this industry this model is always changing her look, st le, body,etc. She invests in skin care, hair, clothes. [Yes, she buys clothes and keeps them. You buy cameras and filmm right? And you keep them.] She incests in her hygiene...shower, brushing teeth, et. Be around some who doesn't and you'll understand te statement..."Never miss something 'till it's gone."
She invests in her diet and execise. That ALL is a requirement for her. It's NOT a requiremennt for you. Just as buying equipment is a requirement for you. Not for her. So, p
ease underrstand a model's investment before you say she invests nothing. Simply because you don't have to do what she does you can't relate. The same way as she can't relate to your work. That is why you have each other.

And, in the end...she has toTRUST you with her image. It's a hassle, time-consuming and expensive to deal with photogs who misapropriate your image. And, ithe end most times there's nothing much you c n do about it. And, even if you are copyright holder...what's done is done.

So, please understand that ALOT is required of the model, just as you. And, then she has to hope for a good product. And, ladtly, alrhough you may consider yours lf to be very logical  and just at your approach. Most photogs(sadly) just aren't. And, have NO intention of being that way.

Oct 08 05 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Take a cardboard box and put frosting on it... it looks like a cake then, doesn't it?

Studio36

Oct 08 05 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

Vito,  You are on the right track up to a point.  I fully understand all facets of contract law.  Consideration is only one of five key elemnets to any valid contract.  However,  most releases used by uninformed photogs do not accurately state the consideration.  Also, I have seen TFP/CD releases stating the photog can sell the images and the poor model can not.  That is O.K. if the model agreed and got compenasated with money for the shoot or money to be determined after the sale. But why can the photog profit and the model can not?  Let us remember,  alot of these models are young and inexperienced in business matters.  If you are going to profit off the model, then pay the model, too.

Oct 08 05 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

MikeyBoy,  Well said.  Good man.

Oct 08 05 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

MikeyBoy wrote:

Happy Holidays !

Oct 08 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

TFP is about working together.
It really isn't a models problem how
much you've invested in equipment and
training.  It isn't yours to worry about
how much she's shot for TFP or invested
in clothing, etc.  Clients pay,
Not photographers.
Whats been said here is that lots of
great images have been produced by
testing.  Great shooters like Skrebneski and
and Newton and Avedon and Penn produced
fantastic work wich was published but not always
for commercial purposes  but for art.
It comes down to this.  If money for modeling
is your only focus.  Go to a modeling agency
be prepared to pay a few photographers.
After all you expect to always be paid for
services rendered.  Have the agents send you
to auditions and see what happens.
As a photographer the same.  Don't want
to do TFP.  Don't.  Its that simple.
I think most of the photographers here consider
themselves artists many have jobs that may pay well
but also have bills like models.
They can't afford to pay models hundreds of dollars
an hour.  Same for many models.
We both need each other.
Yes pros with great books don't truly need to
shoot with new people but testing is one of
the best ways to produce new and intresting work.

Oct 08 05 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

studio36uk wrote:
Take a cardboard box and put frosting on it... it looks like a cake then, doesn't it?

Studio36

Ahhh yes!  But, try and eat it.

Oct 08 05 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
TFP is about working together.
It really isn't a models problem how
much you've invested in equipment and
training.  It isn't yours to worry about
how much she's shot for TFP or invested
in clothing, etc.  Clients pay,
Not photographers.
Whats been said here is that lots of
great images have been produced by
testing.  Great shooters like Skrebneski and
and Newton and Avedon and Penn produced
fantastic work wich was published but not always
for commercial purposes  but for art.
It comes down to this.  If money for modeling
is your only focus.  Go to a modeling agency
be prepared to pay a few photographers.
After all you expect to always be paid for
services rendered.  Have the agents send you
to auditions and see what happens.
As a photographer the same.  Don't want
to do TFP.  Don't.  Its that simple.
I think most of the photographers here consider
themselves artists many have jobs that may pay well
but also have bills like models.
They can't afford to pay models hundreds of dollars
an hour.  Same for many models.
We both need each other.
Yes pros with great books don't truly need to
shoot with new people but testing is one of
the best ways to produce new and intresting work.

Hope I am not misuderstanding your point.  I agree with you until you lost me on a model should pay a photog that an agent sends her to.  Wrong!  The client pays the photog and model for the assignment.

Oct 08 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

GMH Images wrote:
Hope I am not misuderstanding your point.  I agree with you until you lost me on a model should pay a photog that an agent sends her to.  Wrong!  The client pays the photog and model for the assignment.

Actually, the booker will send the model to test photographers for portfolio pictures and the model will pay what the photographer charges for the service.  That is the way it's done.  This is now called "testing," a different meaning than it had in the Seventies.

The booker will also send the model out to go-sees and to assignments.  On a go-see the model will show up with her book, probably with other models, to be seen by an art director, photographer, or whatever.  Think of that as an audition.  There's no money going either way on a go-see. 

Assignments the model gets paid for.  That's when she's been selected to do the work.  That money can come from a photographer who's quoted the whole job to his client, including the model.  Or it can come from an ad agency with the model and shooter on separate cost lines.  Or it can come from a manufacturer that provides their own  photorgapher.  And so on.

-Don

Oct 08 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

That's how Pie Bear got his start.

Oct 08 05 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

GMH Images wrote:

Well frankly, until the model aquires the experience/ability to contribute to the production of commercially viable images, she shouldn't expect to be paid and it should be a hobby for her/him.

John

Oct 08 05 02:12 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

ThePoser

Holiday, Florida, US

MikeyBoy wrote:

Happy Holidays !

Dude, you need to step back and not judge people that you have no clue about. Doug is one of the most respectful, professional, passionate people I have ever met and he KNOWS the value of the model well and treats them VERY well.

I am just constantly amused at the extent of the disrespectfulness and unprofessionalism some of the members here display.

Kaire

Oct 08 05 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

MikeyBoy wrote:

Happy Holidays !

I have to ask, would you call a restaurant owner mercenary because he asks that you pay for your meal simply because you've shown up to try his food? 

Some things in life cost money, plain and simple.  I don't think it's fair to villify someone simply because they attempt to make a living by taking pictures.  Models have an opportunity to take what they get from a tfp shoot (if it's only pictures) and use it as a valuable marketting tool to make more money down the line, if they choose not to do so why should the photographer have to suffer?  I don't think Doug was saying that he was promising the model the world, just that in reality not everything comes free, and that commensurate consideration should be given for the things that don't.  If you're well enough off that it's not an issue, good for you, some of us would prefer to make a living doing something we love, as opposed to slaving away at a job that makes us miserable.

Oct 08 05 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

Howdy Folks !

wow.. awesome replies to my thread reply ... quite the cyber ass chewing  i must say ..ouch !...  smile 

You guys all gave some great responses in defense of Doug.....including Doug himself, who I have no doubt is the consummate experienced professioinal and well respected and does great work....  i never stated he wasnt....

My comments were directed at his stated attitude/philosophy that it is him and his artistsic vision alone being the main reason the girls he shoots are beautiful... sorry ... news flash... but these girls were already beautiful when they walked in your studio door.... they allowed you to work with them  .... and allowed you to attempt with your accumulated knowledge and investments to date to capture them visually in your own style... which you seem to do just fine.... no argument there either... just the expressed attitude that its all you......

thats how i see it... just me stickin up for the poor oppressed models and  expressing a little turnaround of the typically male "i'm the Boss cuz i got the camera, so you owe me big time"" attitude that pervades this industry.. i just dont subscribe to it... if that makes me a bad, awful person cuz i dare to disagree, then so be it .... 

I also consider it a privelege and an honor, not a constitutional right to make money, even though i do make my living from shooting, to be able to work on an equal level with models and I thank God that I have may have been blessed with a maybe a slight amount of ability to allow me to do so....

and as my Credits state on my MM bio... "i give ALL the credit to the models i have worked with.. all i do is push the button...... "

Happy Holidays !

Mikey

p.s.  The Canon 5D is one awesome camera....  smile~~

Oct 09 05 12:59 am Link

Photographer

GMH Images

Aurora, Illinois, US

Tim Downin wrote:

I have to ask, would you call a restaurant owner mercenary because he asks that you pay for your meal simply because you've shown up to try his food? 

Some things in life cost money, plain and simple.  I don't think it's fair to villify someone simply because they attempt to make a living by taking pictures.  Models have an opportunity to take what they get from a tfp shoot (if it's only pictures) and use it as a valuable marketting tool to make more money down the line, if they choose not to do so why should the photographer have to suffer?  I don't think Doug was saying that he was promising the model the world, just that in reality not everything comes free, and that commensurate consideration should be given for the things that don't.  If you're well enough off that it's not an issue, good for you, some of us would prefer to make a living doing something we love, as opposed to slaving away at a job that makes us miserable.

Yes, you should pay the restaurant for the meal.  But, the waitress, busboys, chef, etc. all contributed to the great meal.  And of course, you forgot about the supply chain...Where do you think the food and supplies came from for the restaurant to use?

Oct 09 05 06:37 am Link